Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Easter weekend Seatlle guests...recommendations?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 3:49 pm

I know there are forty fucking million threads about what to do in Memphis (and I chimed in on most of them) but...
I need restaurant and music recommendations for my friends coming in from Seattle on the Thursday before Easter. I'm ready with the usual suspects (she was pretty cute on the phone today saying they had to go to the "Hi-Stax"-she meant the HiTone"). Anyway, I've spent ten long years trying to persuade her to come to Memphis. Her husband is way into "Memphis" and BBQ, and they're finally coming.

I need your FAVORITE places (besides Paynes, Cozy Corner, Lamplighter)
to eat and drink. I know nothing about upscale places, but I need some of those suggestions too. She can deal with fancy.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 5:41 pm

Besides the old standbys I love Tsunami.

It's worth a weekday drop-in to the peanut shoppe downtown while wandering down main street/ court square gazing at the crumbling architecture.

The cotton museum is fun, if a little pricey, and not many people think of going there - it's close enough to look out and see the River without much effort. (neither food nor music, whoops)
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 6:04 pm

Bari is really good. Not cheap. Umai is really good. Not cheap, but cheaper than Bari.

Gus' Fried Chicken. Lamplighter for burgers if they're down for the lowdown.

Hopefully Ellens!
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 12:53 am

Take'm to Mississippi for fried catfish... That's what I'd be down for
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 7:36 am

The Bucc on Saturday the 3rd is The Everyday Parade and The Choke from NYC
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 8:51 am

Umai is really good. Not cheap, but cheaper than Bari.
Okay, yeah, this is the kind of thing I need to know. And I was pretty thrilled to see that Ellen's might be operating by the time they get here.
Of course, Gus's, Lamplighter, Cozy Corner are all already on the list.

Windy, those were all good ideas.
Golightly, sounds good to me!

Thanks y'all. Any more?
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 3:38 pm

Take'm to Mississippi for fried catfish...

Where would you go? I don't know anywhere to eat in Mississippi within 30 minutes of Memphis. Not saying there aren't any good places, I just don't know them.

@ anyone: What's the place downtown where you can eat in the basement?
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 3:56 pm

I'd love to take them down to Clarksdale...don't they have some kind of tamale tour on the way down there? They'll only be here a couple of days, though.
Also would love to take them to Graceland Too down in Tupelo.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 4:40 pm

the one that's supposedly haunted? was in it on a ghost tour led by jmm and the ghost hunters were down there, but i can't remember the name of it
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 4:41 pm

Alisa, Graceland too is in Holly springs not Tupelo.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 5:34 pm

Is it Local that you are thinking of? It used to be Sauces. They have a dining room downstairs. It's really good.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 5:40 pm

Cayenne Moon is the one i was thinking of
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 6:50 pm

Alisa, Graceland too is in Holly springs not Tupelo.
Really? Wonder where I got that idea...
Thanks!
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 9:30 am

Sam's thinking of the Cavalry Church lunch deal during Lent... fish pudding! Crab Aspic! Or something.

It's fun to go, and cheap. And you get to sit at a big table with religious geriatrics and lawyers. Fun.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 9:31 am

religious geriatric lawyers
Plumley?
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:36 pm

And you get to sit at a big table with religious geriatrics and lawyers. Fun.
Yeah, I love all that, and the fish pudding! I got the cookbook. It's insane...with recipes for 150.
Anywhere that has aspic is alright in my book. And, geriatric lawyers. My friend might enjoy that, as she's a recent lawyer. Passed the bar on the first try...I'm so proud of her.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 8:43 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

The Gold Club, Paris Adult Theatre', and the Pumping Station always go over big when I take visitors out for a night on the town.
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 8:07 pm | Edited by: robin

Can you still go down in the manholes under the old bridge without getting in trouble? I'm visiting starting this weekend and am dying get up there...
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 8:43 pm

@robin - holy shit, you just reminded me of a terrifying book (a true story) called "A Rip in Heaven" about a multiple murder on the Chain of Rocks bridge in St. Louis. Short version - some kids on the bridge got thrown off.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 10:22 am

Ahhhh! Fuck that shit!! I am never climbing on the bridge again!!
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 6:05 pm

Did downtown tourist stuff today and had a great time. Lunch at Cozy Corner...
Bruce, we went to the metal museum and it was a big hit. Saw Jeannie...she was nice enough to stop work for a chat.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®