Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Like Flies on Sherbert LP live redux at Hi Tone 12/28/13
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Yep, more Chilton ghoulism from me, but I think Jake Vest had the idea of redoing this record live a few years back way before I did. And then Rumple suggested I think of assembling a band to redo it on stage earlier this year. Since four of the original nine players on the record are dead, that only leaves little old big me and less than a handful of other people who mostly live out of town who actually recorded it in 1978-79. Rather than attempt a total geezer ghoulfest, the performer lineup will be a bit more current and mostly under the half century mark. The Like Flies redux band at the moment includes: Steve Selvidge, Jake Vest, Adam Woodard, Jeremy Scott, Kip Uhlhorn, and, for good or ill, myself on drums with perhaps some help from the other original drummer on the record, Richard Rosebrough, if he is not out of town. With special guest appearances from Lesa Aldridge (who sang on the record and who will also open the show as well), Monsieur Jeffrey Evans (playing live at DKDC 12/27, the night before), the mighty Joe T, Richard James, and maybe even Alex Greene. Plus there are likely to be stage invaders and last minute additions/cancellations. Like the original recording of Flies, I suspect it might be a messy trainwreck at times, but things sounded really good last week at practice with Steve Selvidge playing the part of the late Alex Chilton. If you have a taste for post-Xmas trainwrecks then come stare at the Hi Tone on the 28th of this month.
Posted: Dec 18, 2013 4:58 pm

THIS IS NOW on facebook.

like it, post it, shred it, dedact it, deduct it, glazed duck it, I don't care, just go!

https://www.facebook.com/events/476047312516440/476097482511423/

With the following blurbage!

A tribute to the classic anarchic Alex Chilton album with Ross Johnson, Steve Selvidge, Jake Vest, Jeremy Scott, Kip Uhlhorn, Alex Greene, and Adam Woodard performing the entire album.

Special Guest: Lesa Aldridge.

Appearances by Msr Jeffrey Evans, Richard James, Joe T Simpson, Marcella Renee Simien and more.

Surprises guaranteed.

Lesa Aldridge will open the show.

Doors at 7pm, music at 8. $10.

Presented by Goner Records
Posted: Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Alex Greene will also be joining the festivities Saturday night on either guitar or a keyboard of some sort. Not sure what Alex will play, but he is gonna play something. Also, the other original drummer on the record, Richard Rosebrough, will be joining me, the living drum fossil, behind the tubs on a few tunes or maybe for the whole set. Dunno yet about that; we shall see though. Original Panther Burns alum and 1970 White Station High School graduate, Rick Ivy, will be there too. And there is rumor of Harlan doing a couple of Chris Bell tunes with Bunny/Jeff Dutton at this Chilton bday tribute. Sounds fitting and proper to me. More additions to be posted here as they become known to my dim, fading mind.
Posted: Dec 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Oh, and per Eric O's request, the music will actually start at 8 or so. There will be an act or two (probably involving Joe T, Richard James, Alex Greene, my ever looming presence, and whoever else shows up that can play some Chilton-styled material) before Lesa Aldridge does her rather brief 7 song "official opening act" set. So I am not sure when the Like Flies redux will actually begin, but it could be at a reasonable hour. I will let Goner mgmt sort out start times when we get there, but there will be some noise generated from the stage for most of the evening. Not sure if that is meant to be reassuring or not, but if you arrive a bit early then we will try to entertain you as best we can.
Posted: Dec 27, 2013 11:56 am

Harlan and Bunny/Jeff Dutton are likely to show up to do a couple of Chilton tunes as will also my cuz, Brad Pounders. I know...a whole lot of Alex goin' on. Hopefully, the event will be rather profane and less than respectful. And certainly not sentimental either. Unrecognizable cover versions and plenty of tunes that may not have a damn thing to do with him or his memory. The man was not into nostalgia, believe me. As I'm gonna remind everyone here and also on stage Saturday night, I believe that Alex would have hated this event, but...hell, let's do it anyway.
Posted: Dec 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Harlan and Bunny/Jeff Dutton are likely to show up to do a couple of Chilton tunes as will also my cuz, Brad Pounders. I know...a whole lot of Alex goin' on. Hopefully, the event will be rather profane and less than respectful. And certainly not sentimental either. Unrecognizable cover versions and plenty of tunes that may not have a damn thing to do with him or his memory. The man was not into nostalgia, believe me. As I'm gonna remind everyone here and also on stage Saturday night, I believe that Alex would have hated this event, but...hell, let's do it anyway.
Posted: Dec 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Oops, sorry about that last message appearing two times in a row. So nice this tech challenged senior had to post it twice. Rockin' Papaw descends further and less than gracefully into dementia. Come witness my not so slow slide Saturday.
Posted: Dec 28, 2013 12:51 pm

TO NIGHT!
Posted: Dec 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Fantastic. Thanks to all who played and listened.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®