Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Ian Mackaye
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Ian MacKaye is coming to the Brooks. I'm pretty sure my Minor Threat t-shirt is still in a box somewhere at my mom's house.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Sorry, i didn't see the topic further down the list.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 8:48 pm

I like this thread better.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey!
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

tickets are moving fast for this -- only $5!
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:57 am

only $5!
of course
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 4:46 pm

cheaper than John Paul Keith!
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 3:10 pm

cheaper than John Paul Keith!

that's funny!
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 3:52 pm

Ian gives props to Goner in this week's Memphis Flyer!
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 4:57 pm

tomorrow night!
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 9:13 pm

I really wish I could go to this.
Posted: Sep 17, 2010 6:45 am

thanks, everybody for coming out!
Posted: Sep 17, 2010 5:16 pm

That good, huh?
Posted: Sep 17, 2010 7:17 pm

That good, huh?

I enjoyed it. I am much more interested in his music than his personal beliefs, but he was much less didactic than I expected. He's a great speaker and even when I didn't agree with everything he said, it was engaging. The guy has made some incredible music over the years and he's obviously very smart. I definitely couldn't speak intelligently for 90 minutes about high school teachers, 9/11 and Al Jourgensen.

Eddy Current Suppression Ring got a nice plug, including a mention that seeing ECSR in Philadelphia recently was the first time he had traveled out of town to see a show since 1981. Cool!

One girl asked him why he decided to get out of music, even though he hasn't, and he was extremely nice about it. I half-expected him to berate the entire room for the question, but he didn't. He seemed like a cool guy.

I'm glad I went.
Posted: Sep 18, 2010 2:54 am

but he was much less didactic than I expected.

The earlier Ian Mackeye thread was poking fun of that preconception. Met him once at the behest of someone that knew him well and he couldn't have been more friendly or accommodating less than a minute after getting offstage after a Fugazi gig.
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

from Swans bit in NY Times... a refreshingly negative approach to the hardcore scene from Michael Gira-

And though he credited some West Coast punk, he couldn't relate to the hardcore scene in New York at all. Hardcore, he said, was a "namby-pamby" genre. "It was just a way for people to belong," he said. "And that's the last thing I think people should do."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®