Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / AI in Memphis
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 9:30 am

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 9:54 am

Whoo hoo! Let it begin!
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 11:22 am

'Bout time! Grizzlies'll at least be interesting...
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 11:59 am

Terrible idea.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 12:13 pm

"If Coach tells you that I missed practice, then that's that. I may have missed one practice this year but if somebody says he missed one practice of all the practices this year, then that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Brown that you don't have to give the people of Philadelphia a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people in Philadelphia deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ... If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing"?
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 12:38 pm

shit, they'll be able to pay for his salary by selling Iverson Grizzly jerseys...the'll sell a bazillion of those...smart move I think...
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 1:36 pm

Ah, the infamous "practice" press conference. Text doesn't do it justice.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 1:53 pm

THE ANSWER IS COMING!
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 4:27 pm

as far as team improvement goes, unbelievably bad move. as far as making some money while still fielding a terrible team and without endangering said terribleness. . . totally smart. and i'm sorry to say jughead that as a pistons fan i watched a hell of a lot of iverson last year, and it was anything but intersting. complete yawnfest in fact.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 6:48 pm

shit, they'll be able to pay for his salary by selling Iverson Grizzly jerseys

Thought this too, but apparently the NBA teams split between themselves the $$$ that comes from ALL jersey sales, so it will be an increase across the board, not just more $$$ for the Grizz, assuming more AI jerseys are sold in Memphis than, um, where was he last?

Text doesn't do it justice.

No kidding, I was at work and they block YouTube, so I didn't bother getting the link then, but now, presenting THE ANSWER!

Best of luck to the Grizz (for reals)!!!
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 8:45 pm

OMG i forgot about that! And how all the sportswriters started laughing at his ass and it just egged him on. So good.

Don't forget the Jewelz album. The Plush Club fiddin' to get real interestin'.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 9:34 pm

What is hilarious is listening to local sportscasters back-paddle their anti-AI opinions but not really having much wiggle room. I was hopeful Z-Bo might truly finally grow up but I honestly cannot see AI suddenly be able to maintain a selfless, for the team attitude...whatevs. I'll jump on the bandwagon if they go on a run unless they play Detroit, the Wizards, the Blazers or Phoenix (only cos i luv Steve Nash); I'm shameless.
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

Most awkward press conference ever.

Note to pro sports franchises - never let the general public have a microphone.
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Well, personally, I thought it was pretty good. Sure, we would have all liked to have seen Kubrick make it himself, but since he died before he could even really put the finishing touches on Eyes Wide Shut, this is probably the best take on the material we could hope for. He did express an interest in getting Speilberg to direct it back in the 80s, after all.

Oh, and by the way, the "aliens" in the coda aren't really aliens. They're evolved mechas from the future. Haley Joel Osment is like a Neanderthal to them. It's not really a happy ending, even though it looks like one. He ends up in a zoo. Still, I thought it would have been a more effective ending to just leave him frozen at the bottom of the ocean.
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 9:53 am

and i'm sorry to say jughead that as a pistons fan i watched a hell of a lot of iverson last year, and it was anything but intersting. complete yawnfest in fact.

I wasn't talking about Iverson himself per se, more the whole effect he'll have on the team and the city - judging from the press conference, there's more energy in that building now than... ever?

Who knows, maybe he's got just enough left in the tank. If not, big deal, it's only a year....

The one thing I always loved about AI was his toughness. Has any player in NBA history taken the pound-for-pound beating he has? Maybe his fearlessness will rub off on Conley, OJ, and Rudy and they'll start taking it to the hole!
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm a total sucker. Heard him on the Chris Vernon show and believed every humble word.
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 2:46 pm

me, too. Verno was loving it, too, and asked some good questions. AI was great.

His presence here makes people pay attention. We could at least be an exciting loser, which is better than a boring loser.

Or, he could kick everyone on the team's ass with some toughness, not just the guards. Get some rebounds, block some shots, do some ballin'.

I think everyone has something to look forward to now... and takes the spotlight off U of M and puts it on the Grizz. Good PR move... so far.
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 5:01 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Can we expect more shootings at backyard dice games?
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm

i dunno, you guys are so optimistic i think it's rubbed off just a tiny bit. ok, i'll hope that he'll be more fun with the young guns than he was with an old crotchety team like my pistons. i'll stop being such a curmudgeon at least until i see what happens.
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Just keep thinking "BEST CASE SCENARIO" and everything'll be alright...

I missed Verno, so I dunno if this was addressed, but why would AI wanna start with all the ballhogs, when he can take 20-25 shots with the scrubs?
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 1:29 pm

I didn't hear the entire interview, but he definitely talked about wanting to be a leader/teacher to the younger players. He should embrace the 6th man/"Coming off the bench to rack up points & and demoralize the opponent" role. People love that stuff! Steve Kerr, Manu Ginobli, Bobby Jackson etc etc.
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 2:19 pm

If he comes off the bench, you might as well put his name on the 6th man award right now...

More career advise for Iverson: what better way to show all the contenders that passed on ya that you're a team guy than coming off the pine for the lowly Grizz! If he does that, all these teams will come sniffin' around by the trading deadline...
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 5:31 pm

no go on that part for me guys. you can't tell me he's going to go through all that rationalization in order to be happy coming off the bench when he couldn't even do that for a championship contending type team. he also was only sporadically decent while coming off the bench, mostly because he was pissed. he said already he's not going to be happy as a 6th man, so you might as well just forget that all together.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Something tells me that the fact that Iverson is even here means you have to throw out the ole conventional wisdom. I get the feeling a light bulb has gone off near the vicinity of his noggin'...

No offense to your Pistons, Justice - but he got traded there in the first week of the season last year. Hard to build up any chemistry when you rip the rug out from someone like that. I'm not saying AI has any valid excuse for his time in Detroit, but they didn't give him much time to get comfortable...

But this misses my point about the bench. Let's say he's still the same shot-hogging dude. If he gets 30-35 minutes, he's more than likely to get more shots coming off the bench than playing most of his minutes with the starters. My point is that he can jack up all the shots he wants off the bench and NO ONE will complain (least of all the scrubs, who'll be pinching themselves that they're playing with ALLEN FREAKING IVERSON), everyone will be saying what a great TEAM guy he is, and he can leave the defense to Demarre, Young, and Thabeast...
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm

nope still not happening. he was just as bad in denver and he would not buy your wisdom if he even decided to listen to it. he finds it insulting to come off the bench. it's that simple. he came to memphis because we're bad enough that he might could start. nobody else was offering him a contract hardly, much less a starting spot. don't listen to what he's saying now. he doesn't mean it. no switches have gone off. he doesn't think he was wrong. he thinks everybody else is wrong. period.
and we're not playing the hubie brown rotate 2 lineups anymore so he would rarely be in there even off the bench with nothing but scrubs. Rudy and mayo are still going to play like 35 to 40 minutes a game probably. not much time without them in there to just hoist whenever you feel like it.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 9:59 pm

it's weird, him going from 20 million to 5 (or whatever)... he could buy and sell himself!
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am

Maybe (probably) you're right. I've got my rose-colored glasses on til he melts down. History sez he'll never change, but maybe this summer has so chastened him that he finally will... Guess we'll find out in 2 months...

If he leads this team to the playoffs (or even close to that) I won't care if he starts or comes off the bench....

So, one more piece of advise to the Answer (because I know he's lurking on the Goner board!): Ask to start the season coming off the bench. NOBODY thinks Conley is a better player than you, and when you badly outplay him, EVERYBODY will beg you to start. If starting means everything to you, this is the way to go about it that endears you to the fans, coaches, and most importantly, the other guys on the team...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®