Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Spring break free day zoo clusterfuck!!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I've lived in Midtown a LONG time, and I have NEVER seen anything like the scene at Poplar and McLean...and blocks and blocks east...tonight at 6:15 p.m. AND, I was talking to my friend with children and she brought it up and said it was exactly the same at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Cops directing traffic both at McLean and Poplar and Morrison and Poplar. Seriously, HUNDREDS...maybe thousands of kids leaving the zoo. It took me ten minutes...ten minutes!...to get from the SE corner of Poplar and McLean to the HiTone!

Sorry to go all nuts...but DAYUM!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 8:33 pm

I was talking to my friend with children and she brought it up and said it was exactly the same at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Cops directing traffic both at McLean and Poplar and Morrison and Poplar.

It was weird.

Poplar @ E.Parkway was congested also. I had to make a Union detour because of 2 wrecks on East Parkway.
The Zoo is never fun with that many screaming children.
The fact that it's free does not compensate.
AT ALL!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

It was not screaming children. It was teenagers (unsupervised) with guns, attitudes and bags of hot cheetos! They totally trashed the park after leaving the zoo. I run almost everyday in that park and it is fucked up.

I go to the zoo fairly often, and I'll take kids over teens any day.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Oh lord...lead news on Fox at 9. There were fights and shots fired! KEERIST!

"No one was hurt, but his upscale community took a hit."
LORDY!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

It was not screaming children. It was teenagers (unsupervised) with guns, attitudes and bags of hot cheetos!

That's exactly what it looked like on the street!
I won't even get into the mother in the SE turning lane off McLean onto Popar that sat there for three lights talking to her kids on the cell phone, I assume, to meet her there. I was right behind her for those lights, and we only got to move when six teenage kids came and piled in her van. I honked at her...to no avail!

Everyday that goes by convinces me more and more that people these days are NUTS!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Joey Sulipek just made a comment about the congestion on the news.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:19 pm

I go to the zoo fairly often, and I'll take kids over teens any day.

I agree.

I always hated teenagers. Especially when I was one.

YUK
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:27 pm | Edited by: Cole

I have a teen who wants me take him to see Limp Bizket on April 30th. Teens do suck.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

It was teenagers (unsupervised) with guns, attitudes and bags of hot cheetos!

That brings up a really funny image. Gangster kids with cheesy fingers flipping old ladies the bird.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 11:20 pm

it was not funny
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 1:16 am | Edited by: eric o

"Pay What You Can" Day at the Brooks Museum Wednesday! Let's do it again!
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 7:51 am

I ain't paying nuthin'
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:12 am

"Pay What You Can" Day at the Brooks Museum Wednesday! Let's do it again!

bring your own Cheetos
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm | Edited by: misslinda

Channel 13 news has a section on their website to comment on what should be done about yesterday's zoo problem!

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm hoping to read something about turning the pyramid into a juvinile detention center.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:25 pm

some excellent advise indeed in the comments section below that article....

FIERY CHEETOS at the Brushmark! See ya there!
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

I saw your comment.

That whole comment section was entertaining.
Now I don't feel so bad about my spelling.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm

get rid of the free days! if you can't afford the cheap-ass yearly zoo pass for your kids, you are making some poor life choices.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm

get rid of the free days! if you can't afford the cheap-ass yearly zoo pass for your kids, you are making some poor life choices.

a lot of schools, day care places, treatement centers, etc utilize the free days to give their kids outings and field trips...
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:58 pm

This shit's gonna happen EVERY Tuesday? Can we create some sort of overpass on N pkwy? oh wait...
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 3:07 pm

From the CA -

The Memphis Zoo will revise how it manages free Tuesdays before the next free day, a response to overcrowding and trouble this week in and outside the zoo.

Changes could include a limit on the number of people admitted and policies to keep teens from using the zoo as a hangout, said Chuck Brady, zoo president and CEO.

The zoo's contract with the city requires that there be a period for free admissions, so free Tuesdays, after 2 p.m. for Tennessee residents, won't go away, Brady said

Poll - B has 71% right now (but I think they all would be good moves)

What action should the Memphis Zoo take to prevent the problems that occurred Tuesday on free-admission day from happening again?

A. Limit the number of people admitted on free day.
B. Prohibit juveniles from going to the zoo without adult supervision.
C. Expand the free hours to avoid congestion.
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 5:02 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis

The zoo turned into a zoo. Anytime you interject the word "free" into something like this in Memphis expect chaos. Hahaha. Where's Tarzan when you need him?
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 5:21 pm

i think B sounds good. limiting the number of people will only make people crowd in early and cause a clusterfuck at the beginning of the day. expanding hours would help, but i doubt it would avoid any kind of congestion because the kids would just stay longer. a longer opportunity for the zoo to be a free babysitter. :P

if they required adult supervision, 90 percent of those kids wouldn't be able to come on in. they just get dropped off now and it overloads the resources. it's the same thing with the main library too. people drop their kids off there and they act like hooligans and disrespect the property because it's essentially "free daycare".
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 6:41 pm

The Zoo wouldn't have this problem if free day was for whites only.
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 3:43 pm

a lot of schools, day care places, treatement centers, etc utilize the free days to give their kids outings and field trips...

mcs=gangstas.
day care=gangstas in training.
treatment centers=junkies.

no thanks.
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 3:56 pm

Memphis Zoo Announces Revised Admission Policies

MEMPHIS, TENN. The Memphis Zoo today announced revised admission policies that are aimed at the Zoo's ever growing attendance. "Our top priority is the safety of our guests, Zoo staff and animals," said Dr. Chuck Brady, Zoo president and CEO. "We are committed to providing Zoo visitors with an educational, fun and safe experience."

The Zoo will continue to allow free general admission on Tuesday afternoons after 2 p.m., commonly known as Free Tuesday. Many revisions to the Zoo's policy affect the Free Tuesday program. Those changes include discontinuing the Free Tuesday program during the month of March and managing the admittance of minors into the Zoo. Effective April 6, 2010 people planning to visit the Zoo during Free Tuesday hours will be required to adhere to the following policies:

* - The Memphis Zoo allows free general admission to Tennessee residents on Tuesday afternoons from 2 p.m. to close.
* - Persons ages 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult ages 21 or older.
* - Adults ages 21 and older may accompany up to five children ages 16 and under.
* - Photo ID with proof of age and TN residency are required for free admittance. Current college or military photo ID will be accepted.
* - Free Tuesdays will not be held during the month of March.

"The Zoo is committed to the Free Tuesday program as a way to provide access to all segments of our community," said Dr. Brady. "This program and its participants will benefit from the new guidelines put in place. A visit during Free Tuesday should be just as enriching and enjoyable as a visit on any other day." A new policy in effect every day is an overall cap on the number of visitors inside the Zoo. Revised general admission policies will apply every day of Zoo operation:

* - The Zoo's capacity is 10,000 people inside the park at any one time. Once capacity is reached, admission to the Zoo will not be permitted.
* - The Memphis Zoo reserves the right to refuse or permit admission at its discretion.

Memphis Zoo officials have shared its new admission policies with Memphis Mayor AC Wharton's office and Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin. The Zoo will partner with the Memphis Police Department and provide them with alerts during large attendance days so the police can plan for appropriate crowd and traffic control. These high-attendance alerts will also be made public on the Zoo's Web site, the Zoo's Twitter and Facebook pages, by phone and on signage around the perimeter of Overton Park. The revised admission policies are in addition to the Zoo rules that it requires visitors to observe:

* - The Zoo does not allow balloons, glass containers, alcohol, weapons, bicycles, rollerblades, skates or the popular roller shoes, Heely's, on its property. Coolers and children's wagons are welcome
* - Appropriate dress for a family-friendly institution is required. Attire not permitted includes, but is not limited to, visible underwear and clothing that promotes or displays profanity, violence, drugs or alcohol or criminal activity.
* - Profane language, fighting, or any acts of violence are strictly prohibited.
* - Pets are not allowed inside the Zoo. Please make arrangements to board your animal before visiting.
* - To protect the health and safety of our animals and visitors, the Memphis Zoo is a smoke-free facility.
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 6:13 pm

They really need to add something about not parking rv's in the bus lane and running them for hours on end.
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 6:28 pm

Here's one solution to avoid the free Tuesday headaches at the zoo. Stop having free Tuesdays. Problem solved.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®