Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Beal Street Music Festival
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:22 am | Edited by: Cole

Anyone excited about the line up?

http://www.memphisinmay.org/lineup

I misspelled Beale to. Fail.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 9:46 am

B52's, JerryLeeLewis, BookerT, N.MissAllstars, Michael Mcdonald!....woah!
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:05 pm

I've never seen The Flaming Lips. I hear they put on a good show. Too bad I will still be out of the country.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:12 pm

Just another year without Iron Maiden.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:40 pm

I can see why some would get excited about it but I just can't. Alice in Chains? (not without Layne Staley). Earth Wind and Fire sort of caught my eye but why would I want to listen to a geriatric live version of Shining Star when I can listen to the superior seventies studio version? Who's going to prop Jerry Lee Lewis up this year? I'm sure they'll have EMT workers on hand for that one.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 1:11 pm

but dude.....HALL AND FUCKING OATS! party!
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 1:49 pm | Edited by: Cole

Jerry Lee played the Elvis fest in Tupelo a few years ago. The guy who drove the limo for him said that Jerry Lee came running out after the show and told him to hurry up and get the hell out of there before he got mobbed. He said there was one other dude out there smoking.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 4:22 pm

You misspelled too, too.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 4:46 pm

Damn the MS educational system!!!
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 6:55 pm

Not sure how the Flaming Lips will be. They're playin Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety at Bonaroo this year. Lets hope thats not whats happening here.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 7:15 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Ehhh...the Lips will be lame, they have been lame for damn near a decade now...fuck the fuzzy bunny Lips...I want the christmas lights duct taped to their t-shirts Lips, opening for Gibby with a shotgun and vasectomy films Butthole Surfers...but that aint never gonna happen again.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 6:47 am

JLL is playing better than he has in years...he's off most of the meds. He's still JLL
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 2:33 pm

Actually looks like one of the better lineups of the last few years:

JEFF BECK
THE B-52s
FLAMING LIPS
JERRY LEE LEWIS
HALL & OATES
BOBBY BLUE BLAND
DRIVE BY TRUCKERS
SAVOY BROWN
EARTH, WIND & FIRE
BOOKER T & THE MG'S
HUBERT SUMLIN
LEON RUSSELL & BAND

Still, I'll fly across the country for the Stomp but not for this...on the other hand, it's always good to be in Memphis...what else is going on that weekend?
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 3:47 pm

Not sure how the Flaming Lips will be. They're playin Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety at Bonaroo this year. Lets hope thats not whats happening here.

OOooooh,
LORD!
Jesus HELP US!
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 3:56 pm

it's always good to be in Memphis...what else is going on that weekend?
We have Tony Joe White Friday April 30 and Holly Golightly Saturday May 1st.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 4:09 pm

Tony Joe White Friday April 30

That might do it right there...
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 10:37 pm

Tony Joe White!
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 11:51 pm

He's not still doin' the swamp techno shit is he?
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 1:19 am

who cares!
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 1:29 pm

I don't want to care, but I do. Tony Joe+keyboards+disco beats=not good.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 3:25 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Leon Russell, Jeff Beck, Drive By Truckers= Good.

The rest= not so much.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 4:25 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Beale st. sucks,

It ALL SUCKS!!!!

I went to see T.J.White about 6 years ago, and some fool asked me what the hell I was doin' there.He implied that I wasn't supposed to be there.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 5:44 pm

You weren't.

Jerry, are you trying to imply the Jerry Lee ain't good enough for you?
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 6:42 pm

Tony Joe was great last time I saw him 2 years ago or so.
plus you might witness
"You wanna lay down with Tony Joe tonite?"
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:09 pm

The rest= not so much

So Bobby Blue Bland and Booker T. & the M.G.s do not meet with your approval? Whatever...
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:37 pm

hall & oates and the b-52s are very appealing but i seriously hate the whole music fest experience. mud and tards.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:49 pm

Yup
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:13 pm

Anyone remember the MTV music and sports festival? I went to that and had a shitty time.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:18 pm

I'll connect it to the topic. Limp Bizkit played that fest as well. How is that band second to Widespread Panic? Who in the hell cares about them now? Is there a nu-metal rap rock revival? There's alot of shitty music that I'm embarrased that I liked but I knew they were shit from the get go.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:24 pm

Anyone excited about the line up?

Cole we're really gona have to do something about the name.

what about New Cole or Not Kol 1945 or A Different Cole...get creative with it!

thoughts?
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:30 pm

How about "littlemisscole"?

It has a catchy ring to it, girl.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:34 pm

gotta disagree on the weird swampy synthesizers and shit for tony joe. that shit whipped ass if you ask me. although i still missed the other kind of thing i was expecting that show was fucking amazing
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:34 pm | Edited by: MR FERLEY

How about "littlemisscole"

NOoooooo WAY!!!

That would make him sound, well you know......(sniff)...kinda fruity
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:36 pm

You have senoirity sir, so if it really bothers you I can. Hmmmm...... See this is the first message board I've used so I just registered with my name. My first name is Anthony and my middle name is Cole. I do go by Cole in the real world, only people I owe money too call me Anthony. Anthony sucks though.
Not Kol 1945 or New Cole makes me sound like your minnie me or something. I'd like to keep my masculinity and littlemisslinda would just demand I change it again. ColeX? Cole Oblivian? CoCoCole? Cole Stands? COLEBEAUX? I'm just not a creative guy. I'm blanking here....Let me think about it......
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm really putting thought into this. I live in MS. I hunt and fish, so what about something using a hillbilly or redneck theme? Hillbilly Goner? Redneck Goner? What if I change the n to m? Hillbilly Gomer! That's not bad.....
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:01 pm

Cole, just go right on using your name. Cole's just upset he didn't think of it first. He was too busy trying to be clever.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:07 pm | Edited by: bruce

scott should change his name to kohl10-4
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:08 pm

Cole, if you change your handle, I'm going to punch Scott in the nuts.
I'm suprised col bat guano hasn't chimed in with his precious bodily fluids.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:14 pm

if scott changes his i will punch tommy and jack in the nuts and then offer them selected nuts in sea salt
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:15 pm

I wish bruce would stop touching himself in public.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am

Jerry, are you trying to imply the Jerry Lee ain't good enough for you?

No, not at all.

Just saying, of all the ones posted above, those are the three i would especially like to see.

Maybe" = not so much" was a little harsh.

And maybe Hall and Oates. I could watch them.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 12:13 pm

ya mo be there?
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 12:51 pm

JEFF BECK
THE B-52s

Maybe if they were playing a club but I can't see finding a parking space, fighting all that crowd, paying all that cheese. I used to go to the fest all the time in the eighties and early nineties. Guess I'm just getting old and jaded. The place to be would be one of the condos on the hill overlooking the river front. Now that's a way of watching the music fest that I could get down with.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 1:10 pm

i seriously hate the whole music fest experience. mud and tards

Agreed. But it can still be fun if what you want to see is earlier in the day. Booker T. & the M.G.s played at about 5:00 a few years ago and it was fantastic. Then we just took off for the Hi-Tone after that.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I want some salted nuts. Does that mean I have to get punched in the nuts? Just let me know.

Awww, who am I kidding?
Either way, I am in.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 3:16 pm

I used to go to the fest all the time in the eighties and early nineties. Guess I'm just getting old and jaded.

Nope, we just did'nt know any better back then.

1st music fest: Aerosmith. I loved it! I was by myself, and no problem leaving , or even coming back was an option.

Last music fest: James Brown. Way too many people, and I went there with a bunch of dumb girls, you probably know them. These ladies wanted to hang around till some of the traffic died down and we ended up spending 3 hours in downtown traffic.

The Mississippi River has alot to do with it, and the fact that the damn BELZ (I still love you heather) family bought all of that proprety, and promote the HELL out of gettin' dumbasses from bodunk who knows where to spit their dip all over downtown Music fest.

The mississippi river is a henderance in the dispersion of traffic, and and all the dumb-fucks wanna leave at the same time.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 5:13 pm

We always park on Beale, as close as we can get past 4th. Works great if you're early enough and its easy to get out too.
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Alice in Chains? (not without Layne Staley).

Never considered myself an AIC fan, but William DuVall is great. I've actually enjoyed their new album and the show in Atlanta was fun. Alot more fun than Band of Horses and Drive-By Truckers last time I saw them. At +$70 bucks, you gotta be crazy to go period.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®