| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Willie Mitchell RIP
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 10:04 am

Sad news indeed
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 11:30 am

Whaaaaat?

Wow.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:11 pm | Edited by: Buck Wilders

What a loss. Truly terrible news. A last minute hour long tribute today on the Memphis Beat today at 1PM and a well thought out 2 hour tribute tomorrow night on In The Basement at 10PM. WEVL 89.9FM or WEVL.ORG
R.I.P. Poppa Willie.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:12 pm

Commercial Appeal Obit.

RIP Poppa Willie. What a mofo.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 2:09 pm

A very sad day. I met him a couple years ago at a reunion for guys who got their start at the old Plantation Inn in West Memphis (Isaac Hayes, Calvin Newborn, Floyd Newman, Wayne Jackson). He was incredibly nice to me as I struggled to come up with something memorable to say. I mumbled something about being thankful to him for making my life better. I don't think I've ever been more excited about meeting someone in my life. Such a cool guy.

The music he made is timeless. He'll be missed. RIP.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 5:54 pm

Aw, man.
RIP.
What a mofo.
About all I can think of to say.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 6:57 pm

here's a link to something I wrote earlier today:
http://www.memphisflyer.com/SingAllKinds/archives/2010/01/05/rip-poppa -willie-mitchell

RIP Poppa Willie, you will be missed...
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 7:23 pm

"he'd talk about the old days, reminiscing about ...the Beatles, who actually rehearsed at Royal before their 1964 U.S. tour."

Wow, I never heard about that.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 10:33 pm

yeah, Bill Black Combo was the opener, so they rehearsed at Royal!
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 1:34 pm

"he'd talk about the old days, reminiscing about ...the Beatles, who actually rehearsed at Royal before their 1964 U.S. tour."
I always heard the Beatles bought "revolvers" while they were over here and when they were practicing at Royal, they went up on the roof and started firing them into the air! Willie declared the rehearsal officially over.

A full 2 hour tribute to POPPA WILLIE MITCHELL tonight at 10PM.
Doing this one right with the help of Al, Ann, Don, Otis, O.V., Syl, and more. If I don't own any physical evidence that he produced it, I ain't playing it. Tons of killer sides of Willie's own tunes as well.
If in Memphis, tune to 89.9FM...
If your out of town, you can listen online at... http://www.wevl.org/
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 4:04 pm

A full 2 hour tribute to POPPA WILLIE MITCHELL tonight at 10PM.

I listened. Nice job.
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 10:51 am

part 2 of the tribute is this Wed.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®