Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Musicians' Input Needed
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 2:11 pm

To both local and traveling musicians, The Memphis Music Magnet Project is currently looking at repurposing a derelict warehouse located in Soulsville to serve as a hub for musician interaction and as a stimulus for neighborhood revitalization. We would like your input on what types of space to include and what functions the warehouse should serve for the music community. If you were creating this space, what resources and amenities would you include i.e. recording studio, rehearsal and performance space, computer lab, equipment storage, healthcare outreach, hostels for traveling musicians?

What types of resources and amenities would attract you personally to utalize the repurposed warehouse?

If your interested in reading more about the Memphis Music Magnet Project, check out the website or look us up on facebook!

Thanks for your input!

www.memphismusicmagnet.org
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 5:25 pm

While I certainly have no problems with you re-purposing a building near Stax to be some sort of resource for musicians, I'd like to point out that Memphis already has a lot of the ameneties you describe, and many of them have difficulty making ends meet as it is.

My initial question is:
How much money will I be required to pay as a tax payer to put myself out of business?

I'm also concerned with the quote "The Memphis Music Magnet concept was born in the classroom and has grown through a series of conversations with local musicians, industry representatives, neighborhood residents, and institutional partners."
I am begining to believe there may be more "committees" about Memphis Music than there are musicians.

I'll tell you one place Memphis could improve. Go back to UofM and kill that crappy jazz station. Memphis desperately needs a college radio format, somebody just needs to explain it to the alumni or program director or whoever it is in charge of that crap.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 8:39 am

From what i've read and heard about it, seems like a win-win for the community and especailly soulsville. It's an area where commercial properties are being snatched up and renovated for new businesses, and having a music/arts center can't be anything but good for the area.

Recording Studio where artist/future engineers can craft their skills and where bands who may not be able to afford other studio space can record seems pretty attractive, and the fact that there are several rehearsel studios planned for the space is a plus, too.

hostel for musicians? i'm pretty sure people traveling in a van for weeks on end would much rather have a bed than sleeping on an air mattress on a friends floor, if even for one night. Just sayin'
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 9:02 am

hostel for musicians? i
at least shower facilities

internet access

database for booking, promo and other biz shitz

I am beginning to believe there may be more "committees" about Memphis Music than there are musicians.
yep....not to be snarky, but it is a puzzler trying to define just what resources are actually valuable to musicians (not just valuable to music business types) Really, if ya'll just want to give us money for playing music, that would be cool, er... nevermind.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 9:08 am

from grazing the site:
"home ownership incentives and housing programs for musicians"

I will take a house!

really, best of luck. Always glad to see some positivity in town.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 12:27 pm

hostel for musicians? i
party bus from there to midtown for goner fest week
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 3:41 pm

Go back to UofM and kill that crappy jazz station. Memphis desperately needs a college radio format, somebody just needs to explain it to the alumni or program director or whoever it is in charge of that crap.

Having served on a governing board of a college radio station that operated free from that npr and syndicated programing crap, I can tell you it takes a lot of money to run a college radio station (as I'm sure you would've guessed). It's probably easier, financially, to pitch a pledge drive to a bunch of npr-lovin' d-bag yuppies than to convince a bunch of moneyless students/dirtbags to give what's proportionally a larger part of their disposable income to programming they will most likely find hit-or-miss.

Local musicians need better publicity outlets, don't know if a radio station is the best solution. Plugging Murphy's or Buc shows on campus is a crap shoot because only seniors and select juniors can legally attend.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:49 pm

whats the contact info?
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:55 pm

Also, provide a steady full-time job for Abe.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 5:41 pm

Scrap the project and send all the funding to Rocket Science Audio.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 7:27 am

Another problem solved by Luke Warm!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®