Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / tell me about it
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 10:48 am

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Warford is burned out chemical/industrial wasteland. I think they find bodies out that way, and recently found a huge illegal tire dump there. It's the street that Velsicol (huge chemical plant) is on.

Bellevue/Lamar is pretty bangered up, though my kid goes to school on Bellevue. It's in the vicinity of some really ritzy neighborhoods, but there's a lot of thug life going on over there too.
Payne's is on Lamar, near Bellevue.
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Velsicol has allegedly been polluting the Warford neighborhood for years. Stay away.
Although I haven't lived in Memphis in awhile, I feel like if you stay on the Midtown side of 240 and don't live too far south of Lamar you should be fairly okay. Is that accurate, Goners?
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 3:12 pm

That area around Bellevue and Lamar is a pretty terrible neighborhood with the exception of one little oasis right in the middle. Between Sledge and Lamar/Waldran and Snowden is a kind of completely cut off neighborhood that's got really nice houses in great shape. I talked to a couple that lived over there one time, and they said it was the best neighborhood in Memphis. I'm not sure about that, but t does seem nice. However the good houses in the good area are pricey (for Memphis). There's no discount for being surrounded by ghetto on all sides.
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 3:56 pm

There's no discount for being surrounded by ghetto on all sides.

this is what makes my brain hurt. why would i pay $250,000 to live in a "nice" area of midtown, when there is still a 99% chance of having a crackhead piss or worse on my front steps?
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

that same web site ,neighborhoodscout.com, rated bellevue and lamar as the 11th worst out of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the US based on FBI data. 11. Memphis, Tenn.
Neighborhood: Bellevue Blvd./Lamar Ave.
Found Within ZIP Code(s): 38104, 38126
Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 242
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000): 132.02
My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here (in one year): 1 in 8
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm

yeah don't do it. that little area that scott is talking about is pretty neat. i have a friend of mine that owns a house over there and really likes it, but says that you gotta kinda worry a bit about people wanderin in the area every now and again. warford is disgusting. an industrial wasteland. yuck.
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

I like industrial waste...all mad max style
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

yeah! they do the frog croak chemical spill warning horns every once in a while. just practicing.
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 11:07 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

I was told, when I asked old-timers who did engineering out at Velsicol, "if you see a green cloud, run in the opposite direction".

Also, "if you see liquid, don't ever assume it's 'just water'".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®