Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Celebrity sightings in Memphis
Posted: Aug 17, 2010 7:21 pm

I just read in USA today that John Melloncamp recorded part of his new album there. I know that they film a movie in Memphis every now and then. Any cool stories or sightings?
Posted: Aug 17, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm looking at Shawn Youngblood as we speak.
Posted: Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

THE Shawn Youngblood?
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Perhaps a trip to Goner records would rekindle his faith in the future of rock and roll.

http://digitalintermediates.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.j sp?id=1183587

I've run into Keith Richards and his security force a couple times in Memphis, and he mentioned that famous people like coming here not only because of the music history, but also because locals treat them like regular blokes most of the time when they do get recognized.
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 3:50 pm

we really do not care. Even about a star as luminous as Shawn Youngblood.

Did miss lauper do anything in town?
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Cut a terrible album and probably a lesbian or three.
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Eric has stories about being acosted by a tweakin' Billy Gibbons late at night in Kinko's. I'd say that qualifies as a cool story.
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Eric has stories about being acosted by a tweakin' Billy Gibbons late at night in Kinko's

Tell it!
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm

I think I just did.
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I think I just did.

Yeah, but there's alot of unanswered questions in your one sentence story.

Why was Billy at Kinko's? Why was he acosting Eric? Did he know who the Oblivians were? Was he wearing cheap sunglasses? How did Eric react to a tweaking Billy Gibbons?
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 10:59 pm

One time I was at the Hi-Tone and I smelled this awful fart smell, and I turned around and it was Jack White.
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 11:06 pm

One time I was at the Hi-Tone and I smelled this awful fart smell, and I turned around and it was Jack White.

See, that's the kind of shit I was hoping to get. Awesome.
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 11:21 pm

One time I was at the Hi-Tone and I smelled this awful fart smell, and I turned around and it was the mayor of dookieville.
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 7:33 am

One time I was at Bruce's house and I saw a picture of him and Joe Perry.
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 7:46 am

steve, steve perry
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 8:00 am

I thought it was Steve Harvey.
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 5:54 pm

steve, steve perry

You should've been gone!!!!!
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 5:56 pm

I once saw Fred Barry purchasing a box of twinkies at the old 7-Eleven off Getwell and Raines. Circa 1982
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Cut a terrible album and probably a lesbian or three.

Is she gay?
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 7:04 pm

todd demurs bought shoes from me once.
mike patton told my friend to guzzle some jizz to cure his heartburn when we were afterpartin at the daisy once.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 1:16 am

Partied with Dave Matthews.
HELLO!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 8:49 am

And even he thought you were a stupid fucking hippie.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am

Hello, Scott. Welcome back to HORSEYVILLE!
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 9:55 am

Partied with Dave Matthews.

Saw Mike Matthews watching himself on the news at Young Avenue Deli. Nice.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 10:47 am

banquet bartended at the peabody during college, saw or served several celebrities

Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf (sp?) - liked scotch, pretty nice dude
Nic Cage - seemed uneasy. had weird entourage. looks like he works out. a lot.
'Cilla Presley - goddamn what happened to your face?
Cuba Gooding Jr - really tiny. laughed when a clumsy barback (not me) accidentally almost poured cranberry juice all over him and his smokin hot date. tipped really well. A+ dude. shame about all those shitty movies.
Cybill Shepherd - kind of cunty and degrading - "Can I get a brandy alexander? (or something comparable). do you know how to make one of those??" yeah, bitch, I know how to make one of those.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 1:44 pm

nic cage wants to be elvis- im pretty sure that requires a weird entourage:)
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 1:48 pm

i saw arethra franklin down town at that big foot burger joint on second.she was eating the mammoth or bigfoot yetti burger and started choking on the whole pickle thats in it.as i began to cross the street to get a better look through the storefront window a samoan waiter began giving her the heimlich and she shot the pickle against the window.i thought about aquireing an autograph but my friend had a camera instead.wish i coulda photographed the entire scenario.i coulda believe it myself.
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 3:46 pm

That did not happen.
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 4:11 pm

I've seen Sambeaux's balls more times than I can count.
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 11:49 pm

It's difficult to avoid seeing a man's balls when you're trying to swab your lungs with his cock.
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 11:50 pm | Edited by: Scott

I would have preferred that that shot had been aimed at Bruce, Robin, or Tommy, but Joe stepped up to the plate.
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm

kieran culkin came in to my gf's place of work today and she was all "he looks like some boring hipster"
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 7:10 pm

who is that? honestly, i have no idea
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm | Edited by: Cole

kieran culkin

who is that? honestly, i have no idea

The dude from Home Alone's brother. I took one of my teens to see "Scott Pilgrim VS the World" and he was in it. He looked just like the Home Alone guy so I IMBDed the movie to check that out.
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 11:05 pm

isn't that caulkin
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 11:23 pm

isn't that caulkin

No, I'm pretty sure it's Culkin, but these damn hipsters change the spelling of their names just for the hell of it, so who knows.

What i find amusing is that asshole could win an Oscar and I would still refer to him " the dude from Home Alone's brother".
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 2:22 am

Is this what they're filming there? Or maybe he's just in town for Graceland or something. Either way, he should NOT be playing Rupert Pupkin, even if it's a different Rupert Pupkin. It's blasphemous as hell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803053/

One time I saw David Gest buying an economy-sized multi pack of toilet paper at the Poplar Plaza Kroger at like 10 PM. He had an assistant with him and kept talking loudly about how he "doesn't usually do this" (shopping for toilet paper? shopping at grocery stores?), and had a bagger help him find it, pay for it and carry it out to his car. His assistant just followed them around. Assistant, my ass.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 7:57 am

ha. i had to go to Gest's house one time to videotape some shoddy work by a contractor who was suing Gest for non-payment. that dude was fucking weird.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 11:46 am

I waited on him (Gest) one time downtown @ Cafe 61, what a douchebag bitch. Shitty tipper & high matinence.Bizarre over plucked eyebrows too. No wonder Liza beat his ass.
Also served Timberlake & Diaz @ Blue Fin. They were very nice people. They complimented me on my tattoos. Diaz is even more gorgeous in person.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 12:25 pm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001085/

pretty sure it's this one, since Emma Stone was spotted with him. My gf doesn't think Emma Stone is that hot in person, to which I replied "you are probably fucking crazy."
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:54 am

I pissed beside the old black guy who would sing old man river every year, i asked him to hum a few bars. i was shiity fucked up
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:56 am

oh oh I also saw Rufus Thomas on Beale early on morning , no funky chxn
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 2:51 pm

Oh yeah, I also watched Woody Harelson take a piss while I was in the unisex bathrooms at the old Amnesia club. He stuck around longer than I expected given all the queens pawing at him. My ex-husband won the amateur strip contest that night & $60. Woot! Woot!
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 2:34 pm

oh oh I also saw Rufus Thomas on Beale early on morning , no funky chxn

I used to work at a bar on Beale Street and Rufus and his wife used to come in all the time, sit at a table for forever and order unsweet tea. One time I thought he was grabbing my ass but he was just grabbing my bar towel out of my back pocket to clean up the tea he'd knocked over. Very sweet old man.

I also helped Carla Thomas string beads sometimes at a crappy bead store job I had. She was equally nice, but always put the necklaces she'd made on layaway and never paid for them. It was weird cos I'm sure the manager would have just been like, "OMG, you're Carla Thomas, just take the necklaces already."
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 7:43 pm

Saw Shirley Hemphill at the Mazzios in Millington back in '99. Think she passed a week later.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®