Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / 1950s Memphis
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:07 pm

If anyone is interested... some photos from the 1950s of Memphis. I know some of the locations but others are probably a parking lot or empty lot.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=154335&id=516076361&l=5eef92a6e7
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

i love all the architecture (R.I.P.) but the above ground pool and the julius lewis stuff are what really got me! classic!
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Looking at these pictures ,I noticed one really remarkable thing: THERE IS NO LITTER IN THE STREETS !
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm | Edited by: Snarky Doolittle

Looking at these pictures ,I noticed one really remarkable thing: THERE IS NO LITTER IN THE STREETS !

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=154335&id=516076361&l=5eef92a6e7 #!/photo.php?pid=3969058&id=516076361&l=5eef92a6e7

Just fallen trees and dirt! So much for nostalgia.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Those photos are awesome. Several tickle the back of my mind, but I can't place them yet.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Just fallen trees and dirt! So much for nostalgia.
That's nature's litter- not red bull cans, condoms, diapers or funyuns packages.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 4:42 pm

I've heard it alleged that as recently as 1980 Memphis was voted the cleanest city in America.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Amazing what can happen in a mere three decades.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 8:43 pm

I love these. And , yes, that Julius Lewis stuff is priceless...what a gorgeous midcentury building! Fashion Afloat!
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 9:16 pm

I love these. And , yes, that Julius Lewis stuff is priceless...what a gorgeous midcentury building! Fashion Afloat!

I used to beg my mom not to make me go in there.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I've heard it alleged that as recently as 1980 Memphis was voted the cleanest city in America.

Yeah, that was short lived.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am

um, really, um, no litter. but also... ...... ... no people. i counted 6.

it's more crowded now.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 2:51 am

The woman who took these told me she was trying take pictures of the some of the old houses that were being torn down by the 100s at the time. You don't see people in the picture because a lot the pictures are in the neighborhoods of north and south downtown which had been abandoned by this time. Most of these houses were vacant already.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 9:25 am

The woman who took these told me she was trying take pictures of the some of the old houses that were being torn down by the 100s at the time. You don't see people in the picture because a lot the pictures are in the neighborhoods of north and south downtown which had been abandoned by this time. Most of these houses were vacant already.

wow. that makes my stomach hurt to think about.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm

I used to beg my mom not to make me go in there.

My grandmom bought me a preppy Liz Claiborne ensemble at the East Memphis Julius Lewis in 9th grade and I returned every item and traded it all in for a pair of hot pink corduroy Guess zip ankle jeans! She was mortified.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 11:35 pm

some of the old houses that were being torn down by the 100s at the time.

Were some of these torn down for the interstate Downtown and maybe some near the 240 loop near Lamar Terrace? Some look like North Downtown while some others look like the homes that used to be all down Vance from just west of MIFA to 3rd.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 9:28 am

I think I saw a house on Mill that still standing (and was for sale recently) or at least a dead ringer for it, so that would be up town in Greenlaw. I'm wondering if some aren't in the Medical Center area, given the view of the Sterrick Building.

Maybe you've also got the land that became Hurt Village and Clearborne Homes.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 10:01 am | Edited by: saispas

I noticed a sign that mentioned new buildings in the Med Center area in one of the snaps...

Also the Vance idea would be about right as far as Cleaborne/Foote Homes goes but I think those were already built in the 50's? Maybe they were built in the early 50's though.
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm

actually, every time I've visited Memphis I've noticed the streets are clean or at least not littered.
some old guy downtown told me "it's cause we don't get a lot of wind here"
???
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 9:58 pm

gorgeous buildings !!!

um, really, um, no litter

in Japan people take tissues to go so far as wiping their children's fingerprints off of train windows.

fo real.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 9:27 am

Just saw these, and thought possibly some of the homes were on Union. I can remember huge houses that were still there in my childhood.

I grew up at 2367 Autumn - right across East Parkway from Overton Park. Our family home was torn down for the leg of I-40 that didn't happen. Many, many beautiful homes were torn down in that neighborhood - which I guess is considered Binghampton now, but not then.
Here's a picture of that house. I still miss it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/65487228/

Loved those photos...and the cars were bitchin'! Especially that suhweet station wagon in one of the first ones!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®