Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Another reason to love Memphis
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:12 pm

the animal shelter atrocities.......................
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:20 pm

I look at our dog, Roo, and wonder what it was like for her the 7 days she had to live there. Thank god we got her out.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:13 am

I look at our dog, Roo, and wonder what it was like for her the 7 days she had to live there
Probably similar to a Jew at summer camp in Germany circa 1942. I think the owners should be fed to a pack of wild dogs.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:22 am

vigil at the shelter thursday night at 6pm. i literally got sick looking at those photos... please, write your city councilmen and new mayor and demand answers.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 9:31 am

Are you going to the vigil, Andria? I really feel compelled to. I've already written Wharton. Jim Strickland is next.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 9:35 am

Can y'all put up a link?
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 10:03 am

I emailed all 13 of the city councilpeople (including Janis Fullilove, geez, it was depressing to email that entire list of elected officials) and only heard back from Jim Strickland and Bill Morrison, who actually sent me thoughtful replies. Called Mayor Wharton, and talked to an Evelyn who said, "yes, the mayor read the paper today and yes, he's working on it." If Wharton doesn't DO something, pronto, I am gonna be furious. Animal abuse is tied to so many more problems -- especially violent crime -- that I sincerely believe that if the city adopted a no tolerance clause on this, it would help lower the crime statistics in other areas.

please send your thoughts on to the Memphis City Council (email addresses here: http://www.cityofmemphis.org/framework.aspx?page=690).

DW, the article is here. Don't look if you're planning on leading a normal life today: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/03/3-animal-shelter-dogs -died-lack-care-and-feeding/
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 10:13 am

I cannot believe that Wharton hasn't waltzed in there and pulled that director, Ernest whatever, out by his ear and that bad conk hairdo.

I also want to know if the investigation is considering criminal charges against the employees involved, the director and the former Public Services Director, Ken Moody, also the loser who botched MSARC.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 10:46 am

This is what happened to a dog I tried to adopt a year ago. I had no idea.
I went there about a year ago and saw a dog in there who looked just like my other dog, who also came from a shelter. I saw her in the cage and felt like I had to get her out of there.
The workers told me that she wasn't up for adoption, yet, and that her owner was coming to get her. I went out there every day for a week. I left messages for the director. On the sixth day, or so, there was a note on her cage from one of the shelter vets. It said that she needed to be fed three times a day, because she was starving to death. I looked at her again and thought I was crazy to not notice how starved she was when I first saw her. I thought it was something like beer goggles.
When the director returned my calls, he said that there never was an owner coming and that they were not going to adopt her out, because they don't adopt out pit bulls. He suggested I take the puppy next t her. It was a pit, too, but it wasn't in such horrible shape. I thought I could have talked him into letting me have the dog I wanted, but she was so skinny that I thought she was an abuse case, and I couldn't take that on with the kids and all. I didn't take either.
That poor thing had a better chance crossing the freeway than getting out of there.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:01 am

When the director returned my calls, he said that there never was an owner coming and that they were not going to adopt her out, because they don't adopt out pit bulls. He suggested I take the puppy next t her. It was a pit, too,

Wha? OK, that place is crazy. And it makes me so sad to think the vet had to leave a note on the cage to remind people to feed a starving dog. CHRIST!
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:10 am

in other news, I received a postcard from my former vet yesterday reminding me that Mingo, the dog his office euthanized last year, was due for his shots. I called the office and asked them to please take his name off their list -- since they're the ones who put him to sleep. utterly retarded.

re: the starvation cases at the shelter, I wholeheartedly believe that euthanizing those animals is a preferable option to out-and-out torture. as depressing as it is, I'd rather them go down than starve in a cage.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:11 am

Well, I guess she wasn't starving when she came in.
He was going to let me have the puppy, because he believed I wasn't a pit bull fighter, but he didn't want me to take the adult, because he didn't think it was safe for me. The only thing that made me worry about our safety was how emaciated the dog was. I'm not sure if he knew the dog was being starved there, or not. He seemed to hide in his office like the Wizard of Oz.
What I didn't understand was why they didn't just put her down after the three day hold, since she was not going up for adoption. Is it really cheaper to hold the dog until it dies of starvation?
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:14 am

Andria, you go to Central? They send me all kinds of reminders.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:14 am

for animals I don't got.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:30 am

no, it was pet care professionals -- i'd inherited that vet when i got the dog. now i take cassius to the one on east parkway @ central, can never remember what they're called. but the folks who took over central animal hospital are really nice. cassius always wants to go in there when we're walking down the street. i was just baffled, since the vet was the one who euthanized him, that they didn't take him off their mailing list as a courtesy. i miss mingo and beulah, who died within a month of each other last year, but i've been pretty okay about until this week. the change in weather is getting me to thinking about them too.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:46 pm

You should come over and watch "Pit Bulls and Parolees" with me Friday night.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:16 pm

I just found out that THIS WEEK, after Wharton let those stupid fuckhead employees back to work at the Shelter, that they were euthanizing animals without following procedure for it. So, Wharton has...banned all euthanasia for now. Not "fired the Director and his idiotic Merry Men", but, you know, put some euthanasia on hold.

ohmyfuckinggawd.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 4:45 pm

'can't see Alexander as really being behind this. All I know about the dude is from that one phone call, but I think he probably got transferred here and had no idea what he was getting into. He coulda been a decent guy with no power/resources to improve that place. He seemed to have a heart.
or he could be a sadist. I need to start taking the paper.
I thought he'd been replaced a coupla months ago, anyway. Did anyone else hear that?
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 5:47 pm

I was in line behind Mayor Wharton while getting coffee this morning. I thanked him for raiding the shelter and making known all the horrible things that have gone on.
He stated that he wanted to fire every single person that worked there, but that it was really hard to find people that could do the job. In the next breath he compared the job of the director of the shelter to the Medical Examiner, and said " We all know what happened with O.C. Smith."
He said that he was looking at other cities to see how they hire and keep good employees.
Maybe we could get someone who won't tolerate torture? I think that is reasonable. The director and all of those workers should have been fired on the spot.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 5:59 pm

" We all know what happened with O.C. Smith."

scary indeed.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:10 pm

What about turning the shelter over to the ASPCA or the Humane Society? I'm completely baffled that they think they can teach some awful people who would let a dog slowly starve to death how to do that job properly.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:56 am

Alexander=FI-YERD.

Press conference--10 AM.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 11:24 am

firing is not justice plus I believe the guilt goes farther up the chain. No money to feed animals but plenty for goddamn traffic cameras.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 11:43 am

Where were the vets in charge of this facility?
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 1:10 pm

I think one of the vets may be the whistleblower.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 1:10 pm

that was saispas, not ryan.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 5:51 pm

Friday night

arrgh can't tonight but next week???? would love to!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®