Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Greenline..
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 7:40 am | Edited by: jerryd

.. anybody been on this yet?

Rode it yesterday and i have to say they did a pretty amazing job. Riding over the wolf river and through the cyprus trees was cool and the trail is shaded almost the whole way. And flat for those who don't like hills. Really flat. Hopefully they'll continue it the rest of the way past germantown road.

Nice mix of families( who were more than happy to move to the right when riding by) people walking dogs, and lots of cyclists.

Good job, Memphis.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 10:02 am

I have several times from Tillman to Shelby Farms and back. It fantastic and fast! My only problem is with the moms that like to push the double wide strollers, flanked by two more toddlers on push cars along with unleashed dogs...all of them completely inattentive to the surroundings. Its not a Nature Walk or a playground folks, there are cyclist hauling ass at 30 mph! Pay attention, keep to the right and all will be OK.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Skateboard reporter Jungle Jeff Green reports there are nice long downhill stretches that are perfect for longboarding, too... sounds great!
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Still haven't hit it, but excited about it; three blocks from my house!
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

its not meant to be a place for cyclist to haul ass at 30 mph. Thats fucking annoying.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 1:25 pm

ts not meant to be a place for cyclist to haul ass at 30 mph. Thats fucking annoying.

I totally agree! Just do some casual cycling and save the racing shit for the streets.

there are nice long downhill stretches

yes, there are. going back again today.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

there are nice long downhill stretches

yes, there are.

And flat for those who don't like hills. Really flat.

well, which is it?, or is it only downhills with no uphills?
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 1:48 pm

well, which is it?, or is it only downhills with no uphills?

long flat stretches. several slightly downhill stretches, that yes, bruce, would be uphill on the way back.

unless you're coming from shelby farms, and then it would be slight uphill and then downhill on the way back.

stop being a dick.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 1:57 pm

its not meant to be a place for cyclist to haul ass at 30 mph. Thats fucking annoying.

For real, fuck a cyclist. I'm gonna clothesline your unsuspecting ass.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Dont jump on me, im just the messenger. I never said I was hauling ass on the trail, but half of the people on bikes are, I see them every day. That's why people need to look out and not wear earbuds.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I believe pedestrians have right of way, with or without earbuds.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 5:40 pm

I wouldn't ride on an MUP, unless absolutely necessary. Too many people, animals, fruitbooters and other Freds to navigate around, but that's coming from someone who lives where there are tons of cyclists and good bike routes.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am

Ill just carry a stick and accidently stick that fucker in a $500 rear spoke as I slowly enjoy the Greenline at my leisure.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Ill just carry a stick and accidently stick that fucker in a $500 rear spoke as I slowly enjoy the Greenline at my leisure.

this.
although I'm wanting to get a cruiser so I can enjoy the Greenline at my leisure on 2 wheels & coaster brakes.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:31 pm

hey y'all. Where does the trail start on the west side of town? Want to ride some bikez
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Where does the trail start on the west side of town?

Tillman
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:41 pm

oh snap. perusal of internet helps. Here's a big ol' pic.
http://greatermemphisgreenline.org/Master-Plan-Large.jpg
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 9:54 am

That looks awesome. What's the Lucius Burch Natural Area like?
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 10:05 am

I cant wait till the Wolf River bottoms part is complete, I always wanted a paved trail down there. Do methed-out rednecks still hang out down there or did the city finally put and end to that? I remember an access point from the Covington Pike bridge.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 1:46 pm

no such thing as a paved trail. Trails are natural. Why do we have to pave everything? Those trails are fine as they are in the bottoms, except for where the mountainbikers and 4 wheelers have ruttedem up while riding in the mud.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 12:54 pm

A+ job, Memphis. hopped on at Tillman the other day and rode for a while.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 11:56 pm

Wanna see something awesome?
The guy I sit next to at work designed the new 200' pedestrian bridge that's going to go over the Wolf River (part of the Rails-2-Trails project). Anyways, it has been fabbed and assembled, completely, down on President's Island. They're going to cart it out to the Wolf River, just south of the Walnut Grove crossing, on Tuesday around 11 AM and place it in (2) 100 ton pick in, they hope, under an hour. My dept is going to go out there as a group to witness this. It's going to be nuts. They've got two humongous cranes, one on each bank, that are going to make each side meet up, over the river, fully assembled -then some dude is going to go out there and bolt it together.

For the morbidly curious, they're "hoping" the bank is stable enough to take the cranes (although, since it has been so dry, should be cool).

PS, the bridges are fitted out with Brazilian rain-forest wood (Ipe), and that shit does NOT float in water.
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 4:24 am

greenline's using brazilian forrest wood?

well we got part right :)
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 10:34 am

It'll be the biggest, fastest erection any of you are guaranteed to see all year!
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 4:01 pm

if i am awake im driving out there to watch!
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 6:02 pm

For the morbidly curious,"hoping" the bank is stable

this was one of my first concerns! pics, I hope!
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 7:18 pm

It'll be the biggest, fastest erection any of you are guaranteed to see all year!

Is that what you told the wife?
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 9:56 pm

Your wife.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 6:51 pm

Man, someone's going to get swiped hard on one of these intersections.
Coming home, at the Graham crossover, bike-helmeted spandex-and-oakleys douchebags crossing over like they've got some kind of entitlement and sneering at the rush-hour traffic and cars practically slamming into each other to keep from hitting them.
Motherfucker, you just learned about this trail two weeks ago. Got news for you, most folks in Memphis ain't heard of it yet and do not know that pedestrians have the right of way.
I live here, I know about it, I know to slow down. Good luck with the rest of the folks in New Spain.

P.S., bike helmets are for self-fisters.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 1:41 pm

you just learned about this trail two weeks ago.

Yeah, they're all "Portland" about it.

The erection was quite impressive. Don't know when the bridge will be finished but you can cross over on the steel at night. It's a hard hat zone so wear your jimmy hat.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®