Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Ooooold Memphis AM radio question (well, 1970's old...)
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 8:00 am

Living in Raleigh, I remember plopping down in front of the parent's console stereo and listening to (I guess) top 40 AM back in the mid and late 1970's. Rick Dees was on it, for sure, but Wiki shows the call sign was WMPS AM 680. I seem to remember there was a WHBQ (and mistakenly thought it was the same channel). I also seem to remember the frequency was 500. If anyone remembers, were both Top 40? Did they simultaneously exist?
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 8:11 am

If it's any help, sure I remember lots of disco, but riding around in the car as a small child, I definitely remember Rolling Stones "Missing You", the Eagles "Witchy Woman", etc. as Mom would park at the Sears in the Raleigh Springs Mall to go pick up some catalogue order or go to the Giant (Montessi's?) grocery or hit the library after being picked up from the Educare across from Skateland, then later Raleigh Egypt from '76 and beyond. Maybe more memories than facts pertaining to the original question, but maybe it strikes a spark. I don't remember FM until maybe '78.
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 1:22 pm

WMPS was 680 and WHBQ was 560....when I was a kid i could turn the thumbwheel on my am radio with lightning fast speed between those two stations
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 1:26 pm

Not sure about the seventies but in the late sixties both were top 40. My dad was a DJ for WMPS in the late sixties. As a matter of fact he had the #1 rated show in Memphis for awhile. He introduced Jimi Hendrix to the Memphis airwaves. The cool thing in those days was a DJ on commercial radio had the freedom to occasionally throw in something he exclusively wanted to play for an audience as opposed to the strictly corporate paint by numbers formats we have today outside college or independent radio stations. My mother was a DJ on Sam Philips all female radio station for about six months so I've got a little DJ history in my blood.
Posted: Jan 8, 2014 7:49 am

I can't say much about AM radio in the 70s as I was graduated and gone by 72 but growing up in the 60s I have fond memories.WHBQ and WMPS were big competitors with each other for the young white kid audience.They played lots of Brit invasion stuff along with Elvis,occasional local rockabilly and some more traditional pop stuff...Dean Martin etc.They also gave some local high school garage bands some airplay.The announcers were real entertainers back then and had their own following.George Klein had the night shift on WHBQ.Charlie Watson who later went on toe be a long time weather guy was the morning guy on WMPS.He went by "Emperor Watson".Somewhere deep in a shoebox somewhere I have my membership card in his fan club with a picture of him in a regal robe and crown.I am too young to remember the great Dewey Phillips but he did his show on WHBQ ten years earlier.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®