Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / The Invisible Border in Memphis
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

ever notice that bands that play Midtown never play Raleigh, or Downtown? Same with bands that play the Stagestop are never in Midtown/ downtown and same with downtown bands ..it seems each part of town thinks they are cooler than the other part...just an observation
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm

rednecks caint make no $$$ in midtown, & midtown bands face their mortality at the stagestop
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I dunno - I saw some Stage Stop foreign exchange band at Murphy's a year or so ago. They played, another and played, and the next night, they both played SS.
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

I'd play the stage stop,1st show if you want me in your band.

GLAM ROCK LOUDNESS!!!!!

i KNOW A VERY INTERESTED DRUMMER.

They're hard to find.
Fake hair, good looking,loves booze, 4 fast cars, loves the CRAMPS, ladies love him, let's start a satanic "Glam Band".
So what if "punks" don't like us?!?!?!
Punk died w/ DEE DEE anyway.
NO GONERFEST!!!!!!
I LIKE REAL ROCK-N-ROLL!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm | Edited by: Cole

let's start a satanic "Glam Band".

best idea ever. The look of enuff z nuff with the lyrics of venom.
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

shiny pants!
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 1:33 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I'm going to go ahead and say this, jkillin170.
Pretty sure I know who you are.
I think I've talked to you a time or two at a bar.
Seen your band a time or two.
I'm not going to speak for anyone but me.
I LOVE THE IDEA OF PLAYING OUT OF MIDTOWN.
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SHELBY COUNTIERS MIX IT UP WITH MIDTOWNERS "IN TOWN". BROUGHT IT UP A BUNCH.

But the reality is, most "outer-I-240" clubs require a "Promo Pak".
Fuck that, man. I mean, really?
Some of us just don't give a shit about "making it" in Shelby county, Little Rock or anywhere else.
Some people just like tunes and beer and friends.
If a record comes out, great!
I happen to know that your band is trying to "make it".
Not "dissing" it. Hope you go far.
We all love David Allen Coe, too.
Bring his ass to midtown.
I'll go to that show.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 2:29 am

Better yet,
What "midtown bands" would you like to see outside the beltway?
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:59 am

would love to play Stage Stop, as well. A bunch of bands have played Swanky's Taco Shop out East, but yeah, there's not a lot of crossover.

When the Complex was open (what is there now?), there were a bunch of East Memphis suburban hardcore / emo bands who would play there, complain about the security dudes beating 'em up, then head back to Cordova... but would never play anywhere else unless they got on a 10 band bill at the New Daisy.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:12 am

exactly the point Jack, there are Midtown Bands, New Daisy bands, and Stage Stop bands.. even the bands trying to make it seem to stick to their own area...not saying good ,bad or either.. Just noticed in different cities the rock clubs seem to encompass all the groups in town ,the hipsters, punk kids, folks hanging onto grunge etc...whereas in Memphis it's kinda sectioned off.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 11:28 pm

I saw a guy from a New Daisy band trying to book a show at the Hitone the other day. I didn't have the heart to tell him we didn't want his kind in midtown.

In other news; I'm a hipster asshole.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 6:02 pm

it seems each part of town thinks they are cooler than the other part...just an observation

I don't feel like this is the case at all. Most "midtown" bands play in midtown because they live in midtown as well as their friends/fans. I'll go out on a limb here and say that a lot of music fans like to drink. To drive from midtown to Raleigh and back after a night of drinking is kind of risky. As someone who grew up in Raleigh, I would love to see some of my favorite midtown bands play at the Stage Stop... but probably only once for the novelty aspect.<--I've actually tried to make this happen a few times and would still want to. In a totally non-biased way, I would like to ask the question why the Hi-tone gets brought up all the time? They have the most diverse booking this town has ever seen. The most obvious reasons that bands play where they lay is they have already established a name for themselves in that area after working for it. As far as the mentioned clubs go, they probably book things the way they do after years of taking it up the butt. They probably figured out what works best for them and stick to it in order to keep the lights on. That's why the above mentioned clubs are all still open for business and others are not.

The invisible border your probably trying to point at is a musical genre division. The music scene here has become sooooooooooo segregated. People feel they have to rep one thing, stick to it, and piss on the rest. One "scene" hates on another scene if they get any kind of attention/press. Attention makes a portion of the demographic who can't think for themselves flock to the praised scene. This is where the term "hipster" should really hold up. Now days a lot of people let the internet/facebook decide what bands they "like" and what shows they will attend instead of their own two ears. Folks 30+ years old still let what kind of music they enjoy determine what kind of clothes they put on their backs. Sometimes I have to take shit from friends and people around me for openly admitting I like a certain Memphis band. That's pretty sad for a town that considers itself to be such a musical wonderland. If people would start to think for themselves and stray from the flock occasionally, they might find something their own scene is missing. If a band from one scene plays with a band from another scene, hopefully fans from both will attend the show. Some might think to themselves "You know what, I like this other band!" But out of fear that their friends will tease them for thinking out of the box, most won't admit it. Sad. The music scene here seems like a great big junior high sometimes. We would all profit from more diverse shows. Music should be treated like travel. Who wants to stay in the same place when the is so much to see? Sure you might not enjoy every place you visit, but at least you can say you went.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 6:29 pm

shiny pants!

I can't stop thinking about the shiny pants!

Mink stole had on a red sequined pair (kinda like your blackones) but there was a big hole next to the crotch.
Desperate living is a depressing movie.
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

The invisible border your probably trying to point at is a musical genre division. The music scene here has become sooooooooooo segregated. People feel they have to rep one thing, stick to it, and piss on the rest. One "scene" hates on another scene if they get any kind of attention/press. Attention makes a portion of the demographic who can't think for themselves flock to the praised scene. This is where the term "hipster" should really hold up. Now days a lot of people let the internet/facebook decide what bands they "like" and what shows they will attend instead of their own two ears. Folks 30+ years old still let what kind of music they enjoy determine what kind of clothes they put on their backs. Sometimes I have to take shit from friends and people around me for openly admitting I like a certain Memphis band. That's pretty sad for a town that considers itself to be such a musical wonderland. If people would start to think for themselves and stray from the flock occasionally, they might find something their own scene is missing. If a band from one scene plays with a band from another scene, hopefully fans from both will attend the show. Some might think to themselves "You know what, I like this other band!" But out of fear that their friends will tease them for thinking out of the box, most won't admit it. Sad. The music scene here seems like a great big junior high sometimes. We would all profit from more diverse shows. Music should be treated like travel. Who wants to stay in the same place when the is so much to see? Sure you might not enjoy every place you visit, but at least you can say you went.

You hit the nail right on the head..
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm

The Stage Stop is a bazillion kajillion times cooler than Murphy's..just sayin'
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®