Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / World Famous Poplar Lounge, tonight! Beer Bust, records, dancing
Posted: May 27, 2010 9:03 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

no cover...the good stuff from the 50s, 60s, and 70s...10ish to 3ish...patio, kick ass PA, cold beer. What could be better on a Thursday night?
Posted: May 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Crescent wrenches optional?
Posted: May 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Who has the bar?
Posted: May 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Crescent wrenches are in as far as fashion accessories go now days. It just hasn't hit midtown yet. Binghamton is headed this way!
Posted: May 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Crescent wrenches are in as far as fashion accessories go now days

Great. Now all the hip kids will have a hankerchief in one pocket and a crescent wrench in the other.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:23 pm

You can tell, you know, by what pocket the wrench is in.
Posted: May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

If it's in the "center pocket" they're gay.
Posted: May 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Crescent wrenches are in as far as fashion accessories go now days. It just hasn't hit midtown yet. Binghamton is headed this way!

Fashion is for fags.

Bandanas are for fruitcakes.
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:55 pm

no wrench carryin' door gorilla...and plenty of cheap cold beer and loud dancin' and listenin' records...10ish to 3ish...free! All you can guzzle for $5...this Thursday!
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 4:41 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Door guy is back...so if the big mean man scares you then stay away...it will be better for both of us. Thieves will be beaten and then laughed at. Thanks goners for all the support you have shown the poplar lounge. If you like great records, beer and dancing with girls come on out. It's free!
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 6:47 pm

I think its awesome y'all haven't had any problems out of this guy. On the other hand, BOTH times my band has played there we had issues. Last weekend Richard was immediately threatened when he got to the bar by this guy. HE told us we would be playing first no matter what (even though he wasn't supposed to be working the door that night.) He also admitted that he was the one who turned off the PA on us when we had played there before. There was no urgent reason for that. I guess he just doesn't like music that doesn't sound like the classic rock he plays on the jukebox (which is fine). I was really excited about having a new place to play on a regular basis, but if it ain't fun I don't wanna be there. I'm happy its workin out for the dj nights but it sucks for bands.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 6:52 pm

Fuck it. There is no place better than the Bucc anyway.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 7:12 pm

No biggie... We have never really been a hit with the goner crowd anyway. We don't kiss ass and don't really give a fuck if a certain clique doesn't come....will that hurt attendance? Undoubtedly. But Andrew and I wouldn't expect any solidarity from goners if our shows got messed up, so we feel no need to offer any.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 7:46 pm

We don't kiss ass and don't really give a fuck if a certain clique doesn't come....

Here's me not kissing your ass: you are a douche.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 8:00 pm

Woe, strong words...I'm so hurt.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 8:24 pm

No biggie... We have never really been a hit with the goner crowd anyway. We don't kiss ass and don't really give a fuck if a certain clique doesn't come....will that hurt attendance? Undoubtedly. But Andrew and I wouldn't expect any solidarity from goners if our shows got messed up, so we feel no need to offer any.

you know i always really thought you were a great dude, but after reading this i understand why matt muscle wanted to kick your ass.

i dont think this was a personal issue with you and your dj nights, its a shame you turned it into one...
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for uninviting me.
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 5:52 pm

Poplar lounge sux.
The room sounds bad,
the pepole are stupid
there's nowhere to sit except outside
the door guy's a control freak
they don't sell liquor, and soforth........

I could go on.

Fuck those goddamn redneck cokeheads.
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 12:06 am

Hi, I go to places to drink beer, keep to myself, and listen to good music. Therefore I have enjoyed what Buck Wilders and Vinyl Ritchie are doing at Poplar Lounge. Glad y'all aren't there to harsh my mellow.
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 2:34 pm

Thursdays are free for the entry beer bust five bucs, if there was a cover and if Nick was skimmin money off their door I'm sure they would understand that that's what most of the fuss(atleast with me) is about- I just don't know why he insists on taking the money - and no one the band wants to do it is allowed, and taking said door money to the bar, why would any door cover for an out of town band need to pass through two other ppls hands before it makes it to the band?
anyway Nick has been real rude and nice (?) to me on many occassions

alas I have went the past two Thursday and it's a swell time listening to their records
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 2:48 pm

We have never really been a hit with the goner crowd anyway.

I know how you feel, they don't show up for our shows either.
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 2:49 pm

PS. Neither do our wives/girlfriends.

PPS. Could some one point me to the source of some alleged complaints by one Walter Hughes, regarding the changes at the Poplar Lounge?
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 2:54 pm

PPPS. Why are you guys defending this guy? He's a dick.
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 3:07 pm | Edited by: bruce

We have never really been a hit with the goner crowd anyway.

I know how you feel, they don't show up for our shows either.

that crowd don't like no one, neither does that crowd!!@!
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 6:49 pm

Ya know, Eric, if you ever went out to any "Goner" shows you'd know that there are about as many Goners at your DJ nights as there are anywhere else on any given week night.
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 7:49 pm

i try to when i can!
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 7:54 pm

sambeaux :
Walter Samuel Hughes: is VERY saddened to see the Poplar Lounge being turned into a playground for retards who can't even play. By the way, the Tanlines rocked; I'm actually referring to the band that opened for them.

May 29 at 11:04pm

_i guess walter thinks he's a musical genius._

Steve: there is more than one opinion on music..i booked that show.the bar was full..booze was sold ..the lounge can stay open another day..the week before the band canceled the bar was empty things were sad..sometimes support for each other transcends which notes you think someone should be noodling...the tanlines asked the first band with them, due to ... See Morethe way self appointed bar representatives treated the show the tanlines probably won't come back....i will continue to try to make money for the bar i work for and myself...bills have got to be paid...do people get that emotional about your shows???who knows maybe the true sons are on to something..music affects people.. be strong...love steve
Yesterday at 1:05pm.Steve Wacaster i'm open to anything..if you know an awesome band you want to see there let me know...when i started at the lounge nobody was coming in...no shows were booked...i'm working on my off time without pay to try to get people to come there...
Yesterday at 1:17pm
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 7:49 pm

All of you can go to the poplar lounge and STAY THERE!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®