Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / 2011 Resurrection
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 4:52 pm

If there is one thing I think we can all agree on, it's that 2010 has been a rough year on the city of Memphis and it's music scene. The amount of losses to gains was very unbalanced. For ever music fan/musician living in this city, things have got to change around here cause they can't get much worse. If people would come together half as much as they do for basketball, we'd be up and flying again. There is so much raw talent here but we choose segregate and isolate ourselves rather than unite and conquer. Why? Insults need to be replaced with pats on the back. High fives followed by "Good game!" What's it gonna hurt? Why are we our own worst enemy? I've been listening to the musical death rattle around town for a while now and I'm sick of the sound. I can't sit by and watch the rattle make it's last shake. Personally, 2011 and it's big 4 days of life have been better for me than all of last year. 2010 took it's toll on me and if I rubbed anybody the wrong way, I apologize. I plan on being too busy this year to let the slow draining pace of the music scene bring me down. I plan on recording and releasing as much music as I can for a variety of bands and artists this year. Expect to see me behind the turntables and a drum kit a lot more. I promise you'll be hearing a lot more live music on your community radio station as well. I've noticed there is a certain unity that the younger bands around town seem to have now days that I haven't seen since the mid 90's. We need to encourage them to hold it together before they get old and jaded like the rest of us. We can all learn from their inexperience, if that makes any sense. Some of my favorite musicians around town have carried the weight of the scene on their shoulders for far too long. Some of these mentioned favorites can hardly pay their rent. These folks could clearly make a decent living off their talents in another city, but choose to stay here for some reason. We should really show our appreciation to them for that. They make the scene what it is, but we all need to help out if it's gonna grow. There has been nothing more refreshing lately than hearing and seeing a "new" Memphis band. I hope they continue to surface this year. Power is greater in numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have hit rock bottom and I see it as we have 3 choices now.... Get it together, call it quits, or we should all start playing the blues again. I guess that's what this post here on the Goner message board is all about. Let's fucking get it together people!!!!! 2011 is here and now.
My new year's resolution is to start publicly dancing. I hope I can do it. I can't really get mad that nobody dances when I DJ if I won't even do it myself. I'm gonna try Saturday night at the Hi-Tone. Eric and I are gonna play a variety of records all night. There is no cover charge and a beer bust from 9-12. I hope the outcome of a basketball game doesn't alter your ability to have a good time that night, no matter what you do. Thanks for reading.
Love, Buck
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 6:04 pm

My new year's resolution is to start publicly dancing.

I'll see you and raise you "public exposure".
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 11:16 pm

fuck yeah! Saturday's gonna rule. Last year at the hitone shindig, we won freaking 8th row tix. cannot ever pass that chance up.
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 9:07 am

get buck!get buck!get buck!get buck!get buck!
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 9:51 am

"Start publicly dancing" has got to be the best New Year's Resolution I've seen. And one of the most important things people could do to help the scene (whatever the fuck that means). Of course, bands could help this by writing songs that people want to dance to, but the culture of not dancing is pretty ingrained in certain circles, so it's gonna take a little of the old "fake it 'til you make it" magic to break the cycle.
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 10:30 pm

Breakdance to No Comply! That'l shake things up!
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:08 am

bands could help this by writing songs that people want to dance to

TSOT has songs that have their own dances... Nobody wants to listen to them though.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:19 pm

Fine, just no 2011 erections please.

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:54 pm

Totally appreciate your sentiment, man, and will try to join in your optimism. Last year got me down too, especially from the fall into the end of the year. Save for the new studio, I've been stuck in a "what's the point of all this" funk about my own projects and supporting other folk's music. Many of the shows I saw last year were ones where I was working in some form; I can probably count on two hands the number of shows I went to because I really wanted to see/hear it. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my feelings, and I too, promise to try to turn this frown upside-down.

In other good news, I think this year is the 25th year anniversary of the beginnings of Adios Gringos (starting with Private War, then Taintskins, etc.). Maybe this will be the year some of the local "critics" give them their due. I mean, come on; 25 years of doing what they wanted to do (the way they wanted to do it, not caring what anybody thinks; you either like it, or don't), with only tiny mention every now and then by the press compared to the mounds of ink slathered on some flash-in-the-pan indie acts that were "poised for success" - only to fold under their own weight. But there I go getting all "hater with poor sentence structure" again. Sorry.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 5:41 pm

I've been stuck in a "what's the point of all this" funk about my own projects and supporting other folk's music

Man, I hate that you feel this way. All I can say about it is that you sent me a IV cd that I enjoyed the shit out of, also I downloaded 'Box of Feelings" and enjoyed the shit out of it. I would have paid for those if you were selling 'em.

I really want to participate and check out some local shows, It's just that the shows start so late and I have so many responsibilties from work/home that it's hard to make it work. I WILL make it work a couple of times this year though.

I mentioned in another thread a long time ago that someone should do a Memphis music comp. I'd love to have that.

Man, If some Memphis music lovers lived in small rural towns like mine for awhile they might appreciate their local scene more. If I want live music I go to the closest dive and listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd covers all night.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:56 pm

the point of "all this" is to have fun...

and not worry about who comes to hear you play

or how many people

or how often

seems like most of the folks i know play in bands or run sound or record bands, etc.

this town is saturated and that's good. have you ever been to a small city where everybody loves one mediocre band cause that's almost all there is?
it blows.

this has been stated on this board before: if your band is good, regardless of who you know or are friends with, folks will show up. if your band's not that good, folks won't show up unless they're good friends.

this is not aimed at anyone. but if, by your thirties, people aren't packing the house to hear your new "punk" band, then you should probably make "having fun" your modus operandi.

so, have fun.

i love memphis.

and i love the way drunk bums dance to shitty blues bands with drunk tourist women on beale street while their husbands look on and grin uncomfortably. it's called the "Broken Ankle Beale Street Bum Shuffle" and i've mastered it. just ask buck...
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:12 pm

I've been reading all of your comments and I think I understand what you're all getting at. You miss me.
I can't say that I blame you. I've been out of circulation for a while, but I'm gonna do my best to make this year the Scott Rogerseryest year ever - for all of you!

You're welcome!
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 7:29 am

My new year's resolution is to STOP publicly dancing.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 am

they just don't get it.ts kinda like aerobics and "people" only feel comfortable doin aerobics at home or if there wearin a mask.so wear a mask but take into consideration noone gives a shit and you shouldnt either.but im also a better dancer than all of you.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 8:22 am

TSOT has songs that have their own dances... Nobody wants to listen to them though
yeah what he said
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 11:40 am

Bottom line is that we should all apply outslves at stuff we love to do (i.e. music) since any one of us could get hit in the ass by a trolley car tomorrow.

I intend to work hard this year.

Salud.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 2:47 pm

Dear 2010,
Thank you for going away.
Signed,
Memphis.

they just don't get it.ts kinda like aerobics and "people" only feel comfortable doin aerobics at home or if there wearin a mask.so wear a mask but take into consideration noone gives a shit and you shouldnt either.but im also a better dancer than all of you.
Abe, I'm not sure I get the true meaning of this post, but I'm going to have it tattooed on my arm cause it sounds so right.

I've been reading all of your comments and I think I understand what you're all getting at. You miss me.
I can't say that I blame you. I've been out of circulation for a while, but I'm gonna do my best to make this year the Scott Rogerseryest year ever - for all of you!

You're welcome!

You're correct, Scott and Thank You!

Buck and Robin, keep those beards held high in 2011 (oh wait.....)
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 5:24 pm

I danced for two months in Memphis and it almost killed me. Quinn gave me some apples, and I got some cereal from Coco, but everyone else just gave me filthy looks. And I dance good, too. Good luck, Buck.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 5:25 pm

P.s. I really want to go for a beer with Cole.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 5:27 pm

P.p.s I miss Scott Rogers.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 6:09 pm

P.s. I really want to go for a beer with Cole.

I love beer and good company. We can do this! Email is in my profile.
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 5:11 am

Email is in my profile.

And Muddy is in his London.
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 10:02 am

yeah, that will be a stretch, but hopefully @ Gonerfest 8 - if not before!
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 10:14 am

Geezer Golightly here...2010 was okay...got to play with my old pals in The Crime at the place formerly known as The Well reunion...The Everyday Parade did not do as many shows as I'd like...but Jeffrey and The Pacemakers played almost 50 shows ...and although it is a band I dearly love and playing the music I dearly love, it is strictly a money band. Since i got my pay cut a couple of years ago, I did my best to turn JATP into a money maker and it's just now paying off...Huey's gigs keep us tight and any private parties we get come from playing Hueys. For a second job, it's pretty cool and beats sacking groceries (sacking groceries is easier but not as much fun)....come to the Hitone Jan 30th...we are pretty bad ass if you like 60's British Invasion music...ifanybody wants a warm up band, The Everyday Parade would love to play....and if there is a geezer night at Gonerfest, The Crime would be honored...but hurry while we are still alive.
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 10:15 am

...and more Scott Rogers please
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 4:05 pm

"Broken Ankle Beale Street Bum Shuffle"
TONIGHT!
Posted: Jan 9, 2011 2:59 pm

buck & VR was kickin' out the jamz last night... cleared a spot for buck to get wildin'... had to leave early but that crew was itchin' for a boogie-down!
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

TSOT has songs that have their own dances... Nobody wants to listen to them though.

whatever. i love TSOT songs that have dances that go with them! BELUGA!!!!!!

Gonerfest 8

i'm going to this, even if it kills me. i am NOT letting roller derby get in the way of my going to it this year. while chicago treats me well, i miss going out to shows in memphis. it's just not the same.
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Truly, a man of his words.
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 5:36 pm

2011... so far soooooooooo good! Past 2 months kicked 2010 in the ass. Let's keep it up.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®