Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / AI quits the Grizz!
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 6:24 pm

He asked Heisley after the game last night if he could leave the team for "personal reasons" and there is no indication he'll be coming back!

No wonder I haven't allowed myself to care about this prime example of bush league known as the Memphis Grizzlies.

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 7:29 pm

I've been waiting for this one to hit.

Perhaps he has family trouble. Be that as it may, I still hate the NBA (and AI).

Fucker couldn't get a long with Larry Brown...not my favorite human. Practice??

I'd prefer AND support ANY other major league sport in this town.
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm so right there with you. I believed in it all for about 2 seconds when it first went down (the signing), but honestly, I'd rather watch the Tigers have a mediocre season this year than to even buy one Grizz ticket. It would be different--possibly--if we had an organization worth a damn.

I went through torment as a Trailblazers fan when they actually had a pretty OK team, but Paul Allen was throwing around money like a crazed toddler and the GM was signing crack addicts (Shawn Kemp), rapists (Ruben Patterson--though I kinda liked him as a player) and idiotic dog-fighters (Qyntel Woods) to come play on a team with an out-of-control Rasheed Wallace and the quiet past-his-prime giant, Arvydas Sabonis. I didn't think it could get worse than that, but what the Grizzlies have done is just as bad, just on another level.
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 8:24 pm

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 10:18 pm

Oh yeah, I loved that! The ponytail pull? YOW!

Back to AI, I read on YahooSports that is he just so upset about the lack of communication with Hollins that he just had to go clear his head. What a jackass. What is killing me is the plethora of apologists for that kind of behavior: Chris Vernon is being AI's personal Scrappy Doo over this, just going on and on about how Hollins and the Grizz org ran him out of town and blahblahblah. Sure, Hollins hardline on Conley is eternally frustrating and the Grizz organization is laughably inept, but it is ludicrous to excuse this kind of transparent manipulation on AI's part.

Again, why am I surprised exactly?
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 3:55 pm

this sucks.

that soccer footage is intense!
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 4:07 pm

I saw the soccer craziness in slo mo on ESPN the other night; they broke it down as a countdown and the announcers were making some pretty budget Memphis AM news-esque commentary over the footage: "Ooh! Ouch! Whoa!"
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 4:22 pm

Uh, yeah, the clip is exactly what I saw! "Where's the line for this rough kind of play?" "THAT is going over the line!"
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 4:01 pm

I was listening to some sports radio dudes and they were killing the girls' TEAMMATES for putting up with her shenanigans. Oh yeah, also KILLING the teammates of the girl whose hair got pulled: "If this was a football/baseball/basketball game that beyotch would be IN THE GROUND for hurting my teammate!"

Re: AI. Justice, if yer out there, you called it right this summer. Props to you for seeing this AI bidness for what it was...
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 5:13 pm

well, i certainly wish the grizz only good, but this just was never going to work. get ready for the eventual z-bo disaster to play out as well. although it would be amazing to see that guy play one year without doing something insane and just fucked up.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 9:57 pm

I don't understand taking joy in the misfortune of the Grizz. It sucks that it didn't work.. even worse now that thabeet is injured.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Thabeet is a long term project that will never amount to much more than the waste of a lottery pick. Every game I've seen he has fouled trouble within a couple minutes of entering the game. He's tall, I'll give him that, but he sure doesn't seem to have any bball smarts.

What boggles me about AI is that Hollins hasn't talked to him. What coach doesn't talk to his players? How can he possibly be successful?
The team looked good tonight... that is until the second half. Which has been their problem for years.

I want this team to succeed, especially since I know a lot of people whose income depends on it, but as long as Heisley has his hands in it they will be the punch line of the NBA.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:12 am

I don't understand taking joy in the misfortune of the Grizz.

There is no joy in it for me; it is total and complete exasperation with the level of ineptness with that organization. I was ready to believe in it, which shows the power of a good sell job, it was just a really hollow, unplanned sell job that was bound to fail.

Even though the NCAA Div. I hoops scene is not a beacon of purity either, I still vastly prefer it to the NBA. However, I can vouch for how fun it is to have a good NBA team in a city you live in. Though the Blazers were a hot mess, they were really fun for a couple of years, even in implosion mode.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am

Also, I'm not ready to say that Z-Bo is an eventual disaster. I am hoping he may have finally gotten a reason to grow up now that he has a family of his own. When he was an alcoholic, prostitute-raping, illegal gun-carrying wildman, he was super young and had imported a bunch of his Marion, IN hoodlums to Portland to hang with him. Not to mention, the level of renegade law-breaking on that Blazer team probably made Zach feel he had to meet a standard.

I don't believe he feels the need to do that here, for multiple reasons. I know he got a DUI last year in LA, but well, we all know plenty of people who've gotten DUI's. Not to mention, he was probably driven to drink by Mike Dunleavy; they couldn't stand each other Zach's 1st season in Portland.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:54 am

Man, Chris Wallace looked beaten down last night at the Grizz game.

Just sayin.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 10:31 am

I live in Boston, said "Go Grizzlies!" during a pre-history class Lakers vs Celtics discussion, and was basically laughed out of class. Methinks there's no point in even vaguely trying anymore.

GO TIGERS.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Chris Wallace looked beaten down last night at the Grizz game.
Didn't see him, but wouldn't be surprised. If the team doesn't turn things around quick both he and Hollins are gonna be in the hot seat. If Hollins can't start picking up some wins I'll be surprised if he's still here come January. His buyout is a hell of a lot less than AI's.
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Michael Heisley is quickly becoming the Al Davis of the NBA. Except Al Davis is kind of still a bad ass in a way. Heisley is just making idiot moves and then he'll start firing everybody without some enjoyable crazy press conferences like Davis has provided. I mean, we are obviously waiting for some entertainment and Heisley should do whatever he can to provide it.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 5:38 pm

His buyout is a hell of a lot less than AI's.

Are you thinkin' what I'm thinking? AI for Coach?

"Practice" would be interesting for sure!
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 6:54 pm | Edited by: saispas

"Practice" would be interesting for sure!

"Guys, what are we talkin' about? Not a GAME...but PRACTICE! C'mon let's go grab a bite over at Silky's."
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 4:24 pm

It's official... Heisley has no business owning a team.
Not that it's a shock, but AI ain't coming back
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 11:30 am

I read this quote from YahooSports and regardless of if Lionel Hollins is an idiot, AI is a punk:

"During Allen Iverson's final days in Memphis, the Grizzlies owner should've had to sit and listen to A.I.'s voice bellowing in the back of the bus. On his way out of the Staples Center one week ago, on his way out of the NBA, Iverson made sure his bosses could hear him in the front. Lionel Hollins let it go, the way the coaches in Philadelphia once did, too.

Just let A.I. rip, let him go. Sources say Iverson started to speak louder and louder about how he had played for one dumb bleeping coach in Detroit a year ago, and now had come to play for another dumb bleeping coach in Memphis. He never dared speak this way on the Detroit Pistons' bus because he feared team president Joe Dumars and respected the championship players on board."

I think he was truly fearful of Joe Dumar's beating his braids through his neck.
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm

LOVE Joe D!
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:02 pm

I can almost see a "Looney Tunes"-esque scenario featuring Dumars & AI.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 8:36 pm

3 game winning streak for the grizz... maybe AI wants to come back now that we're winners?
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 9:45 am

Probably...I can't help but think that his presence isn't missed given the streak.
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 8:59 pm

The Knicks decided they didn't even want his drama.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 10:21 am

Well, even though the Grizz lost last night, it was only by 5 and it was to Brandon Jennings, the Bucks with pimp Scott Skiles coaching...they're looking up and it appears to me that AI was totally dragging them down. I guess The Answer to the NBA is staying retired.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 3:22 pm

pimp Scott Skiles

whoa! while my favorite Spartan of all time might have been a total boozehound and degenerate gambler, i highly doubt he's ever had any hos out on the stroll.

and by the way, Skiles bookie while at Michigan State? Dan Gilbert, owner of Quicken Loans and the guy who signs Lebron James paychecks.
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 9:06 am

last night was a good win for the Grizz... who've won 4 of the last 5, not bad.

Tinsley's dribble through the legs of some white dude feed to Thabeet for a jam was something that I haven't seen a Grizzlies team do since J-Will. Exciting for real. He's still rusty, but he plays point guard. Conley can watch and learn.

Tyreke looked good, too... went for 28. And got a big huzzah from the crowd when he was introduced.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®