Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / How does Al Green keep away the tourists, if he does?
Posted: Mar 27, 2014 6:58 am

I just made a post "Old Memphis TV we miss" when I depressed to Al Green.

Al Green in the 1970's was a World famous (well now, I live in China and hear his songs in bars now) musical artist.

He is now a minister. Does he have fans who come to Memphis, maybe for Elvis or whatever go to his church? Like I said, at one time, this guy was toe to toe with Marvin Gaye and his songs are classics now. How many people have come to him and asked to be married by him? Hell, I am white married to a Chinese woman and would love to have a Christian wedding by Reverend Al. That would so rule.

Of course, it seems Green eschews this. But I am interested how many international people come to Memphis just to hear Al Green preach? So much of Memphis is still about Elvis while this living rock star is still around. And a rocking African American church is not that much different from a rock concert. One thing I have read was that a sermon is very long, like four hours or so. Dunno. Are there any whites in his congregation. I think I would be very welcomed, but not so much because I believe I would believe on the dogma as to see Revered Green.
Posted: Mar 27, 2014 11:41 am

Tourists of all kinds find their way to his church, where he preaches when he's in town. The congregation is used to it. They make sure the donation plate heads towards the visitors, and the guests are usually asked to introduce themselves or at least acknowledge where they're from. Definitely welcomed. It is admittedly pretty strange that he's such a huge, pretty accessible star.
Posted: Apr 4, 2014 8:19 am

The congregation is incredibly welcoming. The time I went I wound up holding the cutest little chubby baby that was one of a set of twins. His Mother got up to sing, and just handed the babe to me!
It IS church, though. You should at least dress appropriately, and I didn't see anyone taking photos. It was a wonderful experience though.

I needed to have something 'blessed' by him, and the parishioners helped me - told me when the right time was to do that and tell him why. I did that, and he anointed and blessed ME too!
Posted: Apr 4, 2014 5:53 pm

Friend of mind showed up there one Sunday at the church in Whitehaven and found two white gals waiting on a bench --- they were from the UK and both presidents of their respective Al Green Fan Clubs.

They sat there while ever'body trickled in and finally Rev. Al pulled up in a white Rolls Royce and grabbed them & put them in the front row.
Posted: Apr 14, 2014 1:15 pm

I went with a friend a few years back and it was great. People were super-nice. He had played the night before at the Beale St. Festival.

And a rocking African American church is not that much different from a rock concert.
Posted: Apr 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Oops.

And a rocking African American church is not that much different from a rock concert.

This is true. The band was rocking and LOUD.

One thing I have read was that a sermon is very long, like four hours or so.

Actually I don't remember it being that long...an hour maybe?
Posted: Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm

The service I went to was more than 2 hours long. Don't go hungry.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®