Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Los Compadres Moving
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 10:12 pm | Edited by: eric o

Building forclosed on and Los Compadres dudes couldn't buy the building.

Moving way down Poplar... sorry Scott Rogers... while you're down there might as well go to the bigger Home Depot. Or not.

(Source: News Channel 3. En tu lado)
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 6:45 am

To the Old Costa Vida place.

Maybe a new Captain D's will open in the old location.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 7:51 am

Where is the Costa Vida place? Is it moving East or West of it's current location?
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 8:02 am

Holmes and Poplar caddy cornered to East High School!
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 8:17 am

That's not TOO much further.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 12:51 pm

You sure? Pretty sure it's in the minimall with the Kinkos way down on Poplar.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Costa Vida was at Holmes and Poplar. The only Poplar Kinkos out that way is like next to Dixie Cafe just east of Perkins and Poplar right?
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 4:01 pm

el mezcal is way better anyway....i just wish they had a patio
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I was reallllllly grossed out by el mezcal the last time I went. It wasn't the Midtown one, but the one near Laurelwood. What is the best platter style in Memphis people? I like the chicken soup at los compadres.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm

just drove down poplar and saw the new location. it's on the south side of the street next to that new-ish kinko's between greer and prescott, right in colin's stomping grounds!
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

must have patios. doesn't really matter in the winter, but margaritas demand patios.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

I was reallllllly grossed out by el mezcal ... the one near Laurelwood.

Yeah, that place is garbage.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 5:38 pm

on the margarita front...the Happy Mexican is tops, the food is ehhhhhh...but 2 of the jumbo margaritas will make ya wobbly...
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 6:41 pm

I was reallllllly grossed out by el mezcal ... the one near Laurelwood.

i've never been to that one....only the one on union. i'm addicted to the pollo norteno. i love anything with pineapple.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 6:56 pm

I like the Los Compadres fajitas that come with shrimp, carnitas, chorizo and bacon.
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 11:54 pm

The new location seems much smaller, and I don't see a patio. I was wondering why they were moving so close to where they already are, thanks for solving that mystery for me.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 8:23 am

el mezcal is way better anyway....i just wish they had a patio

Very true! For a while we were going around three times a week for about a year.

Seems like they could convert part of that back lot into a small patio.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:21 am

Seems like they could convert part of that back lot into a small patio.

This is exactly what Pam and I were discussing last night. You could get maybe 4 or 5 tables out there.

Shame about Los C but we hadn't been there as much recently since we like the food at El Mezcal quite a bit better.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:50 am

The East Memphis El Mezcal's Tortilla Soup base is dehydrated creamy chicken by Lipton. I know this soup well from college days. Also the cheese in their chile relleno tasted like metal. It was inedible.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:16 pm

guadalupana kills all
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 3:00 pm

It will have a patio.. that still is a longish drive after a few margaritas.
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 8:26 am

Drove past the location yesterday. Good luck to them.
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 5:04 pm

Sold at 550,000 for the old location. New owners are going to open a Mexican restaurant there.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 8:20 am

guadalupana kills all

Except there's no booze!
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 1:33 pm

And it's not very good.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 9:10 am

New owners are going to open a Mexican restaurant there.

My Ranch O!
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 3:49 pm

nothing is worse than el porton. drove to find the new compadres few days ago. old one and new one closed, went to el porton instead. and will never go again.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 3:51 pm

el porton is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 4:46 pm

should be "El Farton"
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 3:14 pm

nothing is worse than el porton.

You've never been to Pancho's on Summer then?
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 5:29 pm

no, but i dont think i will if it is worse than el porton.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 6:26 pm

El Porton is just embarrassingly bad. And perplexingly busy. Ryan and I made the mistake of going one night last year and I could not even eat my chiles rellenos. The waiter (seemed like a very newly sober, former cokehead) comped the meal even though I didn't ask. I felt bad for the guy.

But I'll never even consider going there again.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 6:50 pm

as i recall, it's cheap?
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 12:11 pm

nothing is worse than el porton. drove to find the new compadres few days ago. old one and new one closed, went to el porton instead. and will never go again.
I had this same horrible experience. Los Compadres needs to open back up soon. I'm jonesin for their Real Grill Tacos.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm jonesin for their Real Grill Tacos.

best thing on their menu
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 2:40 pm

El Porton is just embarrassingly bad

I would never eat there again after having them "celebrate" my birthday by coming up behind me singing and smashing a whipped cream pie in my face. Not sure how they thought I was supposed to finish my meal after that.

Not cool.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 3:50 pm

smashing a whipped cream pie in my face

This makes me want to give them my business.

Mollies is worse than El Porton AND Pancho's.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 12:49 am

Last time at Mollies (12 years?) my companion had a half frozen enchilada. No bueno.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 9:21 am

This makes me want to give them my business.

of course it does.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 11:15 am

Im my opinion there is really not that much difference between the quality of food at El Porton an Los Compadres. Fact is its pretty much the same thing. Los does have more choices on the menu, but by and large I just dont see much of a difference. Same pudding like beans, same dried up rice, same style salsa and chips. They are both very mediocre at best. There are other mexican joints in town to eat at however. Los Comales, La Playita and of course Guadalpana which Im not a fan of really. To bright and no booze!
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 11:16 am

...and yes I agree the real griil tacos at Los are pretty tasty. El Porton has something similar they just call it something else.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 12:36 pm

What it really boils down to, for me, is that Los Compadres has the best Margaritas in town. The food is nothing great, but there's nothing wrong with it either. There are plenty of Taquerias with better food, but none of them have any booze. If someone opened up a good taqueria in mid-town WITH a liquor license, they would blow ever other joint in town out of the water.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 3:48 pm

I agree. Los margs are tasty! I most def have to have either a cold beer or a marg while dining on the Mex!
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I wish Scott Rogers would move.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:21 am

Next door to you so you could spy on me through the bath room window? No thanks.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Mollies

Could someone confirm or deny Billy Gibbons' one-time investment interest in this place?
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Went to Las Delicias at Park and Getwell for lunch today. I'll be going back soon - it was awesome.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am

Went to Las Delicias at Park and Getwell for lunch today. I'll be going back soon - it was awesome.

Booze?
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:53 am

Booze?

That's what I'm waiting on...when they get Margaritas...I'm there
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:15 pm

So I take it there's no booze as of now?
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

I didn't check. It was lunch, and I already had plenty of booze in me.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 1:25 pm

I didn't check. It was lunch, and I already had plenty of booze in me.

they had booze on the bar...wether or not they serve it yet, i dont know

but 25oz dos equis draughts for $5! 5 or 6 tacos, a couple big beers=good meal
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Just went for lunch. Between the four of us we had the guacamole, Aztec soup, steak taco, pork leg torta, steak burrito, enchiladas rojas, chicken tamale, pork tamale. Everyone was happy - sizes were good, flavors were fresh.

From the menu:

Bud, Miller, Coors, Reg & Light - $1.99
Corona, Corona Light, XX, Modelo - $2.99
Micheladas - $3.99

Draft Beer
Miller Light - 12 oz $1.99, 25 oz $3.49, 1 liter $4.99, Pitcher $6.99
XX Amber - 12 oz $2.49, 25 oz $4.49, 1 liter $5.99, Pitcher $7.99

Margaritas (all taxes included), we squeeze the limes, no processed mix
Regular - $4.50
Double - $8.50
Jumbo - $12.50
Pitcher - $18.50
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 3:52 pm

we squeeze the limes, no processed mix

this is the hang up I have with compadres...that neon green shit they serve has to be a mix.

also at delicias, get some molletes...super soft bread with a thin layer of beans, some farmers cheese, pico and lime...so simple, yet so so good
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I have seen them mix that shit at Compadres while sittin up there at the bar. Definitely from a mix and has the most rot gut tequila out there for sure. I have also on several ocassions observed the dudes back there in the kitchen, as you can see them in the window while sittin at the bar. Kinda weird and not sure I ever liked that while gettin my drink on! Gotta try Las Delicias soon. Sounds great!
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 8:10 pm

The warm glow of an open sign is now emanating from the window.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 9:41 am

Las Delicias is awesome! Best margarita around!
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 7:17 pm

I have seen them mix that shit at Compadres while sittin up there at the bar. Definitely from a mix and has the most rot gut tequila out there for sure.

a friend saw them pour cheap jug white WINE in the margarita freezer...i've never liked los compadres' margaritas, and the cheap wine definitely explains the hella headache i have whenever we went there.

i've heard great things about las delicias from 5 different people in the past week. guess me & the little one will have to go check it out for lunch while i'm still on maternity leave.
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 10:44 pm

Went by Las Delicias about 8:00 tonight and they were closed. The door was open and the "open" sign was on, but the kitchen was closed. WTF? 8:00 on Friday? Maybe the string of armed robberies at Park and Getwell is hard on business. Headed down to some flame painted wing shack on Getwell and got 10 full wings for 10 bux. Ate 7, 3 in the fridge for tomorrow.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 8:31 am

Las Delicias is okay. The chips rule, but we had TERRIBLE service. Also, there is an option to melt cheese over the tacos...I highly recommend it when you're there.

Never been a huge fan of Los Compadres, but then again, I don't drink margaritas. The food is average and from the same "mail-away make your own Mexican restaurant" kit as El Porton, El Mescal, Chapultepec, La Hacienda, etc. Same beans, same rice, even the same numbers for the combinations...

I still say Guad reigns supreme in this burg.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 10:12 am

I gotta agree with Tommy. There are some out of the way places that are pretty good, but Guad has never done me wrong. Los Compadres was good when we wanted to go watch boxing, because they always had matches on. The food, its ok. I thought it was, in all honesty, on par with El Porton.
There was a little burrito place on Winchester near Mendenhall on the southside of the street that was amazing. I have no idea what it was called, but that place was killer. Kinda hidden back from the street. The burrito was the size of my head.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Across from the old Thrift City? I forget the name. Very little English. Very tasty carnitas. Been a long time.

I've had bad guad (the plastic in the burrito one day was a drag) but I've eaten there a LOT. For consistency, it's always pretty good. And I'm a fan.

I have nostalgia for the old Acapulco aka Los 7 Mares on Jackson, but can't see myself ever going back.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Yeah, I think it was across from Thrift City. One of my coworkers was from South America, so he was our translator. Very little english was an overstatement. But, the food was killer.
Plastic in a burrito? No good. No good at all.

El Gallo Giro is great if you want to deal with really bad service. But, while you are waiting, you can watch the Hookers on Lamar.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 7:16 pm

never really have been a fan of los compadres. their margaritas weren't that good and their food is pretty feh. at least molly's has good margaritas even if their food is less than stellar. i have to try out this las delicias place because i'm all about some good mexican food with good margaritas. it just seems you could previously only have one or the other in this city.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 8:03 pm

El 7 Mares was the original "hey there are suddenly Mexicans all over the place" classic. Is it still there? I loved that huge, bald mustachioed owner and the great jukebox, not to mention "Cristina", "Un Camino, Dos Mujeres" and "Xuxa" blaring at all hours.
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 2:26 am

Agree with Tommy - service at LD sucks. SUCKS. I'm hoping it's new-restaurant jitters, because the food is good and it's close to home.
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 2:26 pm

El 7 Mares was the original "hey there are suddenly Mexicans all over the place" classic. Is it still there? I loved that huge, bald mustachioed owner and the great jukebox, not to mention "Cristina", "Un Camino, Dos Mujeres" and "Xuxa" blaring at all hours.

It is still there, at least it was when we went about three months ago. New ownership since about December of last year IIRC. Food was decent.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:41 pm

New Los Compadres NOW OPEN!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®