Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Midtown Goings On
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 11:42 am

Favorite weekly rental place at Jefferson / Cleveland burned down a few weeks back. Garden was going real nice.

Midtown Skate Shop opens up on Mclean next door to Scrogers, who has not yet been seen nolling over Dino's customers.

Bicycle rim globe sculpture up next to the flea market across from Sears Tower. Looks cool.

(Much better than the wave of innertube art the dominated CY Fest this year... recycling=cool. trash art=cool. righteous recycling crap art = not cool.)

(And props to the NFL scarves / gear bootleg lady at the CY Fest with the NO PHOTOS signs everywhere. Kinda gives away the fact that you know it's illegal... don't it.)

CY Fest has grown to cover most of Midtown. G'damn.

Crumpy's Wings on Jackson near new Tops BBQ = new Memphis food corridor?

What else has been going on?
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I hear they're building a big ass ditch/parking lot somewhere!
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Anybody been to the new eatery at mclean and lamar? It always seems to be a fish market, but now it's chicken, chicken and waffles place. I'm trying it out this week.
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 2:21 pm

5 guys on union.
4 guys on Cleveland.
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Jerry- Richwad reported to me about the eatery at McLean & Lamar- said it was BAD ASS. Great chicken. Took a while as your chicken gets cooked when you order it, as it should be.

Some crazy backstory with the owner, too, but I don't know more on that. Maybe someone else can fill that in.

That corner has been cursed for a while- wish 'em luck.
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:00 pm | Edited by: eric o

The AA Biker / coffee bar / Old Lupe & Beas / Chuckie's Chicken (?) / site of Reatards after show at GF1 is for rent again.

And there's a punk venue over there somewhere but I haven't figgered out where.

Biggest news - Union Ave Post Office move.
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:51 pm

been to the post office once, was a pleasant experience compare to union
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 10:13 am

new eatery at mclean and lamar? It always seems to be a fish market, but now it's chicken, chicken and waffles place.

This place had been in limbo ever since we bought our place on Walker in '05. Nice to see it open. Probably will generate a lot of trash all over the place though.
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Too busy working on my conceal/carry permit to noll over Dino's customers. Preparing for the influx of goddamned punks in the neighborhood.
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 3:55 pm

So awesome that a skate shop is open in my neighborhood! Hopefully kids at snowden will get into skateboarding. I went by on a sunday and I guess it was closed but I'm looking forward to getting some new wheels whenever I can get in there.
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

are there laws in Memphis about proximity of bars to churches and schools? Cause it drives me nuts that there aren't any bars on McLean between N Pkwy and Jackson.
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Yeah, there are laws. Sometimes bars can petition the neighborhood or sometimes they get grandfathered in. The Young Avenue Deli is across the street from a school, and The Beauty Shop is next door to a church.
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 5:54 pm

those laws have always seemed strange. so a bar can tempt the schoolkids and the churchgoers down the path to sin. how come it does not work the other way and every bar has to have a church on either side of it to save those poor drunkards?
Posted: Sep 18, 2012 3:51 am

how come it does not work the other way

I thought you were gonna ask why churches didn't have to be a certain distance from bars to keep from tempting the drunks into sobriety.
Posted: Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Dont' forget the consignment store on Madison! Relocating from Hickory Hill!
http://www.mybconsignment.com/
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 10:38 am | Edited by: eric o

Hemant! That looks "tight!"

Not Midtown, but guy on Germanytown Parkway with sign not pointing towards a store buying Gold but a THRIFT STORE?
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 10:31 pm

skateshop broken into last night, board and some sweatshirts taken
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 11:51 am

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Jeez.
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 3:35 pm

That sucks.
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Any idea what time it happened? I left the house around 3:45, and it didn't look broken into. I noticed because I was lookin' at those giant windows and thinkin' "somebody's probably gonna end up smashing those out".
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm

gd that is retardation.
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Probably been a while, but Bear Cave (Cove?) on East Parkway is for lease.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 9:36 am

Kroger bought all the property around the Union location and will be expanding/ rebuilding it soon.. I actually didn't mind the smaller size, but people been clamoring for a full-size store for a while.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 12:56 pm

I could never figure out if Bear Cave was a gay bar
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

I actually didn't mind the smaller size, but people been clamoring for a full-size store for a while.

My least favorite of the 11,386 locations in town. Owing not only to the size but also to 1) weird store layout (can never find anything but at least now I remember the soda is next to the feminine hygene products - why I have no idea.) and 2) the awful parking lot. Surprised there aren't accidents on a weekly basis there.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I was trying to figure out what this "Bear Cave" was that you speak of. I checked out the google maps street view. It's obviously quite old as the Zippin' Pippin' is still there on the other side of the street. In the "Bear Cave" location is a joint called "Mail Quest". Obviously it's been a string of gay bars. I can't believe Tommy didn't know about them, or perhaps he was just keeping them to himself.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Cort said he wandered in there one night and left a different man....whatever that means.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm

whats the status of SUBSHOP on highland closing - with all the talk and print flying around i don't know what to believe!?
Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:15 am

A friend went in to visit yesterday. They will be open another 6 months at the current location while they find a new spot. This si from the store itself, so I assume it's right. But, who knows.
Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:04 pm

I actually didn't mind the smaller size, but people been clamoring for a full-size store for a while.

The size of that store doesn't bother me... its the fact that in their small space they don't seem to ever stock a single product I'm interested in eating.
Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Bear Cave was playing a nice selection of old hip-hop, funk, and R&B. The Korean-American bartender was pretty. We were the only honkies in there. I entered and left with the same man. His name is Pappy.
Posted: Sep 22, 2012 1:14 pm

And what a man.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

indeed!

Pappy for Prez!!
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

He's the "Yellin' Guy"!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:35 am

Not any more. I'll be there in 48 hours.
Get ready for some YELLIN!

POKE CHOP! HEE HAWW!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:09 am

The Korean-American bartender was pretty.

As pretty as the Gangam Style guy?
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Do Sushi is closed.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 3:53 pm

D'oh
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Mulan must of drove them outta business. Abe has the last laugh.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Abe defected to Kwik Chek
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, but Mulan never fired him for smelling like a diseased goat.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 5:28 pm

dang.
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Chicago Pizza Factory Building getting gutted...

Giant hole in the ground in the middle of Overton Square parking lot... accelerating Overton Square's decent into hell?
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

hellmouth. where's our buffy? better yet, where's our eliza dushku?
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Giant hole in the ground in the middle of Overton Square parking lot... accelerating Overton Square's decent into hell?

ha!
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 8:02 pm

The hole in Overton Square is actually a retention basin, to hold excess stormwater so that it can drain more slowly down the creek and not flood (as badly) those people's basements across the street from Overton Park. A 2 story parking garage will be built on top of it and we're doing the engineering for the relocated Hattiloo theatre that will sit adjacent.
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Retention basin for all eternity, you mean! Have never heard of humans referred to as "excess stormwater," but there is no limit to the horned one's trickery. I won't fall for it, nope.
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 11:48 pm

just got news that do will re-open on november 1st as a taco shop. I am excited about this. Hopefully it will be better than the one from a year or two back. Karen is still the owner, so i have faith in it.
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 9:52 am

Yeah, but Mulan never fired him for smelling like a diseased goat.
im sure you can find it in the menu i think its number 126.for the record i didnt get fired for smelling likea goat in heat.assmunch.i was living at the peoples temple.old macdonalds dude farm.
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 12:07 pm

just got news that do will re-open on november 1st as a taco shop. I am excited about this. Hopefully it will be better than the one from a year or two back.

Difference between Karen and the yutz who owned the place you're referring to is that Karen a) knows how to run a business, b) does not attempt to pee in the plants during dinner service, and c) does not throw plates at employee's heads. Of course, b) and or c) could liven up the place a bit.
Posted: Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm confused Abe, did they or did they not think you smelled like a goat (even though you smelled like mucho hombres)?

Retention basin = Sherman's butt cave.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:14 am

who is mucho hombres?i smelled like a so called goat because i lived at the peoples temple and everybody stunk that lived there.we had no a.c. and it was in the summertime.basically im trying to prove to you on the grounds of firing one for hygiene.a diseased goat would in fact smell ten times as worse than a goat in heat.get your story straight there Mr.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

ok.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:51 am

your van smells like leper baby shits.your breath smells like mermaid pussy.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

Mulan has fallen from grace in the punk community.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 11:03 am

Retention basin = Sherman's butt cave.
hahaha where the butt bats dwell.
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Mulan has fallen from grace in the punk community.

commie gutter punks probably hate on jungle book, too
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Chris, I cant stop laughing over your post above.
Posted: Oct 26, 2012 11:05 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Chicago Pizza Factory Building getting gutted...

The sign on that store front has been misleading prospective diners for nearly thirty years.
Posted: Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Chris, I cant stop laughing over your post above.

Ha!

At one point nearly the whole Mulan delivery staff was associated with Goner in one way or another. 3/5ths of Ex-Cult worked there, Abe, Jack O,and Alex Gates all did time as well.

Mulan will not profit off the backs of muscians any longer. The iron curtain made of Kebabs is in shreds, "Chinese cocktails" pour into the streets.
Posted: Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Sounds apocalyptic over there. Have the sounds of gunfire ceased yet?
Posted: Oct 26, 2012 11:29 pm

XYZ is about to re-open as Balewa's vegan w/ "live" burgers. Dude used to have a stand at Shawn's cafe. Had the vegan thing once, wasn't too bad.
Posted: Oct 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Mulan will not profit off the backs of muscians any longer. The iron curtain made of Kebabs is in shreds, "Chinese cocktails" pour into the streets.
here here Chris. ungrateful chinese wannabe mophia motherfuckers.i say boycott that place i thought about a couple of destructive things to do.but yeah i quit.
Posted: Oct 29, 2012 11:03 am

EARTHQUAKE!
Posted: Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

how obsessed with karaoke are the folks at mulan ? - it seems to be going on everyday

that earthquake was weak - all those 80s made for tv movies have misled me.
Posted: Dec 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Anyone try THE CAVE Soul Food (I think that's the name) on Jackson next to King's Grocery?

Also, perhaps covered elsewhere- Midtown Music on Central?

And what about that Overton Square?
Posted: Dec 19, 2013 10:46 am

Cave's is great.
Posted: Dec 19, 2013 11:20 am

I always heard Cave's was great from Clay Bridgewater, he seems to go there every time he's in town
Posted: Dec 25, 2013 2:45 pm

sadly MIDTOWN SKATESHOP is closing soon :( wish they could have lasted but some shitty corporate shop named Zumies opened in the mall and took a big chunk of business :(
Posted: Dec 25, 2013 7:18 pm

That sucks. Hate to see that the Skateshop is closing, especially for some mall crap.
Posted: Dec 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Nonstop openings of stuff in Overton Square and cooper though. Odd stuff too. Who knew that a specialty Olive Oil store would be needed in the city, especially when another one opened up on Laurelwood.

Looking forward to Roboto house opening. And the food at Second line is great
Posted: Dec 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Whats up with kids shopping at skateshops these days that they would prefer to shop at a corporate mall shop? untrustworthy if you ask me.
Posted: Dec 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Did I mention Popeyes?

Bummer about the skateshop.

Word is that the old Two Way Inn has a contract on it, hopefully will be something.
Posted: Dec 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Three Way Inn?
Posted: Jan 3, 2014 11:25 am

Whoa,, where's the popeyes moving into?
Posted: Jan 3, 2014 4:43 pm

Popeyes exists! It's in the old Mrs Winner's spot on Union. I heart-cloggedly recommend it!

Three Way Inn just sounds RIGHT!
Posted: Jan 4, 2014 1:46 pm

Ashlar Hall to become an Arts Center c/o Memphis Heritage & Memphis Comics & Fantasy Convention?

http://memphiscfc.com/ashlar-hall-center-for-the-arts/

The Memphis Comic and Fantasy Convention and Memphis Heritage have embarked on an incredible project: to restore the historic property of Ashlar Hall at 1397 Central Ave. to its original state, and transform it into the "Ashlar Hall Center for the Arts".

This beautiful 11,200 square foot space, will serve as an art hub for the city of Memphis, featuring art exhibits, festivals, and concerts, and also hosting a wide variety of art classes, and workshops for children and adults.

This historic property will also be available for Event Rentals. The charming Victorian architecture and grounds will be the perfect setting for Wedding Receptions, Christmas Parties, Corporate Functions, and any number of other social events.

The AHCA will even offer Multi Level Yoga Instruction, and other Wellness Classes.

The unique blending of tradition, style, function, and fun will make the Ashlar Hall Center for the Arts unlike any other cultural center in the Mid South.

+++++++++

Hope this isn't just a fantasy... would be great to have this going again, although the neighborhood might have some questions about parking, etc.
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 2:06 am

Midtown Skates -R.I.P.
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 3:09 pm

Of course there's something weird with the Mongo / Sci Fi / Arts center deal. We'll see.

MIdtown Skates gone is a bummer.
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:22 am

Posted: Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm

TOAD HALL IS CLOSING

I will always miss the fantastic grafiti that was done to the frog on the side of Toad hall antiques. Best art ever.
Posted: Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Ya know, Hemant, I bet they wouldn't even bother cleaning it up if you went over there and re-graffitied it since they're closing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®