Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Moving to memphis...
Posted: Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

my girl and i are moving to memphis from portland in mid-april. we've never been to memphis and just need a change of scenery. does anybody have any tips as far as where to/not to live in town? or really any helpful information about moving into town?

Noland
Posted: Feb 22, 2014 9:52 pm

my girl and i are moving to memphis from portland in mid-april. we've never been to memphis and just need a change of scenery

Hahahahaaaaaa! You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. I got a hundred bucks says you'll be back in Portland within a year.
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 2:09 am

ha! thanks!
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 2:12 am

but, no joke, anybody have some real shit?
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am

Complicated question, believe it or not. I asked a similar question 25 years ago when I moved to Memphis. Coming from landlocked Columbus, Ohio, I wanted a river view, an unfinished loft, if possible, for band practice. Before moving, I made a couple trips to Memphis to look for apts and houses and soon found no properties like that existed. Or, the ones that did were snatched up and I probably couldn't afford them anyway. Asking some people I knew and liked--they told me I would like midtown--but WARNED me--don't go west of Cleveland, east of E. Parkway, north of N. Parkway, and I can't remember the southern barrier, but at that time it was probably Central, as Cooper-Young was only beginning to be developed, no restaurants or stores, besides the Second Time Around thrift store, which is no longer there. Of course, this info is very outdated now. And, of course, I didn't take their advice then, moving to Binghampton and promptly getting burglarized. After the third incident in a year and a half, guess what, I moved to midtown! Of course, being pro-active can help against crime, having roommates, having a BIG dog, etc. After having two cars stolen, I began a routine of using THE CLUB on the steering wheel and disconnecting the battery cable at night, seemed to work, knock on wood. For me, the appeal of Memphis was the music culture and history, I smile at thinking I got to see the Fieldstones at Green's Lounge, Jessie Mae Hemphill and Booba Barnes at the Music & Heritage Fest, Junior Kimbrough at his club in Holly Springs, and Charlie Feathers at Bad Bob's Vapors, just to mention a FEW. In contrast to the culture, was the culture shock I experienced moving from a large University campus environment to Memphis. In 1989 there was no internet, no Goner records or Shangri-La records. You couldn't even buy a falafel sandwich in Memphis back then. No Gonerfest! Those times have changed, for better or worse, with the internet and cable tv leveling out things. (It was actually fun back then to read books and see live music) Another appeal for me was cheap rent, back then it was half of what we paid in Ohio, like going back in time 20 years. Of course, wages were also half!!!! I'm not sure how current rents compare with Portland. Cheap houses are abundant in Memphis, but if you find a $5,000 house (very easy to do Chelsea/Hollywood area, heck $50,000 would buy an entire street of homes) you probably won't get to sleep through the night without being murdered--kinda takes away from the bargain, doesn't it? I know my info is outdated and based on my personal experience, and I may be rambling at this point, but I would agree with Tim Teabag in that Memphis is not for everyone. But, I have really enjoyed living in Memphis, just the same.
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 12:05 pm

I pretty much moved here from Portland, and I blame Monsieur. You couldn't pay me to move back to Portland. Yes, midtown if you're the type of person who would be reading this board
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Seriously, I highly highly recommend visiting if possible before picking up and moving here. If your lifestyle is spartan and you are basically a step away from living in your car then I don't suppose it matters that much because you can easily pick up and leave whenever you want. OTOH, if you're talking about transporting loads of shit in uhauls and a good amount of money and effort to make the move, you really should know where you are going first. Being from here and having lived in Portland these are two places that are the polar opposite in so many ways. As Monsieur pointed out be prepared for culture shock, and not necessarily in good ways. I no longer live in the Memphis city limits but as pointed out by both Midtown is the only area I would live in if I moved back. If there were no Midtown there would be absolutely no reason to live in Memphis at all as far as I'm concerned.

Know what you're getting yourself into. I would hate six months from now you saying "Damn, that teabag guy on the goner board was right".
Posted: Feb 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Teabag, your posts are GREAT!
Witty AND funny!
Posted: Feb 24, 2014 4:06 pm

I used to live in Memphis and moved from the area about four years ago.

Crime IS high, but a lot of good entertainment and food.

There are upscale neighborhoods, but they are UPSCALE.
Posted: Feb 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks for all if the input! I was already looking at midtown and I appreciate the confirmation. The crime doesn't really bother me to much, but I'd rather avoid it if possible. Thanks again!
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 9:28 am

On more thing on that- there's bad blocks in good neighborhoods and good blocks in bad neighborhoods, in Midtown and all over Memphis. Check out the neighborhood before you rent and if you can, ask someone from here about where you're moving.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Too many GREAT restaurants to name. But right now I'd like to have some fried green tomatoes from Kooky Canuck's.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Oh yeah. Food!
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Also, do you have kids/do you have school concerns?
I love living in the Berclair/Summer-Graham area.
10 minutes from the west edge of midtown, but also kind-of near everywhere. Not as expensive as midtown with good/cheap homes.
I've lived in this neighborhood for over 10 years.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Also, Eric's comments about good/bad neighborhoods in bad/good areas is absolutely true.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Bring a large dog and/or shotgun
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

I suggest stopping in Memphis long enough to eat some barbecue then drive on to Asheville, North Carolina. Much nicer alternative. If I didn't have these damn kids and a ferret I'd leave tomorrow.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Teabag, I guess there's no female to keep you there?
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm on the Teabag tip on this. Once the boy is 18, goodbye Memphis, hello San Diego. I will join a Latino gang if I have to.
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm

You will have to join 3 gangs to afford rent in San Diego.
Posted: Feb 26, 2014 7:55 am

I've got it all figured out. I will sleep during the day on the beach and then stay up all night. Then I won't have to have an apartment. Live off the land.
Posted: Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

whadatsay,
Get a head start...you can probably join a Latino gang in Memphis. Just sayin'.
Posted: Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am

Man, that is a fucking great idea. I already frequent most of the restaurants on Summer Ave. Maybe I can get "jumped in" here and then just transfer that to the San Diego chapter. That would save me a bunch of time. If I could get in a gang then maybe I will finally be allowed to go into La Granja.
Posted: Feb 27, 2014 9:39 am

whadatsay, great plan. "Brothers" have to stick together.
Posted: Feb 27, 2014 10:01 am

hermanos, esse. hermanos.
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 11:57 am

Late to the conversation and something not stated is that Memphis is hotter than hell in the summer. If you have never loved in the Southeast or Midwest! it is something to get used to. Memphis and the region has also spates of violent weather,tornadoes and high winds, hail and thunderstorms.

The landscape here is boring unless you like flat cotton fields. The nearest ocean is 300 miles away in Mississippi Gulf Coast and it sucks, and the nearest mountains are really 300 miles in Eastern Tennessee. Not like in Portland where the oceans and the mountains are nearby.

I met a musician from Sweden (but talked and acted American) that he went to New Orleans and wanted to live there. Well, you really don't. Memphis is the same way. Crime, bad weather, a racist demographic, a corrupt local government, and a city in decay. I would LOVE to live in Portland. Love it. Cool weather, mostly white people, beautiful scenery about. I have a high school friend who lives in Oregon and showed me pictures. Weed is legal in nearby Washington State, Oregon is a medical marijuana state. Tennessee sucks donkey balls, especially West Tennessee.

Visit for a week or two and then see if you want to live here. If I were still in Memphis, I would show you around, the good, bad and the ugly of the place.
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Noland, If you made it to Memphis, congrats. I hope you enjoy your stay. I moved to Memphis from Portland in 89 and I was shocked to say the least. But, I grew to love it. If I weren't in Pittsburgh to be with kiddo, I would be back in Memphis tomorrow. I miss that fucking place.
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Either your plans got diverted Noland, or you are dead. Either way, Welcome to Memphis.
Posted: Aug 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Joe Buddha! Go Steelers!
I'm in Hburg.
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 8:54 am

NICE DTRAIN! Gonna try to make any games this season? If so, you have a place to stay and plenty of iron city to drink.
Posted: Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks man! One day I hope to grace the stands of Heinz Field.
Gotta save my pennies.
Posted: Sep 19, 2014 11:49 am

DTrain:

Going to the game November 2nd. Steelers VS Ravens. They are retiring Joe Greene's jersey. I can get my hands on more tickets. Make it happen.
Posted: Sep 20, 2014 8:04 am

Let me see if I still have a job at that time. If not, I'm there! I'm selling all my stock right now am completely burnt out with the rat race. So yeah, let me see what I can do..
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm in! How much are tickets and how many can ya get?
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Are you on the face space? Hit me up and we make it happen. I know I need to 2 tickets right now.
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 9:31 am

Rock and Roll. I am supposed to call my guy and let him know how many I need. I am on the book of faces.
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Boogie woogie is incredibly wrong about the scenery and beauty part. First of all their is a beautiful river with an nice parks and a peaceful river walk recently outfitted with a fitness trail. The city is full of trees and is amazing during a month in spring when the azaleas bloom. It is not that far from the Ozark and personally I don't think a five hour drive is prohibitive from visiting the Smokies any weekend you want. There are a ton of places to fish and kayak and whatever. It's also reasonable to go any weekend to new Orleans or other cool places like Clarksdale, Holly Springs etc. Anyways Memphis certainly has its problems and can be frustrating. But I love it and it is simply not correct to say that the landscape is a a weakness.
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 7:55 pm | Edited by: dtrain

I can't find you on the book of faces. I'm on there as Memphis Mike
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 4:27 pm

Gonna deff need 3 tickets at this point. Holler on the face place. I can't find you on it. My wife hates football so she ain't comin. Gonna be me, Jill and Al if that's cool. Thanks!
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 12:03 am

Justice- Indeed. I drive down the Parkways and the tree-lined streets are awesome. I love Summer & Lamar, too, but there's tons of great stuff to see in Memphis. No hills, though.
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 1:15 pm

dtrain, sent you a friend request. I have a couple friends coming up from memphis. I can score six tickets, so we are in good shape. Not sure of price yet, but I can let you know.
Posted: Oct 8, 2014 10:35 pm

I admire how some Memphians can find beauty in hell but if yall bubba-ize The Pyramid, Memphis shall be cursed!
Posted: Oct 9, 2014 9:19 am

You mean we weren't already cursed? If you've seen how much of the pyramid they've jacked up, there's plenty of room for that giant Billy Bass singing "Take Me to the River" we were all hoping for. If we could get some giant pink flamingos in the river, though, that's what I'm hoping for.
Posted: Oct 16, 2014 2:12 am

Teabag, where are you?
Posted: Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm

San Borja, Bolivia. It's a little south of Boston.
Posted: Nov 14, 2014 4:50 pm

I agree with eric. Once you drive down germantown pkwy you just fall in love with this city.
Posted: Nov 20, 2014 12:43 am

circuit city and the black dads is a really offensive name. I mean, I do love the g'town p-way but at what cost?? Steve Harvey signing out.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®