Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / YoLo at Cooper/ Madison
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 9:39 am

that joint be BUMPIN!

teenagers and twentysomethings don't seem to care that the facade is not the same as the building that stood there 20 years ago- they've got a place they actually want to go to.

And across the street, there's still empty buildings.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 1:13 pm

teenagers and twentysomethings don't seem to care that the facade is not the same as the building that stood there 20 years ago- they've got a place they actually want to go to.

Almost a Haiku
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Kate and I had the vanilla biscotti with gummy bears and trix. 'Twas bangin...
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

No shit. Every time I drive by they have a great crowd. That place is gonna clean up this summer.

I've already been there 3 or 4 times.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Dig the place but I always suffer sticker shock when checking out. Not that it's not worth it though.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 3:36 pm

I was smoking outside of Boscos late one night and could not believe the amount of people packed in there to eat TCBY. Fucking crazycakes.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Now if they would just turn Lenny's into a cell phone place... what a happenin' intersection!
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 10:43 pm

yolo and chipotle in one week. filled up my belly's yuppie quota with some fucking good eats
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 8:59 am

They wouldn't be empty if Tenants weren't forced out.

The Yogurt trend will soon die down.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

I always suffer sticker shock when checking out.

You gotta load up on the lightest toppings like Fruity Trix or something, skip the gummy worms.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 11:29 am

The buildings are empty because the rent is almost the highest per square foot in the city. My favorite sign in midtown is now the one hanging on the old comedy club that promises businesses in Overton Square in 2012. Uh, yeah right. Until you bring your rent down to an acceptable midtown level and clean the insides of the buildings so they don't look like Pidgeon Wars took place in there- no one is moving in. That corner of the square will always be turned over business-wise or empty until a real estate crew gets in there with a clue. If the ownership stays the same, so will that corner.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 11:53 am

I thought Loeb was taking over Overton Square. Surely their business model involves actual business.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Loeb is and their business is not actual business. More likely than not, they will try to keep their expenses paid until they can find a suitable retail chain/ chains that will buy the property at a large profit from them. Not saying anything bad about capitalism but that's what is going to happen because the fixing/ upkeep of those buildings has to be astronomical with the decay the interiors have gone through just sitting there. Also, no normal retailers (ie local) can afford the rent. In essence they've priced themselves out of the local market. Loeb has every right to do with their money as they see fit but their record of keeping local businesses open (especially restaurants and bars) is virtually non-existent.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Lease to Performa for a dollar a year?
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Chipotle is no different than Moes or Blue Coast Burrito, their salsa was awful and you have to pay for chips and salsa. At least Moes has a free salsa bar with several different choices. Chipotle is so super hyped, run of the mill crap. Got to Los Picosos on Summer. Yolo is tasty, but stupid expensive and just not that different than the others. Superhyped.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm

the only reason chipotle stands out is because their barbacoa kicks ass and they play the Slits' cover of "I Heard it through the Grapevine" every time I go in there.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Had the barbacoa, well the scoop of it they slopped on top of the gigantic pile of rice. Totally tasteless. Never goin back. Hyped crap.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Mark your calendars for Thursday, April 28 - 15% of sales at the Midtown YoLo will be donated to the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art! Thanks, YoLo!
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Yolo seems like an alright business. I appreciate that they offer a good amount of locally produced toppings (Dinstuhl's chocolate sauce, whatsherface's homemade granola, Makeda's cookies). That's cool, even if they sell frozen yoghurt.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Sam, you've got to do what I do and just get a bowl full of toppings. Fuck the yogurt!
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Now it's a haiku:

teenagers and twentysomethings don't seem to care that the facade is not the same as the building that stood there 20 summers ago

they've got a place they actually want to go to

And across the street, there's still empty buildings
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

chipotle was owned by mcdonalds. thats why they got so huge so fast.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

chipotle was owned by mcdonalds. thats why they got so huge so fast.

cause it's so delicious, just like mcdonalds?
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 11:22 pm

rice should never, ever be in a burrito
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am

Loeb has every right to do with their money as they see fit but their record of keeping local businesses open (especially restaurants and bars) is virtually non-existent.

Loeb doesn't actually own the property, but has negotiated an option for it. Its still owned by the same asshole owners in Colorado who don't understand Memphis rates. Like most out of town owners, they don't care what happens to the property, so long as they make money off of the eventual sale of it. And they did force out most of the tenants because they thought that an empty lot be more attractive to a national retailer/strip mall.

I usually look forward to Loeb taking over a property. You can tell Loeb properties from the rest: they tend to be well maintained, and occupied. In fact, they did just buy the gas station at Union and Cooper, and the one near the hitone. They've already started upgrading the one on Union so that it can reopen.
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 8:36 am

teenagers and twen
tysomethings don't seem to care
that the facade is

Now it's a haiku!
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 8:50 am

Home made food is better
than crap bought from hip new stores
Learn to cook you dopes!
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 9:47 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

yeah, because whipping up some soft serve organic frozen yogurt in your kitchen is a really easy task...dont know why people dont do it all the time.
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm

fair enough
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 10:15 am

Brooks fans: The Midtown YoLo (Madison & Cooper) is donating 15% of all of today's sales to the Brooks! Simply say, "I'm here for the Brooks" during your purchase. Buy yourself a sweet treat and help support the Memphis Brooks Museum!

also, if you post a picture of your YoLo treat on the Brooks' FB page today, we'll pick a random winner who will receive a free 1-year family membership and four tickets to Cirque du Soleil’s production of Alegría this Saturday, April 30th!
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Cirque du Soleil’s production of Alegría this Saturday, April 30th!

speak english, woman!!!
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 9:59 am

i think it's french?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®