Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / SXSW related shows ...
Posted: Feb 21, 2012 9:46 pm

What bands are coming through on their way to and from SXSW this year? Some shows are pretty easy to find info on (looking at you Hi-Tone) but others aren't as well documented. Feel free to chime in Oxford, MS ...
Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:00 am

http://hitonememphis.com

Its like Google, but for the Hi Tone shows.
Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:29 am

+1 community spirit
-1 reading comprehension
Posted: Feb 22, 2012 11:00 am

+1 community spirit
-1 reading comprehension

But +1 for having an accurate user name, right?

I don't know if they're on any official SXSW bill, but Ornery Little Darlings and Flying Cars from Chicago are playing the Bucc March 8th on their way to Austin. .
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 8:37 am

i kan reed, i r posts so we no can get people saying "WHAT BANDS ARE PLAYIN'""

All good. I got 3 +1s and 1 -1 so I am at a +2. Math, I r gud at?A@!
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi-Tone related shows-
3/6- Truckfighters, Hosoi Bros
3/7- Heartless Bastards, The Fling
3/8-Black Tusk, Crowlord, Royal Thunder
3/9- Mikal Cronin, K-Holes, Bare Wires, Manatees, Tiger High
3/10- Devil Makes Three, Southeast Engine, Phillip Roebuck, The Kernal
3/11- Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, Valient Thor, Storm of Light
3/12- Suckers w/ Fort Lean
3/13- Trophy Wives
3/14- Love of Everything (Bobby Burg of Joan of Arc) w/ Tristen
3/16- Goatwhore, Process of Suffocation, Epoch of Unlight
3/18- (5pm)- Jennifer O'Connor, Tim Foljahn
3/18- (9pm)- Heavy Times, Blasted Canyons, Nones, TSOT
3/19- Terrible Twos, Modern Convenience
3/20- ANR (Awesome New Republic), PLAINS, Idiot Glee (Moshi Moshi)
3/21- Electric Eel Shock w/ Hot Cha Cha
3/22- Jukebox Romantics, Magnetix, XRay Eyeballs, Problem
As for us, that's it for SXSW stuff....
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I appreciate the links to and listing of the hi-tone shows (even though I tried to convey my knowledge of them in my initial post) but I was curious about shows at venues that don't have a well put together, regularly updated, and easy to find sites ... murphy's, the buccaneer, poplar lounge, venues in oxford, etc., etc. ... also, snide remarks due to your inability to read and understand all the words I write are always welcome
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I'll try to put something together for Murphys, but I can tell you 3/12 is Puffy Areolas, Obnox and Secret People (who, if you haven't checked them out yet, are a really great, punk girl band).
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm

I really liked Obnox at the Pop. That dude's guitar sound is pretty awesome.
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Secret People rock!
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

Here is a list of phone numbers for some of the clubs. Do you want me to call them for you so you don't have to look anything up? Hell, I might be able to swing the bands to stop by your house and play for you. Does that help?

murphy's - (901) 726-4193
the buccaneer - (901) 278-0909
poplar lounge - (901) 324-6550
Proud Larry's - (662) 236-0050
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

Got a number for the HiTone?
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am

I wouldn't call them. Last time I called them about a job they got real assy with me.
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

cool, been wanting to check out X Ray Eyeballs
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 12:10 pm | Edited by: Mr Entropy

Actually ... if you could call them for me, post their answers, come over, surf back to this page, then read what you posted out loud, that would work best for me personally.

I get you, asking questions IS soooo inherently lazy. That's why I hate children in school and every time I pass an educational institution I think to myself "Those worthless kids. If they want to know the capital of Kansas, they should walk there themselves. I can't believe someone has to tell them about the triangle postulate or Hume's theory of uncertainty ... they should have to figure it out themselves! Grrrr! Fist shaking!"

Here's the deal. I asked a question. If you know the answer and feel like sharing it, awesome. If you are a venue or a member of a band that has a stake in people coming out, you can list a show and maybe more people will come out because of it, awesome again. Or you can waste your time being a curmudgeonly jerk so you can win internet points and redeem them wherever you do that, which, I suppose is awesome as well. And if you don't have an answer, maybe you'll find out something new or at least enjoy the hijinks, again bringing us to some more awesome. So, in summation, a whole lot of awesomeness, everybody wins.
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

I wouldn't call them. Last time I called them about a job they got real assy with me.

Yes, cause we usually hire people over the phone and their goner board credentials are the first thing we look at. Seriously, you called a potential employer instead of coming in and handing in a resume or filling out an application? You can't even get a job at the Tiger Mart like that. Wow! I'm beginning to think the unemployment rate in this country does not have a direct correlation to the economy.....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®