Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Taqueria in cooper young....
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 10:36 pm

..... anybody been there yet? My lady friend sais it's delicioussss!!! still no beer license, but who cares!

and the prices are very reasonable!
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 9:31 am

Where?
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 9:59 am

next door to au fond, in the recently closed grace spot. No sign up so you wouldn't know. think they are open tuesdays through saturday.

i'm going to check it out tomorrow night and will report back.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 11:53 am

It's Ben Vaughn's new place.

That's reason enough not to go.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:39 pm

That's reason enough not to go

here here
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 3:13 pm

still no beer license, but who cares!

After speaking to former Grace employees, it sounds like it will take some creativity to procure a license. Owner has had some legal troubles in the past. Not saying it won't happen though.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 4:26 pm

you can bring your own beer and drinks in.

That's reason enough not to go

don't know who ben vaughn is, sooooooo....
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 9:14 am

He's a raging hard-on, shitty chef and impossible to work for.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:40 am

Au Fond Farmtable Au Fond sucks.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:02 pm

if it is like his other places, he will change the way the food is prepared and how much it costs every couple days...the taco you get on tuesday will cost more and be prepared differently on Thursday and on Friday they will decide not to carry it anymore.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Ok, got talked into going earlier. I got four tacos: Steak, pork, chicken and chorizo.

The chorizo wasn't too bad, but I couldn't tell the other 3 apart because they all tasted the same: bland. It's amazing that someone could fuck up such a simple concept. The tortillas were too big and the meat portions were waaaaaay too small compared the lettuce thrown in them.

Maybe I'm spoiled due to frequenting Los Picosos so much lately, but I just don't see this place lasting long. Especially with the poor service.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 8:00 am

The tortillas were too big and the meat portions were waaaaaay too small compared the lettuce thrown in them.

lettuce? two tortillas. meat. onion. cilantro. end.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 8:14 am

but I couldn't tell the other 3 apart because they all tasted the same: bland

those were the exact same words i said last night. Had the pork, steak, and chorizo and honestly didn't know which one i was eating. they all tasted the same. my girlfriend had three different ones and turned to me during her second and said "is this the fish one? i can't tell."

they had absolutely no flavor to them.

will not be going back.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

lettuce? two tortillas. meat. onion. cilantro. end.

I completely agree. It was actually cabbage, which tastes worse.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 1:23 pm

these are not encouraging reports.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Yeah...make it easy. Los Picosos!
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 4:29 pm

looking back i can honestly say those were the worst tacos i've ever had.
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

It's nowhere near Cooper-Young but I hit up the new Garibaldi location on Knight Arnold today. They haven't lost a step.
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a positive restaurant review for anything that wasn't blatantly marketed as foreign on these boards.

I'm beginning to detect an omnipresent sense of cultural self loathing in that, which is a goddamn shame, really.
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a positive restaurant review for anything that wasn't blatantly marketed as foreign

You mean like Chipotle?
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm

what? Cozy Corner, Paynes, Top's burgers?

These are American FOODS!
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Uncle Lou's foreign? BTW: I asked Uncle Lou if he could run a special for Gonerfest attendees and he said he was very willing.
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Cozy Corner, Paynes

some people might be inclined to call those "Kenyan", if you know what i'm sayin...

so is this that fat fuckball who used to run Grace? he was a complete psychopath to my girlfriend whose employer at the time was giving him a deal on an ad. which he never paid for. i mean the guy was just completely out of line. i've never really been big on retribution, but i came perilously close to stumbling in there one "busy" weekend night and taking a massive dump in a chair and then strolling out.
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:59 pm

aaaaaaaaand it's closed for good.

That didn't take long.
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

are you sure? i think they're closed on wednesdays.
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm

are you sure? i think they're closed on wednesdays.

Closed for good.
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 3:05 pm

???

from Ben Vaughn's twitter:

We are closed right now for a few changes and adjustments. We will reopen on Saturday and expect to see you all!!!
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 3:46 pm

from Au Fond's facebook:

Hot off the Press, Au Fond will reopen on Saturday in the space next door. El Diablo will not reopen. After several meetings and adjustments our family has decided we love Au Fond too much to close, but we do need to down size. I will be in the kitchen everyday starting Saturday and I hope to see all of our great regular customers. Thank you all for the first year of support, Now help us in the new space with year number 2
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

aha!

I guess the competition from Cafe Ole was too much?
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 1:02 pm

My wife's ressponse: "Ha! Well, supposedly he's some great chef, yet he can't make a taco."
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 6:03 pm

ZING!
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 8:47 pm

It's nowhere near Cooper-Young but I hit up the new Garibaldi location on Knight Arnold today. They haven't lost a step.

Is the one on Summer still there? I went with Rumpleforeskin a while back but can't remember exactly where it was
Posted: May 3, 2011 3:55 pm

aaaaaaaaaand Au Fond is closed now too.

Dude is done.
Posted: May 3, 2011 4:38 pm

the one on Summer is now called Los Picosos. Cheap and good.
Posted: May 3, 2011 4:53 pm

Damn, one month from beginning of thread to BOTH his places gone.

Karma, some would argue.
Posted: May 3, 2011 10:21 pm

He should stick to his radio show, The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn.
Posted: May 4, 2011 5:13 pm

The comments section of the Commercial Appeal from the story of Au Fond closing is quite impressive. Dude has pissed off a sizable portion of this city. Never been, never wanted to go. Heard horror stories from former employees. Anyone who treats other humans like that should fail...
Posted: May 4, 2011 6:11 pm

los picosos fo lyfe!
Posted: May 9, 2011 2:26 pm

That new Italian place anygood?
Posted: May 9, 2011 4:25 pm

The comments section of the Commercial Appeal from the story of Au Fond closing is quite impressive.

Good readin' indeed. Thanks bitchin.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®