Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Really Martin Music? Really?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

You close at 630pm? and 5pm on saturday? would it really kill you to stay open til 8? you would probably have more sales after 7pm than you did all day long.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

The staff has to get to their gigs.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 12:58 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I told my old, old, friend Tommy Beard with Strings & Things, that a vending machiene should be placed infront of the store for peeps that got gigs & need shit at the last minute, and it's after 6:o0 or whatever, selling strings, picks, cords, bullshit, ect.,and 6 months later there's one infront of Consignment Music (S&Things is no more). Maybe the same suggestion should me made for Martin, but there's the crime factor involved.

I wonder how the vending machiene turned out....
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Strings and Things is located at 630 Madison now
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 9:29 pm

I dont know why any musical instrument store would open before noon and close before 8PM...you would think they would know their clientele better
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't know this for sure, but my feeling is that music stores don't make most of their money off of musicians.

Seems to me, there are two demographics that music stores usually cater to, and it's these two demographics who spend the most money on guitars:

1.) ageing, affluent, male babyboomers
2.) children/teenagers

So a store like Martin is going to do well with the first group, while Guitar Center is going to do well with the second. Taylor's was geared towards working musicians and real guitar fans - and it went out of business.

The only music store I've ever heard of that stayed open past normal business hours is Guitar Center, which everyone hates.

BTW...Target sells cheap guitars strings now.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Just to clarify... I'm really glad Martin's moved to Midtown. I buy strings there if I can, if not (Sundays, etc), I'll go out to GC or the vending machine at Consignment.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

or the vending machine at Consignment.

YEAHHHH!!!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:15 pm

well, this is the second time they've fucked me. i dropped a guitar off in there to get a pickup put in. when i went back to get it a week later the guy told me they had put my guitar in the wrong "pile", so no one had worked on it. i'm trying to give these guys money and they won't take it.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 5:46 pm

They sure took my money. I hope my amp is fixed for real.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®