Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Sin City Scoundrels... Do you know us?
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 10:00 am

We've played with VI, Whose Army?, Jocephus GJM, Gunslingers, El Dorado & Ruckus, and countless metal bands that I doubt you Goner guys care about.

We play the Reedmeisters, the Bucc, Murphy's, Poplar Lounge, mainly, although we've done HardRock, Neil's, Kudzu's too.

We play proto-punk/rockabilly, although we're not particularly country. We do make fun of rednecks in mimicry, however.

We've been together for almost a year, soooo.... do you know us?
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 1:38 pm

No.
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 6:25 pm

nope, also who are VI?
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 10:32 pm

Are you seeking validation? Probably picked the wrong place to find some of that.
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 10:48 pm

We play proto-punk/rockabilly

they, obviously, do not need vaidation
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 11:32 pm

What they need is a better name. That name is terrible. It evokes the image of itself in West Coast Chopper font, emblazoned on the back of Guy Fieri's sweat-stained bowling shirt.
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 11:48 pm

you mean like a proto punk/rockabilly band?
Posted: Oct 9, 2010 12:58 am

We played with you but I don't know you. How'd that happen?

who are VI?
Exactly.
Posted: Oct 9, 2010 12:19 pm

who are VI?
I used to think I knew, because I signed up for their fan club, but, since I never got a reply, I think they don't really exist.

Does Sin City really exist? Isn't that from some kiwi band's song? If you add "Scoundrels" to the end of "Sin City", isn't that redundant?
Posted: Oct 9, 2010 5:54 pm

Does Sin City really exist?

it'll swallow you in
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 11:59 am

I assume alcohol was probably involved. It normally is.

I'm normally too busy setting up drums/etc to socialize. I think we're one of the few bands that has an acoustic fretless bass that DOESN'T have an upright (it's a logistical thing). Also, if we set up the show, a guy named Robbie probably paid you, so you may remember him and not me.

What they need is a better name. That name is terrible. It evokes the image of itself in West Coast Chopper font, emblazoned on the back of Guy Fieri's sweat-stained bowling shirt.
The guys from Velvet Transit thought it was cool... >:[

I'm still rooting for "Rockin' Robbie and the Unfortunate Rhythm Section" but Robbie hates that one because it points out that he mainly joined up after me and John Fayette had been working together for two years in an improv thrash/punk/grind band called Endless Nameless with Lucky Donahoo doing vocals.

Me and Jon started calling ourselves "The Unfortunate Rhythm Section" privately after dealing with countless hordes of trash talking metal wannabes with no work ethic and huge egos.

Also, please consider we're all old Rally Point people and we got our start as a band playing bars Doc owned like House of Thor.

I've been knocking around the hardcore scene for years, never pompous enough for metal, never straightlaced enough for jazz, and too intense for country. It took me forever to get together a lineup of people who are both talented AND cool, and I've been in enough crappy bands to know how much more important cool is than technicality, although I personally find technicality to be the fun part.
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 11:37 pm

I think we're one of the few bands that has an acoustic fretless bass that DOESN'T have an upright (it's a logistical thing).

we have both, and brother, it is a nitemare (logistically).
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 8:18 am

We did a show with the Psycho Devilles@Murphy's, and they were telling horror stories about having to strap "the stringed coffin" on top of the winnebago like a suitcase (or is that zoot-suit case?) AND THEN DRIVING UNDER A LOW OVER PASS.

The purchase of new equipment and a surplus of toothpicks was apparently involved.

On the brightside, the new upright had a brass strip installed on the right side so they could light it on fire while the bass player stood on top of it and thumped without charring the wood like they did at Hi-tone

Empty ass show, but having them soliciting us to open was a big compliment.
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Ain't nothing we love more in Memphis than a band with a guy who stands on his upright bass!
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm

who are VI?
I used to think I knew, because I signed up for their fan club, but, since I never got a reply, I think they don't really exist.

Going out tonight (for the second time). Bought a box today and everything.

I assume alcohol was probably involved. It normally is.

I almost got into a fight with one of your fans. He and his girlfriend thought it was funny when drunks are yelling "HOORAY!" at bands instead of clapping. My guess is, they frequent Newby's. I actually dug your bass player.
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 10:56 am

I almost got into a fight with one of your fans. He and his girlfriend thought it was funny when drunks are yelling "HOORAY!" at bands instead of clapping. My guess is, they frequent Newby's. I actually dug your bass player.

Jon Fayette is one of the most understated virtuoso multiple instrumentalists I've ever met. He's a classically trained trumpetist, classical/acoustic guitarist, banjo, and mandolin player. He only started playing bass three years ago, if you can believe that.

The funny thing is that he NEVER TALKS ABOUT THIS. For a long time he refused to play guitar around Robbie, because he didn't want to seem like a jerk. HE'S THAT GOOD.

I bascially hit the lottery with that guy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®