Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / I can't believe no one's posted about the Mayoral Debate!
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 11:40 pm

HAHAHAHAHA!
Now, THAT's entertainment!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 4:47 pm

MONGO! UZIS FOR EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD! YES!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:18 pm

i missed it... i think it's on the ch 5 website... need to check it OUT!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, do.
It was truly a comedy of errors.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:24 am

I was a total geek and Twittered the entire thing; it was too ridiculous not to actually.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:29 am

Other than Mongo, other highpoints included Sharon Webb looking like she'd had some of what Fullilove's having, breaking into giggles after not being able to name two positive things she could do for Memphis and Kenneth Whalum saying "I HATE religion!"
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 1:15 pm | Edited by: robin

I liked how Wanda Halbert spent every one of her minutes throwing around cultural studies words like "disenfranchisement" and "parity"and none of it made any sense. Sharon Webb forgot this wasn't the question and answer round of a beauty pageant, Carol Chumney looked and sounded like she wanted to knife everyone in the room, and Kenneth Whalum went and taunted the lesbians.

What the fuck kind of city has to ask "will you submit to a drug test, yes or no" to their mayoral candidates?!

I was surprisingly, SLIGHTLY impressed by Myron Lowery, Charles Carpenter, and especially Jerry Lawler. But I don't guess any of them would have to say much to slightly impress me.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:41 am

I can't put my finger on Carpenter yet...the fact that he was Herenton's behind the scenes guy for years automatically makes me think less of him, though.

if the election were today, I'd probably be voting for AC, although Lowery & Lawler impressed me more than I expected. Lawler doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

AC's answer to the "would you consult the former administration for advice" didn't really give me a warm fuzzy, though.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 12:16 pm

i watched it twice in a row. it was better than any SNL skit. that Webb, what the hell is she on? she was absolutely insane! and she is the poster child for the need for better education for sure!

mogo mongo mongo. wow.

lawler seems the most down to earth although i agree tiger, no chance in hell.

wharton or lowery it is.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

I truly think Webb may have taken way too many Xanax. Or just enough depending on the venue.

Lawler impressed me with just how calm he was, but I don't think I was truly impressed with him, just impressed because I expected him to be a dumbass.

It didn't bother me when AC said he'd consult the former administration; it was the respectful thing to say and honestly, it would make sense given they were runnin' thangs for so damn long.

I am voting for Wharton, unless Lowery pulls a rabbit out of a hat.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:54 am

I am voting for Wharton, unless Lowery pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

yeah, unless something drastic happens between now & then, i figure this is where i'll fall, too.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 12:33 pm

just impressed because I expected him to be a dumbass.

he's actually a pretty smart guy
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 6:37 pm

Where can you go to watch the whole video? I can find clips on WMCTV's website, but not the whole debate?
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:47 pm

Webb: "whuuut? hahhaha!.... thank you."

That woman should be elected as president of her women's Sunday school class, and that's about it.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:56 am

I thought Ch. 5 put up the entire debate on 5 separate clips...it was 90 minutes long so they had to upload that way.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 4:59 pm

Jerry Lawler = family friend and trust me, dude is smart as hell. He's a very good businessman. I don't know if I think Memphis should be run like a business, but I don't think things would fall to pieces in his hands. I thought what he was saying about being an ambassador for Memphis was pretty spot-on.

Pyramid = WRESTLING HALL OF FAME!!!
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:54 pm

You all know that Webb woman has a PhD, don't you? Guess she got hers the same place Willie got his.

Chicken, you're right. It was just like a SNL skit, only funnier and better.

AC all the way for me. Though, I kind of agree about Lawler and Lowery.
And, Robin, brilliant idea for the Pyramid!
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 8:29 am

You all know that Webb woman has a PhD, don't you? Guess she got hers the same place Willie got his.

Whaaaaaaat???? OK, now I know for a fact anyone can get one. I cannot count the women I work with getting MASTERS DEGREES ONLINE. I would be ashamed to put that on a resume, much less tell people about it. Helllllloooo Arkansas!

Agreed re: Wrestling Hall of Fame. I am so sick of everyone proposing ANOTHER music museum.

I could tell Lawler was smart, but I feel uneasy about him as the mayor, at least right this minute. I'd love to see him get on the City Council and kick much ass. I know he could be elected.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 1:34 pm | Edited by: Will

not to bust on Lawler (he certainly couldn't do worse than Willie or more than half the folks in that abortion of a debate) but "running Memphis like a business" is some shit naive wite folks who live in Colllierville say. It sounds good, but it's hardly practical. Memphis has way, way too many folks living at or below the poverty line, and too few folks contributing to the tax base. That's not a knock against said folks; just the facts. I'm all for pruning the bullshit, getting rid of dead weight, etc. But the question is how to get more revenue - outside of rasing property taxes so high that even people like me say fuck it and leave. We've got to attract new business (duh), start fining derelict property owners, and I'd suggest a small payroll tax on the bridge & tunnel folk who work in the city limits. It's a start...
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 1:40 pm

and obviously the first step to attracting new busines is having a city ambassador that's not a embarrasment. Willie's gone, the rest is up to us. or something.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 6:30 pm | Edited by: robin

It would be good if Memphis could get a mayor who would advocate for a state income tax.

I said it.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 6:37 pm

if it offsets my property tax a bit I wouldn't be altogether opposed.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 7:41 pm

Why TN still hasn't a state income tax is insane. I work in Arkansas and have to deduct from my income their state tax. I won't have to pay as much, but I'll pay something, which is fair considering the time I spend there. So, agreed on that which would make Arkansans and all those fine Mississippi folks working in TN pay into our till as they should.
And I'm all kinds of behind toll booths at 240 and 55. Sure, I'd be paying but perhaps then the roads and surrounding greenspace could not look like a bomb hit Memphis.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 8:11 pm

All this should come with a large sales tax reduction, particularly on groceries!

And this whole double Shelby County/City property tax is also a joke.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 8:17 pm

Yeah, the only reason for the astronomical sales tax is because of the lack of a state income tax. An income tax would be of huge benefit to Memphis- less into the till, but more out. Why more people in the city don't get behind this effort is beyond me.

All the double city/county BS is a joke, not just the property tax. Segregation's crumbs at the bottom of the toaster is what it is.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 10:13 am

No kidding. You would not believe all the crying from clueless Shelby County residents about the proposed committee to explore consolidation. It's ridiculous. They are basically being told that all of the Shelby County "cities" will legally have their own charters and governments, but that certain services etc would be combined and still they are freaking out about stuff like "I don't want my trash service to change!"

Right.

It blows my mind how these same financial wunderkinds who stomp their feet over taxes just go along with this ever increasing INSANE sales tax! I guess they're aware of how to write of that boat purchase somehow to their business.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 2:46 pm

I guess they're aware of how to write of that boat purchase somehow to their business.

Bingo. That's the whole thing right there.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®