Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / RIP Daniel D
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 2:10 am

I don't know how many of you met Daniel, but he'd been coming to shows pretty regularly for the last year or so. He was the big guy with the beard and tons of energy who was usually up front dancing, screaming and generally having more fun than the rest of us. Sadly, he died Saturday.

I hope a few of you got to meet him. This community of people meant a lot to him. If you post here and play music, chances are that your band meant a lot to him. For the last year or two, he'd been driving about 90 miles from Sedgwick, AR to come to shows. I think he may have interviewed a few of you. I know he had plans to talk to more and write a bunch of stuff about how great your band is. He was a true one-of-a-kind and among the smartest, kindest people I've known. He'll be missed.
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 11:23 am

Real big guy that I thought was Mark Beef?

The ones who make that extra effort to get to these things that most folks take for granted are the real heroes. Driving 90 miles for shows regularly is no joke.

RIP.
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah, that was him.

Here's a short video I found of him being awesome in a band he played in a few years ago:
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 1:21 pm

May recognize him better with this photo from a few weeks ago with John Wesley Coleman and Co.: http://hexbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/JWC_Doyle._web-300x199.j pg
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Daniel was a brilliant writer, a good-hearted man, and fiercely passionate about the causes and scenes he supported. He was truly a unique character -- a hellraiser, a partier, a journalist, an academic, an asshole, a musician, a friend, and he will be missed. The level of energy he brought to shows never failed to make me jealous. It's a total shock that he's gone, especially at such a young age.

If any of y'all had been emailing any interview stuff with him and think some it may be usable, let me know and maybe we can still get his work out there. Considering how music and writing so defined him, I think he'd like that.
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 8:26 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Daniel at Goner Fest this past year. He had emailed Ex-Cult a month or so ago asking some of the most interesting questions that we've gotten since starting the band. He was very interested in the bands political leanings and so forth. His questions seemed very well thought out and weren't your typical "so...how'd you get into punk" type inquiries. Also, anyone who saw Daniel in the crowd during a band he liked saw some SERIOUSLY one of a kind dance moves and antics. From my short interactions with Daniel, I'd say he pretty much embodied the essence of not giving a fuck. I'll miss seeing him in the crowd.

Chris / Ex-Cult
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 10:18 am

anyone who saw Daniel in the crowd during a band he liked saw some SERIOUSLY one of a kind dance moves and antics.

I had never seen that dude until we played with you guys last month. Definitely stood out in the crowd. Too bad about his passing. He had some controversial views on dead hooker jokes.
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am

RIP. Met him a few times. Truly awful news.
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm

damn nice dude :(
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I absolutely loved talking to him anytime i saw him. Awesome guy. This is very sad news. RIP
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Didn't know him, wish I had. RIP.
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

i met him and there was an attempt at an interview.nice dude and also assertive.but he was never to persistant on anything pertaining to the development of an article.saw him in the front row losing it.props and creds.RIP
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®