Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / the local scence part deux
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey hopefully this won't get uncivil! I've been in town for about a year now. Been to 1.5 gonerfests and seen some great shit. But when I first joined the board, I lamented the fact that the local media doesn't give very in depth coverage of local music compared to previous places that I called home. In order to find out about stuff, I actually have to get my butt off the office chair, go out, spend money, stay up late, etc., but I'm an old man who isn't yet in a band. Random shows is a crap shoot. Did I mention that I'm old?

So what are some bands in town that don't get the media attention of Goner acts/Lucero/etc that you are in to? What do they sound like? How often do they play around town? What about them is jamtacular?
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

fucktard can't spell scene
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Modern Convenience / Antique Curtains - not a sing-along band, loud, interesting.
Richard James &... - usually 3 piece, bassndrums propel, good singing
The Angel Sluts - absorbed the Drawls, stomping punk rock
Tanks - Memphis math rock
Hosoi Bros - Loud and proud
Evil Wizard Eyes - dearly missed

Secret Service doesn't seem to be around, but I loved 'em.
Check livefrommemphis for videos and such.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Check out "Snack Cake". they're halarious!
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 11:03 pm

i miss my MOUTH KARATE damnit!
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 7:29 am

Secret Service doesn't seem to be around, but I loved 'em.

ah, but they are playing hitone on halloween.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Compared to most cities I've lived in, local bands get excellent coverage. Even the Commercial Appeal provides coverage of local bands with limited mainstream appeal, and the Memphis Flyer acts provides detailed coverage with music reviews and features on Memphis underground related music.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Um, no. The flyer sucks in comparison to places with real weeklys. They like to talk big about Memphis music, but they only do 1 full write up a week which may or may not be a local. Their little paragraph on the local scene usually involves some shitty blues bands and old guys who once played a gig with the "great" Jim Dickinson.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Yeah, some cities have great coverage (like Athens and Detroit to give examples of places where I've lived) and others don't. I've found the cities with comprehensive weeklies to have tighter-knit scenes. You gotta do some leg work in this town, which is cool in a way. That's why I started this thread. Give me some more recommendations y'all!
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 3:43 am

Agreed w Wire's post.
Modern convenience got awesome outta nowhere.
Hosoi bros are really good at their thing.

Disagree w secret service bit as far as ever being something I'd tell anybody to checkout for any reason.

As far as Lucero....its closer to community theater than local music scene but kinda cool how grassroots/cultish their following is
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 10:08 am | Edited by: sixelsix

Um, no. The flyer sucks in comparison to places with real weeklys. They like to talk big about Memphis music, but they only do 1 full write up a week which may or may not be a local. Their little paragraph on the local scene usually involves some shitty blues bands and old guys who once played a gig with the "great" Jim Dickinson.

Though I resemble the last categorization, there is some truth to this.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 2:41 pm

Their little paragraph on the local scene usually involves some shitty blues bands and old guys who once played a gig with the "great" Jim Dickinson.

That P&H Cafe crowd is a much larger demographic and that's why they get all of those mentions. It's all about proportional coverage, and the Flyer does a good job for covering the type of bands that interest under 5000 people locally in a metro area of around a million.

Good on ya Rayultine for digging deeper. Memphis has one of the best music scenes anywhere, and it's easy to miss the better bands if you're not going out all the time, especially with pop-up shows and bands getting added to bills.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 4:33 pm

I think uptight white writes for the flyer. 9 times out of 10 the band playing the p&h is a shitty "touring" band that couldn't get a show down the street.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 3:02 am

That P&H Cafe crowd is a much larger demographic

i guess the demographic there is 5-6 art school girls and a hundred or so old dudes creeping around them. the only thing i know about the music scene is emails from bands "hey, (insert local band name here), I really dig your sound. We got a spot open in (insert city name here) and have a hold on (insert venue name here)."
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm shure you could find all kinds of listings for local bands playing on Beale St.
Oh...did you mean "Underground"?
Those listings are usually right there on the front page of the Comercial Appeal.

It's "underground" in Memphis for one of two reasons,
sometimes both. The band sounds like shit, and (or) they don't want abunch of "Frat-Boy (skins) Yahoo-Morons" fuckin' up their good time (Angel Sluts Shows).
Your stuck with trial and (mostly) error.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 8:40 pm

The point of this thread is for people to say some nice words about local music that they personally like. You like Memphis music, right misslinda?
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 8:49 pm

good time (Angel Sluts Shows)

sounds to me like this is an endorsement from misslinda.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 10:03 pm

You like Memphis music, right misslinda?

Not that I've ever noticed.
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 8:31 am

That last one...The Crime...will only play one more time...on 11/27...then we will shoot the horse in the head....I thought it was already dead but it got back up again for the reunion of the place formerly known as The Well.

You may have better luck with this if you like 60's British Invasion music
http://www.jeffreyandthepacemakers.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jeffreyandthepacemakers

and on rare occasions this
http://www.myspace.com/theeverydayparade
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 9:45 am

RIP Clanky's Nub
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 2:21 pm

You like Memphis music, right misslinda?

Elvis
Metro Waste
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 2:23 pm

The point of this thread is for people to say some nice words about local music that they personally like.

WHAT?!?
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 3:41 pm

The point of this thread is for people to say some nice words about local music that they personally like.

WHAT?!?

Not sure if you have an adequate grasp of the English language, but if you make another attempt at parsing my original post, you'll see that is exactly what I was trying to say.

misslinda, your incessantly bad attitude puts you in one of three categories:
1) someone who is so insecure about your place (or lack thereof) in the local music scene that you go out of your way to trash any exuberant threads on this board
2) you are so self-important that you don't think anything else is good. Sadly, indifference is just the other side of the hipster elitist coin.
3) you are an internet troll that gets overfed on this board.

Why is it so difficult to talk about good stuff in Memphis? When I hear new music that I like, I go out of my way to tell my friends about it. Does it help you sleep at night to keep it a secret?
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 4:11 pm

bwahahaha!
aw, now. I'd rather take it as a compliment if misslinda were to chime in on a post.

Sticky Icky Icky compiled a right fine list to start with, unless you're familiar with those bands.

If you still feel like you're in unchartered territory, and you're the adventurous sort, check out gonerfest, crunkfest, antennae club reunions, june 16th celebrations, mexican night clubs, church health center musician-led fundraisers. I've seen fun acts from all of these sorts of events, I just don't blog about it. The secret is out!
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 5:04 pm

yes definitely. To the people in this thread who don't roll out of bed and snort a huge line of crabby, thank you very much!
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 6:18 pm

miss linda snorts crabby, it's true!!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:21 am

Not sure if you have an adequate grasp of the English language

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:17 am

Sticky Icky Icky compiled a right fine list to start with, unless you're familiar with those bands.

ha! memphis loves and rewards mediocrity more than anyplace i've ever lived in my life.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 12:23 pm

memphis loves and rewards mediocrity more than anyplace i've ever lived in my life.

Don't shortchange Portland! NOTHING / NO ONE of any lasting excellence has ever come out of Portland. Unless you're counting the Dandy Warhols, who, I have to admit, are excellent. And all the suicide roller derby girl culture, which certainly is impressive.

Okay, Matt Groening.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 1:57 pm

Don't shortchange Portland!

Shipyard brewing, John Ford, Stephen King, Andrea Martin, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Judd Nelson, Liv Tyler, and Bebe Buell
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 5:04 pm

Stephen King

Portland, MAINE!
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 5:45 pm

duh!!!!!! what other one is there?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 5:45 pm

At what point did I mention Portland? I said ANY place I've lived.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 5:46 pm

a smattering from myspace, no particular order, don't even like some of 'em, just searched a bit on myspace. here ya go:

I feel like putting these in a particular order, 10 pt scale or "?" if I dont know.

www.myspace.com/southmemphisstringband - 5
www.myspace.com/killdewaynne - ?
www.myspace.com/jayreatard - 10
www.myspace.com/themagickids - 8
www.myspace.com/officialjackoblivian - 8
www.myspace.com/rivercitytanlines - 7
www.myspace.com/harlantbobo - 9
www.myspace.com/alkaponememphis - 5
www.myspace.com/thebaronoflove - ?
www.myspace.com/paultaylormemphis - 2.5
www.myspace.com/snowglobe - 3
www.myspace.com/amylavere - 2
www.myspace.com/thebarbaras - 10
www.myspace.com/lordtandeloise - 7
www.myspace.com/alvinyoungbloodhart - 2
www.myspace.com/thenewmaryjane - 6
www.myspace.com/johnpaulkeith - 5
www.myspace.com/thewarbles - 6
www.myspace.com/thewarble - same
www.myspace.com/evilarmy - 9
www.myspace.com/thecitychampsmusic - ?
www.myspace.com/limesrus - 9
www.myspace.com/thememphisgoons - 8
www.myspace.com/pezz69 - 4
www.myspace.com/hollycolememphis - 6
www.myspace.com/thebulletproofvestsattack - 7
www.myspace.com/twowayradiomemphis - 6
www.myspace.com/johnnylowebow - 6
www.myspace.com/thesubteens - 5
www.myspace.com/brokenstringmemphis - ?
www.myspace.com/thebokeys - 8
www.myspace.com/hielectric - 6
www.myspace.com/thecrimememphis - ?

I'm gona add:
Kruxe - 7
Star and Micey - 5
Bake Sale - 7
Sector Zero - 9
Richard on floor w banjitar 3 hours after TSOT show - 9.5
Glorie - 6
Noise Choir - 8
Blair Combest - 1.5
Jessica Jones - 8
Boston Chinks - 9
666 Mafia - 6
Saliva - 3
Neon Head - 9
MGMT - 5
Modern Convenience - 8
Teledildonics 5000 - 9
Family Ghost - 2
Vile Nation - 9
Frenchie! - 7
MC Homeless - 3
Girls of the Gravitron - 7.62mm
drugwars - 10+

not sure what these numbers mean
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 7:10 pm

At what point did I mention Portland?

why would you feel the need to mention Portland...this is a messageboard about Portland...it's inherent that's where you're typing about
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 8:37 pm

ha! memphis loves and rewards mediocrity more than anyplace i've ever lived in my life.

I was just trying to be nice, dude.
You must miss wherever you're from that's so much better.
Europe, probably.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 8:44 pm | Edited by: Cole

Every Mother's Nightmare- 5
Tora Tora-8
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 8:45 pm

let's all snort a line of crabby and meet back here in 10 minutes
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 9:00 pm

is crabby cheap out there?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 9:04 pm

we make our own
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:06 pm

Tora Tora-8

You totally have those backwards, man.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:14 pm

how is it that in a thread wherein someone is axing about bands that are "jamtacular" is this your first appearance, Mr Pack?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:28 pm

Tora Tora-8

You totally have those backwards, man.

No Way! EMN had one cheesy minor hit with "Love Can Make You Blind". I'll give you that they had more success, still they were hacks.

Tora Tora, was pretty badass when I was fifteen. "Phantom Rider" is awesome. The vocalist was a monster.

As a teen I remember going to Memphis and getting on Riverside Drive and playing that song. They were hair metal but they tottaly represented Memphis with their sound. I stand by Tora Tora.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:02 am

Tora Tora might have filmed their video at the New Daisy, but EMN drove their motorcycles onto the stage just to play the gig.

Neither of them are any match for TNA or Lord Tracy, however.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:12 am

your first appearance, Mr Pack?

Sadly, by '95 - '96, we had moved on from the large auditoriums and light extravaganzas to the coffee shops, then finally working our way down to the twice a week, three set residencies of mostly covers.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 10:30 am

TORA TORA!

Walkin Shoes!

Riverside Drive is also one of my faves....
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes! Thanks dtrain. Now for comparison....

What faggotry. I change my score to a 3.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 6:15 pm

http://www.myspace.com/emacssuxx 3 (except for Fri night at the Bucc...-12)
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 9:54 pm

Nice Athletico Spizz cover!
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 9:56 pm

I NEED CRABBY
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 11:26 pm

vi-ok, based on the fan club cd and the cool ass velcro that came with it, i gotta give 'em an 8. I haven't seem them live, so that score might plummet in the future, but i dig that cd.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 11:34 pm

Nice Athletico Spizz cover!

Nice. I love vi's version, and I knew it was a cover, but I had no idea who did the original.

another problem solved by dtrain

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:00 am | Edited by: misslinda

1) someone who is so insecure about your place (or lack thereof) in the local music scene that you go out of your way to trash any exuberant threads on this board
2) you are so self-important that you don't think anything else is good. Sadly, indifference is just the other side of the hipster elitist coin.
3) you are an internet troll that gets overfed on this board.

Why is it so difficult to talk about good stuff in Memphis? When I hear new music that I like, I go out of my way to tell my friends about it. Does it help you sleep at night to keep it a secret?

Open up your ears you goddamn Jackass.
If you want to go see shitty bands go right ahead.
I couldn't care less about your stupid psycoanalysis, or your obvious terrible taste in music,
You fucking polyanna FAGGOT!
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:39 am

The Goddamn Jackasses
The Terrible Tastes In Music
and The Polyanna Faggots

all at Barksdale's Restaurant on Halloween
come on down!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 8:32 am

i will be in attendance dressed up as one of the crabs in misslinda's crotch
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 10:48 am

I knew it was a cover, but I had no idea who did the original.

theres a great version on URGH! A Music War.

I scored the 7inch in england a long time ago but it's real slow. not like the Urgh! version. Great tune.
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 11:40 am

i will be in attendance dressed up as one of the crabs in misslinda's crotch

Ray, you seem like a nice guy, but you are messing with something you cannot possibly hope to comprehend.
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 3:05 pm

robin,
are you still admin for this thing? can we change "Cole"s name?
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 3:24 pm

robin,
are you still admin for this thing? can we change "Cole"s name?

No! Don't! At Gonerfest I signed about 4 Girls of the Graviton albums and got numerous free drinks. It was awesome.
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 4:08 pm

christ
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 8:34 pm

TORA TORA!

Walkin Shoes!

Riverside Drive is also one of my faves....

No, No, NO!!!
But at least it's an attempt toward R-n-R.
I think I've been to 5 0r 6 of their shows since they began (peer pressure for 3) and only the first one was good.
Ballad Metal grates my nerves.
The last time I saw them the dude at the poplar lounge told me to "be quiet, or get kicked out" (before the band started).
I was with Mike Condon, so it was either walk, or shut the fuck up.
He thought it was funny.
Always remember your "heckler"!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 8:44 pm

AMEN!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®