| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 3:00 am | Edited by: redbone

Tune your fucking guitars already!

It doesn't make you cool.

It doesn't make you punk.

It makes you suck even more.

You know who you are!
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 8:10 pm

tune it for them. sometimes we just don't have what it takes, but we want to do it anyways.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 2:21 am

Tune your face, faggot.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 2:12 am

I seem to have hit a nerve.

OK. Lesson 1.

a) BUY A FUCKING TUNER!

b) USE IT!

c) suck less.

It's simple really. No, actually it's not simple. It goes deeper than making the needle or blinking lights stop in the middle.

Flatten the thirds of your major chords just a bit. Sharpen the fifths of all your major chords. Etc... Equal tempered scales are for pussy keyboard players.

Your friends will thank you.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 2:33 am

Fifths?
Scales?
Tuner?

What fucking moon language are you speaking?
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 4:26 am

just sayin'
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 7:19 am

fag
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 9:46 am

Total.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 9:46 am

I've never understood why everyone says Organ Thief sucks and is out of tune? Egypt Central, too. Is that who you're talking about? If so, get over it, dude!

They sound all right to me! Come on Memphis, support your local music!
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 11:48 am

Redbone told me that he hates NIGGERS.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm | Edited by: redbone

No. I'm talking about quite a few bands that get their dick's sucked on this board regularly.

Calling someone with knowledge a fag...how Tennessee republican of you. You probably think the world is only 6000 years old as well.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 2:47 pm

someone with knowledge

You meant opinion, right?
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm

I play guitars with Floyd Roses. Not so I stay in tune, but to keep my whammy bar histrionics from accidentally making my guitar go in tune.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 3:16 pm

What band are you in, pussy?
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Hmmm... People that come on public message boards to anonymously hurl insults at people have some real jealously and insecurity issues.

Either that or they just want to create a stir out of serious boredom.

Sad either way really.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

You probably think the world is only 6000 years old as well.

It's that old?
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 3:49 pm

What band are you in, pussy?

Sam's right. C'mon Cap'n Knowledge, what band are you in? How would we, the unwashed masses, otherwise know of your superior guitar tuning techniques? What, in fact, is your name? If you can't answer at least one (if not all three) of those questions, you probably shouldn't be coming to Memphis and giving people advice on what makes Rock and Roll sound good, faggot.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 4:36 pm

So glad to hear you enjoyed the show at Murphy's on Sunday,
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

My name's Jason Poff. I actually played with organ thief for a bit.

Joseph T, I mean knowledge. Opinion is thinking something sucks because it's out of tune. Knowledge of music theory is not opinion.

Here's a link to the band I played with before moving here.

http://www.myspace.com/stegorocks

I will now prepare myself for the many insults sure to follow.

I'm not anonymously insulting people. I'm even courteous enough to not name names. I like more than a few of the bands I'm referring to. I just wish they'd fucking play in tune.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Miss linda's a better guitar player than you, and she's always DRUNK!
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm

WAY better
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 9:54 pm

always DRUNK!
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Mr. Poff, I have a theory that your band is just awful.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Too busy being in tune to bother with rock?
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 10:51 pm

No. Give him a break. He actually owned up, and he's intitled to his opinion. He hasn't said specifically who he's talking about, and the fact of the matter is there's mrs than one band out there that could stand to be slightly more in tune. My biggest problem is with anonomous posters telling us all how to do it right with no frame of reference. This guy may not be right, but he's alright.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 1:21 am

I'm talking about quite a few bands that get their dick's sucked on this board regularly.

Really? This is what I don't get, faggot. Are you upset your band isn't getting its dick sucked enough on this board or else where? Or are you mad that other people don't want to suck the same dicks that you like to suck?

What do you even care? People like bands you don't. Big fucking deal.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 2:02 am

How old are you? For fuck's sake!

I'm neither mad nor upset. Unlike you.

I said I liked more than a few of the bands I was talking about.

I want to like them more. Yes, Memphis is a great music town, but the way I see it, a lot of people with real talent are phoning it in and resting on the "It's cool because it's from Memphis' schtick that makes me want to puke.

Some of you are a little over defensive I think. Stop reading if it pisses you off so much.

Thanks for being real Scott.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:15 am

Anybody remember Copout's constant tuning (at FULL SPINAL TAP LEVELS OF VOLUME) ?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am

This guy may not be right, but he's alright.

No, this dude is not "alright". Cole from Tupelo is alright, this dude is a douche.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am | Edited by: kelleybean

I'm neither mad nor upset. Unlike you.

You may not be mad or upset but you posted this to get a rise out of someone (or everyone) just in the way you presented it in a very antagonistic manner. If you think telling people to "suck less" is constructive criticism then you are wrong. You posted this to piss people off and it worked. Good job! Way to be so negative!

Cole from Tupelo is alright, this dude is a douche.

Agreed. If you are new in town and are trying to make friends here Redbone you are doing it the wrong way.

To borrow your turn of phrase Redbone: Your attitude doesn't make you cool, it doesn't make you punk rock, it makes you suck even more.

Sorry for the mommy sounding tyrade fellas. Carry on.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 11:23 am

Someone made a doody in the sandbox...
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

ok then.

it's more like someone spreading sand over your shitbox.

fuck off goner
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 3:22 pm

the OBLIVIANS were never in tune. and they were/are GREAT!
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

fuck off goner

I'M SERIOUS!!!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:49 pm

This guy may not be right, but he's alright.

Hey Scott, did you catch him being a tool over here?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Either that or they just want to create a stir out of serious boredom.

AMEN!!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Hey where do ya go to get yer cock sucked on this message board? I mean, have you seen my resume?!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:46 am

No, Sam, I hadn't seen all that. It's all but impossilbe for me to notice someone else's douchebaggery on a Chico Harris thread.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Hey redbone,
I don't think those bands give a fuck if they're in tune, or if you even like their music.

It doesn't make you cool.

It doesn't make you punk.

I'm pretty shure they couldn't care less about that either.

Believe me.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 12:23 pm

If you're gonna be a "cool" punk rocker, you gotta drink a-lot-a whiskey,& wear ladies wigs.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 12:51 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:01 pm | Edited by: Cole

I saw that dude open up for Alice Cooper when I was like 12! He was in tune.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:14 pm

I know of an "I love it loud"(live) video that proves otherwise,

the important part is the alcoholic drag.

marky ramone, lux interior, bon scott, the list goes on, and on.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:40 pm

"I don't want people to like us."

-Eric Friedl
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:20 pm

hey redbone, have you ever tried to tune a banjitar?
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:48 pm

He's a banjitar master! Plays one in his cover band at the cool clubs out East.

Lighten up, Jason. It's only rock and roll. The MGs were out of tune, and they were just fine.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:05 pm

"I consider tuning a decadent practice associated with Europeans and homosexuals."
-Jim Dickinson
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 9:32 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

"I consider tuning a decadent practice associated with Europeans and homosexuals."

Elton John: gay, European, alcoholic, always in tune.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:37 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

-Jim Dickinson

Im gonna hi-jack this thread because Redbone is right, theres a buncha out of tune dudes in this town, and other folks are right in that redbone's band is lame...okay, thats settled....I wanna move on to Jim Dickinson...first let me issue this caveat, this is out of no disrespect to a dead man or his surviving kin, and although I never met him I have heard he was a great dude...but what, REALLY did Jim do? Please answer this...ok, he "produced" some Big Star stuff (Im thinking Jody's ears had more to do with the production of Big Star than any one else)...he supposedly played some piano on a Rolling Stones track in which I hear no piano...he recorded "Dixie Fried", which IMO sucks balls...he played in the Dixie Flyers for tiny bit...but how did he become some Memphis musical idol? I have yet to see this incredible body of work that makes him a stalwart in this town. I know I am probably making myself even more disliked than I already am by asking these questions...but I DONT GET IT, seriously. Please school me
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:50 am

I just want more King Missle references.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 11:52 am

I have yet to see this incredible body of work that makes him a stalwart in this town.
Well, this IS a lot of work:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jim+Dickinson

For me, Dickinson and Mudboy kept a lot of "real" music happening in Memphis in the 70s, and bridged the gap between Elvis and what's going on now.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 1:04 pm

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jim+Dickinson

Wow, I had no idea about some of that. The Cramps stuff and the collaboration with Sonic Boom are missing too I think...
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 10:37 am

I just want more King Missle references.

I tune my Detachable Penis.
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 6:25 pm

but what, REALLY did Jim do?

He was a cultural virus, passing on a smidge of Memphis DNA to anyone who met, heard or spoke to him, even if you didn't recognise it at the time.

He made connections: between people, places and cultures.

Oh, and he made some damn fine music, most of which is quite hard to find (are you looking hard enough?), but more in tune with the universe than it is with some hokey system of relative pitch.

Shit, isn't that enough?
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 7:04 pm

he played toy piano on a Scruffy The Cat record - i don't feel so bad about admitting it now but there for a couple of months back in the late 80's i got really into scruffy the cat
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 7:30 pm

there are worse things to feel bad about (i think,was never into them, HA) but my wife has some
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 6:49 am

I have to say I'm shocked to see Joel weighing in on the side of being out of tune

"Tuning is the hobgoblin of small minds."
-Alex Chilton
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 9:58 am

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for being real Scott.

redbone's your boyfriend
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 3:31 am | Edited by: redbone

Come on Joel. You're forced to listen to some of the bands I'm talking about. The MG's they're not.

But really it's not a big deal. I just like pushing Memphis' buttons.

Especially since I no longer live in the shithole.

Eat your heart out true blue Memphian rockers.

It's hard to get all bent out of shape when you live here.

I owe it all to playing in tune. Thanks for helping me do that Joel. You do nice work.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen

Beans don't burn on the grill...
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 3:41 am

I almost forgot!

Go Wildcats!
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 9:53 am

Especially since I no longer live in the shithole

Good riddance.

It's hard to get all bent out of shape when you live here.

Yet you still take the time to come on here. Bored already, huh? Trouble in paradise?

Best of luck to you Redbone!
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Yet you still take the time to come on here. Bored already, huh? Trouble in paradise?

Read much dumbass?

But really it's not a big deal. I just like pushing Memphis' buttons.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

Ooooo namecalling! I guess it wasn't hard to get you bent out of shape after all.

Best of luck to you redbone!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Oh yeah. You "got" me.

Trust me. I don't have to get bent out of shape to call someone a dumbass when they're being a dumbass.

I also call the sky blue on a clear day...

Best of luck to you dumbass.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Besides that discogs.com Jim Dickinson link above - there is also this:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/wdd/jimdickinson.htm

I think most of you will agree that this pretty much speaks for itself....................
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 5:20 pm

Oh yeah. You "got" me.

Trust me. I don't have to get bent out of shape to call someone a dumbass when they're being a dumbass.

I also call the sky blue on a clear day...

Best of luck to you dumbass.

You're the dumbass.

But an entertaining one.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Everytime you post,
I can't wait to see what it says!!

An obvious trainwreck.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 5:36 pm | Edited by: kelleybean

But an entertaining one

Thats the truth! I know you aren't supposed to "feed the troll" but it is really hard to resist isn't it?
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:07 pm

I can't tell if any of these Memphis bands are in tune or not and who the fuck cares when this bitch is flatly screaming a classic and is doing a severe disservice to the memories of Luther and Teddy:

(Just bringing back around to some shit that really matters right now. You are welcome, SAMBEAUX!!!)
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I can't watch this at work, is it Basketball Jones?
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm always in tune,
that's why I got kicked out of T.S.O.T.

I'm also loud, and argumentative.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:37 pm

Kole the hippie 1945 sucks, and so does T.S.O.T.

I'm better just by wankin' up in the morning
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:38 pm

potential exceeds effort
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Hatred of hippies also points out it's advantage for superior Rock-n-roll.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Redbone, I'm Jeff Gunn,and I HATE YOUR R&R Band!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 7:57 pm | Edited by: misslinda

better musician too
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 7:59 pm

can't play drums like Tony, otherwise I'm a KING!!!!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

You did? That band is dead to me now.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I requested from abe (it was his stupid idea for me to play in the band)if we could tune our guitars, and have a set-list.
This is when he informed me that I was kicked out of the band.
Evidently eric, joe, sam, and richard have a group-think idea that their talent, or retarded group-think opinion about me, is adjacent from mine. I tried to help their band, and they obviously have tone-deaf ears.

I am superior, and they don't like it.
I should not have joined them, this is a case of my faulty judgement.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I am a wonderful guitarist!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Did Slash need Guns n Roses? Did Ike need Tina? Did Sonny need Cher? Did Oats need Hall? Clearly, you don't need those losers. You sir, have presence.
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 2:22 pm

misslinda, are there parts of the end of this thread that aren't visible to me?
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 2:38 pm

JACKBALLERS!
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

SAMBEAUX, no not anywhere as great as "Bassaball Jones" (whoops! Was that "racist"?) and its endearing tunelessness, but Jennifer Hudson wrecking Luther V's and before him, Teddy P's "One Shining Moment"---the theme for the winner of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Oh yeah, this is saispas of course.
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Redbone, I'm Jeff Gunn,and I HATE YOUR R&R Band!!!!!!!!

Really?

I've met you before. A few years ago at Batty Natty's apartment on Court near Willet. You know...I'm the one who took shitty kitty off her hands.

It was after a gig I played at Neil's with the previously mentioned shitty band. You were sucking my dick pretty hard that night.

Or maybe you had to much Burger King...

Or maybe it was the blow crumbs falling out of your nose...

Like I said, I don't give a fuck.

Just calling you on your bullshit.
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I think I know who you are now, Redbone. Hee hee hee
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:04 am

I can't get the goddamn "Jeffersons" theme song outa my head, thanks
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am

Miss Linda on cocaine is not the Moonage Dicksucking Daydream that you have suggested.
"You were sucking my dick pretty hard that night. "
This sounds like it was a long time ago. Sometimes, the memory paints a pretty picture over an ugly one.
I have already forgotten what your band sounds like.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am

ok....

so?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 12:02 pm

So it sounds like being a "Friend of the Devil" didn't work out so well for you?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 12:36 pm

whatever
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:25 pm | Edited by: rayultine

even though I used to be a big fan of this thread, especially since i've never met any of you "IRL", redbone's brilliant retort of "whatever" that took him little more than a half hour to conceive is sadly the end.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:26 pm

WHATEVER INFINITY
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:47 pm

just a technical question:

Flatten the thirds of your major chords just a bit. Sharpen the fifths of all your major chords.

does this assume that you're playing all barre chords off of the E (or drop-tuned D) string up and down the neck, rather than open or power chords off of other strings?

just wondering.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 2:56 pm

I was going to augment this post with a pompous music theory pun but it would diminish the seriousness of the post so I will refrain.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:27 pm | Edited by: redbone

does this assume that you're playing all barre chords off of the E (or drop-tuned D) string up and down the neck, rather than open or power chords off of other strings?

just wondering.

It's more of a general statement that applies to any instrument that allows you to make such adjustments on the fly.

Say your guitar's intonation is setup as well as possible and you tune each open string until it's perfectly in tune.

Play a first position E major and it will sound a little off.

The third of the chord is the G# played at the first fret of the g string. If you strum the chord and flatten that string just a bit, you'll hear the oscillations slow down and eventually stop.

Check that G# on a tuner and it will say the note is flat but it sounds right...but only for an E major.

Now play a C major and that open G string which is now the fifth of the chord will sound VERY flat. It's always a compromise and that's why guitars are inherently out of tune. You have to find a balance where each chord is just a little out and get the rest of the way there with your fingers.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

even though I used to be a big fan of this thread, especially since i've never met any of you "IRL", redbone's brilliant retort of "whatever" that took him little more than a half hour to conceive is sadly the end.

I'm sorry I let you down. I'll try harder next time.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Sometimes, the memory paints a pretty picture over an ugly one.

There is nothing "pretty" about my memory of misslinda that night.

Nothing.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm | Edited by: jerryd

It's more of a general statement that applies to any instrument that allows you to make such adjustments on the fly.

Say your guitar's intonation is setup as well as possible and you tune each open string until it's perfectly in tune.

Play a first position E major and it will sound a little off.

The third of the chord is the G# played at the first fret of the g string. If you strum the chord and flatten that string just a bit, you'll hear the oscillations slow down and eventually stop.

Check that G# on a tuner and it will say the note is flat but it sounds right...but only for an E major.

Now play a C major and that open G string which is now the fifth of the chord will sound VERY flat. It's always a compromise and that's why guitars are inherently out of tune. You have to find a balance where each chord is just a little out and get the rest of the way there with your fingers

Who the fuck are you, G.E. Smith? Who has time for all that shit?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm

yeah dude you sound like a real chore to share a stage with fwiw
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Dude asked a question
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 3:56 pm

It's not time consuming. It happens automatically. Most do it without thinking about it.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:12 pm

so i don't get it. are you criticizing people that don't give a fuck? or are you criticizing people that sound like they are trying to give a fuck but don't have the decency to buy tuner pedals? or are you being a perfect pitch bitch who thinks if a guitar's intonation isn't carnegie hall-worthy than the wielder should die?

d) who cares?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm

It's not that hard.

There are some bands in Memphis that I like.

Some of them I would like a hell of a lot more if they didn't make my teeth hurt.

That's it.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:23 pm

d) who cares?

Obviously you care or you wouldn't still be here.

If you don't care, then don't read.

It's simple really.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

you are right. it isn't that hard. i re-read your original post and you are definitely in the "c)" category. get off the internet and go teach jazz guitar lessons instead of pretending you don't want scene handjobs.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

If you don't care, then don't read.

Why do i keep opening this up thinking it's something else?
the scab will keep bleeding if you keep picking it
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow.

You keep coming back.

Interesting.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm

like it or not a music scene is a popularity contest. you either have to kiss ass, be really charismatic, have the free booze/drugs, or you have to be fresh and talented. You sir, display none of these qualities yet you're still typing away. Digging your own grave. You're like the monkey at the zoo rubbing shit in your own face, and we are all the bystanders pointing and giggling. so hell yeah we keep coming back.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I do not live in Memphis.

I do not want you to like me.

What is so hard to understand?
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 2:07 pm

"In tune" is the new "gay", as in, "my new Morrissey cut is totally 'in tune'!"

Or "redbone is totally into 'tuning' dudes in the Guitar Center men's room."
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 2:39 pm

make my teeth hurt.

This is actually one of the goals of my band. I have a tuner, but i intentionally tune the higher pitched strings slightly off to make things sound worse. Makes it hard to ignore.
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 3:50 pm | Edited by: bruce

sambeaux, you're hair is definately in tune with your inner self, time to fly the rainbow flag
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 4:17 pm

misslinda, are there parts of the end of this thread that aren't visible to me?

fuck you idiot
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 4:25 pm | Edited by: misslinda

I've met you before. A few years ago at Batty Natty's apartment on Court near Willet. You know...I'm the one who took shitty kitty off her hands.

It was after a gig I played at Neil's with the previously mentioned shitty band. You were sucking my dick pretty hard that night.

If I was at batty natties, evidently I was the only one getting his dick sucked over there,well, that night anyway.
You must live in some kinda goddamn dream-world.
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm

like it or not a music scene is a popularity contest. you either have to kiss ass, be really charismatic, have the free booze/drugs, or you have to be fresh and talented.

That dosn't mean the band is good. Raid, Lucero, and K-9 arts are some great examples of how stupid all of you group-think, "in"croud idiot types tend to be.
In the past the memphis music scene ultimately came down to a whole lotta dumb broads talking on the telephone about what they were gonna wear to the show that night, and god forbid they show up before 10:30!!

Now there's a bunch of goddamn hippies to deal with all over again with brand new terrible taste in music.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®