Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Fuck a bag of Folk Alliance
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 4:21 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

It is a conference (that charges as multiple gigs)?
A "band" has to pay 350 to 400 bones to "play" to "teach" regular gigs "how-to-play" the 1-4-5's?
Fuck that.
Stay in your home town, wait for a festival to (get this) pay you to "come on down" instead.
Folkies? You bought your tickets for the plane. You paid for the hotel room. And now you got to pay to play (again, 350 - 400?) to be a "contributor" to the "Fest". You want to have your wife see you? Choke up $150 on your "guest list?
Is this really how this shit runs?
Folk Alliance sounds like King Willie is running it.
Don't do it. Wait until your good act is ready to be paid by a local Fest.
Folk Alliance reads (from their website and event) like it is everything wrong with music, for musicians.
Enlighten me, Folk Alliance, and tell me where I'm wrong. Encourage bands to come to Memphis and pay them.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 5:40 pm

I know quite a bit about vanity recording and performing, but this scam sounds better than an online poetry competition where it only costs $50 to submit a poem. Pay to play is how my "(non)career in da biz" has run so far and this whole event seems to exemplify that worthy performance ethos. I simply must get a ukelele and contact Judy Peiser about doing a workshop or two during the event. I'll put it in my gig bag and take the trolley downtown. Ah, this is Memphis to me.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 6:21 pm | Edited by: kol 1945

yeh it realbad

2yrs ago we did this:
http://www.myspace.com/axisoffolk

long live the Axis of Folk
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

we have a similar thing here called Millinium fest where the bands pay like $250 dollars to be in the "fest". CMJ is the same racket.
It's all a racket.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 7:14 pm

i like tennis
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm

"teach" regular gigs "how-to-play" the 1-4-5's?

Trust me, no one would ever pay for that.
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 8:11 am

Trust me, no one would ever pay for that.

Especially the cove
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Folk = James Taylor
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 2:36 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

JPK, I wasn't talking about your band.
1-4-5s in the theory sense.
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 2:52 pm

JPK, I wasn't talking about your band.

I know. I was trying to make a little ha-ha.
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Folk = James Taylor

ever listened to james taylor on weed?
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm

he smokes weed?
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 4:10 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I've only been to the thing once in the years that it has been running, but I worked sound at a small gig (and got paid). I guess I just never realized that these bands had to pay to be a part of it. The bands I did were actually from o.k. to pretty good. The place was packed and they sold some cds, I guess. But otherwise, if they want to sell throughout the festival they have to pay even more for a "booth" or some-such with a "special price" for "members"?
Overall, I don't mind the folkies coming down to play at all; they get exposure to this city and the other "members" from out of town pumping money into the economy. But this pay-to-play/pay-to-sell thing (in my humble opinion) is an insult to these artists. Like some FA dude anounces the folkie onto the stage, asks the crowd to give a "warm welcome to..", gives a friendly slap on the back while secretly planting a paper sign with tape that reads "SUCKER."
I don't think the folkies would get to play to as big of crowds, but I think they could probably come out better (financially) driving down here and playing a weeknight gig somewhere.
I guess the point is, you cannot "pay your dues in Memphis" via subscription.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:31 am

Just curious, why do you care? These bands are made up of adults arent they? They didnt have a gun put to their head to participate/pay...obviously someone's hustle is working. If they didnt want to pay, they wouldnt...I dont see the big deal/crime in this...
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

He just hates the way they act all smug, wearing their sweaters and drinking their red wine out of the appropriate glasses.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Jealous, I believe, is the word you're looking for, Sam.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Well, just sayin'...but I, as a visual artist, ALWAYS have to "pay to play".
I'm used to it. As someone who's not good (or relevant, or out there, or reclusive, or connected, or whatever) enough to be shown in the few art galleries here, I have to purchase space in a "festival" for people to see my "art." Or, be involved with a group of artists (term used loosely for the most part - mostly craft artists - though they are artists in their own right) that I can show with a few times a year.

It's a quandry, and I imagine it is for the Folk Alliance artists too. Booth fees are an accepted part of me being able to show, but somehow it's wrong for musicians?
Don't get me wrong...I think it sucks all the way around. But still, the musicians here in Memphis get paid (however minimumly) to play, not pay to play. Wish it was the same for visual artists...
And if the Folk Alliance people (folk music ain't in real heavy rotation) have to pay well...
Though, I did hear that Willis Alan Ramsey was at one of those shows, and if HE had to pay well then...that's just blasphemy!

Just sayin...
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

the idea is they pay to play folk for important folks in the music industry - whether or not those folks are there or what they are capable of doing for someones's folk career, i dunno?

its all part of the folk alliance selling point or scam. somehow that thing is a non-profit. so they not only bank on scams like this but also get a good deal of taxpayer cash. there are salaried positions in non-profits (albeit there's a cap, but its safe to say the individuals make more money than most people on this board - if not a summed total of our salaries).

its terrible a thing like it exists. i have an personal/ethical problem with the folk alliance/sxsw/cmj and the likes, but even if youre not a commie, its pathetic, sad, stupid theyve convinced people to PAY MONEY TO PLAY MUSIC.

vomit vomit blah vomit etc.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am

SxSW actually pays bands. Granted it's VERY little or a wristband for all SXSW events (bands choice), and at SXSW a shitload of people will see you play even if it's just all of your musician friends from all over the country. PARTY!
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:24 am

I don't know about all the other stuff...but this is some bad ass shit right here...
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 2:06 pm

What I don't get about the Folk thing is how you have to pay to apply to showcase @ the festival, and then once accepted, you have to pay again to register to attend the festival that you are playing. . . that's really awful. SXSW is run a little more on the up and up.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Someone gave my boyfriend tickets to this one year; I didn't know the premise of the thing, but some local faves like Alvin Youngblood Hart and friends played, along with about 12 hotel floors filled up with miscellaneous acts from wherever just playing in their hotel rooms; some gimmicks drew a crowd. My date and I were dressed to the nines and were mistaken for the elusive folk musician bankrollers, which I guess is sad if that's what people were really looking for, but we had fun. It was a huge party and the halls were packed and people were passing around drugs and seemed to be having a great folksy time. It was fun. Though nothing like what you might expect if Gonerfest rented out a hotel for 3 days!
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

nothing like what you might expect if Gonerfest rented out a hotel for 3 days!

Lord have mercy.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 9:56 am

Have you been to the Artisan during Gonerfest?
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:39 am

artisan goner party mows over any folk party!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Have you been to the Artisan during Gonerfest?

ahh, yes, !

But I guess that's part of the original point of the thread to begin with... gonerfest has real venues for it's rock shows... folk hotel is poor in comparison. They're peas and green beans or something.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®