Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Good Job Memphis
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Biker dude mentioned at the end: Come forth! Reveal your identity!
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 10:12 pm

This article makes me proud to now live in memphis.
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Ha! Nice job commentors.

What'd you get banned for George?
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 8:53 am

I'm a little confused by the thesis of this review of the Roky Erickson show. Is it that she and her GIRLFRIEND weren't attracted to the women there or that they were surprised people in the south ate pizza?
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 9:11 am

I'm over it, and found my solace in a Golden Girls episode.

Sophia: Jean is a lesbian.
Blanche: What's so bad about that?
Sophia: You're not surprised?
Blanche: Well I haven't known any personally but isn't Danny Thomas one?
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 10:16 am

This was written by the MUSIC EDITOR no less. ha..
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 10:56 am

I like to imagine that applying for a job at Vice is like going through bizarro security at the airport.

first they swab your hands for cocaine residue, but you can only pass if it shows up.

second they check your id, and you can only pass if you have a Brooklyn driver's license, or if you don't have a driver's license because it's not cool to drive in nyc. then they ask you if you have extremely poor or naive taste in music, culture, and art.

Third they make you go through the big radio wave scanning machine, and a brown rotten asshole must show up on the security screen.

If you make it through all that, congratulations! You are now a Vice employee!
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am

I actually looked into an internship vice and they told me my GPA wasnt high enough haha.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm perfectly fine with Memphis being a yankee deterrent
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Kelly McClure? Girl with the same name used to run with the man with gun crew in Memphis a million years ago. Saw her in Brooklyn a long time ago at the the happy birthday hideaway at a japanther show. Coincidence? I think that's your culprit.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Cancel that. I just saw a picture of her on Vice and its not the same girl. Nevermind.

I enjoyed the article.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I know who you're talking about, Mike. Not the same womyn at all
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Right on!! We ran off someone writing about Roky who didn't know who Roky was, yet expected to get into the show for free. Added plus - no one knew who she was or gave a shit about her that night. I love this city.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I also don't get the implication that this dumb bitch's GIRLFRIEND (in all caps to emphasize the inherent hipness of same-sex love) lives in Memphis, but doesn't understand what time shows start, how far away hotels are from midtown, nor what a "sound check" is.

I also don't get why any of the banal pseudo-urbanite trash bankrolled by Vice gets a rise out of me anymore.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 6:46 pm

For a lesbian, she sure seems to hate women.
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 8:55 pm

funny how that suggests she's a fake ass brooklyn poseur.
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 8:18 pm

People are stupid. Especially if they think their opinion(s) are important.

Yankees are stupid. Just talk to one........

.......or just take my word for it.
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Who cares about that cunt?
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I wish I had gone to the show, now.
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

I want to believe "the drunk girl" from the story is Heather... Or misslinda.
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm

adam woodard's comment -- whoa:

"It has taken longer than I would have imagined but hipsterdom's protracted yet inevitable slog to total irrelevance has finally found its pathetic conclusion with the writing of this historic article. This... THIS we will say was the moment when we knew the Pabst party had gone three tall boys past last call. And Kelly McLure will be remembered not as a villain serving the coup de gras but as an unwitting anti-martyr; the product of a machine that values style over substance; a simpleton plucked from obscurity by destiny and given the grizzly task of slaying a beast that was already mortally wounded. Lester Bangs was dead before Kelly was born but only now, with this article, has the world of underground music journalism that he helped create finally succumbed to the inexorable sepsis induced by years of deriving your sole sustenance from your own shit. Drink up, the bar's closed... go home."
Posted: Nov 23, 2012 8:22 am

Someone took a "Creative Writing" class.

Even though I share musical tastes with Ole' Lester, his opinion has the same effect on me.

Nada!
Posted: Nov 23, 2012 8:24 am

What does being a "Hipster" have to do with it?
I guess I need to read the article again.
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 1:40 am

@misslinda i don't think adam woodard or whoever meant anything specific by his using the term hipster, a word that operates as a sort of never-defined, ungraspable method of social antagonism. but the commenter was "otherizing" the author of that vice article as a reaction to her own otherization of everything on the planet that isn't new york, so as a fat guy from rural arkansas i liked it. but if you want to say hipster means something specific (and surely it means lots of different things to different people in the post-beatnik world) then maybe his use of that word was unhelpful

yeah yeah big words fuck off
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am

I like the use of the word "Cocksucker", but it's just as relevant as "hipster".

I read the article again, and found it to be whimisical, and educational.

I like reading "The Onion".
I like Andy Kaufman.
I like when others emulate these characteristics.
So, in conclusion, I like this article, and wish there were more like it.
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 10:25 am

Maybe I should just use the term "Cocksucker", whether it pertains logically or not, to any noun of my choosing.

Goddamn Cocksucker.
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Ain't life a cocksucker? Four years of college a.nd you get a job counting Mr. T's money.
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 12:36 am

Of course it is!
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 3:18 pm

the day this article posted we all bombarded her twitter acct

and damn ten minutes later her acct was private - guess she couldn't stand us fat southerners calling her a retard for flying to memphis just to see some band (they were ok) open for ROKY !

shitiots.
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 4:14 pm

I hope her fucking slice of pizza had vegetables on it.
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 7:48 pm

some of the newer comments have me howling. She presumed there was no culture to be found in Memphis, but she probably grew up in Danbury, CT.
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Saw duckworths comment, think she has ever heard of the gun club?
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 8:20 am

I hope she comes back to Memphis,and signs up on the Goner Bulliten Board. I LOVE HER!!!!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 8:44 am

Jim's style of writing is like a million years old. If you don't need to learn how to play an instrument to put out a record, why would you need to learn "how to write" to be published.....DUH?!?!

"Like" is the new "Cocksucker"!
Get "with it", old man!
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 8:47 am

I want every article I read, from now on, to read like a script from a prime time TV show.
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 8:49 am

.......but with the word "cocksucker" used, like, a million times.
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm

amen bruce!
Posted: Dec 2, 2012 8:57 am

I'm over it, and found my solace in a Golden Girls episode.

Sophia: Jean is a lesbian.
Blanche: What's so bad about that?
Sophia: You're not surprised?
Blanche: Well I haven't known any personally but isn't Danny Thomas one?

This will be my morning prayer, facing toward Jerusalem, for my remaining time here on earth.
Posted: Dec 7, 2012 10:59 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®