Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Least annoying/quickest DMV?
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 10:39 am

So after 4 years of moving from Portland, buying a car has forced me to finally get a Tennessee Drivers License. I'm sure I'll have to hand in my rad Oregon DL with my killer mustachioed photo.

I'm gonna go Thursday morning to the DMV. I understand it will suck no matter where I go but is there one that sucks a little less than others? Maybe one that I'll only have to sit in for 3 hours rather than 4?
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 10:55 am

The location is Oakland, TN is fast, friendly, and worth the drive.

http://tn.gov/safety/dlstations/fayette.htm

The Whitehaven branch took me under an hour for a renewal and has armed security.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 12:46 pm

If you can avoid the end of the month / start of the month logjam, my last trip through Washington St DMV was painless. And clerk's office behind the (out of biz?) Bookstar on Poplar was Empty.

No armed security.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 1:17 pm

Covington. An hour drive and no waiting. All the clerks were little old ladies who looked like my grandma. They were really nice.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 2:01 pm

Best DMV ever in Memphis was just opened on Lamar just before you get to the interstate (going south east from midtown). It's on the east side of the street and there's a sign to direct you. I have never had to wait more than one car.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 2:19 pm

I think they just opened one up on whitten as well. right at i40
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 3:47 pm

the one on whitten can either be great or a total nightmare. depends on if the Cripps, err truckers, are getting their renewals and that shit ain't always done at the start or end of a month. Also, google the webcam for the dmvs and you can see the lines online throughout the day.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 4:04 pm

Went 3 weeks ago to the one on White Station just north of Summer and waited 10 minutes. It really is much easier if you dont go at the end/begining of the month. Wait a week or so.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 11:06 pm

Not taking the car to inspection, just yet.

I need to go get a drivers license first. Not tags.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 11:11 pm

...and in one post, my true identity is blown!
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 8:42 am

So after 4 years of moving from Portland

I thought it was blown right there.
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 9:31 am

If you can't get blown in Portland, you can't get blown.
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 9:34 am

I thought it was blown right there.

True.

I think I'm just gonna go real early to a local one. I'll have my iphone fully charged and a book to read,

Anybody want to meet me up there? We can just have a nice chat?
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 5:16 pm

summer round sycamore view isn't so bad, don't worry too much about blowing your cover, I have only one gb name but outside the Ethernet is where people get confused ;)
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 9:46 am

I think I'm just gonna go real early to a local one. I'll have my iphone fully charged and a book to read,

Don't count on it. Several years ago I had to go up there and still be at work by 9:00. I decided to go early to be first in line. I got there at 7:30 and was about 40th. After several more attempts, moving up the time I arrived a little each time, I finally showed up at a little before 6:00 AM to be 8th in line. I still barely made it to work by 9:00.

If you go in town you're gonna have to wait. If you go somewhere out of town you're going to have to drive for an hour instead of wait. It's all gonna end up bing about the same no matter what you do.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 9:51 am

there's a new one on walnut grove behind the library... dunno if you can get a brand new license there but i did a renewal with a new photo (and a change of address) and it took under an hour. i was shocked at how organized it was, compared to the cattle call on summer ave.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:39 am

Went to the Walnut Grove one around 9ish. I was there about an hour. Was told it would be $28 but got charged $12.50. Thought, from the webpage, I'd have to take a knowledge test but didn't have too. It was the DMV so it sucked but not as bad as I've experienced in other cities/states.

They definitely had their shit pretty well organized.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 5:38 pm

driver's license renewals are pretty easy there too. They let you skip ahead in line if you want to use the automated system with a credit card.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 11:13 am

I was under the impression that renewals were available online these days?

One thing that I found odd, my new license expires in two years. Kristin, who got her's soon after we moved here, got one that expires after mine does?
Posted: Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm

BEST DAY EVER FOR AUTO INSPECTION!

Drive up & got served at Washington... wait time ZERO. Yeah they stuck a cable down there to check my computer... jeezus. Passed, but still against it.

Clerks orifice of course CLOSED.
Posted: Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

if you want to keep your old license you could always say you lost it and apply for a TN license. Bring the standard BC/passport/ss card/proof of address and see what happens.

MI just clipped the corner off my TN one and let me keep it.
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:50 pm

I was under the impression that renewals were available online these days?

One thing that I found odd, my new license expires in two years. Kristin, who got her's soon after we moved here, got one that expires after mine does?

Unless you need a new picture..I think every ten years on your birthday.

Eric, I agree that the new testing system is a bit invasive. Its like the DMV was jealous of TSA's patdowns. Aren't newer car exempt now?
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 9:04 am

yeah, I think it's models from the last 3 or 4 years are exempt. Not really sure what they do with the results from your computer... maybe they test your emissions afterwards? A "check engine" report from a computer does not harm the environment.
Posted: Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Helped a friend unload / trailer his motorcycle for the driver's test today. Time spent riding - almost a minute. Time spent dicking around waiting - about three hours.
Posted: Apr 27, 2012 11:46 am

For inspections, the new one at Appling rules. There's never a line, even at the end of the month because no one knows where it is.
Posted: Apr 27, 2012 6:48 pm

i do, it rules, twice i've been there and was the only car
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®