Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Dancing Jimmy
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi all. Going thru a bunch of photos and came across this shot of the late, great Dancing Jimmy. I took this at the Ticket Hub in about 81 or 82.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bowers_photography/
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am

uh, that's not Dancing Jimmy. He was an old white dude.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 9:48 am

Rumpleforeskin is right.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:15 am

The second photo looks more like Dancing Jimmy than the first one
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am

Dancin' Jimmy was a mean old white guy that EARNED his $$$$ dancing for quarters.

That guy aint dancin', he ain't white, and he dosen't look pissed off, or drunk enough to be dancin' Jimmy.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

I think he died when I was 16 or17, and no ammount of misspent quarters could bring him back.

DAMN!
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Sorry....I've lived in midtown since 83 and that is Dancing Jimmy. He was pretty well known. Not sure who the angry white dude was, maybe Dancing Jimmy Jr. but the geezer in my shot was the only Dancing Jimmy we knew. And he was drunk all the time.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm

That guy may be Dancing Jimmy, but he's not THE Dancing Jimmy. He's about about 2:47 right here:

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow..how weird. Everyone I knew and I mean everyone, knew the black dude as Jimmy not the other bum.

This is like some kind of bizarro world midtown memory. Now my head hurts.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 2:34 pm

that is Dancing Jimmy.

I'm pretty sure we need Richwad to weigh in to settle this.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

the guy in front of antenna club in the video is the only Dancing Jimmy I know. That's a young, pre-mean ass drunk demanding-money-&-not-much-dancing-at-all Dancing Jimmy.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Dancing Jimmy was a white guy.
I guarantee it.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 4:32 pm

the guy in front of antenna club in the video is the only Dancing Jimmy I know. That's a young, pre-mean ass drunk demanding-money-&-not-much-dancing-at-all Dancing Jimmy

We used to make him dance, or he did'nt get no money.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Brothers and sisters, I belive each and every one of ya, but my bum was the one, the only, the late great Dancing Jimmy. Ya'lls imposter was apparently rippin off my bum.

Can Wanda Halpert please weigh in?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 5:41 pm | Edited by: Wanda Halbert

That's

HALBERT

H-A-L-B-E-R-T

and YES, Dancing Jimmy was BLACK!

B-L-A-C-K.

Don't let them goddamn, crazy, white folks lie to you!
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 5:47 pm

I have nothing to say here. Just wanted to quote: rippin off my bum.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Thank you Miss Wanda. From now on I will agree with your every wise word.

Really though....this is like that movie were the kid disappears and everyone tries to convince the mom that she never had a kid.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Angry old white drunk stinky Dancing Jimmy was a fixture on Madison from at least the mid -70's. I first encountered him in 1977 at Silky Sullivan's. He kinda took over for the legendary Monk as Public Bum #1. (" And every stinking bum should wear a crown")
"Evahbody had a good time" was his catch phrase. I don't remember anyone ever refer to him as "homeless" -just "bum".
I don't remember timmy's black dancer at all.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:05 pm

I started hanging out in midtown most weekends in late 79. Moved here in 83. Lived on Madison for years until we moved to C/Y in 92. Saw Black Dancing Jimmy at least 3 or 4 times a week.

His thing was that he would argue with you if you didn't give up the coin. He'd try to convince you that he had given you money and you should be given it back.

All time favorite streetfolk.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Two things,
1. how in the hell did I miss White Dancing Jimmy? 2. How in the hell did ya'll miss Black Dancing Jimmy?

OK three things
3. I loved him and I miss him. Thank you.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm | Edited by: Wanda Halbert

Thank you Miss Wanda. From now on I will agree with your every wise word.

Oooooooooh, Lord!!

Jesus, help us ALL!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 2:47 am

BEST THREAD evea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Dancing Jimmy sang with The Crime at a sound check one afternoon at the Antenna...it was interesting
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 12:32 pm

I may not remember alot from living in Memphis, but one thing for sure - Dancing Jimmy is the white dude in the video and man did he smell.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 9:21 pm

He was DEFINITELY white. and hornery as hell. had a creepy laugh.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:54 pm

You guys are killing me.....my Dancing Jimmy was BLACK.

I wasn't part of the Antenna scene, me and my friends were all hair farmers and into the rawk.

I think some street folks must get different nicknames that stick with different crowds, I know of a few right now that are called different names by people in my own family.

Miss Wanda, could you help out a cracker one more time?
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:56 pm

Hornery? Is that a mix of horny and ornery? That sounds scary as shit.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 11:17 am

Guadalcanal Diary's guitarist was a hot picker! I think he's in the Woggles now. I didn't think it was so early when Jimmy died. I was thinking early 90's.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 10:39 pm

Had to be early 90s, he was always there outside of Huey's on Madison causing mayhem. His dancing schtick had been reduced to "Gimme a dollar." Still, he was Dancing Jimmy.
Posted: May 30, 2010 6:16 pm

I loved "The White" dancing jimi, I grew up in mid-town in the 60's. The man was a drunk a bum, a misfit, that made his way around memphis all over. You would see him in the downtown area as well, and as far as park and highland in the old Normal strip area. I gave him a ride once and he did smell bad, like ass crack bad, with a whisky or beer overlay.
My favorite thing about the man was his dancing, he did a dance called "The Helocopter". That consisted of him raising his arms straight out from his sides and start spinning as fast as he could go. Depending on how drunk he was on how good the dance was. I for one never saw him fall down from the spinning drunk or not spinning that fast and long would make me fall over, but he didnt. a mark of a good drunk ? IDK but his spinning would last for a full minute or more as fast as he could do it. it looked cool to me and it make him happy to get a buck or two or even a beer for the dance. He was mean because he lived on the streets and was a bit touched i think. not like the Monk guy, i always heard his people had money but he just wouldnt let them care for him. He could of had a nice place with family but for whatever reason, being crazy or mental he lived on the streets also. Loved you Jimi, still do with fond memories of the man.
Posted: May 31, 2010 8:37 am

This showed up on my FB stream today. The REAL Dancing Jimmy...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31337026&id=1285845727
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm

we need to get to the bottom of this.

I'm thinking there were two dancing Jimmies, but only one t-shirt.
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 1:53 pm | Edited by: Golightly

THAT is the real Dancin' Jimmy Alisa
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®