Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Early Voting
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:47 am

OK, is there any reason I shouldn't vote for AC? I'm early voting tomorrow.

Pitches for or against please.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:30 pm

AC is in Willie's pocket. He is waiting till after the mayoral election to endorse Herenton for Cohen's seat.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:33 pm

AC would be city mayor now if he had run 2 years ago.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:38 pm

I don't think the first reason is true by a long shot, and I don't think the second one is necessarily true.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 3:41 pm

Because he's a devious bastard? Do we really need another one? Myron "the King" Lowery!
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 4:59 pm

I was on a job site this morning with some high ranking COM people. They were talking as if Wharton's election was a lock and saying the worst thing he could do would be to keep the same staff. Their positions were not appointed directly by the Mayor, but they were concerned for some of their peers (as if he doesn't care for Willie's appointments).
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 5:27 pm

I want to early vote but i think i'm gonna wait and see what happens with the next debates. I have been a huge supporter of AC, but am tempted to vote Lowery...
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 7:10 pm

Me too. I will wait and vote later next week. What concerns me is some of Lowery's wimpiness when on the Council.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:38 pm

Y'all are really thinking about voting for Lowery? I found the fist bump thing really lame and don't have any compelling evidence of his own strength of character or anything.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:54 pm

SAMBEAUX
Member Posted: Oct 1, 2009, 9:38 pm Quote

Y'all are really thinking about voting for Lowery? I found the fist bump thing really compelling and don't have any evidence of his own strength of character as lame or anything.
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 10:41 am

I am just sick of AC's laid back "I got this" attitude and inability to really clarify much during the debate I watched. Lowery, I don't know. He is doing some things I can agree with but at the same time, he knew about all this junk when he was on the Council forever, so why all the puffy outrage NOW?

Not to mention his casual attitude in regards to us paying more in property taxes after the City Council (Lowery included) tried to weasel an illegal withholding of education funds to MCS ("Its for education; they'll understand.") is something I cannot let go.

Chumney I will not vote for--she is not the person that job. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat for City Council or the Legislature though.

Lawler? No fucking way. I am sure he's nice and he's obviously not an idiot, but he's not the one either.
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 7:18 pm

Lawler is the only one who can possibly save this suckhole. I'd rather have a redneck with some conviction looking out for me. If i have to hear another whiny, Memphis mayor use the term "haters" it will be way too soon.
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 9:40 am

I seriously doubt AC would use the word "haters", but ok...
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 12:40 am | Edited by: Uptight White

I've supported Wharton for years, but unfortunately he's King Willie with a sharp suit and a warm demeanor. He'll be better than WMH on the basis of public profile and private sector experience, but he is not very good fiscally and requires a vaccination for the consolidation bug. The animosity between AC and WM seems staged to push the white liberal vote to AC.

Chumney, Lowery, and Lawler all have better platforms. D'Army Bailey is the best man for the job.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 8:15 am

UW, explain why you are against the latest effort toward consolidation...or are you? Personally, I think not consolidating most of the City/County into a County govt has held us back in so many ways, but I'd like to hear an opinion with some facts rather than the typically fear-mongering, racist shit.

IMO, Jim Strickland is the best man for the job, but he isn't running. This Lawler fascination kills me. I'm sorry, but I want to see him run for council and do some work before I'd cast a vote for him as mayor of this city. If we were on the City Manager-Mayor shared system, I'd have no problem voting for him, I suppose, but we aren't.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 10:09 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

UW, explain why you are against the latest effort toward consolidation...or are you?

I am, but in the context of the post, I was referring AC Wharton's platform being an unpopular one, especially considering that consolidation has been voted down twice. I prefer smaller government, and the more local, the better. Elected officials are more accountable (consider how fast by your state rep returns your call vs. one of your senators). It's also easier to track the fiscal status of a smaller governmental structure than one that gets large and bloated.

I agree with you about Lawler paying his dues in smaller office first. Chumney has lost whatever spark she may have had, and Lowery's city government autopsy makes me wonder what he and the rest of the council were up to when Willie was getting over.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 10:18 pm

so, we're back to voting for ac?
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 11:48 pm

here's what's happening in the atlanta mayoral race. stay classy ATL!

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/3505085
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 9:05 am

Lowery's city government autopsy makes me wonder what he and the rest of the council were up to when Willie was getting over.

This is my big concern with Lowery. Now with this vacation payout, I am wondering if this ever went before the Personnel Committee of the City Council and if Lowery knew about this choice little sitch Herenton and McGee had going on.

So, yeah, maybe I'm back to AC. I dunno. This is just for the remainder of Herenton's term, right? When is the next 4 yr election?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 11:44 am

Do I have to vote? This BS was THIS PAST JUNE. Yeah, Lowery, smooooth.

In June, when he was still Council chairman and before Mayor Willie Herenton had announced his intention to retire, Lowery appeared to believe a tax increase was inevitable if MCS won in court -- which it subsequently did.

"If we lose, it will be a tax bill for education and the citizens will understand that," Lowery explained.

The larger context of that quote revolved around the vote Lowery and six others made to reject a proposal denying city workers a 3 percent raise, which would have saved the city $11 million. Lowery and others also voted against a proposal to cut the raises in half.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 4:43 pm

i'm definitely voting for lowery. this isn't a full term that he'll be serving, and i've been pretty impressed with his straight forward approach so far, all fist bumps aside.

a mayor who doesn't say "we'll get back to you on that," and immediately calls the division director that a question has been asked about for a straight answer is okay by me. lowery has done that on more than one occasion.

if he winds up sucking, it's not like AC couldn't take it in two years.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm still AC all the way. Though I was totally impressed with the fist bump.

Hey, tigergreen...you still on the nest?
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 11:51 am

Hey, tigergreen...you still on the nest?

i am! under 2 weeks now till my due date (the 18th)....i'm officially tired of being a "vessel."
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 7:01 pm

i'm sitting here reading the flyer and just came across the fact that lowery suggested a monorail for memphis, yes a MONORAIL!
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 7:17 pm

HE'S GOT MY VOTE!
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 9:15 am

I think he meant to say "light rail" and HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!!
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 9:30 am

yeah, after you wrote that i had to go back and make sure i read it correctly, it is still MONORAIL!
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 12:13 pm

Maybe Lowery just misses DisneyWorld...or he wants to extend the one we already have on Mud Island! Wheeeee!
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 10:09 am

Did he not see the monorail Simpsons episode?!
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 10:18 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I think ole' Myron may have lost his mind.

I heard him discussing the light rail on the radio, and how his plans got shot down 10 years ago.

extend the one we already have on Mud Island! Wheeeee!

wheeeeeeeee, indeed!!!!

We've already got the trolley, what would we possibly want a light rail for?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®