Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / dancin', djs or publicly listening to awesome records
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am

So still trying to wrap my teeth around the music in this town. Where do y'all go to shake your booties?

Are there good nights for soul/rnb? Any 80's or *barf* "retro" nights that aren't totally cheezy or frat-ed out? Maybe some good electronic music stuff?

Goner DJs were playing at Hi-tone on mondays a while back. Is that a default residency if there isn't a show booked?
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Me and buck Wilders dj'd damn near every week(soul, rnb,60s psych,etc) but there really wasn't a demand for it so we stopped a while back. Would love to do it again, but playing records for 6 or 7 people gets really lame really quick
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 9:39 pm

shit my st patrick's day resolution is to be less lame in the evenings. I can easily help you make it 8-10 people.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 2:21 am

Yeah, used to be more DJ nights around but not a lot of peeps were showing up... Bucc nights were fun. Don't know how to get folks out, though.

I think folks still go to Raifords for cheezy disco action (2 locations? one original, one official?)... Piper / StevAnne play the 80s jamz, right?

Had a blast at the Goner Birthday deal at the Lamplighter, fulfilled one of my dreams to play records in there. Perfect! Would be awesome to get some dance parties going on Sundays with Chuck... or softcore Sundays with Josh at the Bucc... or ????
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Wow, you DJed at the Lamplighter!

That'd be one of my all-time great spots!

It's tuff DJing for no peeps. I've been spinning records for close on 25 years and you can still get disheartened. We literally never know whether anyone's interested at B-Side the A-Side, which is two Saturdays per month sometimes it's packed, others pretty sparse. Problem is that if you do actually put summat on regularly, peeps think 'ahh, I'll go next time'...
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Bucc nights were fun. Don't know how to get folks out, though.

Play all Judas Priest, and Village People!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:30 pm

B-Side the A-Side
What's this?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm | Edited by: BigKegShandy

It's our DJ nite in Bath, Engerland, sorry for the confusion rayultine!

Just trying to lend a bit of moral support, like...
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 6:53 pm

What's Risky Business gonna be all about?
Has anyone checked out "rewind wednesday" at young avenue deli?
Got some ladies in town and they wanna shake their asses.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Got some ladies in town and they wanna shake their asses.

Summer & Tillman. 'Bout 9:30.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Well played!
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:25 pm

they're look but don't touch kinda ladies, sorry.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 11:06 pm

coming soon...a new dj night...the good stuff...you will finally be able to shake your ass rayultine. Will post details here.
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 7:51 am

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Every Thursday night at Mollie Fontaine Lounge with me and DJ Witnesse. It has been pretty good the first few weeks we have done it. It'll probably be big tomorrow night since Witnesse's white rap group, Lord T. & Eloise, is playing the Peabody rooftop earlier in the evening, and we'll be the official afterparty. We play a lot of trippy dub stuff and hip-hop-type stuff. pretty cool crowd too. Scott Taylor bartends ... http://bit.ly/dcBGVB

Other than that, the Risky Business thing is OK for a Tuesday night. Steve Ann still does Monday nights at Beauty Shop. I'm interested in hearing more about The Hook Up's new night!
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

queue Rot Shit first 7"...
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am | Edited by: rayultine

Risky Business made me feel like a grouchy old man. Generic beats mashed into questionable 80's songs + "I DONT WANT TO PLAY FUCKING LADY GAGA BUT I GUESS I FUCKING WILL" = ironic hipster bullshit.

Had fun Wednesday at Young Avenue Deli. There was actual turntable usage and bass you could feel.

Thanks for the heads up on Mollie Fontaine, Mark. I'll be there soon.

Ack to a new Hook-Up gig being while I'm out of the country. I'll send the better half.
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 11:49 am

Ill be spinnng punk records at the buc may 12th, not sure if you can dance to it, but you could slam and worm by yourself
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm going to start DJin again @ the bucc sunday afternoon-early evenings on sundays... Josh and I have been working out the details.. Might start next week, there have been bands booked on sunday for the past few weeks.. Were hoping to have BBQ and music on the front patio, then maybe a band later that night.... Wed's were cool, but it was alot of work and going on late on a worknight. trying to get something started earlier than 11 ..maybe now that its nice outside ...
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Who plays the stuff they used to play at old Raiford's but without the ASU sorority girls "Nite With the Negroes!" vibe? That used to be such a trip; dancing with bachelor party, middle-aged Alpha dudes to stuff like "Skin Tight".
Posted: Apr 19, 2010 10:08 am

Were hoping to have BBQ and music on the front patio, then maybe a band later that night...

suhweeet
Posted: Apr 24, 2010 10:06 am

Starting may 20th, every Thursday night at the world famous poplar lounge myself and buck Wilders will be spinning r&b, fuzzy racket, Latin, boogaloo, soul, Asian go go and whatever else from the 50s 60s or 70s sounds good played loudly in a bar while patrons dance and drink. No cover and $5 beer bust. Every Thursday at about 10ish. Starting may 20th!
Posted: Apr 24, 2010 11:15 am

summertime jamz!
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am

<3softcoresundays
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm

This sunday da patio @ the bucc 4pm
BBQ
Dj'in
BOOZIN
Posted: May 18, 2010 4:40 pm

bumping all this. i'm back in town and ready to bump!
Posted: May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

This Thursday the World Famous Poplar Lounge will be bumpin' with myself and Buck Wilders...$5 Beer Bust! Good times!
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

BUMP IT!
Posted: May 20, 2010 12:51 pm

This thread is gonna get more bumps than the bathroom at Murphy's. Poplar Lounge, tonight batches.
Posted: May 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Poplar Lounge, tonight batches.
Heavy wax of the 50's,60's, & 70's. Doowop, R&B, Soul, Garage, Psych, Pop, Rock, and assorted foreign madness. Free entry (which means no biker at the door) and $5 headache beer. Summer kickoff tonight!
Posted: May 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Biker dude is gonna come kick it with DJ Handsome Mark and DJ Witnesse at Mollie Fontaine Lounge. Hit both nights -- do the party circuit! Dub, experimental hip-hop and all other kinds of good stuff. No cover. Music starts at 11.
Posted: May 20, 2010 5:43 pm

combine these two events and rock some deep rare experimental doo wop.

throw in some assorted biker hip hop foreign pop madness.

kidz'll be cuttin the rug like nobody's business.
Posted: May 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Greg O might spin a few as well!!! He'll be playing all of the above.
Posted: May 20, 2010 6:03 pm

i'm actually kidding about the biker dude. I'd be kinda freaked out if he showed up. luckily we have armed security at MF.
Posted: May 21, 2010 11:48 am

good first night...a few dozen folks aint bad for the first time(seems like Midnight was the time folks started showin up). Cant get over how great it sounds in there...thanks to Mr. Cartwright for comin' out and playin some tunes..and thanks to everyone who came out! Tell yo friends and come out again
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 12:14 am

I'm going to start DJin again @ the bucc sunday afternoon-early evenings on sundays... Josh and I have been working out the details.. Might start next week, there have been bands booked on sunday for the past few weeks.. Were hoping to have BBQ and music on the front patio, then maybe a band later that night.... Wed's were cool, but it was alot of work and going on late on a worknight. trying to get something started earlier than 11 ..maybe now that its nice outside ...

did this ever get going?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®