Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Pierced Arrows, Don't, The Fuzz Sat 5/26 @ Hi-Tone
Posted: May 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Harlan makes his triumphant return to the Hi-Tone stage with The Fuzz.
Posted: May 22, 2012 9:35 pm

fuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Posted: May 22, 2012 9:36 pm

go to this
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:02 pm | Edited by: bruce

who is in don't? sam henry?
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:21 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Is it "Fuzz" or "The Fuzz?" I'm very confused.
Posted: May 23, 2012 12:41 am

Aquafuzz?
Posted: May 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Man. I sure wish I could be at this show in Memphis - even if I get to see them (PA/Don't) play here all the time.......

Don't is GREAT! It's Jenny "Don't" Connors (girlfriend of Kelly Halliburton in PA), along with a guy from Tacoma that taught her how to play guitar (I think..), who's name is Dan Lowinger. Dave Minick on Bass. And yes, the mighty Sam Henry (Wipers, rAT$, Napalm Beach, etc.) on Drums.......Always a blast to watch play.
They've toured a bunch with PA and I'm sure this time on the road's really helped them get even better.

Don't miss this show, Memphis!
Posted: May 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Man. I sure wish I could be at this show in Memphis
-me too and I live in Portland
Posted: May 23, 2012 8:43 pm

you as well, i see
Posted: May 25, 2012 12:24 pm

FYI, there will be a LATE show at the Lamplighter directly follwing this show:

Sex Tide (Athens OH)
Burning Sands (Memphis TN)

See you at both!
Posted: May 25, 2012 1:18 pm

you as well, i see

sí, sí
Posted: May 26, 2012 7:45 pm

yep, tonight
Posted: May 27, 2012 2:39 am

I'm confused. I just moved to town and don't really know what's going on. Was there something else going on tonight? It seemed like this show should have gotten far more than the ~25 people who were there...
Posted: May 27, 2012 7:49 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

No one goes to shows in this town. If cover is over a dollar, the city's "music fans" bitch and complain about being ripped off. So get used to it. On the plus side though...you will enjoy unobscured views of the stage and very short waits at the bar.
Posted: May 27, 2012 11:43 am

Well, thats a shame... but its not a story I haven't heard before. I just consider myself lucky that in a few weeks here Memphis has gotten more good shows than I saw in the last year in Baltimore. Oh, and short waits at the bar are always a bonus I guess.

Too bad people don't realize that bands touring don't/can't do this for free. I don't know any small to midsized venue that doesn't use 100% of the cover then some to pay the people playing. If people think venues are getting rich doing this, they are really mistaken...
Posted: May 27, 2012 1:17 pm

No one goes to shows in this town. If cover is over a dollar, the city's "music fans" bitch and complain about being ripped off. So get used to it. On the plus side though...you will enjoy unobscured views of the stage and very short waits at the bar.

i dont think this is true...people have kids, people are out of town for memorial day weekend...we were at a wedding in halls, tn but made it just a bit before they started...thankfully. there was another show at murphys. theres always another show. everyone i talked to was shocked at the turnout. especially after so many people being at ty on a tuesday.

everyones always complaining about late shows, or poor turnouts. go to a show if you want to...dont go if you dont or cant. be grateful we can see the bands we can...be thankful for the friends we have in this community in eric and zac and johnny, etc. doing the best they can to bring great bands here and promote their shows.

memphis is great. i feel lucky to live here...even if going out every weekend makes us overdraft our bank account regularly.
Posted: May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

You know what I think is weird is the lack of UofM and Rhodes students at the shows. WTF? Lamest college kids around.
Posted: May 27, 2012 1:59 pm

True enough hethurr. Seriously, I didn't want it to come off like I was complaining about nobody going to shows in town. I know that is exceptionally annoying... plus I certainly haven't been here long enough to form any sort of opinion. Honestly, I was just a little confused because I thought it was sort of an amazing lineup.

Also, yes, I am feeling exceptionally lucky to live here now! I can't stress enough how much great stuff I've seen here so far in comparison to other places I've lived. Whether people go or not, I'll be there when I can.
-Erik
Posted: May 27, 2012 2:37 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

... If cover is over a dollar, the city's "music fans" bitch and complain about being ripped off....

...people have kids, people are out of town for memorial day weekend...at a wedding in halls

These are all true. Also, others may be working, or for a thousand other reasons, just can't make it for a particular gig but go to a ton of other shows that another audience may not go to. I wanted to go last night (and actually needed to, to give Pierced Arrows and Fuzz/The Fuzz/Aquafuzz their Gonerfest sets), but was busy at the house fixing stuff.

Like Vinyl Richie's example (and I've seen that first hand, dude's essentially equating a band's $5 show as being part of the Corporate Agenda; once they get in, they still run up a $20 bar tab, and get kicked out of the show for drunkenly defining their own image of what it means to be "punk"), there are far more annoying reasons people won't go see shows. Social Group X will not go see Social Group Y shows, and vice versa. Some young people won't go see old people shows, some old people won't go see young people shows. Bands are less likely to book diversely among social group, age or genre. Venues even certainly come into question because the house will not book the band or the band refuses to play a particular venue for whatever reason. Completely stupid, but it happens all the time.

the lack of UofM and Rhodes students at the shows. WTF? Lamest college kids around.
MCA "seems" to get the best representation, but they seem to have more bands with skin in the game. Again, I wish the kids at UofM would revolt against "The Jazz Lover", and start a real college station. I really, really believe this would help attendance and attract more out-of-town bands.
Posted: May 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Additionally, I suspect the above reasons are true in many towns. I just believe (probably stupidly) that Memphis' game should always be stepped up a bit.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I've never been able to figure out what brings a Memphis crowd out and what keeps them at home. Shows that I've thought would be packed (last night for instance) have brought in a fairly small number of people and shows I didn't expect much out of have been phenomenally crowded. While I can speculate on this or that being the cause I think the science behind it would require some higher level statistical mathematics that I will never care to learn.
One great thing about Memphis shows is that if you get out, you'll see the same great unpretentious people at all or most of them, a core group of Memphis show goers. There is definitely a comfort in this, like going down to your neighborhood bar and seeing the same faces when you walk through the door.
Still, there is something bitter-sweet about a poorly attended show. There's always the thought, "Man, no one's here ... If I was this band I sure wouldn't go out of my way to come back through this 'burg."
I am feeling exceptionally lucky to live here now!
... versus two months from now when it's so hot you work up a sweat breathing. Good luck come August.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

MCA "seems" to get the best representation, but they seem to have more bands with skin in the game... Memphis' game should always be stepped up a bit.

Agreed, more nudity at shows.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:06 pm

It might happen in other towns, however other towns don't have a club like the Hi-Tone that will do shit like have $5 all you can drink keg beer, free Jameson, all you can eat wings, etc.. and things like that and still have only 17 people turn up.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:11 pm

True enough hethurr.

less a reply on your post than others.

joe and i go to as many shows as i can but i sure hope no one out there is making false statements as to why we arent at the ones we dont make. maybe im on call, maybe we're broke, maybe i dont like the band, maybe we're on vacation, maybe im tired, maybe i have to work the next day, maybe im at the bucc at another show, maybe i have diarrhea...i dunno.

I sure do love seeing all my friends at the bar, getting drunk with them and singing along to a great band. that happened last night. it was awesome.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:14 pm

One great thing about Memphis shows is that if you get out, you'll see the same great unpretentious people at all or most of them, a core group of Memphis show goers.

this is the best thing.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:18 pm

I had all intentions of going, but was at a pool party until after 8:30, and came home and fell asleep. Lame, I know!
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:22 pm

@Vinyl Richie, And that's a great example of a venue "stepping it up". And the quality of bands that play, and the attempts of diversifying bills, and the myth of the early show. There are certainly those who go above and beyond to attract more show-goers.
While I list the "stupid" reasons above for people not making shows (I meant to include poor promotion), if these things are not true, then the "blame" is squarely landed on this "hidden demographic" of "people too stupid to understand what they are missing".
My question is, what else can be done?
I propose the hostile takeover of the Jazz Lover.
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:49 pm

I guess I'm just trying to say, I don't know what else can be done to get more Memphians to shows, other than what we're currently doing while cutting down on some of the "stupid" reasons.

We tried an experiment a few months back where we had an early weeknight show, diverse (including some better-known out of town) bands, plenty of work on the promo side (including facebook, here, news paper ads; the only thing we lacked was getting articles to the papers in a timely manner), etc. We even streamed the show live so no one had to even drive or get off the couch, didn't have to pay $5, and could drink their own beer or go to bed early to get to work the next day. Attendance was around 30. Viewers of the stream, about 15 (and only two were from Memphis, and I suspect that was us monitoring the stream).

I don't know how we can make this any easier. Everyone I talk to enjoys living in a music city, but won't venture out unless it's the Foo Fighters. I am constantly reminded as an allegory of the major corporate radio DJ's answer, when pressed to play a certain local musician: "Isn't that WEVL's job?"

But flipping the coin, let's be honest. On this board, just about everyone here goes to tons of shows or sets up shows or supports this music we're talking about. And complaining about them seems a little like a circular firing squad. I want to know how to reach this "hidden demographic".
Posted: May 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I didn't go because I was working. It totally ruled so hard, working memorial day weekend without pay -fuck yeah!
Posted: May 27, 2012 4:06 pm

That's kind of what annoys me.
People on this board "explaining" why they didn't go to a particular show (I did it myself, up there). Everybody here goes to more than their share of other shows.
Posted: May 27, 2012 4:20 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

It almost reminds me of the "Deader-than-Thou" aspect of the Grateful Dead culture (and I realize this will be an issue to some here, in-and-of-itself).

A: "So you've seen them here at Deer Creek before?"
B: "Yeah, third time these last three tours."
A: "Oh, so you didn't see them in '86. Tsk, tsk."

P.S., the "Foam Party" at Renaissance friday night was PACKED with potential "hidden demographic", so maybe there's an answer. If someone could just explain to me what a Foam Party is....

for the record, I posted this at 4:20
Posted: May 27, 2012 5:20 pm

i think jack needs to hep up his game and quit knocking jazz
Posted: May 27, 2012 5:21 pm

I wasn't "explaining" why I wasn't there, I was bragging about what a bitchin time I had at work.
Posted: May 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Wow, I had no idea what I was going to get started the first time posting to this message board... Regardless, I think its a positive that there are good shows to complain about the attendance at. The last two places I lived the dialog was far more focused on "why aren't there any good shows?"

That said, I look forward to seeing you all at them in the future. I will, of course, have no idea who any of you are, but I'll be the guy you don't know by himself...
Posted: May 27, 2012 7:03 pm

any time I possibly can...there is nothing that makes me happier than driving up to Memphis for a show....I've never not had an awesome time. I really wanted, and thought about, going to that one....but I'd gone to Quintron and Ty and couldn't justify it in my head...I always kind of liked the smaller shows at the pop and the buc or the lamplighter a little bit better to be honest though.
Posted: May 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I wanted to clearify that I meant nothing bad about the Hi Tone...those guys are awesome....it's just kind of cool as a out of towner to go to a small gig and pretty much know everyone there.
Posted: May 27, 2012 8:20 pm

The show was awesome! And i loved waking up with a handlebar moustache drawn on my face. Good times!
Posted: May 27, 2012 9:40 pm

but I'll be the guy you don't know by himself...

Do you look like Cillian Murphy?
Posted: May 28, 2012 12:38 am

Do you look like Cillian Murphy?

umm? maybe not completely dissimilar...

$5 all you can drink keg beer, free Jameson

I need to learn more about this.

to give Pierced Arrows and Fuzz/The Fuzz/Aquafuzz their Gonerfest sets

am I to take this to mean they'll be back in September... this is a good thing.
Posted: May 28, 2012 12:40 am

am I to take this to mean they'll be back in September

Not sure, maybe? But these were the cds from last year.
Posted: May 28, 2012 12:41 am

Posted: May 28, 2012 1:47 am

umm? maybe not completely dissimilar...

Ha, you were at the Gary Wrong show!
Posted: May 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Leave town to go see Electric Wizard and..... (sarcasm font)
Let's just go step by step here...
The "hidden masses" are actually out there. We've seen them and we actually have started to attract many more of them. Case in point there were ~200 people at Ty, next night ~400 for The Lumineers, next night ~175 for Unknown Hinson. There were 3 people who overlapped attendance wise. BUT, those people are very, very hard to reach- Memphis has no music infrastructure. Luckily, there's a group of folks like all of you and the metal dudes who attend shows en masse and get the word out to all your friends. One way to liven up the attendance is bring one friend to a show that they have no idea who they are seeing. I paid for two friends to see Quintron last year and they still haven't stopped talking about it.

One thing you learn very quickly when doing this is almost everyday has a pitfall. Ty on a tuesday? Pitfall (worst night of the week for shows). Pierced Arrows over Memorial Day? Pitfalls (people out of town). Shows going against Memphis In May, the months of March (SXSW + Spring Break) and April (PATIO month!), Grizz playoffs, etc... Unfortunately Memphis isn't rich enough nor has enough entertainment dollars to support everything, especially if you have kids and there is a babysitter and cab fare involved. And no, this is not an attack on Memphis/ anyone's wallet- it's simple economics.

We do have to do things to get people in the door like $5 beer busts and such- we do it mostly to get people who would not normally come to a show to do just that and MAYBE they like the band and they'll come back and see them or buy a CD or tell a friend or get diarrhea.

Memphis is a city where the venue has to do a hefty load of the promotion and that's a big problem- when people send me the need for local press links I chuckle a bit. they just don't know what they are dealing with in this town (no zines, one alt-weekly, one friday section of the paper, little internet coverage of any substance, etc, etc). No radio in town is going to support ty, mikal, pierced arrows, etc. They just don't. WEVL isn't allowed to mention it and that's fine- it's their radio station and they are not allowed to and if we bitch about it, it won't change a thing. It's the exact reason we started betterthanjail.com and it's getting a shitload of hits/ page views. Honestly, someone else should be doing this for profit but no one has figured out a way how. The college radio scene in this town is a absolute joke. The college papers are also a fucking joke. I'm not bagging or telling anything that someone hasn't posted a million times.

And yes Erik, you're right- I had to send back my gold plated toilet and toothbrushes after taking this place over (sarcasm font). But, Hethurr and few others are completely right- it's not about money (so to speak), there is ALOT more to it than that. Do I wish that everyone would come to every show? Hell fucking yes. It'd make the town look MUCH better in the eyes of the folks who send shows this way and the bands. I think this is a major point that people tend to forget, that Memphis is not viewed as a great music town in the music business. It's actually seen as the complete opposite. I've had numerous agents laugh me off the phone when I asked about a certain band coming to our fair and hot city. It's a C market at best in terms of ticket sale and CD sales but that has nothing to do with bands because they see it as a pinnacle on their tour and are almost 100% absolutely thrilled to be here. It's also not true about the "Goner" bands that come through- we usually do comparable numbers to the larger sized cities because you guys go out of your way to see shows even on weeknights. I can't tell you how flattered I am when I see some of you at the bar, drinking away and watching great shows on a weeknight when I know damn well you have to be up in 6 hours to work a 10 hour shift. It's not like that in other towns who have huge flocks of the disenfranchised rich (I think Vice calls them hipsters.....) When you have people like Ty, YOB, Black Tusk, High on Fire all telling you that they love the club and it's one absolute favorites to tour to, that's not just on the venue, that reflects the kind of people who come to the shows. It really is a testament to everyone who comes out.

Now to touch on the colleges- yes, lame as fuck but I think it's more a lack of knowledge than anything else. Where are they going to hear this music? Unfortunately in our current musical society shit needs to be force fed to the masses in a way that's incapable outside of the the song played 4 times an hour radio format (I can write a million words about a band and it won't matter until you hear them). Which is why we sit in this carousel. If anyone has any grand ideas on how to get to the campus kids (we flyer there, but what does that mean), please feel free to chime in.

As far as genre bending, we're getting there. Some of the people who post here, I've started seeing at different shows. As far as booking them, it's tricky. Torche & XRay Eyeballs went GREAT together- everyone had a blast, especially the XRay fans. Sometimes it goes over like a turd in the punchbowl. Tis life in between the yellow lines.

Lastly, Jazz fucking sucks and you folks rule! See yas this weekend at the TJSA show (and maybe the next night too! Shameless Adios Gringos, Crowlord, Joint Chiefs, These Wolves Are Robots plug)
Posted: May 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Great Pieced Arrow show at the Hi-Tone this weekend. Still on a high about that (and yesterday I discovered that I bought a shirt at the show.. a nice surprise!)

I do like that the Hi-Tone put out an accurate show time start on Tuesday for the Ty Segall show. That makes a world of difference, and I am sure had a lot to do with people deciding to go out. Unfortunately I didn't see the updated time schedule until Wednesday. Still kicking myself about that! But I hope to see more start time listings on weekday shows in the future.

It is weird to me that the price of shows hasn't seriously increased over time. Most are still $5. That's the same price they were 20 years ago. During that same time, gas went up from $1 per gallon to $3.50 per gallon. Frankly, I don't understand how bands afford to tour anymore.
Posted: May 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Memphis is a city where the venue has to do a hefty load of the promotion and that's a big problem
Shouldn't this go for every city. If the venue is the one profiting, then they should be doing the majority of the promotion. The extra help should come from city/tax funded organizations/news papers to help further the music scene. Especially when the city only has 3 venues that will make a touring act a guarantee. Complaining about volunteer, non-profit, listener supported radio stations is pointless. WEVL is the only station in town that would ever play your band or anything Goner puts out. Expecting volunteers to play whats going on at a venue every week is crazy. People get paid for that or get class credit etc. If they did promote the hell out of a venue's weekly booking, how does that help further the radio station? In a music scene as weak as ours, shouldn't we be grateful for the only allies we have? I can think of 2 tax funded/rich people donation organizations in town that claim their job is to further, promote, and support "Memphis" music. In my opinion they do a very,very poor job at this. To top it off these people get paid A LOT of money for doing nothing and the people on the front lines busting their ass and risking their own money to help further Memphis music work for peanuts. <--- This is fucked up. Until the music scene is booming here, I think pay checks at these organizations should be cut in half and used for things the music scene needs. These half pay checks would still be amazing salaries for the work that they do.

No radio in town is going to support ty, mikal, pierced arrows, etc.
By support do you mean play hourly? Cause I've heard these bands on WEVL before. Maybe not once an hour for 2 weeks before they get to town but they have been played.
I still find it hard to believe that people think they will gain so much from radio play in 2012. Let's face it, people get older, have kids, get married, have careers etc. It gets harder and harder for them to attend shows right? So, it's time to look to younger people to support the music scene. Do you think younger folks are listening to WEVL all day? Maybe, but I know they are on the internet all day. People check their Facebook page 30-50 times a day at and off work. They might only listen to WEVL on their way to and from work.(but most likely a shitty rap station they find ironicly funny) I think the problem is the younger, internet raised generations have short attention spans. They look to the INTERNET to hand them the cool bands to listen to. If Pitchfork is hyping the band, they will come. Even in Memphis.(On a funny side note, I couldn't remember "Pitchforks" name so I googled "hipster music website" and Pitchfork was the first thing that came up.) Betterthanjail might be the best Hitone promotion route ever taken. Younger folks complain about door prices more than anyone also. At the Gary Wrong/Manatees show I heard some kid say... "Five dollars?!?! Jesus! It's only 2 bands!!!" I think we need to get Garber swinging a sign outside of Urban Outfitters saying "Come on down to the Hi-tone for taco night! Free mustache wax!!!"

It is weird to me that the price of shows hasn't seriously increased over time.
The prices have gone up in other cities for a long time but not here. Why? Because are smart local bookers here know Memphis cheap skates won't go out to $15-20 shows. They have to explain to agents that door costs seriously effect attendance here. Normal show deals get bent more than most of us know.

I don't understand how bands afford to tour anymore.
I don't understand how bands can afford to tour Memphis anymore.

Overall, I think Memphis will get it together again and the music scene will be profitable for everyone. I think in order for it to happen, people are gonna have to work together more than they do and stop all the hate towards others that are in the same boat. There are a lot of things that make our music jobs/playing in bands difficult. There are people here that get paid to help fix these problems. They do not do a good job at this. Until the bands and venues can do better, these people should make as much as the bands and venues. $quat
Posted: May 29, 2012 6:32 pm

i still think jack should hep up his game!!!
Posted: May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Hey, delayewm. Watch this:

http://www.rocketscienceaudio.com/stream

thanks!
Posted: May 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Sorry, that was in hopes that you'd be watching at that moment. We're testing after 10, so there's nothing up now. Probably confusing, sorry.
Posted: May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Poor promotion has killed any show small or big that I've ever done. This music scene has had the same handful of people doing shit since I defected from the non existent hardcore scene, with the exception being the Dairy House and their ability to get young folks out. I guess thats kinda sad since it is so easy to be involved here, but it is what it is. More people would have been there if there wasnt a handful of excellent shows that took place earlier in the week. Thats no ones fault (except me and Johnnies.. maybe?)

Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Sorry, that was in hopes that you'd be watching at that moment. We're testing after 10, so there's nothing up now. Probably confusing, sorry.

Ha! I actually did click the link when you posted it... But due to laziness just got around to responding tonight. I might have watched longer if I'd known it would disappear.
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:22 pm

I might have watched longer if I'd known it would disappear.

hmm, sounds like part of the problem
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:22 pm

No big deal. We're just testing for the stream for Friday. Which, I guess from what this thread, EVERYBODY WILL BE THERE.
AMIRIGHTPEOPLE?!?!?
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:24 pm

The last couple shows I've been to/played: Gary Wrong/Manatees, Timmy's Organism/us/NOTS, OBN IIIs/Moving Finger/us, have been really well attended -for week nights at the Poplar Lounge. Crowds would have been good at Murphy's or the Bucc, too small for the Hi-Tone tho.

It kills me that nobody goes to show. When I lived in Chicago, I had to take a bus, then a train, transfer trains, get off and then walk a half mile or wait for a bus or something to get to the Fireside or the Empty Bottle. It took about an hour. If you live in Midtown, you can run home and get high between bands. Bunch of pussies in this town.

Memphis should have a shit load of shows -looks at FedEx, we're the crossroads of America. It's like every band knows the turn out is going to be weak so we're an afterthought. Never played Hot Springs, but Abe and Eric said they showed up in droves for Quintron AND a chick took off her shirt. Memphis definitely needs to jazz up it's game.
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:48 pm

and take shirts off!!
Posted: May 29, 2012 10:54 pm

EVERYBODY WILL BE THERE.
AMIRIGHTPEOPLE?!?!?

What show is this? I've seen no promotion of it.
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:04 pm

.They've been plugging the shit out of it between the Windham Hill and Kitarro blocks on the Jazz Lover.
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:18 pm

that's what i'm talking about
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:19 pm

jass
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Delayewm, if you're out there, getting ready to test some content in 5 minutes. Same link as above.
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Don't -it's a trick! It's Jack's homemade porn! It's shit-eaters porn!
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:51 pm

I call it the "Evolution of Furry Sam".
Posted: May 29, 2012 11:59 pm

They should make a Human Centipede out of plushies sewn together. Instead of the person behind in the suit having to eat the shit, they'd just have a big pile shoved right in their face and they'd just have to hot box it. That would be totally gnarly.
Posted: May 30, 2012 11:14 am

As far as promotion goes, Buck, yes, you are right- more of what I'm talking about is the lack of mainstream press and non-mainstream (which there really isn't in this city) getting on board with writing/ posting about shows. It seems that, beyond the Goner board, there isn't any outlets besides word of mouth to get folks to listen to music they haven't heard. That was my point, sorry if it was convoluted.

As far as WEVL goes, they are the only place to hear new music in town, which is sad. But I understand their limitations and while I wish it were different, there's nothing anyone can do to change the fact that they can't say venues names after the song. It would be nice to hear "That's JPK, he has a show on Friday at the Bucc". I know, I'm wishing here....

And yes Crenshaw, that's one root of the problem. When I saw we had Quintron, Ty & Pierced Arrows all within 7 days plus the other shows going on around town, I knew one of them would fail. Pierced Arrows was the logical candidate. Obviously, touring schedules can't be rerouted just because we have "too many garage/ punk shows in Memphis in one week". That's just not how touring works. On the flip side, that makes it hard to continue to bring quality acts in on a nightly basis because you have to make good monetary deals to bands to get them to come here and sometimes you are going to lose your shirt on something good because musicians need to be paid or they won't come back. It's a catch-22. There wasn't much more we could've done to get folks out on Saturday I don't think.

I don't think Memphis needs to step up it's game or take shirts off to be seen as a great music stop for bands. We are already it's just we have a city of ~600,000 people and a whole hell of a lot of those folks listen to rap/ country/ top 40 and wouldn't know what a Pierced Arrow was unless it hit them in the chest. What I do think is that the concerts are supported by a core group of folks and then hopefully some of the folks who attend irregularly will show up. And, as far as smaller towns go- honestly, that was probably the only thing of consequence going on in Fayetteville that night which is rarely the case in Memphis. Not that I don't think Quintron should sell out every show that he does here because he is one of the great musician/ performers I've been lucky to witness on a stage. On that front, I'm always at a loss.

Cole- we are talking about the TJSA/ Sharp Balloons show Friday night. Scroll down about 8 threads and you'll find it.

Everything Louder Than Everything Else!
Posted: May 30, 2012 11:15 am

There are people here that get paid to help fix these problems. They do not do a good job at this. Until the bands and venues can do better, these people should make as much as the bands and venues. $quat

HUZZAH!!!!
Posted: May 30, 2012 11:47 am

It would be nice to hear "That's JPK, he has a show on Friday at the Bucc". I know, I'm wishing here....

I have done this several times and plan to again when the timing is right. Have done this for many others also.
Posted: May 30, 2012 11:52 am

the lack of mainstream press and non-mainstream (which there really isn't in this city) getting on board with writing/ posting about shows.

Ding ding ding.

And the hell with shows, I am still amazed that there was ZERO coverage of an event like JEFF EVANS DAY in the weekly. That was a highly significant event and if you were reliant on that periodical for your local music info you would never have known it happened.
Posted: May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I have done this several times and plan to again when the timing is right. Have done this for many others also.
I've heard, just also heard it's frowned upon to mention the show.

And the hell with shows, I am still amazed that there was ZERO coverage of an event like JEFF EVANS DAY in the weekly. That was a highly significant event and if you were reliant on that periodical for your local music info you would never have known it happened.

Which is exactly why it is incumbent upon us, fans/ promoters/ etc, to get the word out in it's totality- which means operating without a net so to speak. Which brings us back to the question of how we are able to reach the masses about an event like that. The answer as stated in Tom Hanks Volunteers (his best work, btw) is "time and money" which not many of us have either in surplus.
Posted: May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

It's weird that WEVL frowns on mentioning shows, but internet streaming radio is the future anyways. You don't have to remember when your favorite show is on, and you can listen at work. Everytime I turn on WEVL, I seem to catch music for leprechauns.

But bitchinkitchen is right: it is incumbent upon us fans to get the word out. We used to all pass out handbills for shows, but now we have got to use the internet equivalent. In this day and age, I think it means accepting event invites on facebook for shows that we would like to go to (even if we can't) , and resharing or at the minimum, liking links to show information. That tells others who don't read this board or whatever that something interesting is happening. And they are more likely to go if others that they know are going to go.

I have not been doing this myself, but I will start immediately. If you're friends of mine on facebook, you'll see a reshare or a "like" of the TJSA show (Friday!) and maybe a retweet on twitter if I figure that out.
Posted: May 30, 2012 3:49 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

WEVL cannot mention details about shows because of its non profit stature...there are a lot of weird rules applied to non profit stations that aren't affiliated with a college or subsidized by the govt. it isn't that they "frown" upon or don't do it to be difficult...iaid rules that have to be adhered to, or WEVL's license could be put in jeopardy.

Internet "radio" or archiving costs a lot of money...to put it in perspective WFMU pledge drives raise around 1.5 million bucks, WEVL's raise less than 100,000. There is no way to archive with that small of an income, plus WFMU has a large paid staff to do all of that stuff, WEVL doesn't. Sorry it isn't "futuristic" enough for your busy lifestyle.
Posted: May 30, 2012 4:03 pm

The not-for-profit radio rules allow you to mention the show, but not the price. (Of course, everybody knows it's going to cost 5 bucks).
Posted: May 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry it isn't "futuristic" enough for your busy lifestyle.

No apologies needed! The future is awesome.

I enjoy WEVL shows when I can, but I also enjoy streaming shows from WFMU too. Hopefully technology costs will drop over time so that WEVL streaming is a viable option.
Posted: May 30, 2012 5:30 pm

TJSA feature in the flyer, it should be online in "the future"
Posted: May 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Damn, the future is gonna be great. When is it?

And it's $5, right? Or I'm not going.
Posted: May 30, 2012 7:20 pm

My next band will be called Future Community-Sponsored Jazz Lifestyle.
Posted: May 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Apartment.
Posted: May 30, 2012 8:01 pm

I have not been doing this myself, but I will start immediately. If you're friends of mine on facebook, you'll see a reshare or a "like" of the TJSA show (Friday!)

I did this, but then realized that I was yet to have accumulated hardly any "facebook friends" in Memphis - I suppose it came off more as bragging than informative to the people I know ... oh well.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®