Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tommy West Fired
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 12:33 pm

It's true.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 1:03 pm

Did you watch the presser???? OHMYGAWD. Memphis Sports=High Comedy.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 2:39 pm

My favorite part of the tirade was when he suggested that sports columnists should call the coach and ask how they can help the football program. Wow. I was waiting for a --"But who will think of the CHILDREN?!"
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh yeah, that was hilarious! I also adored RC Johnson's priceless comment that the UofM Football job is a "great job" because Memphis is a wonderful city because it is "populated and has a great airport".
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:33 pm

"populated and has a great airport".

It is a pretty kick ass airport. I'll take the job!
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 12:10 am | Edited by: rangefinder

"populated and has a great airport"
Wake up, every quality recruit is looking for the best airport. Don't you know they can't charter planes anymore?
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 10:37 am

Being in a city could be a draw. Haven't we had this discussion many times in a basketball context- how most college sports havens in the South are small towns, so even though it seems to work against Memphis on the outside, we can draw recruits by having shit like the Plush Club, hence we're not invited to the SEC?
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 12:26 pm

I don't think Memphis even belongs in the SEC as it exists if only because the SEC seems packed with all the flagship schools. I suppose if Univ of Memphis had reached another level, like Mississippi State, then I'd see the fit, but I think we are a Louisville, Cincy etc type of school, which makes that whole Big East snub that much more annoying.

On a brighter rumor note, I heard that Fred Smith is talking seriously about stepping up his commitment to the football program, esp. since his son, Cannon, will be playing here next year.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Oh, I'm not saying we SHOULD be in the SEC. I agree with you about the Louisville/Cincy thing. But I think that's why we're not. That, and all the 'black people running around causing trouble' in Memphis.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Well, I will never forget my first night in the dorm in Knoxville and there was one black person there--a woman from East TN--who wasn't an African exchange student. It actually took me until I had already graduated and left and returned for a year to find where the "black neighborhood" was there. When I was there the University came under threat of a suit from the NAACP for their lack of minority admissions, particularly from West TN. Go figure.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Only in K-ville, where the projects are full of white hillbillies in overalls and straw hats!
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Oh if you only knew! I worked at a record store on "The Strip" and on game days, we would basically be assaulted by Knoxville's versions of Greg Marmalard and Doug Niedermeyer (age range: 18-75) as well as the bizarre never-been-near-a-college-classroom fans that we truly believed came down from the hills somewhere. They looked so inbred we referred to them as "Eightballs" in honor of the many characters in the Clowes comic book of that era that looked pretty damn similar.

Look up "Vestal, Knoxville" sometime on Google. That's what I'm talking about.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 10:38 am

In related news, I thought we were the ones who were supposed to be so "ghetto" and "thuggish" (according to Vols fans).

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/nov/12/two-football-players-face-a rmed-robbery-charges-tv/
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®