Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / West Memphis 3 - Free?
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm

I searched for the old thread about this, but couldn't find it.
I've heard speculation, from someone who's in a position to speculate, that the convictions will be vacated due to juror misconduct. Charges will stand, WM3 will plead "no contest", and they will be sentenced to time served, and be freed.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2011/08/18/breaking-west -memphis-three-hearing-tomorrow
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 3:59 pm

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-west-memphis-3-freed,0,5347577.story

Says 2 of the 3 will be freed. Damien and Jessie have been transferred to Jonesboro.
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Smells fishy to me . . . they're getting out by admitting guilt?
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Speculation...

I hope it doesn't come down to that. But, knowing about the case means knowing how vindictive the state of AR has been about it. "No contest" might look like a save face for the prosecuters.
There's tons of court related stuff online. It's a huge ball of twine.
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah, what Mr Entropy said. Lawsuit protection?
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Lawsuit protect and never having to admit they were wrong. I couldn't blame anybody for taking a plea after 18 years of being falsely imprisoned and all the horrible things that comes with that (having to talk to eddie vedder for one . . . ) but this would be the worst possible way to get them out, at the expense of the truth and at the expense of justice for those 3 children. If this happens my YAY! will be a yay.
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Plus-- it's case closed for the district attorney & cops, right? They won't have to spend any more money or man hours on this case trying to figure out who really did commit the crime... I think?

That's bullshit, but if the WM3 are freed tomorrow, fuckin' a. Huge.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 6:50 am

Right...
The case will be closed, and won't be reopened. Which is really, really sad for those boys.
I think the biggest thing is they can't sue the state for false imprisonment, or profit on book or movie deals, etc. It is bullshit, but I totally agree with y'all. If they are freed today it is huge.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Free.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Such bullshit.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Was that Tone Loc with Eddie Vedder and the Dixie Chicks on Channel 3?

It was probably just some CIA pedos that did it anyway
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Glad I did not watch the press conference. Just reading about it on twitter made me angry.

Dudes are now penniless, convicted felons, robbed of their youth, and unable to seek any kind of compensation for any of it...and still serving suspended sentences. Hey but at least they can go to Wal-Mart now.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm

New state Motto -"Arkansas-the least we can do state! (and we mean THE LEAST)"
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 2:16 pm | Edited by: hemant

Glad I did not watch the press conference. Just reading about it on twitter made me angry.

Dudes are now penniless, convicted felons, robbed of their youth, and unable to seek any kind of compensation for any of it...and still serving suspended sentences. Hey but at least they can go to Wal-Mart now.

I disagree.. they just pulled an OJ. Its amazing how many get-out-of-jail cards celebrity money can buy. All because of one severely biased documentary.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

All because of one severely biased documentary.

Do you have inside info Hemant? (email me off the board if that's more appropriate) I questioned the arrests/case before the documentary was ever made, and once I saw it, my feelings were solidified. I know some people in Memphis related to Miskelley who were up in arms at the time it all went down because of his mental capacity and the way the police interrogation was handled. It's always seemed too easy and sensationalized w/ the whole "satanic" bent.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 3:06 pm

The only person I know who had any "inside info" thought they were guilty. Whether or not they should have been convicted is another question.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 3:43 pm

I played poker with the dude who "supposedly" did it. Never has my skin crawled more.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

No inside info, but 12 jurors heard the complete testimony and viewed all the evidence, something that almost no else has done. And not a single one thought that they were innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. That a very high standard to meet. Twelve of the most informed people...

But Eddie Veder and a fat Dixie Chick are moved by a "documentary" and all of a sudden its a cause celebre. I don't think Arkansas had a choice but to let them out simply due to celebrity news pressure.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't think Arkansas had a choice but to let them out simply due to celebrity news pressure.
ehhh, I don't know. I agree that it happens a lot but if you're Arkansas do you really give a fuck about that? It's not like there is a bunch of movies that all of the sudden aren't going to be made and I'm sure the Dixie Chicks have played there enough to make no higher than a State Fair level performance.

Seems like the Supreme Court ruling in November had a lot more to do with this and this is the state's way of saving face. If the SC allows evidence to be re-examined/ opened up, and if by whatever percent chance that you think they are guilty (which can be neither 0% nor 100%), the state still loses. The only way they win is by getting a guilty conviction and I doubt that corroborating witnesses and initial evidence (already a black mark for the prosecution) are still either untainted or untainted. Add in media/ celebrity pressure. Seems like a very convenient way for the whole thing to be put to rest with the absolute least fanfare possible. This will be out of the news cycle in 72 hours as opposed to a bunch of hearings that would keep it going for some time.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm | Edited by: eric o

What happens if someone else confesses and that story holds up?

(and being skin-crawlingly creepy has to be an advantage in poker!)
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 4:51 pm

No inside info, but 12 jurors heard the complete testimony and viewed all the evidence, something that almost no else has done. And not a single one thought that they were innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. That a very high standard to meet. Twelve of the most informed people...

I think it's pretty telling that one of the victims' father thinks they're innocent. 12 people can be wrong, especially 12 god fearing morons. People are lemmings.

but these guys did get lucky with the celebrity attention.. makes you think about all the wrongfully convicted people rotting away in jail whom nobody gives two shits about.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 5:30 pm

People are lemmings.

Absolutely. Most will believe anything that Johnny Depp tells them, especially when the three accused look like such nice church-going boys in their suits.

There are no winners in a criminal court case.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm still trying to figure out which one is not the fat dixie chick.
Posted: Aug 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Ok..so dudes are free. Are any celebs gonna step up and fund further investigation into trying to figure out who did brutally murder those kids. Doubtful. Those kids arent here anymore...at all.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 2:03 am

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 10:20 am

Absolutely.especially when the three accused look like such nice church-going boys in their suits.

really? So, their day to day look of teenage metal fans, which what they were, somehow makes them more "murderous looking", therefore more guilty? I dont know what you are trying to say with this.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 10:42 am | Edited by: hemant

really? So, their day to day look of teenage metal fans, which what they were, somehow makes them more "murderous looking", therefore more guilty? I dont know what you are trying to say with this.

I said nothing about guilt... I was talking about celebrity infatuation. Take a look at the Innocence Project website and you see hundreds of people who can be be exonerated with CONCLUSIVE DNA evidence that they did not commit the crime. But they're not photogenic with celebrities. These kids weren't exonerated by conclusive DNA evidence, but celebrities flocked to them solely because of a crappy documentary that didn't even try to provide a balanced picture. Fucking Lemmings can't think for themselves.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

There have been scores of regular people working to free them long before Vedder and Maines stepped in. The Innocence Project has been involved. The DNA testing in 2007 found that there was none of the three's DNA on any collected evidence. Witnesses have recanted, there was juror misconduct in the trials, and two of the three victims' families now believe that the WM3 are innocent. The one family member that doesn't had his DNA found, and his ex-wife (the mother of Stevie Branch) believes that HE did it.

I've read tons about the case, and not just had my mind swayed by the docs and the celebs. The 'confession' was given by Jessie, and there are tons of inaccuracies in it. Jessie's not the brightest bulb on the shelf. There was no other evidence besides some shaky fiber evidence, and a bunch of heresay.

I'm glad they're free, but sorry the state of AR saw fit to do it this way. Jason held out on the deal because he didn't want to admit guilt to a crime he didn't commit. He wanted to stay in jail and see it through a second trial. He signed off on it to get Damien off death row as quickly as possible.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

12 people can be wrong, especially 12 god fearing morons.

Totally agree. If by some strange chance either the millionaire or I were accused of a heinous crime in the community where we live, we would be most harshly judged by our divorces, music choices, tattoos and the fact that we have no local church ties by a jury of our "peers." The facts wouldn't matter, because to the people around here, all of the above ARE the facts.

All that said, I hope that somebody finds out with REAL evidence who killed those kids.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 6:30 pm

crappy doc that didn't give a balanced view? like the fucking trials? the state of ark. sure as hell didn't give a balanced picture to those 2 juries.

i was so glad to see the pics of echols on the roof of the madison last night, and baldwin down on main street last night. i'm happy for them. they were fucking railroaded.

hemant...what is your beef with the celebs? all they did was bring attention to the 3. hell, i didn't know vedder or depp were supporters until last year. folks have been trying to keep the story out there for the last 15 at least.

having said all that, i thought they were guilty as hell UNTIL the docs came out. that's when it became apparent that this was nothing but a witch hunt.

the little guy finally won one.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 6:40 pm

if the WM3 played football, went to church, listened to Garth Brooks, and had short hair, they would have never been charged because their slack-jawed "peers" would have approved of their "lifestyle". Anyone who denies this is feeble-minded.
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 10:10 pm

if the WM3 played football, went to church, listened to Garth Brooks, and had short hair, they would have never been charged because their slack-jawed "peers" would have approved of their "lifestyle". Anyone who denies this is feeble-minded.

Amen.
The whole 'satanic' tilt was absolutely manufactured by the prosecution, and they had an 'expert' up there to testify that was totally wack. All I've read shows the whole trial and prosecution to be some kind of crazy mass hysteria thing involving covens, Alastair Crowley, and the like. It was all ludicrous.
Those guys were railroaded...sure as I'm sitting here.
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 2:02 pm

crappy doc that didn't give a balanced view? like the fucking trials? the state of ark. sure as hell didn't give a balanced picture to those 2 juries.

That means that their defense attorneys failed.. or they evidence was too strong. Its not the job of the prosecutor (who represents the state of Arkansas) to show that they didn't do it. That is the job of the defense.

With practically unlimited defense money in their coffers now, they should have gone to trial to fully clear their name. Unless they knew that evidence against them is still too strong....
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 4:42 pm

With practically unlimited defense money in their coffers now, they should have gone to trial to fully clear their name. Unless they knew that evidence against them is still too strong....

that is kind of a presumptuous thing to say as a free man...you cannot rationalize what it is like to be in prison for 18 years...you might of said "ok" to anything if you had been on death row for that long.
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

That means that their defense attorneys failed.. or they evidence was too strong.

. . . or there was jury tampering, and statements from key witnesses that were later recanted, and a manufactured confession obtained from a retarded minor after a 12 hour grilling by the police, only a fraction of which was recorded . . . not to mention the whole satanic angle that was fabricated after the under-qualified coroner decided animal bites after the fact were instead sexual mutilations that happened during the crime. I don't know if you remember it, but satanic panic was a big thing in the eighties into the early nineties and there is a whole slew of cases from around the country and canada that saw convictions of people for ritual abuse, convictions that were later almost 100 percent overturned, or at the very least, shown to have nothing to do with satanism.

Ok..so dudes are free. Are any celebs gonna step up and fund further investigation into trying to figure out who did brutally murder those kids. Doubtful. Those kids arent here anymore...at all.

The ironic thing about this, is that due to the various factions of the Arkansas judicial system not wanting to admit they were wrong, it is those very celebrities you seem so bitter about, and the attention and money they helped raise that will push this case forward. Arkansas isn't footing the bill for DNA tests, the West Memphis 3 are. However, West Memphis fucked up, FUCKED UP, badly in almost every aspect of the investigation, including the crime scene and the bathroom of the Bojangles were a bloody man was sited around the same time as the murders would have happened, so if something more comes of this, I will be truly be amazed. You can't spin gold from straw despite the fairytale.

I think the biggest thing is they can't sue the state for false imprisonment, or profit on book or movie deals, etc. It is bullshit ...

Actually, I read today that, because of the type of plea they copped, an Alford plea, they can indeed make money on book and movie deals. So there's a little bright spot. It's still bullshit, but a little less so.
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 8:09 am

Actually, I read today that, because of the type of plea they copped, an Alford plea, they can indeed make money on book and movie deals. So there's a little bright spot. It's still bullshit, but a little less so.

Yeah, I found that out after I originally posted. I hope this will help them all.
Also, I mis-spoke in one of my previous posts. It's the Moore family that still thinks they are guilty, not Steve Branch's mother.
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 9:47 am

The only person I know who had any "inside info" thought they were guilty. Whether or not they should have been convicted is another question.

Hemant told me about this the other night (If you're referring to the same good doctor), and I've been thinking about it a lot. In '93 and '94, wasn't she still in med school? Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but was she as a med school student really privy to that evidence? Did she examine it first hand, and if so, how did that happen? I'm sure she was probably around someone who might have seen it. Perhaps even someone who later strapped a bomb to themselves with barbed wire.
I'm going to have to give her a call.
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 2:22 pm

All I know is what she said. I do believe that you can work in the ME office without being a MD and see all kinds of stuff.

Also, that ME wasn't convicted of strapping a bomb to himself with barbed wire, either.

As John Branston wrote in the Flyer:

So the attack on O. C. Smith is the ultimate Memphis cold case.

But it shouldn't be. The case, which was once the top priority nationally of the BATF, should be reopened because only two conclusions are possible, and neither is acceptable: Either Smith was attacked by a mad bomber who is still at large and apt to strike again against Smith or some other public official. Or a medical examiner who gave key testimony in hundreds, if not thousands, of criminal cases had severe mental problems, sent investigators on an expensive wild goose chase, and endangered the lives of the men who disarmed the homemade bomb around his neck.
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I can't remember, was O. C. a Metallica fan or not?
Posted: Aug 23, 2011 10:52 am

Unsane fan.
Posted: Aug 23, 2011 12:41 pm

If he got to hear Scattered, Smothered and Covered live in its entirety, then there would have been more that just himself wrapped in barbed wire.
Posted: Aug 23, 2011 5:04 pm | Edited by: eric o

Off O.C.'s Facebook page:

Music: Cadaver, Autopsy, Coroner, Baphomet, Suffocation, Pointilistic Sacrilige, early Morbid Angel, Visceral Bleeding, Necrophant, Postmortem, Cannibal Corpse, Wire, Scatman Crothers.
Posted: Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Metal, death metal, black metal, and scat. That's pretty much what I'm into.
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 10:43 pm

Seems like the Supreme Court ruling in November had a lot more to do with this and this is the state's way of saving face. If the SC allows evidence to be re-examined/ opened up, and if by whatever percent chance that you think they are guilty (which can be neither 0% nor 100%), the state still loses.

Agree 100%, and I've never been a supporter of theirs other than agreeing that new DNA testing should be done with modern technology when the state was stonewalling. Releasing them by allowing them to admit guilt is the weasel way out for the city of West Memphis and the State of Arkansas to let three men out of prison without having to admit any rush to judgement or any to police/prosecution shortcuts. They don't release kid murderers because they merely because they became cause celebs around these parts.
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 3:33 pm

eric o
Why happened with the Steve pocket knife that he carried always with him that Pam his mother found in a tool box of her then husband Terry Hobbs step father to Stevie. What did Detective Ron Lax do with this information. I never see anything or read about this, when Ron Lax worked to help the defense teams. The fact Terry Hobbs didn't call police while his wife was working is insane along with Byers deferring to HIS baby! Christopher Byers was not his child! Between both Step fathers abusive past and Byers always from hand center it is more than obvious they BOTH ARE GUILTY ! They MURDERED 3 eight year olds two were step sons to the most Hideous MONSTERS walking free to date that the Devil would not even want to touch! Why didn't Terry Hobbs called police and wife at work to say not home from bike riding in the evening, what happen with pocket knife Pam Hobbs found that is not the knife found behind Byers home in lake? Who are these two not arrested tried and convicted?? Why ??
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®