| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / WINTER BLIZZARD TSUNAMI OF DEATH
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 12:24 pm

Are you prepared?
Overnight low Thursday? 9

That's right.
N-I-N-E.
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 3:52 pm

I forget... how low does it have to be to be considered a "Single Digit Low?" I think it's around there!
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 3:53 pm

go buy lots of bread and milk.

wtf do ppl do with all that bread and milk anyway....
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 3:59 pm

is -5 single digit?
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 4:24 pm

I used to want to go to strangle the weathermen when they would predict snow when I worked at Seessel's. I was the front end manager and would have to schedule the high school kids to come in when the weather was "possibly" bad. That meant parents would say no, kids would not come in, and I would be stuck ringing people up for hours. They would buy us out of milk, bread, eggs, canned goods, etc. Then, the next day, it would be 40 degrees and sunny. I hated it. And, I agree. What the hell do people do with all of the stuff they buy?
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:39 pm

Forecast for Friday night:
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:56 pm

thats crazy. it's only 28 here in pa. wow!
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:20 am

13 right now... sunny.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:47 am

there was a very bizarre weather segment on channel 5 last night -- they interviewed a 79-year old former janitor who got busted stealing power, and now he sleeps in his car because he'd freeze to death at home. he owes $1400 on the bill, and just when I thought folks would be mailing in money, they showed him pulling out a bottle of vodka!

[url=http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11768302][/url]

best line: The "old man" only has his car and a stiff drink to help him fight the "deep freeze."

love the quotes, Jason Miles!
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 11:45 am

best line: The "old man" only has his car and a stiff drink to help him fight the "deep freeze."

WOW!

I do remember walking home with a friend, wasted, from an apartment on N. Parkway where we had partied since leaving school early during that blizzard in 1986. We were drinking Jack out of the bottle to "stay warm". We then stopped at Rhodes College and used a hairdryer to warm ourselves before walking the rest of the way to Hallwood. It was the only time I seriously thought I was going to die.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 2:07 pm

West Memphis Kroger is pre-Apolcalypse Central.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 2:19 pm

That's right. Friday night is now 5.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 4:52 pm

HOPEFULLY THIS WON'T IMPEDE YOUR ENDLESS BITHDAY THREADS...
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 6:02 pm

that blizzard in 1986

Man, that was some shit. I still can't recall anything coming close to that. I was working out east, and it took me more than THREE HOURS to get to, yep, the Piggly Wiggly on Madison. There was so much snow in the parking lot by then that we got the car stuck on one of those parking divider things. Just flat out didn't see it, and ran right over it! I think we ended up getting between 8-12".
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 6:51 pm

Friday night's temp back up to 7.
Heat wave.

And I've decided it's not going to snow.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:07 pm

You're insane. We've been waiting YEARS for this...for it to snow and then get a blast of cold behind that to make it stay.
70-90%, buddy. Give it up!

But, it'll be those little dry flakes.
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:11 pm

No. 36 is the high tomorrow which means it will rain. Then, as temperatures fall, it will just be clear and cold.

I have spoken.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:40 am

that blizzard in 1986

Yeah, there was a foot; it started snowing around 10AM then didn't stop until sometime the next afternoon. Midtown was gorgeous--no cars and that cool orange glow from the streetlights. Willie Herenton refused to let us out of school (I was at Central) until like 1PM and by then, people could barely get their cars out of the Central track up that little hill. I had a rear-wheel drive Audi and was pushing people with my bumper--that car sucked for most things, but was great that day. Only flaw it would not automatically drive me home in snow and ice when I was annihilated for three days straight.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:42 am

I predict rain will start, then a "wintry mix", then finally snow and then freezing of all rain, wintry mix and snow. Rush hour Thursday will be an absolute nightmare and I will not leave my house.

I have rebutted.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:45 am

Oh, that Audi was a FRONT-wheel drive...duh.

http://www.cartype.com/pages/1889/audi_fox
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:51 am

was gonna say....

Drive layout
In all its post Volkswagen-era models, Audi has firmly refused to adopt the traditional rear-wheel drive layout favored by its two arch rivals Mercedes-Benz and BMW, favoring either front-wheel drive or all wheel drive.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 11:42 am

I had a rear-wheel drive Audi

Yeah - rear wheel drive sucks ass in snow. I had a Thunderbird in UT. It stayed parked a LOT.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 11:51 am

grocery store: check
hardware store: check
liquor store : check
Bring it on !
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 1:28 pm

I went to the cheap WM Walgreens yesterday because Andre Extra Dry is still on sale...Mimosas all day. Gotta drive to Forrest City in a bit...dear Snow Monster, please do not start up until after 6PM with none of your BS.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 2:19 pm

I loved the 1986 blizzard...I was a freshman in HS...I had just got some Iron maiden LPs and new video games and a week off of school. Good times.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 5:29 pm

No. 36 is the high tomorrow which means it will rain.
Air has been so cold it will be snow. It'll start after midnight. High Thursday 31. Low Thursday night...15!!!
Don't look for a lot of it, though. 1-2" at tops. Still, enough to make everyone GIDDY AND CRAZY!!!
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 5:30 pm

Hey! ^...That was me!
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 5:31 pm

It better fucking snow. I get to work from home if it does. And I've got Friday off. Cmon 4 day weekend!
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 6:36 pm

This thing's a bust.
It's all going to the north of us.
We're just gonna get a bunch of cold.
Friday is back down to 5.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 7:03 pm

This thing's a bust.

it's official we will now get over a foot of snow!!!!
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 7:10 pm

No.
I'm pretty sure TK looked at this thread, and it's all jinxed.
We might get a little rain.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 7:17 pm

Damn. I got caught up in snow fever, but I believe Jack is right.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 8:38 pm

Fuck Jack* and fuck the bluff. SNOW SLEET FREEZING RAIN! Let it snow, let it snow, good God almighty, let it snow.

*No insult to Jack intended.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:18 pm

I am beginning to side with Jack. This looks like a "dusting" and the max I'll be able to get away with is going in late.
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:30 pm

Fuck Jack* and fuck the bluff. SNOW SLEET FREEZING RAIN! Let it snow, let it snow, good God almighty, let it snow.

*No insult to Jack intended.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 12:48 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

The first wave of precipitation has breached the river and is now in the SE of the county.
Unfortunately, outside the garage says 35.4.
It's raining in Boxtown probably.

Chalk this up to Memphis Luck*.

*Memphis Luck: the model or pattern where an idea or event places a collective's or community's hope to an all time fervor, only to be dashed expertly by seemingly external forces. Bitterness ensues.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:10 am

Light snow right now.
But it's 34 degrees.
Ain't shit gonna happen.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:50 am

temp outside the garage holding steady at 34.9
humidity is rising in the last hour, however, from 47% to 49%
Light wintery mix in New Spain for the last 30 min.

This precip is from the moisture pulled from the gulf over the past day or two. Unfortunately, the "artic blast" is also pushing this precip to the south east in a line from Texarkana to the Missouri Bootheel.
The snow storms predicted in the days past are to the north. The stuff we're getting now is just "extra", and probably will last until the "blast's" leading edge passes us. And then, it still has to get below freezing before that happens to see anything significant.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 2:45 am

2:45am
still not dick
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 4:03 am

4:03am
extremely light dusting
but still not really dick
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 4:19 am

4:19am
actual flakes
vague accumulation
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 4:36 am

...still 34 degrees, however
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 5:17 am

5:17am
flakes are small again
slightly more accumulation
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 5:31 am

I decided to build the best snowman I could with what's available before the sun comes out and fucks it all up...
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6412/sdc10746t.jpg
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 5:39 am

Uh oh...29 degrees.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 6:21 am

That snowman is super cute!

Pfft...little bit of snow, but temps dropping. If the streets are wet it's going to be the demolition derby out there before too long.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:30 am

Jack Stands---you selected the wrong career. Perfect forecast. Still used what we got to delay my arrival at work for 2 hours....ahhhhh.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:33 am

And Luke, that snowman is adorable. New work laptop wallpaper! Great--"numerous crashes" in West Memphis & Marion...not getting near there until 10 or 10:30 AM
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:43 am

Wreck currently in front of Goner.
Good Memphis drivers.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 8:05 am

West Memphis & Marion...not getting near there until 10 or 10:30 AM
saispas, be so careful. The temp is supposed to steadily drop and those bridges are going to be mighty tricky if the roads stay wet. I'd advise the old bridge.

And, Jack said it wouldn't snow, if I can read right. That's NOT a perfect forecast. Harumph.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 8:12 am

THE STREETS ARE SOLID ASPHALT!!!!
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 10:17 am

Al Gore hates snow.
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 12:13 pm

I didn't go in---can't even get to Clarkedale, AR where one of my clients is and there was some big old wreck on the MLK/Club Rd. exit so I'm drinking mimosas on the couch!
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 10:59 pm

one nice stretch of ice on evelyn- maybe 20 feet. other than that, patchy. and not even enough out right now to throw snowballs at the dogs.

enjoy your bread and milk.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 12:31 am

Pittsburgh City Schools are planning on closing tomorrow. For that to happen here, you know the roads are fucked.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 12:41 am

bread/milk=french toast
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:40 am

MCS closed today because of the cold. I can't ever remember that happening.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 8:10 am

one nice stretch of ice on evelyn- maybe 20 feet. other than that, patchy.

i drove to the fairgrounds after work to do donuts yesterday, AND THERE WAS NOTHING!!! NO ICE, NO SNOW, NO NOTHING!

Only ice i saw was where they kept the cattle, and it wasn't enough room to do them! MAJOR BUMMER!!!
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 8:12 am

Only ice i saw was where they kept the cattle, and it wasn't enough room to do them! MAJOR BUMMER!!!

do what? the cattle?
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:54 am

I'll never understand Southerners.

It snows A BIT, so everyone drives like they're going to fly off the road like a hockey puck.

It snows, so everyone mobs the grocery stores like there won't be any food until the world thaws out in April (despite the fact that I don't think I've seen any snow last here for more than two days in fifteen years)

It might snow, so they cancel school (which is kind of cool).

I wonder if people in Arizona equally shit their pants when it rains.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:03 am | Edited by: Windy

I wonder if people in Arizona equally shit their pants when it rains.

I don't know about AZ, but in UT they do. Flood warnings all over the place and people panic if there is anything more than a light misting. I laughed my ass off the first time I saw a UT news report about some rain that lasted maybe 10 minutes.

And as a transplanted Southerner, I still panic a little when we get a lot of snow here.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 2:05 pm

i slammed on my brakes when i was on the ice trying to make something exciting happen... did slide for about 6 feet, that was fun.

other than that... nothin.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 3:35 pm

I'll never understand Southerners.

People that come from places where there IS snow in the winter don't appreciate how much having salt trucks and snow tires improves how well they drive in the snow. Snow here is rare, and when it happens there isn't much. However, when the roads here freeze, they are really frozen. We have no utilities to help with them. In memphis they throw gravel down. That don't help with shit. I don't know a lot about driving on ice, but I know just about everything there is to know about driving on gravel. Under no circumstances does it improve your traction.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 4:59 pm

Although there may have been lower temps in Memphis before, this is the longest, most umcomfortable prolonged cold spell that I can remember.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:51 pm

Although there may have been lower temps in Memphis before, this is the longest, most umcomfortable prolonged cold spell that I can remember.

No kidding. I've had to turn the heat on and shut the windows this week. Pisses me off.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:53 pm

do what? the cattle?

Bwahahhhhhaaahhh!!! Thank you! I was totally going to call him on that!

Anyhow, I called in yesterday for a doctor appt.--County schools got a break though. Today I didn't bother checking since there wasn't anything resembling frozen precipitation. Briefly got on facebook, and there ya go! congrats from a SCS teacher on MCS being closed. MCS website said "dismissal one hour early," = royal ass pain. Funny how the actual MCS site is always at least an hour behind the TV station alerts. They do that shit on purpose I swear so the 7:15ers show up for work unnecessarily. Good thing I'm a total slacker in the mornings and have to stare at the computer like a zombie for at least 30 minutes while I wake up. However, I wish I had known all of this before I started caffeinating. Then I was up. Bummer!
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 11:39 am

THERE WAS NOTHING!!! NO ICE, NO SNOW, NO NOTHING!

Next time, jerryd, cross the bridge & go into Marion. You'll find some off 64 towards Crawfordsville or 77 north of Marion (Clarkedale/Jericho/James Mill). Beware of Jericho Police or Fire Dept!

There was still much ice there yesterday at Noon and there are lots of lots off 77--just don't go around the Harvard Yard community north of Sunset...unbelievably sketchy.
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 1:52 am

the Harvard Yard community north of Sunset

The whatnow!?
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 9:35 am

the Harvard Yard community north of Sunset

Yeah, go figure! I remember about when it was built in the early 80's; "modern" raw wood exterior apartments and small homes right on the interstate north of Marion in this "town" called Sunset (old sharecropper village).

When we returned to live here, it was completely blighted and there is an arsonist that has burnt down about 20 of the homes and their shells still stand. Natch, everyone who lives there is Black, so no one in Crittenden County is too concerned with you know, kids dying when they play in the burned up structures. I haven't seen a fire in awhile, but last summer, there were about 2 a week.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®