Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Chick Fil A on Union
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/25/chick-fil-a-stands-up -for-heritage/

Way to go Memphis Heritage. Looks ridiculous. The worst kind of preservation.

Tear shit down. Move forward.

Speaking of which, it's time for Anderton's to go, too. Sorry.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 10:38 am

"The ornate brick edifice also may serve as a monument to the idea of compromise"

hahahahaha

i do love chic fil a though! i will def drive by that big odd church wall to get to some chicken nuggets.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 12:48 pm

God is dead, SATAN LIVES!!!

Fuck Chick-Fil-A and their Jesus chicken.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Tear s@#$ down. Move forward.

I disagree with this. New stuff sucks.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm

New stuff does suck, but so does leaving one part of a church wall standing in a parking lot for no reason. It all sucks.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm

I just don't understand the appeal of Chic-fil-A. How can they justify that much money for a standard, fast-food chicken sandwich? At most other fast-food chains, the same sandwich is on the dollar menu.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 4:58 pm

How can they justify that much money for a standard, fast-food chicken sandwich?

because it's damn tasty; that's why.

i was all for the preservation of the facade when i thought that they were going to actually incorporate the facade into the building....but now that it's just standing there in the parking lot, it's going to look ridiculous, and the next time we have a hurricane elvis, bye bye facade.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 5:18 pm

A false facade. I always doubted the possibility.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm

the next time we have a hurricane elvis, bye bye facade.

I'm sure that they checked its lateral stability for wind (and braced it accordingly). It's the seismic forces you're going to have to worry about.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 5:42 pm

you can use the facade as the front to a newer building and it does not look bad. i personally like architectural reuse as opposed to just tearing shit down. it may look bad for the time being but it may get a new use before it is all done and over with.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm

history blows
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 6:46 pm

I haven't seen it live and in person and while I would have likely preferred a building incorporating the old building, even if just the facade, I can't say this is an awful compromise, unless I end up being disgusted by it every time I drive down Union.

There are plenty of other disgusting things already standing on a typical drive down Union and I honestly don't see this approaching in terms of ugliness the following sites: Abortion protesters, Bioscript Pharmacy, Shoneys, Danvers, the decrepit old Trousseau building and the combo building of Methodist Hospital imaging center/random Democratic headquarters and whatever else is in there now...
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 8:13 pm

A false facade. I always doubted the possibility.

HAWW!

Union is beautiful!
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 1:25 am

I'm just glad that the moral half of this city's population has decided to brave the more treacherous parts of town and extend a loving and christ-like hand and teach all you ignorant,hedonist,elitist,midtown liberal sodomites a thing or two about good'ol christian family values. Bring on the lunch-hour-soccer mom-stampede!!!!!
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 10:19 am

Speaking of which, it's time for Anderton's to go, too. Sorry.

Allegedly, Crye-Leike Real Estate is going to be building their new office there. I believe they plan on using the existing facade.
On the other hand, I don't know why they're moving so slow.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 1:17 pm

At least it's not a Burger King
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 1:55 pm

local press uhg, blah blah blah. every opinion in this CA article is fanatically supportive. no criticism, one sided peices, boundless praise, bad journalism, that's the CA. the title is "Chick-fil-A stands up for heritage", but you read into it and see they wanted to demolish the entire building but were prohibited. they settled the dispute with memphis heritage by dropping them cash + leaving a wall up. this isnt innovative or useful; it's janky.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 2:03 pm

this is one of the goddam dumbest things i've ever seen.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Unless one of us firebombs it to the ground, I don't think any of us have a right to complain.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Tear down a Burger King and build an identical Burger King in its place. Stimulus dollars at work.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 2:42 pm

wow i can think of a million other things that look a lot worse than this. and i don't think chick-fil-a stands up for heritage at all. memphis heritage stood up for architectural beauty, and chick-fil-a buckled under pressure is more what happened.

hopefully someone will eventually make use of the wall that is up. while it's not innovative or useful for the time being, as time passes maybe someone will do something with it. and i really hope crye leike gets a move on with using the facade of andertons. the bad graffiti tags are really starting to take over that place.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Yeah. Don't they understand how derelict landlords bring down the property values of a neighborhood?
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 3:21 pm

chick-fil-a never buckled and wasn't under much pressure. the people who are at fault for this weird situation are the church people themselves. they are the ones that tried to force through the sale because they wanted the money. chick-fil-a left it up because they thought that's what the neighborhood wanted. the church itself didn't give a fuck about the building the facade or anything else. and if chick-fil-a donated any money to memphis heritage (which I extremely doubt) it would have been after this was already settled out, because they offered to leave the facade up after about 2 seconds once all parties sat down and the plan was immediately accepted.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

somewhat off-topic--

i almost hate to say this ('cause he so fucking hateable) but it's about time Memphis went all Giuliani on absentee property owners. get some eyesores fixed or at least shake some dough loose in the way of fines.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 4:55 pm

upon further reading of my post, i must retract one part for sure. the church isn't at fault for the weird situation now, memphis heritage trying extra hard to save a building before all the facts were in, and then accepting what does to me appear to be a pretty ugly compromise is what's at fault for the facade. don't know why i wrote that up there in the second line of my post.
my brain be misfiring.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Don't they understand how derelict landlords bring down the property values of a neighborhood?

that has nothing to do with it. if people continue to vandalize it, it's going to make it a little more difficult to restore and reuse. people keep breaking things on it too. the windows are shattered and various pieces keep falling off.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Sick of fucking taggers boosting their rep by covering every piece of property with their stupid fake names, causing eyesores that cost tax dollars to cover up. Pussies, write your real fucking names and your addresses.

I am very fond of the new grafitti-on-billboards trend exemplified by the one southside of Poplar heading westbound just as you're about to cross the overpass:
The Stuporcuts one I can do without, but the Burger King breakfast croissant with "Vermon Diorhea" (sic) scrawled across the piece of ham is great!

Fuck advertising, send the admen to Iraq.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am

that has nothing to do with it. if people continue to vandalize it, it's going to make it a little more difficult to restore and reuse. people keep breaking things on it too. the windows are shattered and various pieces keep falling off.

if a it was being worked on, and construction was being done, that graffitti wouldn't be there. I don't remember Andertons being covered in spray paint when it was open.

More non-news in the CA about Overton Square today... these historic homeless hangouts are really fantastic. Are they gonna try to save the French Quarter's historic hot tubs, too?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:53 am

Are they gonna try to save the French Quarter's historic hot tubs, too?

I've got a little history there. Huzzah!
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Sorry Eric, but if this SHIT is what they have in mind for a proposal...I gotta nix that crap. If they actually come up with something better than the Cordova Look, well, I'd think about a different opinion.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 4:50 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Architecture sucks.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:21 pm

oooh that reminds me to check how the burger king redux is going on union. I can't believe they knocked the old one entirely down just to build another, but then again I am not really the believing type.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 10:55 am

must have been infested
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 10:59 am

Infested with "Vermon Diorhea".
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am

Burger King breakfast croissant with "Vermon Diorhea" (sic) scrawled across the piece of ham is great!

this one is pretty awesome. i just don't like the "tags" where people spray their name on there and it's not even done very well. i like graffiti, just not poorly done graffiti or shit that isn't funny. the vermon diorhea one is pretty goddamn hilarious.

if a it was being worked on, and construction was being done, that graffitti wouldn't be there. I don't remember Andertons being covered in spray paint when it was open.

which is why i wish someone would hurry up and fix it and do something with it. i WANT someone to USE the wall instead of just letting it sit there and get covered in graffiti. just like i wish someone would use those buildings on madison avenue where melos, sip, etc. all used to be and overton square too. they've done a lot of work revitalizing downtown, now something needs to be done about midtown.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:50 am

I bet rat shit tastes pretty good on one-o them there french-roll-thingies.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:45 am

I just drove by it last night for the first time, and I have to it looks fucking awful. I doubt there's anyone more excited than me about a Chic-Fil-A opening up in Midtown, but it looks truly awful...truly.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Trader Joe's fans, here's a link to lobby for them to come to Memphis...

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/whining_dining/2009/08/you-really-wa nt-a-tjs.html
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 4:50 pm

trader joe's is awesome
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 5:13 pm

Spent lots of my Oregon EBT dollars on trader joe's sushi.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 7:35 pm

I spent much of my Ebt card at Papa Murphys feeding the Party Time guys at Steel World.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:20 pm

I wouldn't mind having a chick-fil-a up here even if it did have a rurnt old church wall in the parking lot.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:58 am

Chick-fil-a was only good when it was free and on toothpicks at the food court at Mall of Memphis.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 9:51 am

Chick-fil-a was only good when it was free and on toothpicks at the food court at Mall of Memphis.

hahaha. I remember that.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 9:57 pm

christian chicks migrating from a sweat shop in g town to service me with a sandwhich and a smile can go ahead and sneak a pamphlet in the wrapper for 8 dollahs any day.trollin for ic chix recruits.what a career ahead
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:38 pm

Chick fil a is great when you're broke because they periodically mail out coupons for a free sandwich, and then never collect the coupon. I think my record was something close to 20 free sandwiches before anyone ever asked me for my coupon.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 9:59 am

I like the "free shake" coupons too and I can hack the Bites or whatever they call their little chicken nuggets about twice a year with the honey mustard sauce.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 10:44 am

Never set foot in one. Don't plan on it even with one close to the house.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:30 pm

Bushrod loves that place. He used to have a chick-fil-a calander on his wall with the coupons, go to the mall,actually redeem the coupons, and eat that shit!!!

He's crazy
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:33 pm

We must have passed 2 burger Kings on the way over there, but NOOO!!!!

he just had to have that damn chick-fil-a christian crap.

One day he told me there's no way I could ever keep a job there.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:53 pm

Linda, that place would think you were Satan Incarnate. They'd never stop testifying to you and would likely force you to listen to their Chick fil a radio Christian radio in a locked walk-in rather than trust Satan to properly put those pickles on their dry sandwiches.

I get so irritated with the one on Poplar by Belmont Grill when their drive through is so crowded, traffic is backed up almost to Mendenhall causing all kinds of HELL! I don't think Jesus would be too fond of that kind of selfish behavior for some overrated deep fried chicken products.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 8:39 am

Y'all are crazy. God makes some tasty motherfuckin' chicken.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 5:01 pm

free chicken sandwich on Labor day if you where your favorite sports team logo.

-ryan
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 6:16 pm

don't do it.

the creator has a master plan.
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 4:34 am

Linda, that place would think you were Satan Incarnate.

That's very similar to what Rod mentioned.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®