Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Dick Williams Magicland?
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:23 pm

I remember some show back in the 80's called Magicland on channel 5. The weatherman Dick Williams did all these cheesy magic tricks for kids, mostly cub scouts in the tv 5 studio on Sunday mornings. I think it's the same place where they did tv 5 wrestling. Anyway, try airing that shit today and it gets cancelled after 2 weeks.
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Posted: May 20, 2011 8:15 pm

It was on Sunday mornings after the gospel music stuff and egghead weekend news commentator shit like "Face the Nation " . Magicland was on the air almost 30 years(?) sponsored by MacDonald's. In the early days Bugs Bunny cartoons were part of the show.One of the longest running kid's shows ever. Before cable and even UHF stations came to Memphis there were only three TV stations plus channel 10 (pre- Sesame Street). Magicland was a godsend to non church going kids like me whose only TV alternatives were preachers, hillbilly gospel or boring news assholes. Dick Williams saved us from the sheer misery of Sunday morning TV ghetto when we had to be quiet or our parents would murder us because of their acute hangovers.
Posted: May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I remember it. We got some of the Memphis stations in NE MS. What Rumple wrote is dead on, hell it was almost touching.
Posted: May 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah, now I remember McDonalds had a hand in it because I recall special visits from Ronald himself to the studio. No wonder the kids got addicted to happy meals and all that shit. They also had a "Color The Weather" promotion they did during the 5 o' clock tv 5 weather segments. Kids would pick up a picture of a blank tv screen at your local Macs and draw/color some shitty picture that would be displayed on tv if you were lucky enough. They would do a drawing at the end of the promo and the winner got a Ronald clock. I remember working on that shit for hrs trying to do a cool pic but it was rigged from the get go.
Posted: May 21, 2011 12:19 am

Could anyone ever do that finger thing?

Magicland!
Posted: May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Posted: May 22, 2011 1:28 pm

I can do the finger "thing" with both hands. I hated going to church, and it was fucking fantastic to be sick on sunday morning. Magicland was the best goddamned TV show EVER!!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®