Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hey, Memphis!
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 11:56 am

I will be visiting you in late May. Where might a BBQ lover eat that is not tourist BBQ? And where might that BBQ lover take her vegetarian traveling companion? Lylas, TW
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:13 pm

BBQ Shop, Payne's, Cozy Corner for BBQ
DeJa Vu, Hi-Tone, Kwik-Chek for Vegetarian
that's all I gots....
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:37 pm

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/541220?photo_id=227111

THIS LOOKS PROMISING

Though I am seeing it gets a lot of love from "foodies" so...you suuuure it ain't tourist bbq?
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 pm

It is totally NOT tourist bbq.
They have to close at dusk because the parking lot gets overrun by thugs.

Also, the hot bar at Whole Foods is pretty good for vegetarians. Not being facetious.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:15 pm

Topps. Corky's.

You can tell the real Memphs BBQ joints because they only use charcoal, and you can smell'em a mile away.

Remember, the dirtier and more ghetto a BBQ joint is, the more likely the food is so amazing that noone cares how dirty the restaraunt is.

That's the Memphis way; hide things of value under a thick crust of dirt to keep superficial people out.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:20 pm

also, never take BBQ advice from people who use the word "vegetarian" without being asked.

It's like asking fat people for dieting advice.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:20 pm

Cool, thank you. Trying to start looking into accommodations soon...will check old GF threads for reccs...hopefully something a little better than Red Roof Inn this time...
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:24 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

never take BBQ advice from people who use the word "vegetarian" without being asked

I am confuse.

Aforementioned vegetarian is not vegan and more of a don't ask/don't tell sort when it comes to dining out. Don't know how he'd fare with a plate of sides at a BBQ shop, though, as far as if he'd care that they were made w/ meat/stock/whatever.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:32 pm

Cozy Corner is great.

Payne's makes a mean sandwich. Their slaw is quite different though, you might want to get it on the side.

Fuel Cafe on Madison has vegan meals, a bit pricey for the portions though.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:52 pm

Anyone know anything about that Pilgrim House hostel? It's affiliated w/ a x-tian church but seems kind of hippy? Booze/"coffee"/living in sin friendly? Or no to those?
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 2:41 pm

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 2:53 pm

I should've added that it's a fairly open/liberal church from what I've heard.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 3:40 pm

There is no good reason for Corkys.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 5:02 pm

I am confuse.

Aforementioned vegetarian is not vegan and more of a don't ask/don't tell sort when it comes to dining out. Don't know how he'd fare with a plate of sides at a BBQ shop, though, as far as if he'd care that they were made w/ meat/stock/whatever.

Sorry, didn't see the part where you were traveling with a veggie.

I will say that no real "memphis" barbecue place would serve tofu. To anyone. For any reason. Ever. RP Tracks, as nice as the barbecued tofu nachos are, is not a real memphis barbecue place. Too many people who are capable of pronouncing the letter "g" and "r" in there.

I realize I may be showin' a bit of 'neck here, but my southern ways are diametrically opposed to vegetarianism. That's NY/LA culture, not Red State culture.

Basically, if your server can speak intelligible english and hold a conversation at a highschool level, it's probably not real memphis 'Q. It's an idiot savant sort of thing.

yeah, yeah, I grew up in a trailer. So sue me.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 5:52 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

Dude. I am from the BBQ Capital Of The World. OF THE WORLD.

I would never, ever, ever, seek out a vegetarian-friendly BBQ place (when looking for actual BBQ). Traveling companion is just gonna have to order a sweet tea and sit there as I enjoy my meat, and that's just how it's gonna be.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 5:57 pm

Dude. I am from the BBQ Capital Of The World. OF THE WORLD.

I don't understand, you're from Memphis but you don't know where to get good BBQ? Have you just been away for a long time?
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 6:38 pm | Edited by: colin

Yeah...Im confused as well. Corkys is some mass produced bullshit. Tops is my default sandwich and they also have ribs now which I have not tried. Paynes for the best sandwich, Cozy Corner for the best ribs, bbq spaghetti and cornish hen and the BBq Shop for the best sauce. Really, sorta all ya need to know.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 6:47 pm

Winner: colin
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 10:13 pm

Rendezvous has vegetarian red beans and rice and it's decent.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 10:23 pm

but totally hit or miss on the bbq
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah. I mean, it means you have to eat Rendezvous barbecue. But it's probably the best vegetarian option at any BBQ place in Memphis. It's good if you feel like makin' a compromise for one night!
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 8:37 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

I don't understand, you're from Memphis but you don't know where to get good BBQ? Have you just been away for a long time?

Where I'm from, BBQ is made from sheep. BAAAABQ! I love all sorts but I reckon it's like when someone from Memphis goes somewhere with cow meat BBQ, ya dig?
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 8:44 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

As far as accommodations...is the Artisan still around? I feel like I heard good things from people on here but am not having much finding that it exists in any capacity today.

Would like something that's not the suburbs or in the Beale St. mess...independently owned/operated would be nice but I guess that would be hard to get that's not a total shitbox or hella expensive. Shit, I think even my hometown's upscale hotels are still technically owned by chains in one way or another, except maybe 21C...a few other places I've checked would be like in the fucking thousands of dollars for 4 nights...fuck all that noise.

And let me reiterate: I am not trying to mix BBQ and vegetarianism. Though I guess maybe it'd be nice of me to try to find one single place that is passable enough for him to enjoy some sort of BBQ-ish type experience and for me to pretend to like bourgeois-b-q.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 9:12 am

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 9:49 am

$130 to $275 a night plus tax

o.O

Dang! Though I suppose the low end is lower than other places I was finding and totally reasonable given the accommodations and location.

I am, like...the cheapest person in the world, too, I guess. I'm all about the hostel thing provided they don't mind no sinning going on...
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:34 am

BBQ is made from sheep

Sheep? Isn't that what poor people eat?

Rendezvous can be great or terrible. It's funny though, kind of like Friday's in a basement.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:42 am

Isn't that what poor people eat?

Yes. Precisely.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:57 am

Goat BBQ is terrible, can't imagine sheep being much better.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 11:06 am

as far as hotel accomodations go- eh, you're kinda screwed on the "cheap" options. You can go to the Red Roof, tell them you're playing in a two man band with a sock puppet side show and they should give you a discount (they only do it for bands with sock puppets tho)- like $55 a night. Other than that, there really isn't anything cheap and independent. Even Gen-X is like $80-$100 a night.

If you want to go to Rendezvous, go really early- like 5:30pm early. That's when the last batch of ribs comes off for the night and they are really good. By 7:30, you're in a crapshoot.

Basically, if your server can speak intelligible english and hold a conversation at a highschool level, it's probably not real memphis 'Q. It's an idiot savant sort of thing.

No offense, but that's rude. I know a lot of the people at Cozy Cormer and BBQ Shop- they are neither dumb nor idiot savants. Just normal people like me and you. No need to make broad sweeping generalizations that only reinforce media stereotypes. Sweet people all of them.

Seriously, though, DeJa Vu is an absolute MUST. On Florida St. Only open till 3pm. It's a New Orleans (real) joint with food for the carnivores and herbivores and very dedicated to both groups. Shouldn't be missed.

You a Kiwi or an Aussie?
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 11:38 am

Seriously, though, DeJa Vu is an absolute MUST. On Florida St. Only open till 3pm

Hey bitchin, you been to the one in S. Memphis that's open for dinner? The chef leaves the Florida St. one and goes over there to cook. That dude rules.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 11:58 am

No offense, but that's rude. I know a lot of the people at Cozy Cormer and BBQ Shop- they are neither dumb nor idiot savants. Just normal people like me and you. No need to make broad sweeping generalizations that only reinforce media stereotypes. Sweet people all of them.

I'll have you know I wallow in my rudeness and abnormality.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:00 pm

wait.... they opened a NEW one!?!?!?!?! The one out by the mall got closed. Went there the first week they were open and Chef Gary was a little worried that people wouldn't come. My step mother looked at my father and myself like we were taking her to some crazy place. Once we got inside she loved it. Her and my father were taking clients there left and right..... and then the tax man stepped in and closed it down which was a shame, it was a really nice, but really huge, place. Could've been a great locale for off the beaten path people, but once again, the State of Tennessee loves to kill the little guy.
Is that the space you speak of or is there another (like a Lea to a Luke?)
And yes, Gary Williams is an awesome man. We got a little tipsy a few weeks back at the Tone. He stayed to watch the first part of Manatees and really enjoyed it. I asked to stay for Thee Oh Sees but he had to be up early the next day and we'd been cocktailing since about 3pm. Good times.
Still gots your Davila poster in my office.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks, I couldn't get it that night.
Office all locked up tight.

Nah, that's the one I was talking about. Haven't been out to eat in a while.
Damn. The decor in that place was pretty awesome too, usually deserted the 3 or so times I ate there.

Ha, Chef Williams digs the Manatees! Maybe he'd give Abe a job.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:14 pm

Goat BBQ is terrible, can't imagine sheep being much better.

Cabrito is awesome if done right...shit has to be smoked underground in some sort of Mayan ritual, I think a child has to be sacrificed. But I have had some old-school mexican goat in Texas that was amazing.

the mutton ribs at Rendezvous are merely OK. Leave the lambs and sheep to the Hindus and Muslims, they are the only ones who can cook that shit well...
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:47 pm

Never had goat bbq...honestly, am a little afraid, though I suppose others probably feel the same way about old ass no-good sheep...I am from Kentucky not...New Zealand?
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 1:23 pm

Also several Indian and Viet joints in midtown that offer lots of veg stuff. Indai Palace, Golden India, Pho Hoa, Saigon Le etc.. Central Bbq has a portabella sandwich that they serve with slaw, gouda chz and bbq sauce. Pretty tasty.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 1:32 pm

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 1:53 pm

Colin also meant to tell you that Central BBQ has TERRIBLE BBQ.

There's a really good Vietnamese place with lots of veggie stuff, New Que Huong, but it's all the way out in Collierville.

Golden India > Mayuri >> India Palace (they suck)
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 1:56 pm

A new Vegan place is opening up near that church Hostel in two weeks:

Right next to Goner!

Golden India > Mayuri >> India Palace (they suck)

I like Mayuri and WOODLANDS the best.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks ya'lls! I'm pretty stoked. Hopefully we can catch a show or two while in town. I see the Spits are playing but that will be the day we're heading back, unfortunately. May make a stop in Nashville and/or BGKY for some Grimeys and tattoos...hmm...maybe I will get a GONER tattoo in Memphis. How do you feel about that?
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 4:03 pm

Man...I went to Mayuri last Friday night solo for their buffet and it was super good. Stuffed myself sore.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 4:23 pm

the Mayuri tandoori lamb kebab is amazing
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 4:24 pm

I like how the shorter of the two Mayuri guys bears a striking resemblance to Andy Earles. (Andy, don't get mad, I don't mean anything negative by that.)
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 10:44 am

What is up w/ this memphis hates you fest??? I guess that will be going on. Bands not announced yet.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 10:46 am

Metal, heavy music. Half the bands are good, half are meh. Well intentioned.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:17 am

Awesome!!!

Also re: Full Tabernacle. Attending Thurs. evening choir practice as a spectator: yay or nay?
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:28 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

P.S. Any standout metal bands worth trying to catch? IDK how Memphis is with its metal but it's relatively silo'd here...

Fuck, I haven't had any sort of vacation really since 2008 that did not involve some kind of wedding related bullshit, I am so stoked.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:49 am

Cremains was pretty impressive last time I saw them.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:53 am

Cremains fucking rip. Process of Suffocation is alright, they've got pigs heads. Wolves Are Robots is good. Adios Gringo, if playing, but probably not.

Those are off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone who would be offended if I didn't mention them. Fuck it.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 1:27 pm

We're gonna stay at the hostel. So stoked. Hope there's at least a show or two that is more up my alley...I do like metal but it's not, like, my thing...

I had a weird dream I was in Al Green's church during choir practice. It was all action-adventure though.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 7:55 pm

whitesnake and tora tora may 25
Posted: Apr 25, 2011 10:27 pm

30 days! We're coming in a day early and gonna stay somewhere "fancy" and do the rest of our time at the hostel, since we'll mostly be out and about anyway. Can't wait, ya'll.
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 11:15 am

Also - best put-put in Memphis area???
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Also - best put-put in Memphis area???

http://www.golfandgamesmemphis.com/

I believe it was touted as the largest in the country at one point.
Posted: May 16, 2011 10:05 am

Counting down! Any shows that you know of that aren't MHY Fest or Holly Golightly or the Greenhornes?
Posted: May 16, 2011 10:46 am

Spits on the 29th!
Posted: May 16, 2011 11:55 am

We'll be headed back to Kentucky, unfortunately. I think we're going to MHY sausagefest for a bit. Saw that Cola Feaks are playing @ Poplar lounge so we'll prolly check that out too.
Posted: May 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Come see Gypsy Hawk Saturday at the Hit One. They are playing Memphis Hates you Fest, but are in actuality from Los Angeles. And they will melt your face.

Gypsy Hawk!
Posted: May 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Yup. We plan on Jack Oblivian or Cola Freaks fri. night and metal on sat. Were locked out of our "inn." Spookytimes!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®