Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Slider Inn? And other Cooper St Restaurant Goings-on...
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 11:09 am

Slider Inn - Impressive remodel of the old Just One More space... anyone try it yet?

Harry's Detour - Still open? Who knew?

Chinese Restaurant at Cooper & Young - Will an All-Black paintjob help create a new CY standard? Will an upscale Chinese menu resort to a buffet within months?

Stone Soup Cafe -Is Stone Soup tasty?

Alchemy - Why were Richwad & Seamus unimpressed? Sure is packed!

How legal is cordoning off public parking spaces for valet parking? Can you lease curbspace from the city, provided it's in front of your restaurant / hotel? Just wonderin'!
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 11:34 am

Slider Inn

food is awesome.
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

I remember an article in the Commercial Appeal a year ago about downtown restaurants that were coning off sections of curb so only their patrons could park there. The article said that it was an illegal practice and that parking on the street, assuming there were no no parking signs or hydrants, was always open to everyone . . .
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 5:54 pm

I will second that Slider Inn is good.
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Still say tsunami is the best on the block.
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm

you have to say that
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Didn't have any food, but Alchemy has the best Sazeracs in town...
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 1:56 am

I hope Alchemy's cocktails are good. They hired a "cocktail consultant" that charged them 10 Large to teach them how to make drinks.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 8:43 am

Went to Alchemy a couple of weeks ago for a friend's birthday. My lady ordered a cocktail with rye whiskey and apple. She took a sip and asked me to try it. It told her it tasted like Ted Danson coming out of the sea in Creepshow. The "mixologist" had added olive juice instead of lemon. There was a mojito delivered with no mint. These drinks were eleven dollars apiece.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 8:50 am

Staff were apologetic and accommodating, though. They were quite busy.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 10:12 am

Who's in the running for best Sazeracs? I've had one at The Cove... they seem to like their old-timey drinks.

Tsunami is damn good for sure. Soul Fish, too. Sweetgrass & Next Door hanging in there- everything rolling, Free Plax? Seems to be.

Will try the Slider Inn - looks like they're open on Mondays! It's a Memphis Miracle!
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Best mojito Ive ever had at Alchemy. Stone Soup was kinda not real good.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 3:06 pm

is the slider inn still 21 and up? seems silly for a hamburger joint to not let kids in. the blt slider i had there was pretty sub par. fries were tasty though.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Slider Inn- ehhh. Though didn't care for the ad they ran in the Flyer talking about their former employees. Kinda low brow.

Alchemy- hadn't had the food, the place is packed though. And no, I highly doubt that they will be able to continue the parking practice especially considering they are parking those cars in front of people's houses.

Tsunami= the tits!

Stone Soup- had the meatloaf and it was pretty good. Kind of hippish but lots of sides.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Will an upscale Chinese menu resort to a buffet within months?

good question.

went to alchemy late night severely drunk. had some p dope mac n cheese. the drinks were fine, maybe overpriced if iirc. lots of yuppies/ preening chicks. anywho, glad it's there and glad it's BUSY. hope it stays that way.

still haven't been to stone soup.

how about that I-talian place where melange/ dish/ whatever else used to be?

had a craving for a lobster roll and went to slider inn to check it out. expensive (unsurprisingly) but not too bad. went in there super late one night to meet some folks and ate a couple sliders. i was stumbling drunk but i think i remember them being pretty decent.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Forgot to add that next door's egg sandwich is beyond good
Posted: Jan 2, 2012 10:03 am

Tsunami - never disappoints. They need to put the Hot & Pungent Shrimp back on the menu though.

Slider Inn - Food is average at best, nothing exciting except the Lobster Roll which isn't too bad but not something I'd pay $18 for frequently. It's only 21 and up after 7 or 8pm.

Alchemy - full of douchebags and loud as hell. Though some of the food was tasty but not worth the price.

Stone Soup - Not too bad at all. Specials like the Roast Loin, Crawfish Bisque and their veggies are great. Can get real busy at times.

Cortona - Good food. Pastas, sauces and breads are housemade.

Sweet Grass - Meh.

Sweet Grass Next Door - Love it.

Cafe Ole - Burn it to the fucking ground

Celtic Crossing - Burn it to the fucking ground and piss on its ashes.
Posted: Jan 2, 2012 4:14 pm

Tsunami - never disappoints. They need to put the Hot & Pungent Shrimp back on the menu though.

Slider Inn - Food is average at best, nothing exciting except the Lobster Roll which isn't too bad but not something I'd pay $18 for frequently. It's only 21 and up after 7 or 8pm.

Alchemy - full of douchebags and loud as hell. Though some of the food was tasty but not worth the price.

Stone Soup - Not too bad at all. Specials like the Roast Loin, Crawfish Bisque and their veggies are great. Can get real busy at times.

Cortona - Good food. Pastas, sauces and breads are housemade.

Sweet Grass - Meh.

Sweet Grass Next Door - Love it.

Cafe Ole - Burn it to the fucking ground

Celtic Crossing - Burn it to the fucking ground and piss on its ashes.

All of this is 100% true
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 8:48 am

correction: Slider Inn is 21 and up all the time, even the patio. Fuck that place. Took a bike ride with my son and our friends and they wouldn't let us on the patio with him. Kind of shitty seeing as we do wing night at the Bucc with no problems at all.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 8:50 am

This was also at around 1:30 pm on a Saturday.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow. Suckage. Thanks for the info.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 4:03 pm

correction: Slider Inn is 21 and up all the time,
Really? I was wrong then. I could've sworn that they were only 21+ and up in the evening. You're not missing much though.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 7:26 pm

Unless they changed it since June or July, but it was a bummer because were all were starving it was the third place we tried to go to that wasn't packed.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 10:19 pm

according to the channel 5 news, someone was shot in the deli parking lot early this morning. the victim was coming from celtic crossing at 3 am...

in other news news, mike matthews found a new home!
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 10:43 pm

someone was shot in the deli parking lot early this morning. the victim was coming from celtic crossing at 3 am...

Probably a vigilante just trying to thwart a date rape.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 10:44 pm

If that was any of y'alls brothers: "I'm SORRY, I didn't know."
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 10:48 pm

Sambeaux, if this was FB, i'd "like" your last two comments! happy 2012!
Posted: Jan 4, 2012 2:34 am

It's okay, I "like" you too. Happy 2012 -the world's not gonna end, fuck you Dtrain!
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 8:37 pm

Got a menu from a Jamaican place opening Monday in 600 block of Madison in Med district...
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 9:54 pm

crazy noodle (kwik check sister restaurant) opened today! the service didn't seem prepared for huge crowds, but the mrs and i slipped in at a mellow moment. I don't think I got what I ordered, but it kicked ass anyway.
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 10:12 am

The guy was shot in the leg because he was "asked" for his wallet & wouldn't give it up. So I've heard
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 10:53 am

Good news on Crazy Noodle- menu looks great. Will check it out once wrinkles are worked out!
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 11:14 am

The guy was shot in the leg because he was "asked" for his wallet & wouldn't give it up. So I've heard

Also b/c he bowed up a bit to his would-be attackers, I have heard. Apparently this did manage to scare two out of three of the dudes. Unfortunately, the third one was the one w/the gun.
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 3:23 pm

the guy who was shot was my friend dustin - owner of studio 42 - it was him and alex pilkington -
dustin didnt even realize he was shot at first -!
he is fine and still has his wallet - although it was stupid to do - he could have been injured worse or be dead -

crazy noodle is chris davidsons brother donnies new place - i can't wait to try it out!
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 11:57 am

went to the soft opening of crazy noodle. service was kind of slow but forgivable. first night can be rough. food was good. i got the sweet potato clear noodle dish something or other. totally rules.
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 12:11 pm | Edited by: sixelsix

We were at Crazy Noodle yesterday. Another thumbs-up.
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 5:20 pm

crazy noodle is chris davidsons brother donnies new plac

Donnie's girlfriends family's restaurant, owners of Kwik Chek (ex-Petra).
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 5:36 pm

Soul Fish still kicks ass. Prices rose a bunch since they've opened, but I've never had a bad meal there. Not crowded today, either. Nice!
Posted: Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Soul Fish still kicks ass. Prices rose a bunch since they've opened, but I've never had a bad meal there. Not crowded today, either. Nice!

I was surprised at the prices too, butI think the catfish prices are up only due to a shortage of catfish.
Posted: Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm

would that be- the Memphis Flyer's chris davidsons brother donnies girlfriends family's restaurant?
Just trying to clarify.
Posted: Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Memphis Flyer dude is Chris Davis.
Posted: Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am

correction: Slider Inn is 21 and up all the time, even the patio. Fuck that place. Took a bike ride with my son and our friends and they wouldn't let us on the patio with him. Kind of shitty seeing as we do wing night at the Bucc with no problems at all.

Had the same experience. Went there for lunch with my folks and they wouldn't let us sit on the patio with my less than a year old daughter.

Fuck that place, I still prefer to get my "sliders" from Krystal anyway.

"Hey let's open a restaurant based on a food trend!"
whatever
Posted: Jan 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Can't wait to try Crazy Noodle! The menu looks amazing.

But I hope they make the place look more inviting. From the outside, it still looks like an abandoned, neglected Umai. Then again, I'm no expert. Maybe the failed-restaurant look is in.
Posted: Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Crazy Noodle is really really awesome. Loved the curry and the chicken soup. plus she does korean noodles the right way- boiled then run under cold water quickly. so good.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®