Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / West Memphis 3
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Lead story on channel 5 tonight:

New Eyewitnesses: Three Boys Last Seen Alive with Terry Hobbs

,Neighbors Saw Steven Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore With Hobbs Just Before Their Disappearance

(Little Rock, Arkansas, October 12, 2009) Three eyewitnesses have come forward and provided sworn statements that they saw Steven Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore with Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of Steven Branch, at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 5, 1993, immediately before the time the boys disappeared. Hobbs was calling loudly at the children and ordering them to return to his house. The new evidence establishes that the last person who had custody of the three boys before they vanished and died was Terry Hobbs. Jamie Clark Ballard, who lived only three doors down from Terry and Pam Hobbs, has supplied a sworn affidavit, as have both her mother and her sister.

Based upon this new evidence, a motion on behalf of Damien Echols was delivered today to the Arkansas Supreme Court asking the court to order the matter to the Circuit Court to permit further factual development of Echols's claims of actual innocence.

Ballard states in her sworn affidavit that, "Between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., I saw Stevie Branch, Michael Moore and Christopher Byers playing in my backyard. I am absolutely, completely and totally positive that I saw Terry Hobbs hollering at Stevie, Michael and Christopher to get back down to the Hobbs house at approximately 6:30 pm. If Terry Hobbs said he did not see Stevie Branch, Michael Moore or Christopher Byers on May 5, 1993, he is not telling the truth. I know for a fact that Terry Hobbs saw, was with and spoke to Stevie, Michael or Christopher on May 5, 1993."

Hobbs has repeatedly said that he never saw the three boys the day they were murdered. In fact, during a recent civil deposition of Terry Hobbs, dated July 21, 2009, Hobbs stated, for the first time under oath, that he never saw his stepson, Steven Branch, at any time on May 5, 1993. Under oath he was asked, "It's your testimony that you did not see Stevie Branch at all the day of May 5th of 1993. Correct?" Hobbs answer: "Correct." "Did you see Stevie at all that day, May 5th?" Answer: "No, I did not." "Did you see any of the three boys that day?" Answer: "No, I did not. No I never seen Stevie that day."

Police never questioned Terry Hobbs during the original investigation of the crimes, but after new evidence was revealed that his DNA was found at the crime scene in 2007, he was questioned by West Memphis Police Department on June 21, 2007. In that interview he stated numerous times to Detective Mitchell that he did not see the boys at any time that day. Officer Mitchell asked Terry Hobbs about what time he got home from work, and he responds roughly about 3-3:30 p.m. He was then asked if he saw Stevie anywhere. His answer: "I did not, he wasn't there."

According to the motion prepared by Dennis Riordan and Don Horgan, Echols attorneys, "It has previously been established that Hobbs was never questioned by police during the original investigation of the crimes, despite the fact that the lead detective in the investigation of the murders has conceded both that when a child homicide occurs, police should always consider the parents of the child as potential suspects, and that it is "statistically proven that homicide victims are usually the result of family, close friends, [and] known acquaintances" (see below). Yet DNA evidence submitted to the Circuit Court in the ยง 16 112 201 proceedings below links Hobbs to the ligature used to bind Michael Moore. A hair linked by DNA testing to David Jacoby, whom Hobbs had visited in the hour before the boys disappeared, was found at the crime scene. Hobbs, moreover, has been accused assaultive conduct in the past. He has made bizarre and self-incriminating statements concerning his activities on the date the boys went missing. His whereabouts during a key early evening time period on May 5th have never been accounted for. Certain family members recalled that he had acted suspiciously on the date of the disappearance and the days that followed. His wife and other family members have voiced their belief that Hobbs was responsible for the killings.

"Considered in the context of all available evidence in these matters, the new revelations that Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of Steven Branch, had Steven, Christopher, and Michael in his custody just before their disappearance and death, and that Hobbs has deliberately denied and concealed that critical fact, cannot reasonably be reconciled with the conclusion that appellants were responsible for the crimes of which they stand convicted."

The eyewitnesses, who saw the boys in their backyard prior to returning to the Hobbs home, were never questioned by the police on the day of the murders. According to the affidavit of Jamie Clark Ballard, "Following the murders, the police never came to interview me or my family. In fact, after the murders, I do not recall ever seeing any police vehicles on my street or seeing any police interviewing any of the people in my neighborhood."

Damien Echols case is currently under appeal in the Arkansas Supreme court seeking a new trial based upon new evidence. Dozens of pieces of evidence found at the crime scene conclusively show that no DNA from the murders matches Echols or the other two men. DNA testing, however, links Terry Hobbs, stepfather of one of the murdered children, to the crime scene, and other evidence has emerged implicating him in the crimes. In addition, scientific evidence from the nation's leading forensics experts demonstrates that most of the wounds on the victims were caused by animals at the crime scene, after their deaths - not by knives used by the perpetrators, as the prosecution claimed and was the centerpiece of the prosecution's case. Moreover, evidence presented that a knife recovered from a lake near one defendant's home caused the wounds was completely discredited by the pathologists.

Echols's also informed the Supreme Court that a prominent Arkansas attorney in a sworn affidavit has revealed improper conversations that the jury foreman held with the attorney while the original trial was in progress, clearly violating the law and the rights of Damien Echols and Jason Baldwin to a fair and impartial trial. In those conversations, the jury foreman indicates that he had prejudged Echols's guilt and was trying to convince other jurors to convict based upon news reports of the false confession of Jessie Misskelley, which was barred from admission at the Echols-Baldwin trial. During one conversation, the jury foreman told the attorney that the prosecution had presented a weak case, and that the prosecution had better present something powerful the next day (the end of the prosecution's case) or it would be up to him to secure a conviction.

Surely this will be enough for the AR Supreme Court to give Echols a new trial.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:19 am | Edited by: saispas

It is verrrrrry interesting working here now right across from Crittenden County Juvenile Court and knowing many people who knew all of these kids for years. There is so much ambivalence about Damien, outright ridicule of the police who investigated the crime and complete disbelief that Jessie or Jason could have done it. They all pretty much believe that Damien could have done it based on "how he used to act walking around here trying to scare the shit out of everybody".

I work every other day in Lakeshore Trailer Court, past home of Damien and Jesse. One of the mom's I work with is Damien's age and grew up in Lakeshore with him. The attorney interviewed in the NY Times is on the board of the agency I work for.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am

I've been following it all for a few years. Hell, Jason was in school that day. Interesting to hear what's going on in the town now.
The whole thing is totally mindboggling. Even the backstory of the what has happened since the convictions is totally nuts.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 2:05 pm | Edited by: saispas

It isn't surprising in the least. Do you remember THIS story? I always thought it was a bit too similar to the Robin Hood Hills murders.

Points to anyone who can locate the original story. I know that I heard from those who would have known that the little boy was mutilated sexually.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Does that site have the info on the Ronald Ward murders too? Does the CA have their archives online?
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 4:39 pm

The NYT story is a great one. She interviewed me last week, but I wasn't quoted in the story. I directed her to Shaun, who I thought would be a good source since he was a kid when the crime occurred and maybe sees things through different eyes as an attorney.

I thought the story did a great job of capturing the complicated politics involved with speaking about the WM3 here.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Why did they interview you, trip?

Jivepuppi is a great site for info. As is www.wm3.org. However, there is a lot of petty bullshit infighting on the webring associated with the wm3 website.
There's a site where you can read all the documents associated with the case. It's www.callahans.com, I think. If that's not the exact link, you can find it on the wm3.org website. Be prepared to spend weeks in a spiral of insanity if you choose to read the documents.

I whole heartedly believe in the innocence of the WM3. And the whole of the story, from the beginning to now, is enough to put anyone on their ass with the enormity of it all.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 9:15 am

I work for the newspaper in West Memphis and I have covered the case (the best I can) for a couple years. It was definitely a Major Leaguer talking to a bench-warming Pony Leaguer type situation.

I grew up in West Memphis and was 11 or 12 when the crimes occurred, so I was completely terrified of the whole thing when I was a kid. It has been interesting to give it a second look as an adult. The case gets more fascinating by the day.

Yeah, callahan.8k.com/ is a great resource.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 9:51 am

The Evening Times! Look back in issues from 1980-81 for Holy Cross girls basketball; I was often the high scorer (with like 6 points) but they NEVER got my name right. It took years to live down the misspelling "Chis Yong" (name is Kristin Young).

I also got my mug in there when I was in those stupid school sororities and...(shame) a SPO Little Sister.

We should meet up and go eat some food sometime--call up at East Arkansas Youth Services in Marion and ask for "Chis Yong"!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 11:04 am

Over the years, we've turned name butchering into something of an art form. I wrote a story earlier this year that included comments from a man whose last name was Duncan. Someone (no one ever owned up to it) spell checked the story and apparently clicked replace on everything, so his name was changed to "Dunce." Sigh.

We do the best we can with the lack of a copy editor and tiny staff (God rest the once-mighty soul of the newspaper industry). I wish we were better.

As for the archives, they are completely lost. The fire that destroyed the old building on Bond took everything. You would assume copies would be on file at the local library or somewhere else, but they're not. Everything pre-2007 is gone. Dumb. When I worked for The Sun in Jonesboro, I used to love to go through the morgue and look at old issues on microfilm. The whole thing sucks, since 99 percent of West Memphis' history has mostly been blown away by tornadoes or subject to depressing decay.

Meeting up for some food sounds wonderful, Ms. Yong.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 11:59 am

Everything pre-2007 is gone.

You. Are. Fucking. Kidding. Me.

No microfilm at the library? GOTTA BE!

I know I cut out all those high scores and the OOS, DBS, SPO crap so I just gotta dig up my scrapbook. I was also in there in 7th grade with Ramona Taylor and my mom at a League of Women Voters meeting. My grandad (from Proctor) used to call them the "Legal Women Voters". Love this place (zero sarcasm).

OK, let's posse up and go to lower Broadway for food not drugs...I know they think that is why I'm all back in there every Wednesday afternoon; I get gaped at.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 1:23 pm

maybe there's microfilm at u of m? i dunno.

i moved to marion (the high school all the lakeshore kids go to) the year after all that happened. miserable experience. the english teacher tried to flunk me because i looked weird to her. (had dyed hair and wore band t-shirts). a lot of people really shunned me, but yanno, i didn't really hang out with a lot of people from my school. most of the kids that weren't preppy moved to different schools so they wouldn't get harassed. the rest of us who didn't had dumb rednecks throwing chew at us, calling us names, expecting us to do something insane, even though the only people "weird" who were left were hippies and skater kids mostly.

my dad still lives over in marion, and all his friends and neighbors are convinced that damien and crew did it, but they're all good ol'boy types and damien did have a rep over there for trying to be weird. but trying to be weird and scary is a big difference from actually KILLING someone. but they don't see it that way, unfortunately. trying to get half of those people to change their minds, not gonna happen.

i hope they get a new trial. marion/west memphis was pretty much my definition of hell on earth.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 1:31 pm

dumb rednecks throwing chew at us

hohohoholy shit!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Oh yeah, I believe it elle!

MTV coming on the air (was on WM cable before Memphis) was the signal of my eventual casting out from West Memphis. Not that I'd ever been truly accepted anyway, moving there in 6th grade after living in Memphis my whole life. Those 7 miles are an eternity. I remember I went from being a little preppy girl who played basketball to buying clothes at Merry-Go-Round and US Male, braiding little braids in my hair a la Dale Bozzio in Missing Persons and doing any and everything "baaaaad". I was glad as hell to jump ship over to Central after my 10th grade year because I saw my future and it included a baby before graduation and a shotgun wedding to some foolish miniature version of "Woody" Wooderson from Dazed & Confused.

I did learn a lot about many things, though, that I would have never had the access to in Memphis...and of that I am glad. I am also glad I am back over here now helping the kids that still have to live here; I mean at least we had a movie theater in my day!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Holiday Twin! I loved that place.

We moved away from West Memphis the summer after I finished 7th grade. I had lived in the same house my entire life (1400 E. Barton for you WM3 fans). At the time, I hated leaving, but I'm so glad we did. I have a bunch of relatives that have lived in West Memphis their whole lives. I love 'em and all, but I couldn't imagine living the way they do.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 3:10 pm | Edited by: jerryd

RIVERSIDE SPEEDWAY RULES IT!!!

SO DOES PANCHOS!!!

AND THE DOG TRACK!!!

WITH THEIR DELICIOUS BUFFET!!!

WEST MEMPHIS IS GREAT!!!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm liking reading all this. My boss lives in Marion, and I'm constantly going over the bridge.
Ran an errand to the Bible Book Store (can't remember the name) in West Memphis the other day, and got off on Broadway off 55. Man, are there some photo ops on that strip!

Thanks, trip, for posting the real Callahan's link.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 3:58 pm

The Soho Journal. Things are really stepping up...
http://www.wm3.org/Events/view/DAMIEN-ECHOLS-DEFENSE-FUND-ART-BENEFIT
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 5:01 pm | Edited by: saispas

Holiday Twin! I loved that place.

Saw Road Warrior there and still remember the badass standie they had for it. Also went on my first date there and we saw this awful/great movie, "The Entity" where an invisible entity squeezes Barbara Hershey's boobs. We were all 12 and I'm pretty certain that was an R movie.

Trip, saw the ET headline today; something like somebody doubting the "new evidence". I was at a client's house so I haven't read it yet.

I'll be all night on that Callahan's link...lawd! Oh and Alisa, that has to be Cupple's.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm

SO DOES PANCHOS!!!

AND THE DOG TRACK!!!

WEST MEMPHIS IS GREAT!!!

That's only three things (three things closest to Memphis, I might add). It's not ALL fun and games in the WM.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Holiday Twin was the BEST EVER for the sneaky double feature. All movies start at 7:00 and 9:00. One screen on each side of the lobby made super easy to come out of the first movie, grab a snack & a drink, and head back into the other screen. I saw Cannonball Run/Superman II 5 or 6 times at the Holiday Twin. No idea how many times I saw Clash Of the Titans.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 10:52 pm

SO DOES PANCHOS!!!
AND THE DOG TRACK!!!
WEST MEMPHIS IS GREAT!!!

I will defend West Memphis until I die. There's an underdog quality about West Memphis that I like and kind of identify with. There are few places I know that are so defined nationally by tragedy --- with the WM3, cop shooting a 12-year-old and the car bombing. Good god, the city cannot catch a break. Its problems are obvious, high-profile and often pretty embarrassing, but the music history is top notch (and pretty unrecognized), the basketball is incredible (you're welcome for Keith Lee, Memphis), there's a beautiful/dysfunctional diversity, some pretty good food and the people are mostly good folks. People around the country snicker about Detroit, people in Tennessee snicker about Memphis and people in this area snicker about West Memphis. Fuck them all, I say.

Its top selling point now is obviously its proximity to Memphis. I live about 10 minutes from downtown and 15 from midtown, so most of my free time is spent there and I would rather live in Memphis, but there are certainly worse places to be. I've lived in other cities in Arkansas--they're horrible. They consisted of Wal-Mart, churches and arrogant white people with an undeserved sense of accomplishment as far as the eye can see. There are still some signs of life in West Memphis. Not necessarily white ones, but they are there. If you're a fan of rap, Club Unity in West Memphis still gets some head-scratchingly big acts who come over. I have bought some great mixtapes from WM rap groups. There are a handful of gospel groups here who can't be touched.

There are enough depressing facts about the city to go around (no movie theater, book store, park with a basketball goal or even a damn skating rink anymore, etc.), but I still care about this little fucked up city.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 8:28 am

Aw Trip, you are pulling my heartstrings.

I never once thought I'd be where I am, right this second, in a metal-siding building across from Crittenden County Courthouse, working as a therapist with Marion and West Memphis kids who are basically on probation for doing many of the same things I did over here 25+ years ago and never got caught. I likely wasn't looked at twice because my mom was from an old Proctor farm family, she was a bigshot attorney married to another bigshot attorney (never has there been a county with more attorneys, it is crazy) and well, I was a white, middle-class female.

I ridiculed West Memphis to my "Memphis friends" whenever I'd go over there on weekends and shamefacedly accepted my paternal side of the family's constant jabs at my accent.

But sometime in the 90's, I realized I knew about makes/models of cars from 1965-present day, more basketball than most other women I hung out with, 80's rap, funk and r&b, 80's dances, B-horror movies, mixed drinks and American beer, hair metal, dance rollerskating moves, fishing...I could list more things, but my point is I'd never have had the immersion in these things had I remained in Memphis and never spent those years over here.

Sure, there were opportunities in Memphis to have gotten schooled on all of this but each bit was typical of one part of Memphis and not Midtown. Midtown Memphis white girl teenage expertise back then was in the Antenna, Acid and a little dabbling in College-bound Black culture (i.e. Step shows, teenage boys in suits carrying briefcases to class and bitchy-ass future AKA girls with a fake sorority named--ahem--Les Dames Jolies).

Anyway, it would be interesting to study what the hell happened to this area. I was shocked when I came back this year and saw how Marion has blown up into cheesy huge houses in the middle of beanfields, while WM has just devolved and disintegrated.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am

OK, pleeeeease tell me the cops/courts recognized that the graffiti all over the salvaged Delta 88 in the Documents on that Callahan site was a bunch of Gangster Disciple stuff--"The Devil Made Me Do It" and pitchforks and stars? 1993? COME ON. They had to know.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 12:39 pm

This thread is really sweet. I'm from rural DeSoto County on the Marshall County line and I can totally empathize with a lot of what y'all are saying.

That said: how is the part about the jury foreman talking to that attorney not grounds for throwing the whole thing out without even having to have a new trial!?!? That is INSANITY. I am surprised in general that the new generation of DA's in Crittenden County don't just want to concede defeat so they can wash their hands of the entire thing. It's fucking embarrassing.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 3:26 pm

I am surprised in general that the new generation of DA's in Crittenden County don't just want to concede defeat so they can wash their hands of the entire thing.

Because the new generation of DA's here are the future generation of the judicial bench. The DA of the 90's is today's district circuit judge. And he is running for Arkansas Supreme Court. Echols' defense attorney is the circuit prosecuting attorney for Juvenile Court.
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

hillbilly mumia ! i knew these guys and damien was and still is a goddamn sociopath
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 11:58 am

and i know for a 100% fact damien use to kill cats and kee p there skulls
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

I work for the newspaper in West Memphis
how come you didn't report the wets memphis police protest ?
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 12:33 pm | Edited by: saispas

A question I have is if they were so deadset on murdering some kids for Satan then why did they go to West Memphis to do it when they could have taken care of that much easier in Lakeshore? They didn't have cars and walked everywhere. And Lakeshore is supposedly where all those cats/dogs Damien killed were as were all the supposed Satanic throwdowns.
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 1:12 pm

how come you didn't report the wets memphis police protest ?

I have covered several protests of the WMPD. I am not sure which one you're talking about. It's entirely possible I missed it, but I wasn't aware of one in the last few weeks.
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 4:11 pm

A question I have is if they were so deadset on murdering some kids for Satan then why did they go to West Memphis to do it when they could have taken care of that much easier in Lakeshore? They didn't have cars and walked everywhere. And Lakeshore is supposedly where all those cats/dogs Damien killed were as were all the supposed Satanic throwdowns.
everybody hung out in robin hood and i'm not saying they killed kids i'm saying this guy killed cats and is a sociopath when i moved to west memphis from tacoma in the 90's i was a black skater and i was a total outkast i went to east jr high but i met tons of skaters from nearby marion and lakeshore i will never forget the first time i went in lakeshore and saw rebel flags everywhere and guys with nazi tattoos and these guys would hop over the freeway in a second to go skate ?anyway i'm not saying they did it but i know they would be smoking meth if they were free..
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm sure you were an outcast; I was shocked to return there to work this year after not having lived there since I was 16 and to actually see a city skatepark in Marion...Memphis still doesn't have one.

Regardless of supposed cat-killing and an armchair diagnosis of being a sociopath (I have a license to clinically diagnose mental illness and could evaluate Damien if they'd let me in the prison), the conviction was total bullshit. Even if they did it, the evidence in the case remains ludicrous.

Imagine if all the people who cast you out decided to tell the WM Police a lot of half-truths and scary stuff about you and the WM Police and local prosecutors where like, "Hmm, this sounds pretty believable!" and railroaded you? This is basically what happened. Check out their evidence on the site linked somewhere above; it's absolutely ridiculous.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

Let's say Damien really is a sociopath and a jerk. So what? The evidence says he didn't kill those kids, and he shouldn't be in jail for killing those kids. Maybe if he wasn't in jail he'd be a total meth head right now. Maybe as soon as he is released he'll fuck up and get put back in jail. So what? At least then he'd be in jail for something he actually did. That the defendant wasn't nice to you when you were a kid is not the issue. The issue is whether or not he killed those kids, and, as the magic 8-ball says, signs point to no.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 10:06 am

I think there's also something to be said for the fact that he was a teenager when all of this went down. We change a lot in ten, fifteen, twenty years. I mean, yeah, cat killing is one thing, but still. Isn't Damien Echols a Buddhist now? I don't know a lot of Buddhist cat killers, personally.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:41 pm

I think what really swayed me was the basis for the initial questioning being RUMORS discussed and spread around by other teenagers and so-called adults being then the basis for evidence of guilt. The support of the rumors was faulty interpretation of death-filled teenage angst poetry. Um, they could have gone to my house in West Memphis for some of that when I was 16!

More evidence: "a Devil Stick", some goofy Satanic pictures of goats and the biggie, a knife LIKE one Jason had once borrowed and not returned to another Lakeshore kid that they found in a lake near his house; they can't even prove it is either the same knife Jason borrowed OR if it had one thing to do with the murders.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm

well again i'm not saying i think they killed kids i'm saying they could of been in robin hood that night thats how they were linked to this crime all the devil shit is some part rumors but some of it was 100% true having knowing 2 of the three
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm

some of it was 100%

60% of the time...it works every time.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 9:20 am

I love this place (Crittenden Co) but my god, don't EVER try to explain an even slightly conceptual Halloween costume to about 96% of the residents. I made that fatal flaw this AM.

The idea of an Arkansas Halloween: If you are female and you aren't slutting up, why bother? I'm sure some guys might understand it, but then I'd walk away and they'd probably shake their heads and say, "what a waste" or something.

I have to keep telling myself everyday I have to keep the old cards close to the chest lest I get convicted of something. The reasons I was cast out as a teenage girl were absolutely insane and I don't think too much has changed in that regard.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm | Edited by: rockandrollnigger

why do you live in west memphis ?
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

I don't. I work in Marion. I used to live here b/t the ages of 12-16 and then I moved back to my Dad's in Memphis.
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 9:03 am

The evidence points more over the years that they were killed by blacks, not the white scapegoats they keep looking for. I realize that's an ugly politically incorrect truth some people don't want to face.
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 10:33 am

Which evidence are you referring to? That site was so overwhelming and the only thing(s) I caught related to blacks at all were the story about the guy in Bojangles (why the HELL this wasn't followed up on more, I will never know) and the--kinda humorous--finding of the stripped Delta 88 with a bunch of typical Gangster Disciple graffiti all over it.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

I can understand the State of Arkansas unwillingness for a retrial, but not their disallowing the use of new DNA evidence technology on the remaining evidence. The results of which would certainly shut up most of the doubters if the three really did it.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm

The only way I understand the latter, Uptight, is by understanding just how arrogant and obstinate the powers that be in Crittenden Co and well, basically any other rural area in the Delta, are about having to potentially eat crow.

Memphis political power would get away with this if they could; the protest against them would just get too loud over here to get away with it.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 5:06 am

I can't help but suspect some local black gang initiation ceremony. Ronald Ward stabbed three white people to death a few years earlier. Could something like that be what's going on? I don't know but you have to look at all the possibilities. If I were investigating this I would try to access police records of locals gang members at that time and try to rake those mother fuckers over the coals and see if anything comes out.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 5:08 am

And another thing the Gangster Disciple symbol is the trident (three). I could easily see some local wannabe gang bangers emulating something like that into their initiations.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 7:22 am

I don't think it is the GD's; Trip, I can give you a lot of info on the GD's over some Roadside BBQ someday soon. They wouldn't bother with it & that kind of stuff is way against the Code.

The Ronald Ward thing is truly interesting. My mom & stepdad were local attorneys at that time (and time of WM3)--friends with Pal Rainey etc--and somehow got their mitts on crime scene photos before the trial. This was before WM3 and my stepdad told me that the little boy in that murder was completely castrated and sexually tortured. Ronald Ward said someone else helped him with that murder...not sure I don't believe that.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis

Saispas,

I didn't mean that I believe the GD's did it. I don't. I do believe that whoever was with Ronald Ward was involved in the WM3 killings also. Both crimes smack of some sort of ritualistic style murder. I can see some small local group of gang wannabes adopting imagery from someone like the disciples (hence the car with the graffiti) and using something like the devil's pitchfork, the three-pronged trident as part of an initiation philosophy, if the car was indeed related to the crime. It's just a stretch but no one else seems to be coming up with any viable suspects. Too bad we can't waterboard Ronny Ward. Unfortunately that technique has proven ineffective on corpses. I do believe whoever killed those boys was black as the ace of spades.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 7:40 pm

I think the car is a total red herring--wasn't it found in Proctor or something? I just don't see the connection really. I do think there is a possibility the two crimes are connected. Wasn't the guy they saw covered in blood at the Mr. Bojangles close to the crime scene/around the time of the crime a 30-40-ish black man? Ronald Ward said the man who was with him was an older man and knew his street name. Do you have access to the Evening Times stories of that crime? I have looked on the internet and never found those.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Oh I thought the car was found near Robin Hood Hills. Well scratch that then. I don't have any Ronald Ward stuff but I do have Evening Times issues from when the arrests of the WM3 were being made. Yeah my understanding was it was an older black guy. If he was that old then he may not even be alive anymore. I mean, I suspect he probably wasn't leading the healthiest lifestyle if you get my drift.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I vividly remember reading the detailed articles in the ET about the Ronald Ward crime. Do you think the WM Library has the old ET on microfiche...since y'all burnt down & lost everything! I do seem to remember thinking the man Ronald Ward said was with him in the home was a local drug addict.

I spent a few days when I didn't have so many clients at work pouring over that site--callahans?--with photos of all the evidence and I think they said the car was found abandoned out in Proctor or Edmonson or around there.
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 9:10 am | Edited by: rollie fingers

"Johnny Depp: Free The West Memphis Three."

Actor Tells "48 Hours" He's Convinced of Innocence of Trio Many Say Were Wrongly Convicted of 1993 Murders.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/27/48hours/main6251328.shtml
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®