Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Recent Memphis Restaurant Experiences...
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Jul 22, 2010 8:47 am

New Mexico is pretty damn good Jerry! Dosent look appetizing at all, but tasty and cheap. Kind of in no mans land before you get to the interstate.
Posted: Jul 23, 2010 10:54 pm

the resurrection of this thread makes me happy. because I like to eat
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 2:13 am

hey is that Middle eastern place still next to Goner Store?

at Gonerfest opening nite 2 years ago we had a great meal there and afterward we were standing on the corner trying to get my piece of shit Australian cell phone to work to call a taxi (it was our 2nd nite in the US) when the owner walked over to us and asked what the problem was and when I said I was trying to phone a taxi he said - "no problems I will drive you where you need to go" and he drove us right across town to our hotel!

and if that wasn't enough Msr Jeffery Evans drove us home on Sat nite after the show too!

I love the Memphis hospitality and can't wait to get back over there for Gonerfest this year.
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 6:22 am

Yesterday we went to Woodlands, the Indian place out at Hacks Cross. Seriously good. To eat there once is to never desire India Palace ever again.
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 7:51 am

brett, nope they closed
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 8:50 am

They didn't close. They moved - now they are in the strip by Whole Foods off Poplar. Smoothies on one end, jewels on the other.
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 12:38 pm

So I went to the BBQ Shop for the first time in awhile Saturday night (nothing against it, I just love Cozy and Payne's so much that anything else seems wrong). Had a large group of people with us, half locals and half out-of-towners, including a Commercial Appeal photographer, a guy who works for the Memphis Chamber, an Indie Memphis rep, and the guys who did that Dock Ellis LSD No-No video.

Food was good, but the service SUCKED. We were in by 8 pm, and granted it was a party of 10 or 12 folks, but they couldn't have been less happy to take care of us. They never offered us a chance to order a second round of beers, and the food took more than an hour to come out of the kitchen, and by then the waitstaff was chomping at the bit to get off work, so they just swept the floors around us and, except for frequent glares, ignored our table until they could whisk away our plates and run our credit cards. I had a friend meet us up there who wasn't eating or drinking, and they'd locked the door and ignored her until she called me on her cell phone to let her in.

I still tipped a little over 20 percent, but I'm not in a hurry to go back, and my point of being all name-droppy in the above paragraph is that there were some other folks there who wine and dine people all the time who probably won't return either.
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 12:41 pm

similar story the few times i've been there in about the last three years
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 2:25 pm

That Dock Ellis video is the best thing that came out in any media last year! Must-see tv!
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 4:14 pm

I just made my sister cry laughing by showing her that vid!
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 9:04 pm

Vanelli's Deli in Germantown fucking rules.
It's an Italian Deli, but it's different from Fino's.

I might eat there every day this week, and I won't complain.
It's a strip mall or two past Saddle Creek on Farmington.

If you work where rich white people live, do yourself a favor.
Posted: Aug 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Juicy Jim's pizza sucks. Terrible, greasy, nasty garbage. Fuck you, Flyer.
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 8:53 am

The goat tacos at guadalapana made me sick tuesday.
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 9:16 am

Vanelli's Deli in Germantown fucking rules.

Best meatball sandwich in town!
My Grandmother came over from Italy at the age of 13...I know meatballs!!

Don't know where they get their bread but it rules!
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 5:37 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Golden Coast on Germantown Parkway serves impressive Chinese food, and you can tell they used really good ingredients, with subtle sauces and seasonings.

Green Bamboo is as bland it's strip mall location would suggest.
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 11:22 am

Deja Vu on Florida, still. Shrimp ettouffe (sp?) and sides. YOWZA!
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 5:12 pm

Lavoro's Italian Restaurant in Bartlett. Located in an old KFC or something at the corner of Sycamore View and Summer. Entree's are Pete N Sam's quality (although Katherine swears the eggplant parmesan is the best she has ever had in a rest.) but the pizza is GREAT. Had dollar pints the night I went, too.
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 5:22 pm

Also, looking forward to trying the Pakistani restaurant that currently resides inside what used to be the Day's Inn (site of a gun battle a few years ago?) Denny's at the Sycamore View/Macon intersection. Katherine wants to wait until we've got an evening with a clear schedule the next day.
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 6:35 pm | Edited by: Wire

Sam - when you say great pizza - who else in Memphis is close? MPC? Milanos? Exlines?
I'm looking for a nice NY slice, and I can't find it.

Hey - I know where that place is! I just never drop by.
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 6:59 pm

Better than those 3. Do you like Hi-Tone pizza for a NY slice? What about the greasy Whole Foods slices? Their crust is pretty good when it's fresh.

Lavoro's is a little more interesting than HiTone... The Trolley Stop pizza is great, I'd say Lavoro's is up there with Trolley Stop. I also like Brooklyn Bridge pizza but it's too expensive.

But how bad can bad pizza be? Shit, if I'm telling you it's better than Exline's, Milano's or Garibaldi's then what have you got to lose?
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 2:59 pm

Dont waste your time,money or bodily fluids at Pyramids(the pakistani joint). The last 2 times Ive been there the food was cold, terrible and gave me the worst shits I ever had...yes both times. Mark it off your list fast!
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 3:02 pm

Brooklyn Bridge pizza is hands down the best in town to me, but it is a bit pricey and a ways out. Good crust, quality/fresh ingredients and nice size slices! Hi Tone is a close second and MPC is my default setting.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 3:57 pm

I still like Little Italy for a simple slice. Trolley Stop stuff is good without being "gourmet." Speaking of which, anyone gone back to Pizze (?) Stone more than once? Hmmm. Me, neither.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 4:41 pm

First (and last time) I went to Pizze Stone they were out of pizza dough.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 4:51 pm

I hate MPC and Exlines. Milanos is the closest to what I want - a big floppy thin slice that doesn't shatter when folded and isn't greasy as all hell.
Did the Hi-Tone give up on lunch? I've gone by recently and it's looked closed.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 5:00 pm

Yeah, they couldn't stay open from 11 am to 3am every day. Too long.

I like their pizza, too. And S Youngblood can cook!
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 3:01 pm

Pizza Stone on Overton Park? They're closed now.

Want to go to Lavoro's...pass by it most everyday now. Added bonus is that I worked at that corner in a Fox Photo booth...that's where I was when I found out that Elvis was dead.
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 3:39 pm

I still like Little Italy for a simple slice.

Seconded. Also like Hi-Tone pizza, even though they quit using Portobello mushrooms.
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 5:23 pm

Pizza Stone on Overton Park? They're closed now.

no surprise. It's a cool spot, with the right restaurant & business plan it would be great. The Sidewalk Cafe or whatever it's called down the street does great with okay food (and a wayyyyy too big menu.)
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 5:47 pm

Fresh Slices? That place suxxx. Way too expensive.
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 5:48 pm

Also, calling your place "Fresh Slices" and not selling pizza ought to be a crime.
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 5:57 pm

Marena's was in that spot for a pretty long time. That place down the street is called "Slices", and is inexplicably popular. Evergreeners want a place to go that they can walk or bike to. Pizza Stone tried hard...
I'd like to see a NY Deli go in there. They'd make a killing.
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 5:58 pm

Oh yeah..."FRESH Slices". Sounds vaguely nasty to me...
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 6:35 pm

fresh slices is some overrated yuppie shit
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 10:56 am

Fresh Slices...dumbest most misleading name ever. Went twice and was gross both times. Fuck it!
Posted: Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Casablanca - just had the lamb salad and loved it. Owner remembered me from last visit several months back. Friendly atmosphere.
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 2:18 pm

little italy is still the closest to nyc pizza for me....and they deliver to my house, unlike milano's. every time I call over there it's a crapshoot though. sometimes there's a $20 minimum order, sometimes not.
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 2:04 am

Fresh Slices...dumbest most misleading name ever.

We drove by the one in Cordova tonight and said the same thing. Slices of what?
Posted: Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I had to get my liver'n'onions fix at Picadilly near Graceland. Twas good and there was the added bonus of literally bumping into Willie Herenton. I believe he had the roast beast au jus.
Posted: Sep 21, 2010 5:17 pm

every time I call over there it's a crapshoot though.

sometimes they pick up the phone, sometimes not!
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 9:16 am

just in..noticed that Pyramids Buffet on Sycamore View (yeah..the pakistani joint) now has banner outside pimpin an Amercan Seafood Buffet everyday and night $7.99. Foregt this place.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am

Well helllllo baybeees!

Three cents this AM: The Bagel Company. Those bagels are great, if you can deal with the lazy ass Ridgeway HS kids manning the front of the house at 7 AM on a Sunday.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 12:06 pm

I don't think it's called "the Bagel Comany" anymore but something stupid like "City East Grill" with the tagline "bagels and grill".

It got bought out by the West St. Diner people a coupld of years ago. West St. Diner is garbage.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Patrick's Liver'n'Onions. Shoulda got a side of sauteed mushrooms to put over 'em, but it was good anyway.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 1:33 pm

Three Angels on Broad. Diner idea from Bari owners.

TINY place, but excellent fresh food for 8 bucks. Liquor & beer licenses coming.

I had short ribs (that had no ribs) on greens & grits, delicious. Could have been a bit more food and could have been 10 bucks and woulda been perfect, but didn't feel like a boutique diner, either, if you know what I mean- three peas, a speck of meat, and sauce drizzled around the plate for 18 bucks.

They seem to be going for the Soul Fish approach - limited menu with excellent food. Three Angels definitely will have more day-to-day variety, though.

I'd get there before it's completely packed.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 1:34 pm

Oh, and Bluff City Bayou appears to be closed for real. Right?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 1:43 pm

yep, closed -- but Bar Dog is opening a slider joint in its place!
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 2:22 pm

Really? Nice!

Saw Dimitri w/Andy Wise on the news, glad Bar Dog is doing well. Would love a decent slider spot as a lunch option, hope it can work at that intersection.
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Deja Vu (or as they weirdly spell it, DeJAVU) is definitely open on Florida Street, and as good as ever. Wow.
Posted: Oct 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Taquieria Garibaldi is not on Summer anymore.. now on Knight Arnold near Ridgeway. Damn tasty.
Posted: Oct 15, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm glad to hear Taquieria Garibaldi hasn't closed but only moved. I love that place but the last couple times I've been there I was the only customer. Hope they succeed in the new location.
Posted: Oct 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Garibaldi has been replaced by Los Picosos. I didn't notice until I was paying that it was no longer Garibaldi. The salsas were a little different and I actually enjoyed the tacos a little more than Garibaldi. They have a killer habanero salsa that Garibaldi lacked.

Los Picosos also has another location at 3888 Macon Rd.
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 8:17 pm | Edited by: Thomas OBrien

Posted: May 11, 2010 4:13 pm Quote what is the best Bar B que place in memphis now then? lets get a vote here.
Without doubt Cozy Corner restaurant. Best barbecued ribs, best barbecued anything.
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 8:28 pm

what bbq is most best?
Without doubt, Cozy Corner restaurant. Best Barbecue ever.
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

what is the best Bar B que place in memphis now then?

Cozy Corner, no doubt, best barbecue in Memphis!
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Sorry about the extra post. Don't know what happened, don't know how to delete them.
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Ive been going to the little tea shop on Monroe religiously since I discovered it. It has apparently been around in some incarnation since the 30's and is now owned by a middle eastern couple. Its basically home cooking, with a couple of twists. They make the best greens Ive ever had and apparently they dont use any pork, and are also famous for their corn sticks (delicious oval sticks of cornbread). I usually get the lacy special, which is chicken sandwiched between four cornsticks, smothered with gravy, and served with rice and a side.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 9:45 am

Heard Maya's is for lease. Bummer. There was never anyone in there, but I liked that joint.

Still down with Los Picosos on Summer. Huge portions, fresh food.

Glad the Next Door place is open in Cooper Young.

Construction next door to Goner on a Vegan Restaurant to the East. Haven't tried Italian in the old Dish location.

Haven't checked out the rumored new Bardog spot at Cooper & Peabody - the old One More bar / briefly Bluff City Bayou.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 9:54 am | Edited by: eric o

also Sharon's, where Abe was working & recommended, got a rave review... sounds all right!
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Heard Maya's is for lease. Bummer. There was never anyone in there, but I liked that joint.

Bummer. I dug that spot as well. Gotta admit that I stopped frequenting it though since I was hipped to what was Garibaldi and now is Los Picosos. Also, Caminos de Michoacan just a few blocks west of Maya's is great and on par with Piscosos as far as deliciousness is concerned.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Caminos de Michoacan

have heard about it... will investigate. The one with a bakery, right?
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 1:06 pm

The one with a bakery, right?

Si.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm

I've been eating at Mortimer's lately. Kind of an old fart kind of place, but the food is great and you can tell everyone in there has been going for years. Plus, they have 40 cent oysters on Tuesday and Saturday.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm always fascinated by Mortimer's. Is it just a bar food kind of joint like the Belmont?

and I always get a food boner when this thread gets revived.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 8:57 am

Haven't checked out the rumored new Bardog spot at Cooper & Peabody - the old One More bar / briefly Bluff City Bayou.

They're still working on it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Love Mortimer's name and driving by there. Someday I will eat there.

Love driving by The Cottage, too, but never want to eat there again.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Love Mortimer's name and driving by there. Someday I will eat there.

be sure to try to get a seat in the Lee Trevino room.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Asiana Garden - Korean place at Mt Moriah and Ridgeway/Hickory Hill. Cheap lunch, fast service. Tastes great if you like Korean. Doesn't if you don't.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 5:13 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Mortimer's is kind of old lady cozy. The food is really good. They have a lot of seafood, and that's all I've eaten there. Sides I've had are awesome...homemade onion rings, spinach, etc. They have sandwiches (oyster poboy - puts the Bayou to shame), and some kind of one pound stuffed burger that I'm going to try next time - either with bleu cheese or smoked gouda. Prices are reasonable...wine is in a big glass.

I really haven't noticed all the golf stuff. The bar looks like one of those old timey kind of Cheers bars...but old-timeyer.
Oh yeah...supposedly it's owned by the family who used to run the Knickerbocker, and still has Knickerbocker favorites.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Mortimer's had a sign out front about a month ago that said "check out our Big Star memorabilia". Asked around and heard Chris Bell's sister either owns/works/manages the joint, either way seems cool.

Any place with a Lee Trevino must rock. Hell I want a Lee Trevino room.

Plus, 40 cent oysters sound good right about now.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 5:18 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Mortimer's reminds me of the kind of places we went out to eat when I was growing up. I ate there a lot back in the mid-2000's, and the food was good and the crowd skewed mature and had no qualms about day drinking.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Mortimer's make the best chicken livers I've had in Memphis. If there's better, let me know.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am

Food Truck Laws eased...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/apr/19/court-square-entertai ns-food-truck-vendors-custome/

When Downtown, food trucks will be able to operate 50 feet from a restaurant; elsewhere, the rule is 300 feet.

Attn entrepreneurs: this one's free. Taco truck near Urban Outfitters.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am

Jack Stands needs a coffee truck yo!
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 11:21 am

Mortimer's liver and oyster food truck!
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am

Taco truck near Urban Outfitters.

Too close to that stupid lunch spot in the antique mall next door.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 4:38 pm

what if you park by the two way?
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 6:41 pm

That's what I'm thinking... Cooper Young intersection is out, but in that weird no-man's land around the train trestles you could set up and snatch all the traffic heading in or out of cooper young.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm

i go wherever scott tells me to go
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 10:05 pm

there is a perfectly good joke to make here, but i'm not doing it
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®