Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / the local scene
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 5:09 am

I'm thinking about going to college in Memphis. I was wondering what the underground music scene is like there, punk rock and alternative particularly.
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 7:08 am

uhmm,
I'll have two country ham bisquits , shot of Hennessy and a pack of Magnums
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 8:03 am

That pretty much sums it up.
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 12:01 pm

There's an entire internet bulletin board dedicated to rock n roll in this town. What does your intuition tell you?
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

as you can see, it's a warm, friendly town.
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm

lordy.
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 5:03 pm

It's cheap to live here. I hope you have a car though.

A bike would probably suffice.
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm thinking about going to college in Memphis. I was wondering what the underground music scene is like there, punk rock and alternative particularly.

in the "underground" thing here (us that dont have the energy or ambition or reason to beg the appeal of commerce or flyer for attention or leave demos under ardent's door) theres some interesting stuff happening.

indierock scene is gahdawful - sustained by folks banking on the fact memphians are slower to catchon to whatever pitchfork or paste is listening to and won't realize how accurately they ripoff whatsoever has been popular on a national level for the previous 6 weeks.

WEVL has some good shows: chick habit, JB's thing, Bucky's thing

yeh so, drink 15 or so beers, take a listen to The Barbaras, The Limes, Sector Zero, Useless Eaters, The Oscars, The Persuaders, and you'll figure out if you need to be here.
Posted: Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

There's an entire internet bulletin board dedicated to rock n roll in this town.

Where?
Posted: Sep 24, 2010 2:21 pm

There's an entire internet bulletin board dedicated to rock n roll in this town.

Where?

Yer lookin at it
Posted: Sep 25, 2010 2:53 am

Where?

Yer lookin at it

it's inside the computer?
Posted: Sep 26, 2010 12:09 pm

PS. Mr. Disciple, you just missed "Gonerfest", check out banner ad at top of board.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 2:38 pm | Edited by: misslinda

Good luck with the "Punk Rock" search.
"vi" and "Hedgecreep" is the closest you'll get in Memphis.
The rest is either someone being weird for weird's sake, or trying to "fit in" by sounding like the Oblivians.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 2:41 pm

"Garage Rock" has a different meaning in Memphis.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 8:02 pm

PS make sure you've got a convincing fake ID.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®