Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Recent Memphis Restaurant Experiences...
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Jerusalem: Dull and no one in there. Food was uninspired. Always seem like you're bothering someone by eating in there. Bummer.

Edo: Very nice sashimi plate. I don't go to Sekisui any more.

Maya's: Gotta remember they put rice in their burritos. Still great chips & salsa, still never anyone there. Anyone with any tips on other spots on Macon? RWad said a bakery somewhere along there had great menudo.

Kwik Shop Grill
: Conistent, and consistently busy. It looked like they were filming The Hills Have Eyes 3 (4?) in there today.

Fino's: Good sandwich made better by addition of extra olive paste from New Orleans. New owners?

Anyone tried Bluff City Bayou on Peabody? I thought they'd already closed, but cars were out for lunch this week. Good sign.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

El Mezcal- Horrible. Guacamole was like sour cream with green dye.
Golden India Buffet was very good.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Haven't tried it, but there's a Mexican joint on Lamar near Getwell my friend went to yesterday. The torta has what looked to be pulled pork, ham, and a HOT DOG!!! Smelled awesome and was plenty big.
Lebanese place on Winchester out past airport is great!
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:10 pm | Edited by: eric o

we call it... salchicha! i think.

(the hot dog, i mean.)

Also- anyone tried the African place on Jackson?

Have never had a bad time at Golden India.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

DU WON JUNG-Korean joint on Hacks Cross...good times...sunk in charcoal grill in middle of table... The bulgogi is great, the spicy pork and the beef marinated in pear juice are my faves. Their Hamul Peajon, a seafood pancake is amazing...has octupus, scallops, squid, shrimp, veggies...effin' great. BBQ eel is a good choice also...Go!
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

thumbs down on Bluff City Bayou--overpriced, weird space, po-boys on small, hard rolls.
La Guad has been tre shitty lately, which saddens me.
Love to chat, but I'm b-lining to Lamar near Getwell
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

went with my gf to NEW NAM KING on Valentine's day (thatsa right, ladies) cause I was craving dim sum something fierce and missing the late great Lobster King. it was uhhh no substitute.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm

"el quetzal" mariscos - 5855 winchester, across from the guad #2.

i think it used to be mariscos mazatlan.

salsa's not great. (maya's has the salsa locked down)

everything else = great! free cup of seafood soup w/ chips and salsa.

fish burrito was awesome...and i got a business card advertising the sound services of "dj quesedilla."

also, way out, woodlands indian restaurant on hacks cross. great lunch buffet. all vegetarian, but my carnivorous friends dig it.

further out, in collierville, new que huong is really good. one of the two sisters from saigon le goes solo and kills it. good stuff.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Guacamaya's in Bartlett - been there twice recently, was great both times. trio of warm salsas!

I highly recommend the dim sum @ Asian Palace (Covington Pike).
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 7:19 pm

Guacamaya's in Bartlett
right at the corner of stage and appling? can't remember what it used to be called but zubbie loved that place
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 7:36 pm

We keep going to Tycoon on Kirby. It's real simple Chinese food with heavy corn starch in the sauces. They have a lot of vegetarian stuff. I like the Chinese tofu dishes a whole lot, but the curries and Pad Thai are weird.
I like the decor in there. They have little metal ric shaws for the kids to play with.
Also, we have been going to Sheridans on G-town Parkway. All the girls look like they'd be in Playboy if they weren't so wholesome, and the boys look like Jonas brothers. The custard's good, too.
Sakura has been my favorite sushi for a while. The service at Sekisui on Poplar has been really, really, extraordinarily bad more than once.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:02 pm | Edited by: Wire

The Castle - Getwell at Park. Got the Meat Deal and the Veg Deal, took it home and ate for days. Delicous Med food - schwarma, hummus, pita, etc.
The hibachi at Sekisui by Shelby Farms. Good food.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:04 pm | Edited by: luteinizer

also, way out, woodlands indian restaurant on hacks cross. great lunch buffet. all vegetarian, but my carnivorous friends dig it.

Actually, they just started serving meat dishes too!

-hemant (doh.. logged in on her account)
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:05 pm

New Hunan at Eastgate. It's food and all, but it's not that good. Brookhaven Pub on Brookhaven circle. It's food and all, but it's really marginal. Good enough burger, I guess.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Has anyone been to New Hong Kong on Quince?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:53 am

- Eat Well on Germantown Parkway and Stage (Hwy. 64).

All you can eat Japanese. The sushi is fresher than Sekisui and almost as good as Edo. Can't beat the value. I actually got full on sushi. I didn't think that was possible without spending $100.

- Frank's Deli on South Main.

Best sandwiches in town. House smoked turkey, ham, etc. Smells amazing as soon as you walk in. The turkey and ham isn't the thin-sliced typical deli affair, but more like the sandwich you make the day after Thanksgiving.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am | Edited by: colin

Ive been to Geremi on Jackson a few months ago. Pretty good but kinda weird on the inside. Hey Eric...the owner knows Malik(they are both from Somalia...i think), the soccer ref and says he eats there often. I asked Malik last season and he loves the place. Gonna give it some time before I go back. I second heyradio on Eat Well. While Im not so sure sushi is something I wanna gorge myself with, the sushi on the buffet is very, very fresh, tasty and plentiful. Lots to choose from as well as hibachi stuff, springrools, dumplings etc. Its pretty over the top. I also had a good gyro and hummus from a joint on Kirby Pkwy called Cafe Med. Its behind the Danvers at the corner of Poplar and Kirby Pkwy. Nothing beats The Castle...best gyro meat/etc. in town by farrr!
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 11:38 am

further out, in collierville, new que huong is really good. one of the two sisters from saigon le goes solo and kills it. good stuff.

Totally agree with JB here...saves us the drive to Saigon Le
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Haven't tried it, but there's a Mexican joint on Lamar near Getwell my friend went to yesterday.

El Gallo Giro? If so, that place rules.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 1:59 pm

We just went to Woodlands. It was so good. I've never seen such a fancy chandelier in a panelled ceiling.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm | Edited by: ryan brown

Eating at jerusalem is always a tad depressing. I do dig the food for the most part and it's cheap but I usually just do take out now.

Guacamaya's in Bartlett

This joint was recently robbed of their cash register which a young Bartlett lad found in some body of water near the restaurant. News channel 3 had a rad "investigative report" on the situation complete with cut-ins of David Caruso on CSI Miami.

Here is is....and it rules.....

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-csi-detective,0,4138951.story
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 2:59 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Actually, they just started serving meat dishes too!

As of Friday we're told, chicken, goat & lamb. The Methi Chicken did not have the desire effect, but was okay. Their Tandoori was pretty good.

South Indian cuisine like Mayuri but with some different spices. I really enjoyed it. The tamarind chutney was good.

Also, there was a table of 4 hot Indian chicks and they finished their lunch with a desert plate full of balls! Awesome.

Frank's Deli on South Main.

Rules. Hadn't been blown away by a sandwich like that for a long time.

Bluff City Bayou on Peabody? I thought they'd already closed, but cars were out for lunch this week.

An owner of a Vietnamese Restaurant named above offered her the location for some ridiculous amount of money (she told them to get lost). I don't think the owners are in it for the long run.

I haven't had any good Chinese food since I lived in the South.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 4:16 pm

I haven't had any good Chinese food since I lived in the South.

Word. Thai yes, Vietnamese yes, Indian yes, Chinese nyet.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 5:39 pm

- Eat Well on Germantown Parkway and Stage (Hwy. 64)

I second that. High quality buffet sushi and Asian food. You get what you pay for.

Osaka, Cordova - Right next to Lovely Women of Sheridan's Custard - Germantown/ Dexter

Great service and great sushi and Japanese dishes. Their fried rice is unique and get's well deserved raves from many patrons.

Viet Hoa - Cleveland & Poplar

Great food and from what I can can tell, very authentic, probably a bit too much so for some new comers to Vietnamese. Service wasn't great, but everybody was friendly and made the effort. Their specialty iced tea was great.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm

I like the Overton Park Pizze Stone (yes, it's spelled Pizze -yech!) regardless of the somewhat hi-falutin' nature of their pizzas. Some interesting and subtle tastes. I guess I wouldn't really consider their pizzas to be what I think of as "pizzas" but... My only complaint is that they only come in one size so you gotta order 2.

...And that they spell pizza, 'pizze'.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Oh, they do have more than one size: 9" (too small) and 12" (not big enough).
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 7:46 am

yeah i was wondering if bluff city bayou had already come and gone when i happened by there about 7:30 pm on a Saturday night and it was closed. but apparently they only do lunch...? they used to be over on madison near the medical district next to an african american barber joint and that place that was briefly a venue and then a mexican restaurant. they looked to do a pretty brisk lunch business, so i'm not sure why they moved over the peabody & cooper if they're not going to dinner.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 1:17 pm

UMAI

The only time I've EVER seen anything in that restaurant less than perfect there was an orange soufle that I made.

Easily one of the better 3 restaurants in midtown.
Four star rating from Memphis Magazine, old school NYC punk some sunday nights, and he recently put a Goner sticker on his truck. I didn't say anything to him about it though.

KEN ROCKS!!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Umai's beef salad might be the best dish I've had in Memphis.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Will be going to Eat Well. Tomorrow.

I've been enjoying the tortilla soup & guac from Las Delicias lately and a few doors down at The Castle, I am always amazed at the great quality of their gyro or shawarma. Never had anything bad there. I wonder how Pita Wraps can hang a few doors up.

Anyone tried that AndrewMichael place on Brookhaven Circle yet?
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Speaking of Brookhaven Circle, there's word that Bangkok Alley might be moving into The Kitchen's old space.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I am always amazed at the great quality of their gyro or shawarma.

Castle does it right...oiled/grilled bread...plus they throw the meat on the grill to crisp it up after they cut it off the spit...best Gyro in town, hands down
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:10 pm

I had some "thing" from the Castle today (my wife asked for chicken schwarma, don't know what I got, no sauce or anything on it) and it was god fucking awful. Warm and oily, yes, but NO FLAVOR. I prefer that place on Poplar next to the Smooth Moves in the shadow of the Independent Bank building. It's currently closed for renovations. That guys is super nice.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:24 am

Anyone tried that AndrewMichael place on Brookhaven Circle yet?

I have heard nothing but good things, but I ave yet to try it. Next time I am in town it is on my list.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 11:55 am

This is my favorite thread on the board. I have spent quite a bit of time in Memphis but am moving there permanently in a few months. I am coming from out west and am a big fan of Mexican food and all its variations. My question is: what is everyones favorite Mexican place? I dig it all.. Tex Mex, taqueria's, giant honky burritos etc..... Your input is appreciated. I have already mapped out a few places I will go when I arrive. Thanks in advance.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 12:30 pm

You'll have all kinds of responses on that roastporkgravy, but right now, for the $ and quality, Las Delicias is hitting the spot with tacos, guac, tortilla soup, charro bean soup...Ryan gets the burritos but I've never had them. I like the aforementioned Maya's for certain things, but Las Delicias tastes fresher and better.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 12:35 pm

For all the love Restaurant Iris gets, I was pretty eh about our spendy meal there for my birthday last year. It was good enough, but not mind-blowing. The dessert was all goofily flashy also, with the syrup designs.

However, I think a lot of my negative opinion of the meal was based on the completely dismissive attitude from our server who spent half her time telling some table from California about her stint living in Wine Country...obnoxious. Had to flag her down to get anything. We haven't been back.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:17 pm

come get lunch at the hi tone. youngblood makes the best plate lunches in town. fo' real.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Just had good carnitas tacos at the Happy Mexican. Hadn't been there for years, but meat was good, pico de gallo and hot salsa were good. Simple, and not Tex-Mex'ed out. Lots of food for 10 bucks.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:26 pm

We have gone out to Mi Pueblo on Hack's Cross a coupl'a times. The vegetarian food on the menu is pretty standard and barely ok, but I really love being in there. Everyone is so nice, and they have horchata. They also have a buffet, and that's what most people go for. It has egg rolls and fries and jello and all sorts of pig parts, as well as a taco station with warm soft corn tortillas and different meats for that.
I have a feeling that buffet would really hit the spot for a meat eater.
The booths are all crazy colors, and they have a bunch of coin operated prize machines in front.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:53 am

YES! I have been waiting for a thread like this. Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations!

Kwik Check/Petra's - Petra's bi bim bap is still the jam, plus tried one of their sandwiches with the habanero sauce. yums.

I second Mi Pueblo - salso/chips are ok but "authentic mexican" portion of the menu is stellar.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

We like El Palmar on Summer near Graham -- their horchata is the best. La Guad on Austin Peay is aight and way better than the one on Summer. The meat at the latter just always seems like it's not cleaned enough.

Had that awesome sammich at Pho Saigon the other day. That with some coconut bubble tea hits the spot. Yum. They gave me my bubble tea in a tall sundae glass with multicolored bubbles the last time I was there -- it was beeyootiful!

Favorites that I don't get to enough: Mayuri, Bari, Tsunami. I'm ashamed to admit I have never been to Umai.

Oh yeah, and the aforementioned High Point Pub: we're there a lot bc the dance studio where we practice is right across the street. The hot wing chicken salad (fried) with ranch and extra hot wing sauce on the side is really tasty, and they've got $2.50 pints on Monday nights.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 9:43 pm

I went to Kwik Chek for the first time yesterday since they absorbed Petra. Wife had a 1/2 Muffaletta and a piece of French Silk pie (two pregnancy cravings at once). Both were the best we've had in town.

I had a shrimp and vegetable omelet concoction (pajeon?) that was really good and some kim chi, which was fermenty. I passed on getting some flaming hot funyuns, which were tempting me during the wait.

I tried out Taqueria Garibaldi across from Big Lots on Summer a couple of weeks ago. My eyes were waay bigger than my stomach and I left with two tortas (pastor and carne asada) and something like a tamale flattened and grilled on the skillet with meat inside. Along with a horchata, the whole thing came out to about $20. All of it was great.

For the same price, I could have gotten some chips and a lecture from Las Tortugas, though the ingredients might have been fresher and more recently bought.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 12:02 am

Garibaldis= yummy pizza over on Walker by U of M.

Pho Saigon on Poplar, tasty five dollar lunch specials.

Seven Mares Mexican restaurant on Jackson. The tampiquenas are orgasmic.

Tops BarbQ...nuff said.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 10:23 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Castle does it right...oiled/grilled bread...plus they throw the meat on the grill to crisp it up after they cut it off the spit...best Gyro in town, hands down

I'll go to Castle next time I'm in that part of town. I evaluate a gyro the same way and I am constantly amazed at how many places in Memphis will throw dried-out, microwaved meat on a cold pita and think it's all good. Yang's deli on Summer makes a decent gyro, and Pita Wrap's on Poplar was putting out some really good gyro until they went on indefinite remodeling hiatus.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 11:02 am

Is the Pita Wraps on Park run by the same people who run the Pita Wraps on Poplar?
I miss that place.
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 3:17 pm

Is the Pita Wraps on Park run by the same people who run the Pita Wraps on Poplar?
I miss that place.

I think its the original owner of the joint on Poplar who now has the Park locale. Think he sold the one on Poplar. Not sure if they are working with the same menu or not?

Kind of confusing.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:11 pm

recent experiences: I called Kwik Chek a few days ago and asked "do you deliver?" They said yes so I ordered a Ninja and 20 minutes later it arrived at my house. I placed another order before starting to write this. Roommate just answered the door and shouted "Will, Kwik Chek is here!"...ALL MY WILDEST DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE

Not sure how long this has been going on, but I hope it lasts! This is what I call a game changer. 2 dollar delivery fee for orders under 10 dollars... today I branched out to ordering sodas from the store. Thinking about testing the water with candy bars, beer or lottery tickets next time.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:29 pm

Shit yeah Will. I said the exact same thing. Kwik Check delvery has changed my life. For the better.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:34 pm

any idea on the delivery range?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:54 pm

I live around Avalon and Jackson, so at least that far
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 7:52 pm

Mi Pueblo coming to the old Cafe Toscana spot soon.

I like the Smooth Moves next to the Pita Wraps place. They've got a Fat Stripper Blend smoothie.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 6:55 pm

Visited the Belmont today after a long while of not going...they still make a badass little burger (wish they were a bit bigger), cooked to a perfect medium (nice and pink), bacon was perfect "burger bacon"(not too crispy)...great...still one of the best burgers in Memphis.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 7:14 pm

Agreed about Belmont burger...I'll have to say it is the best one in Memphis that I know of at least!
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 12:05 pm

just had breakfast at that new farmtable joint on Cooper...REALLY good. Had shrimp and grits with sausage and 2 eggs with crab gravy. I usually do not like fancy pants breakfasts, but this was quite the remarkable meal.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 12:24 pm

I like the Smooth Moves next to the Pita Wraps place.

Yesterday, I talked to the guy who is always working in there. He said the Pita Wraps guy got in a fight with the owner (the roof fell in and the owner refused to pay for it to be fixed) and pulled all his shit out mid-renovation. He's currently looking for a cheaper space.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 2:13 pm

just had breakfast at that new farmtable joint on Cooper...REALLY good. Had shrimp and grits with sausage and 2 eggs with crab gravy. I usually do not like fancy pants breakfasts, but this was quite the remarkable meal.

affordable as well? I heard it's supposed to be. Shoulda went there today...

Instead we went to Bluff City Bayou... 9.50 for 1/2 a Muffaletta that, while not bad, was nothing special. And mighta been just like you mighta gotten in NOLA but not at a place you would get muffalettas from. Pretty bland. We all got sandwiches so no idea on gumbo, red beans rice, etc.

I'm sticking with Deja Vu for now!
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 3:48 pm

yeah, plates are 8-12 bucks, a little pricy for breakfast, but affordable...I didnt leave hungry, which makes it more than worth it.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 4:27 pm

Burger King has a special on double cheeseburgers for a dollar!
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 1:48 pm | Edited by: luteinizer

Flight = expensive + slow service + lots of butter and wrongly cooked filet (how hard is med rare anywho, restaurants just can not seem to get this right at all, even at places "known for their steaks)
Actually one of the most perfectly cooked filet I have ever had was at UMAI and flemings, never thought I would go to flemings but had a medical dinner thing there, so yummy.

Fuel = not bad, had a bison burger. hit the spot, but felt I needed to go for a long run after. The fries were yummy. I still think one of the best burgers is at 1912. Only their fries suck.

Went to the "new" compadres - same menu, food the same, customers were way worse.

I highly recommend going to the castle with a friend and getting a meat and vegetarian platter so good.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 4:36 pm

Re. Fleming's: All the Outback brands -- Carraba's is another -- have pretty consistently high quality. Believe it or not. Everything totally from scratch. definitely a cut above most chains.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 10:40 am

"new" Los Compadres? The new location or has that new restaurant opened in its old spot?

I agree about Flight, expensive with slightly above average food.

Fuel's Bison burger was way too good.

Au Fond in CY is crazy awesome. Great cheeses and bread made in house.

I've been saying it for years, Belmont's burger is way better than Huey's.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

Carraba's is another -- have pretty consistently high quality. Believe it or not. Everything totally from scratch.

I can make italian food from scratch also, doesnt mean its any good. Not a fan of Carrabas...the pork chops I had were ok, but my girls salt raviolis in salt sauce were crap.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Fork It Over in Cooper Young... does catering and pick up meals...

just had some sandwiches, much better muffaletta than Bluff City Bayou (not saying much), good club, good grilled chicken. Simple, pretty cheap.

http://www.forkitovercatering.com/index.php/lunch_menu/
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

salt raviolis in salt sauce

how can you screw up salt raviolis in salt sauce?
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 10:52 am

much better muffaletta than Bluff City Bayou (not saying much)

I feel like their food was way better when they were still on Orleans. That being said, I have yet to have anything I would call decent Creole in this town, and I've been looking for 15 years.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 6:52 am

EVERYTHING at Las Tortugas on Germantown Parkway is insanely great! Holy shit those sandwiches are doper than dope. Alaskan King crab tamales are delicious too. The soups are bangin. The hibiscus tea is super sexy. I love that place!

So glad to hear The Castle is good. I'll check it out. Too bad it is in a cursed location. I'm cheering it on though
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 9:18 am

Had brunch at the Beauty Shop on Sunday and it was delicious. Good coffee too. I have never had a bad meal there ever.

I have tried twice now to hit up Farmtable and it was closed both times. Is it just closed on Sundays? I really want to go but it is just not working out so far.

Las Delicious is my new favorite mexican.

El mezcal margaritas almost did me in Saturday morning after having a few on Friday night. Funky hangover. They are florescent green and taste of pine sol.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 10:40 am

whoa nelly. Had the beef flautas as Las Delicias and they were horrid. So greasy that I'm still feeling weird 18 hours later. I wish I had eaten my heavenly chorizo taco AFTER putting those flautas in my gut. Can't all be winners. beware

I'm continually surprised that there's such a small crowd at RP Tracks for Sunday brunch. There should seriously be more Brother Junipers run-off. Stellar home fries w/ their chipotle mayo and pigs in a blanket that are better than my mom's.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Yeah...ya know the food at RP Tracks is a little underrated. Ive never been there for brunch, but their nachos, quesadillas and burgers are pretty tasty. Had the wings once and they were terrible, but the nachos were great!
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm

RP Tracks was always hit and miss for me. When I was underage and went there because I knew I could get served, it was great. As I got older, I was not all that impressed. The burgers were good. But, I tell you one thing, their guacamole was intense. I love it.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 4:19 pm

I mean yeah, Tracks is above average 'merican bar food for lunch and dinner, but check out the brunch!!! Seriously, it is killer.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Never been for brunch, but the last time I went to RP Tracks the food was inedible. Disgustingly inedible. For bar food, Belmont Grill is my favorite. Brunch fave is Interim and used to like Umai and miss that place.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:18 am

I get the Belmont Club sandwich all the time...and I ain't even a member
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I finally figured out there are 2 kinds of salsa at mi pueblo...the "hot" salsa, the special one they put on the buffet, not the one they bring with the chips...is really exceptional, best salsa Ive had in town...really really good.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:44 am

Where is Mi Pueblo?
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 10:02 am

Las Tortugas aka Deli Mexicana makes the best sandwich i've had in a bit- gulf shrimp tortuga. everything on the menu (so far) is good/different from anything in town, all made from scratch. owners are real arrogant and stress the authenticity of their food - got really pissed when i asked if they had Santa Fe Egg Rolls. problems: it's not in memphis (G'town Parkway) and it's kinda pricey.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am

The english speaking staff of Las Tortugas are very obnoxious but the food more than makes up for it. The owner Pepe gave me some samples of the different homemade soups (The older owner pays special attention to the ladies, he always "likes my sweater" or something of that nature). Alaskan crab soup was unbelievable! It's definitely not cheap but the ingredients are such quality that I don't mind spending a little extra.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

A friend brings over good stuff from Los Tortugas and never mentioned how pricey it was. The scallop sandwiches are my favorite and the quality is always top notch and the king crap tamales sound intriguing, but nothing I've eaten from there was worth dealing with obnoxious service. I'll check it out today for lunch.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 12:34 pm

service isnt obnoxious really. theyre straightforward but get pissy if you ask for nachos bell grande. that scallop sandwich cost your booty call a good 15 bucks
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 5:01 pm

The older owner pays special attention to the ladies

I think you mean, "the straight one".

king crap tamales sound intriguing

Yes, quite!

Those dudes are obnoxious about their cuisine, but can you imagine the dickfucks they've got to deal with at that location? Jesus, I bet they've been asked, "don't y'all have nachos or somethin'?" about a billion times.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 6:02 pm

well, do they?
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Dude, I dare you to ask them.
Posted: Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am

I know I'm just too stubborn, but there is actually too much for me to eat out here to drive to hellish G'town pkwy and deal with the Soup Nazi-esque attitude at Las Tortugas. I like carnitas tacos--not a big fan of seafood in my flour products--and several places hit the nail on the head for much cheaper for those.
Posted: Mar 20, 2010 11:54 am

I like Los Tortugas, but it is more like "going out to eat" than going out for lunch, price wise.
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 11:51 am

What kink of taco sauce do they have?

I prefer a mixture "Hot" and "Fire".
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm

I stopped at the shelby forest general store saturday and had a great double cheeseburger. seasoned just right. kind of reminded me of chuck v's burgers at the lamplighter.

And although i didn't stop there, the woodstock deli was smoking up some great smelling bbq. i still say they have the best bbq in town. no contest.

hear their burgers are pretty tasty as well.
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 2:41 pm

shelby forest burger rules
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 4:36 pm

I heard they have the place--the whole business--up for sale!!!! I hope someone wants to buy as that place is a gem.
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 4:41 pm

what bbq is most best? steak tacos? burgers? chicken & biscuits? we're coming over there this weekend and don't want to waste any time at tourist and/or unyummy type joints.. last time i ate at an old diner with a good jukebox at 3 in the morning AND smoked indoors and therefore nearly shit myself with happiness.. we just don't get this kind of luxury where i come from.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Tried to go to Geremi on Jackson tonight- closed at 8pm. Hmmm. Hope it's not for good. Stuck with our African cuisine and headed over to Abyssinia... hadn't been there in years - it was crowded, people working were awesome, food was great and cheap. And they had beer & some folks had brough wine. Great time.

Worried about Ellen's.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:23 pm

We just went to Playitas. It was a lot deader tonight than it was last time we were there. They were showing a teenage romantic comedy on the big screen. Sambeaux said he recognized the star as being from "High School Musical". The sound was on, and it seemed like were eating in a student union lounge.
The waitress was super mad that our forks were not where she wanted them when she set our drinks down. I thought she was sweet, but just an unskilled waitress. Sam thinks otherwise. Either
way the service was bad in a way that kept us guessing. It was what I would call awesomely bad.
Sam got the ceviche and fish tacos. He loved it. I got scrimps
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Fajitas. Also alright. The horchata was too sweet. Guacamole and salsa were tops! And there are toy/tattoo machines!
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:53 pm

i suggest you keep sam away from "High School Musical"
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 6:53 am

Worried about Ellen's.

You see their new location?
Wedged behind the corner store at Lamar and Bellevue near Harbert. It's not open yet.
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 9:28 am

went to Las Delicias (sp?) last night -- fab!
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 10:56 am

I know about Ellen's. See this thread.

Been watching it. No action recently, and maybe a "For Rent" sign in the window I think they were supposed to be in.

I hope I'm wrong!
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 12:30 am

Still a big fan of the Castle.
But I feel you should know, the burger is a little strange.
Maybe they spice the beef.
Maybe the grill has some residual oil and spice.
However it happens, the burger has some additional flavor.
If that's your bag, enjoy.
But if you want beef, the whole beef, and nothing but the beef, this ain't the place.

A - how's the service at LD?
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 8:57 am

hearing good things about Las Delicias. we rode by last night but they were closed.

can anyone speak on El Palomar (?) on Summer. I've never really paid attn to it or heard much about it, but someone here at work who apparently has similar taste buds was saying it was pretty damn good.
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 9:03 am

El Palomar - had a weird time.... warm salsas... my late friend Jay advised that the larger meat plates were the bomb... a little expensive but seriously a lot of food.

Las Delicias the one time I've been had mediocre burrito, service was okay, margarita was a joke. hopefully better now.
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 9:21 am | Edited by: Will

yeah, co-worker mentioned it was a price point above most other local mexican fare, but worth it if that's what you were in the mood for.
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 10:35 am

El Mercadito-Stage Rd.
pretty standard to flat out lame and some reports crappy mexican food, except for their molcajetes(salsa is decent)...basically a huge lava rock cauldron, with some sort of bright red broth filled with an entire steak, a chicken breast, grilled green onions, choirizo(in the casing) and a huge hunk of farmer's cheese. Really good...there is also an option that has shrimp as well.

That is the only thing to go to the restaurant for.
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 2:52 pm

Looks like El Toro Loco, the place that took compadres old spot, is now open for buisness. Who is going to try it first?
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 2:55 pm

i vote scott
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 3:56 pm

Got take out from Las Delicias last night. That joint is BUSY. the lot was completely full and street parking was at a minimum.

I don't love the place but it's decent and fairly close to the crib.
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 8:32 pm

El Toro Loco is basically Los Compadres. Same servers, same food.
Posted: Apr 3, 2010 12:54 pm

El Toro Loco is basically Los Compadres. Same servers, same food.

no one cares about the servers or food. how were the margaritas?
Posted: Apr 3, 2010 5:41 pm

They will probably be the same I'm sure, they could only sell beer the other day,
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 9:33 am

anyone had anything at el toro loco worth mentioning? we're gonna go check it out tonight.
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 9:37 am

Taco Bell, gringos!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 1:55 pm

I will not be giving El Toro Loco my business. All is not fair n love and margaritas!
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 9:47 am

The new Los Compadres location is too small, and we had craptastic service the last time we were there.

What about Happy Mexican, specifically the one by St. Francis? Yes, no, maybe?
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:11 am

food is ok, but they get my vote for the best margarita (at least the downtown one, never been to the east memphis one)...especially the jumbo top shelf...I dare anyone to drink 3 of 'em. They is strong and tasty.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:43 am

I don't like Happy Mexican cheese. It tastes like orange soy cheese. I have also gotten bad service at Los Compadres (new).
Last time we went to Mi Pueblo on Hack's Cross, the waiters told us that the Hispanic owners of Los Compadres were the owners of Mi Pueblo and El Toro Loco. Their less popular Cuban partners split from them and kept the Los Compadres name, but they lost the location and most of the staff to the favored Hispanic owners.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:58 am

The new Los is much larger than the old one....are you kidding? The old one was super stuffy. As far as El Toro, I wont be giving them my buisness. I cant quote the exactly what happened, but the folks that own Toro totally dicked over the Los folks. Like some dirty shit went down that forced him out. Fuck El Toro! As far as service goes, it was never good at the old Los and I guess I got kind of used to it.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 11:26 am

Huh. The waiters at Mi Pueblo told it another way. Restaurant stuff is crazy.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:55 pm

"Fuck El Toro!"

I guess you're right about the new place being bigger--maybe the problem is that it's more crowded than before. Or I didn't mind how crowded it was at the old locale. Or my perception is skewed. That's probably it.
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 10:49 am

El Mezcal-Perkins location
Jumbo Top Shelf Margarita is a good 'un ($10). Had a couple of them last night...food is a A LOT better than Union location. I had a Rib-Eye with shrimp and avocado...really great. Not a fan of the Union location, but I will hit up the Perkins one for Margaritas and steaks.
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Cozymel's on Poplar is a goner. Went to Backyard Burger instead. Not recommended if you want to get what you ordered.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Cozymel's closed? Good to know.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 8:43 am

the Hispanic owners of Los Compadres were the owners of Mi Pueblo and El Toro Loco. Their less popular Cuban partners split from them and kept the Los Compadres name, but they lost the location and most of the staff to the favored Hispanic owners.

that's the exact same story we got from the waiter at el toro loco (tomas, i think?) the other night. i was wondering where all the los compadres waiters were; turns out they're all at el toro loco.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:40 am | Edited by: eric o

Casablanca or Casa Grill is gone... moved? Out from the spot next to Goner, at least.

Reports of Sweetgrass packing 'em in!

Maya's still good. Ellen's still not open.

Some kinda New Orleans theme bar/grill out where Cherokee Lanes used to be. Have not investigated.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

I give this a big fat NO. I went a few months back with a friend and her family. There were 5 of us. My food came out 30 minutes before the rest of the table and when I asked the server to reheat my food he told me I should have eaten my food when he brought it! It still makes me mad. They should have brought me an entire new meal and comped my meal. Instead they headed my food in a microwave and I could not even eat it it was so disgusting. He never refreshed our drinks, I had to go to the bar to get a second margarita.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am | Edited by: luteinizer

PS Asiana Garden is still the shit.
The kwik Checks sad attempt at korean seafood pancake made me upset.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

The kwik Checks sad attempt at korean seafood pancake made me upset.

dang!
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm | Edited by: rayultine

Casablanca or Casa Grill is gone... moved? Out from the spot next to Goner, at least.
Owner told me they were moving to East Memphis somewhere. Oh yep, website is updated:
We are located at 5030 Poplar Avenue Suite 7, right between Whole Foods and the i-bank tower in East Memphis.

Goner expansion!?
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 12:17 am

The kwik Checks sad attempt at korean seafood pancake made me upset

yes.

anyone been to the Korean spot next to the Winchester Bowl? Good?
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 8:14 am

Had some hot tamales at a joint out at KIrby and Winchester called Hatties Tamales. The family has been making them for about 50 years and they have soldem at Lauderdale and Trigg since back in the day. They have beef, pork and turkey and all are tasty. Its on Kirby right near the Winchester Farmers Market(international food grocery) in a little strip mall on the east side of the street. Real deal southern hot tamales. Douse with some hot sauce and eat with a sleeve of saltines. Beer.
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 12:07 pm

I had the carne asada at the new Los Compadres, and while it was not inedible, it was certainly sub-optimal. My El Toro Loco experience was much better.
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 1:28 pm

my experience yesterday at a nameless hot wing place was that asking about every other item on the menu was :"We outta dat" "Ain't got nay'un" or "Ain't got dat neither". Jesus.This happens a lot more than just occasionally. The ultimate was at Jack Pirtle's when they greeted me with "We outta chicken!".
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 2:44 pm

anybody been to fuel? i think thats what is in the old hatleys garage, petra etc
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Some kinda New Orleans theme bar/grill out where Cherokee Lanes used to be.

name is WHO DAT!
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 4:46 pm

name is WHO DAT!

There was a Who Dat! booth at Wingfest. Totally underwhelming.
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Went to El Toro Loco for lunch today, ordered chicken torta, got steak torta by misake and it was the best thing I've ever had at Los Compadres or El Toro Loco. El Toro Loco wins!
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Has anyone been to the Whole Hog BBQ out East, I think it's at Quince and RIdgeway? The one in Jonesboro has a pretty decent chopped pork sandwich.
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

pretty sure that's the one that's grew out of my dad in laws bbq team, haven't eatn there though, can't think of the name of the team something rednecks
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:23 am

I went to Sweetgrass last night. The place was packed, so the service kind of suffered. The chef came by at the end and apologized.

I had the oyster stew and the pork osso bucco, with the sour cream apple pie. My pores smell like butter and gravy this morning, but everything was good.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 5:34 pm

ellens looks to be open!
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Had a good buffalo burger at Fuel today, and their fries were excellent. I was tempted to try to the chicken-fried buffalo steak, but it was too pricey.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 8:41 pm

The hot-and-spicy Bun Bo Hue noodles at Shanghai are kicking my ass lately. Ate them twice in a week.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:42 pm

shanghai is on the north side of poplar across from pho vietnam? haven't been there in years.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Damn...anyone know the hours at Ellens?
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Let me clarify... OPEN sign was on... one car in the parking lot. Lights on inside. Could not investigate further Sunday.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm

me and v ate at jerusalem today. in the time it takes to drive out there, order, eat and then drive home; it is still faster than al rayan.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 5:26 pm

it is! dang!

not a big fan of anything there except the pita bread now, though. Last few times have been pretty bland.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Eric O,

yes, that Shanghai! The two younger girls who work there have blossomed into fine womanhood. The food is still great, esp the Bun Bo Hue that I mentioned and the Tom Yun soups.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 9:54 am

THe chicken fried bison at Fuel is really really good and you get a good amount of food for the price.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am

Has anyone been to the Whole Hog BBQ out East, I think it's at Quince and RIdgeway? The one in Jonesboro has a pretty decent chopped pork sandwich.

All I gotta say, is that when I go to a BBQ joint and they have 8 different Sauces, I get suspicious...
So, I gotta say no on the Whole Hog. Twasn't to my liking.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 2:09 pm

i've only eaten at the Whole Hog in Little Rock (99% sure it's the same folks?) and it was some of the best bbq ribs i've had.
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 10:24 am

Stopped by Ellen's for some info today... they are indeed OPEN!

634 S. Bellevue Suite 103 & 104 off of Lamar.

There's a sign on the street, but no sign other than an OPEN sign in the window. You'll figure it out.

Cook said they were open noon til 8 every day but they've been open earlier when I've gone by. Maybe 10-8.

Not doing breakfast yet but will, soon.

Flyer has these hours:

Breakfast: 8-9:30
Lunch 10-2
Dinner 2-8

Phone: 901-552-3477 or 901-463-4373
Fax 901-552-3499

Spread the word! They need some peoples in that joint!
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 11:48 am

i've only eaten at the Whole Hog in Little Rock (99% sure it's the same folks?) and it was some of the best bbq ribs i've had.

To be fair, the only one that I ever ate at was in Cordova. This was not long after they opened, so I may have had a bad batch of something. I stand by my "Too Many Sauces" idea. For them to franchise and expand like they are, then something must be going right. What do I know.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 5:20 am

Saw a BBQ trailer parked at mt Moriah extd and ridgeway last night with a line full of folks waiting and a bunch of nice smelling smoke comin out of it, thinking I'm gonna have to try it
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 7:58 am

i totally hear you re sauces. and franchises have a long history of not living up to originals.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 10:14 am

All I gotta say, is that when I go to a BBQ joint and they have 8 different Sauces, I get suspicious...

amen.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:24 pm

For them to franchise and expand like they are, then something must be going right. What do I know.

Trust your BBQ instincts, the place is nothing special.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Las Delicias for lunch today. Chorizo taco w/cheese was good, guac was good, steak torta was probably correct, but it didn't excite me as I didn't like the bread.
The service has improved tremendously.
Posted: May 1, 2010 3:52 pm

Ellen's is open and good!
Posted: May 2, 2010 9:44 pm

Ellen's chicken tonight

Chicken was excellent, sides - spinach, mac & cheese - were a little weird. Maybe still working out the kinks & breaking in the kitchen. Will be back to investigate further.
Posted: May 5, 2010 10:05 pm

Had business in Germantown and finally went to Los T / Deli Mexicana.
HELL YES.
Pepe was enthusiastic, but he should be. It's good stuff.
Posted: May 7, 2010 12:16 pm

Ate at Whole Hog Cafe today on Quince. Had the pulled chicken sandwich and it was ok. Nothing special, but the sauces they have on the table are damn good. I think there are like 6 of them. The chick workin the counter has her cleavage pierced with some sort of shiny stone.
Posted: May 7, 2010 2:35 pm

went to the Vietnamese Bistro today. whole menu looks great. standards and things i've never seen before- green papaya salad, lotus root salad. had the lotus root and some egg rolls, both excellent. same prices as Pho Vietnam or Saigon Le. lots of windows, good view of Cleveland/Poplar...think this place might top My Thanh
Posted: May 7, 2010 3:01 pm

think this place might top My Thanh

blasphemy. my thanh for ever.
Posted: May 9, 2010 12:01 am

I had breakfast at Brother Junipers with Dad the other day. We didn't have number ones (sorry, Shruwz), but I was pretty happy with the ham and cheddar omelet, home fries, and coffee. I plan to go again tomorrow.
Posted: May 9, 2010 9:32 am

Love that lamb, spinach and feta omelet at Bro Junipers.
Posted: May 11, 2010 3:57 pm

this may be a niave question, but is rendezvous BarBque an overpriced horrible tourist trap? I have always figured it was, just because anyplace too many "normal" people like is always that way. but then again, maybe its worth a try? help please. and yes, I love paynes and tops.
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:03 pm

It is pricey and there alot of tourists there for sure. They have dry ribs there which make no sense to me, but I do like their sausage and chees e plate. Been there a long time and I guess its kinda cool inside. Beers cold. There are way to many other bbq joints to go to other than there so why bother.
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

i don't mind dry rub ribs, but can't stand dry ribs, which is what i got there
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Saw 2 new places this week. A new African joint out on Millbranch on the way to Uncle Lous and a new place called The Babylon Restaurant. Looks to be middle eastern stuff. Its on Mendenhall just north of Summer sorta behind that matress place.
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:13 pm

what is the best Bar B que place in memphis now then? lets get a vote here.
Posted: May 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Payne's sandwich! Cozy Corner ribs!
Posted: May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I second Scott!
Posted: May 12, 2010 8:46 pm

lamb riblets at the Rendezvous are great
the pork ribs are marinated and charcoal grilled, so it's different than a long smoke. 3 out of 4 times they're great, as long as you don't go in expecting something like cozy corner. The half rack is a rip off, but the full rack is a good deal.
Posted: May 12, 2010 9:13 pm

just did the Vietnamese Bistro on Cleveland and it was good... like Sam said, different stuff on the menu from the other Vietnamese stuff. Like the Fish / Tomato soup J9 had, that came with egg patties and huge chunks of black liver. Weird.

Egg rolls and Spring rolls were excellent. Lots of new stuff to try.

Plus we met Miss Muffin, who makes killer cakes out in Germantown and is the nicest lady ever. Must be related to the owners of the Bistro or something - her daughter is working there.

Anyway, service was good, people were super-friendly. Won't turn into a pool hall within weeks. I say check it out.
Posted: May 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Miss Muffin, who makes killer cakes out in Germantown and is the nicest lady ever.

sampled one of Miss Muffins cake the other day. soooo goooood!
Posted: May 18, 2010 4:38 pm

just did the Vietnamese Bistro on Cleveland and it was good... like Sam said, different stuff on the menu from the other Vietnamese stuff.

Had a hilarious conversation with the owner of Petra's/Kwik Check last night about chicken feet (which Vietnamese Bistro sells apparently.)
I just came back from a trip to China and all I can say about eating chicken feet is: BUYER BEWARE
Posted: May 21, 2010 11:18 am

Checked out Taqueria Garibaldi today. They had the tastiest, fiery, freshest salsa verde I have ever eaten. Very good and the chicken burrito was happenin as well. Worth tryin. Head out Summer just east of Graham on the right side almost to Tops. Ya gotta ask for the salsa verde.
Posted: May 21, 2010 1:26 pm | Edited by: eric o

that's the joint in the old taco bell building, right? I had it a while back and it was solid. Didn't get the green stuff. Will go back.

Did the Bistro again and dang it was tasteeee! Wait staff is teenage kids & could learn some skills, but the food rocked. Had Lemongrass Tofu (they might not be used to cooking tofu so much, but the sauce / spices were awesome) and pork vermicelli. Not the same old - same old.
Posted: May 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes..in the old taco bell building. Man that verde was the shit. Bought a big thing of it for soccer festivities tomorrow afternoon.
Posted: May 28, 2010 11:00 pm

'went to Au Fond this a.m. Sam and I each ordered an egg scramble dish. It seemed super cheap. A guy brought us a plate, but he didn't know what it was. He never came back. Sam ate it, because it more closely fit the description of what Sam had ordered than what I ordered.
We left, and I took the kids to Las Delicias, where the rest ( four ) of us ate for less than Sam's meal at Au Fond. By then, it was lunch rush. The service was great. I had the egg and cheese torta. It is a perfect late breakfast.
We went out to Mt. Olive on Dexter tonight. It is a market with a halal deli in the back. It was the best babaganoush I ever had. Everything was extra olive oily and not too garlicky. They have crazy cookies there, and they also sell that bread they serve at Ethiopian restaurants.
Posted: May 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Yeah, Mt. Olive is killer. They have a guy playing the oud (kinda an Egyptian lute) on Sunday nights. The retail grocery stuff is priced well, too.
Posted: May 31, 2010 1:54 am

worst meal i've had in my almost 3 years in Memphis was sushi at Edo last weekend. everything, save the salmon skin hand roll, was barely edible. never had worse tuna in my life. that place totally blows.
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 7:42 am

Yeah...Edo is one of those places thats "hip" to go to I guess cause its been there for years, out of the way etc.. Ive never had anything worth a shit there. Pretty depressing place actually!
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 9:49 am

I like some stuff at Edo, but I ypically don't go near the sushi
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:18 am

Hey Sambeaux or dw....
I want to know more about your most recent restaurant experience. Four out of five of you all barfing? wow.
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:50 am

Asiana Gardens: hole in the wall korean joint at hickory hill and mt moriah...bibimbop in hot stone bowl=delish!

the nawlins dog at ecclectic rocks

had some awesome swordfish sushi at umai the other night too. slow but worth any wait.
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 1:49 pm | Edited by: eric o

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 1:53 pm | Edited by: colin

hell yes.....they arent fuckin around man! What did you have?
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 2:17 pm

i had the steak with jalapenos... great but not as visually exciting as Zac's taco. Hoppe had some cheese-covered 3 meat dish that looked kinda too cheesy.

Other weekend dining: Asiana Gardens- fantastic as always (kal bi!), and Trolley Stop pizza is not messing around.
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Nice to hear about Trolley Stop. Really want to get by there soon. Bought any groceries there?
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Las Delicias: went there last week. Terrible service/good food. Try not to get the cute waitress(owners daughter in law). All the other waitresses were bustin a move but her.

Cajun Catfish Company: went there today and had a pretty tasty Crab Pot. about a pound of healthy legs, some sausage, potatoes, bread, corn. $14.95 or $10.95 on Tuesdays. they have the same with 3/4 lb of large shrimp too. Also, they have all you can eat catfish, chicken n shrimp there like everyday and night.

Humdingers: Very good and cheap fish selections. Great greek cabbage salad and the roasted pepper/gouda soup on Friday's is some damn fine soup.
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Bought any groceries there?

I got some great peaches and green beans there back in June, but I went back by there for a slice of pizza yesterday, and all the produce was covered in mold and/or going over. I mean, I know heirloom tomatoes are supposed to ugly, but this was like visible black rot.

Has anyone checked out the new pizza spot in the old High Point Pinch?
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Humdingers: Very good and cheap fish selections. Great greek cabbage salad and the roasted pepper/gouda soup on Friday's is some damn fine soup.

I was going to mention this place. Don't let the location (way east on Poplar near Kirby, behind the Chick-Fil-A) be a deterrent. We've been there twice in the last month.
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Has anyone checked out the new pizza spot in the old High Point Pinch?

heard from my sister in law that it is really good.
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Don't let the location (way east on Poplar near Kirby, behind the Chick-Fil-A) be a deterrent.

There's one out on Germantown Pkwy too. I think it's owned by whoever owns Moe's (Pepsi co.?). It's not bad though, better than Moe's.

Hey Sambeaux or dw....
I want to know more about your most recent restaurant experience. Four out of five of you all barfing? wow.

Bombay House, showed up at the end of breaktime (they stop serving between 3 and 5), 5 on the dot. We were the only ones there. dw figures they served us old rice because they didn't have time to make new rice (that kind of food poisoning only takes 1 to 6 hours to incubate) -it was the only thing that all four of us ate... I got a call that our 3 yr old was barfing during Richard's solo introduction to Tonight, we made that our last song and by the time I got my amp into the parking lot, I was hurling all over the place. I got home and our 4 yr old and dw followed thereafter. I'm still sore from all the retching. They said we could comeback for a free meal though!
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 3:52 pm

They said we could comeback for a free meal though!

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be RUSHING over there for that.
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 11:24 pm

There was a Who Dat! booth at Wingfest. Totally underwhelming.

my favorite was Wing Tang Clan.
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 11:26 pm

name not quality...dont remember what it tasted like
Posted: Jul 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the details, Sambeaux. So sorry for y'all, but just chalk it up to the fact that you've done a noble community service!
Posted: Jul 21, 2010 8:11 pm

New Mexico on stratford/covington pike. yes, it's split with a bp station, whatever. but i had the lamb tacos for lunch today and they were delicious!

going to try the new place in the old taco bell on summer tomorrow.
Posted: Jul 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I was hurling all over the place

True Sons of Chunder
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®