Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / What venues don't make you pay for...
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:14 pm

the sound man/PA???
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Buccaneer. But there is no sound man, and the PA is what it is.

You do get what you pay for, I guess.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:50 pm

P&H?
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 1:12 am | Edited by: fascistmustache

well, for what some places charge you should get to take a fucking floor monitor or a mic home with you
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 9:09 am

P&H is a DIY set up, too, yer right.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am

Full Moon Club
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

I heard P&H won't let you do a cover at the door?

So there are two places in the midtown-ish area bands can make a little change without providing a PA or fronting money to the sound man/PA turner-on-er:

Buccaneer
Full Moon Club

Any others? What's it like for local bands in other cities?
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Murphy's will let you use your own PA. Make money? Beale Street.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 5:52 pm

P&H won't let you do a cover at the door?

Not true unless things have changed since last winter... I think it's hard to cover both the front and back doors, but they don't stop you from charging.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Murphy's will let you use your own PA.

...without providing a PA or fronting money to the sound man/PA turner-on-er

Make money? Beale Street.

...make a little change
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Not true unless things have changed since last winter

They have. They don't want to discourage the regulars from patronizing the joint by making them pay a cover when bands play.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am

Murphy's will let you use your own PA.

...without providing a PA or fronting money to the sound man/PA turner-on-er

Yes.

P&H won't let you do a cover at the door?

They charge cover sometimes. You have to work it out ahead of time.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:06 am | Edited by: Wire

[url=http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum =2&topic=30778&page=0#msg424964]Already been discussed[/url]

eric o: it's not a big deal. it's 50 bucks for a PA & someone to run it, or set up your own for shows during the week.

sherman: If your shitty little band can draw no more than 10 people at 5$ a head, do a private party in your band practice space. Otherwise, book a gig and expect to have a little bit of overhead.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:50 am

not a big deal, no! i'm all for soundman & bartenders making the money & providing good places to see/ hear bands. all for it. yep.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:16 am

i'm all for soundman & bartenders making the money & providing good places to see/ hear bands.

Me too!
Imagine that.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 1:11 pm

the hi tone covers the cost of the sound guy now, and murphy's does on the weekends.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 1:55 pm

not a big deal, no! i'm all for soundman & bartenders making the money & providing good places to see/ hear bands. all for it. yep.

Some people use the term "soundman" pretty loosely.especially considering that more often then not they will be making more money than any one member of any band.Which seems cool until I remember its the band members paying the sound guy and not the venue.
Side 2: Good places to see.hear bands...-case and point.

the hi tone covers the cost of the sound guy now
from what I gather, they have been doing this for a while now,they will still take it out of the door cover though. A big difference is that if the door doesn't make enough, they don't tell the bands to dig into their pockets to come up with the rest
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

the hi tone covers the cost of the sound guy now
from what I gather, they have been doing this for a while now,they will still take it out of the door cover though. A big difference is that if the door doesn't make enough, they don't tell the bands to dig into their pockets to come up with the rest

they haven't taken it out of the door at shows i've been involved in. the bar is actually paying the sound man and door guy now. it's been that way for at least a year.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm

i'm all for soundman & bartenders making the money & providing good places to see/ hear bands.

Yeah, but the bands need to make a little something too. At least enough to pay for strings, tubes, batteries, sticks, picks, dicks, etc...

they haven't taken it out of the door at shows i've been involved in. the bar is actually paying the sound man and door guy now. it's been that way for at least a year.

Good to know somebody's gettin' it right.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah, but the bands need to make a little something too. At least enough to pay for strings, tubes, batteries, sticks, picks, dicks, etc...

i agree! that's why i think that odessa place is so stupid. i dunno if they're still under this "policy" but last year they approached me about booking a show, and they said they were strictly against paying local bands, and if i wanted to do that i would have to go somewhere else or i couldn't use the name odessa....it would be tarnishing their name or something. i just went somewhere else.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm | Edited by: Wire

Which seems cool until I remember its the band members paying the sound guy and not the venue.

Well, the band doesn't have to get there before the show, stay for the whole show, and wait for the band to clear the stage before packing up the sound gear. The sound guy does.

The band presumably likes the music they play. The sound guy may not.

If it's work to play, don't play. It's work to run sound.

I've done it for free when I like the band and paid to get in (P&H).

I've done it so that the bands playing that night don't have to pay anyone if I'm also playing that night (Murphy's).

And I've done it for money from the venue, from the door, and from the promoter who didn't bother to charge his friends (Murphy's).
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

We do our best to make sure that the musicians that play here, local or
otherwise, get some money. If we've taken a loss on guarantees, the
locals might not get paid. Most people seem to understand. But we have never charged anyone out of pocket for production, ever.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I don't think this is right. I think, as Dan said, they don't charge out of pocket, but they take the money off the door/bar for the sound guy and the person who works the door -which comes out of money that the paid may or may not get paid... The key thing is that they don't make the bands pay if the draw is shitty.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, the band doesn't have to get there before the show, stay for the whole show, and wait for the band to clear the stage before packing up the sound gear. The sound guy does.

The band presumably likes the music they play. The sound guy may not.

If it's work to play, don't play. It's work to run sound.

I've done it for free when I like the band and paid to get in (P&H).

I've done it so that the bands playing that night don't have to pay anyone if I'm also playing that night (Murphy's).

And I've done it for money from the venue, from the door, and from the promoter who didn't bother to charge his friends (Murphy's).

As an engineer and an a/v tech, I know all about the work that goes into a production, and like eric, I agree that the engineers and technicians deserve to make money. The way I am starting to feel is that this is not L.A., its not Austin, and its not even Nashville. Friends of mine have payed(out of pocket) to play shows in these places but usually made at least double that when all was said and done. Memphis isn't quite that saturated where its come to this, not like the above places anyway. I'm not gonna split hairs about "who does more work" at an event..
The hitone seems to do things right, and they aren't running a small "vox only p.a." either. Although, no offense, I have heard that the Hi Tone can be a little "clique-y", in this economy, I can't really fault someone for sticking to bands they know will bring people in. If we just had one more place like the hi tone, a little smaller (like 150-200 capacity),problem solved.

Of course there will probably always be people who are willing to pay to play, so there really isn't a point in criticizing places that charge. A list of places that will let you book an event and not charge you for using their p.a. would be great though. From what I gather its seems your options are the Buccaneer, Full Moon, and Hi Tone.. and maybe the P+H?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:19 pm

what's the policy at nocturnal? same as murphy's? we need to bring back pho hoa binh as a venue! when are they going to finish the new parallax theatre?
(ok those last two i know aren't happening but a guy can dream huh?)
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:42 pm

We do all kinds of different deals for all kinds of different bands. Sometimes we take some production fees and sometimes we don't. It all depends on what we have agreed on beforehand. Feel free to email me at hitonecafe@gmail about any booking concerns or questions and I'll be happy to do what I can.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I really, really like playing at the Hi-Tone, but I've only played there as the smallest band on a big bill because we don't draw on our own.

If you draw, you can play any club in town. If you don't, play a Buc Matinee and work your own PA or play Murphy's and pay Quinn. Or get on a bigger bill and play for free and start building an audience.

All these problems are avoided if you have fans who will pay to see you. If you don't, who should bear the expense of your show?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Wire is my new hero!!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 2:46 am

what's the policy at nocturnal?
$75 from the door for the soundguy, band mans the door.

But I promise to give you a mix worth at least $112.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 3:09 am

I've run sound at several places.
Many times for free, or even partial payment (sometimes $5.00 or less).
I've given the money I earned to the bands on a number of occasions (local or not).
I don't care. I have a day job for now. If you suck, and are a bitchy set of divas about how many DIs you need, fuck the fuck off. If you have so much technology driving your band, well, maybe it's not your band that rules, but the shit you bought from Guitar Center or ebay.
I once did sound for a two piece - bass and drums- who took an hour to set up because bass-dude's pedal didn't work. I did everything I could to help. Did I get paid for sitting in a bar for 5 hours (the other two bands sucke shit, and I hope they become "math-rock for the Disney Channel")? No. The band took the door. Thanks, Buddies!
I've been at gigs wher the crowd was 50 +. At the end of the night, they tell me $25 is all they got. With a smile and handshake, I said, "Keep on coming back". I didn't like the music, but the band did what they did, people had a good time, and I guess I'm the loser. I don't really care.

You may have a tried and true degree from Steve Albini's "School of I'm familliar with a/v or p/a technology".
Good for you. Some of the "exorcised venues" that you imply may let you do your own sound. Most places, if you know how to keep a band from shoving mics up their asses, or throwing the venue's property to the concrete because "we're raw and we don't care!" will be accomodating.

Some gigs you have to pay for, some, you don't. I think it really depends on the sound guy.

I'll ask this, and flip the script:
Who is your band?
What venues are giving you "the shaft"?
Have you worked with the offending venue?
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 3:42 am

The way I am starting to feel is that this is not L.A., its not Austin, and its not even Nashville.

You are right. Memphis is a little more "struggle-ish". It ain't necessarilly right, but that's how it works. For better or for worse (I wish the Memphis Music Commisssion former head would stop sending me e-mails about their leader's band playing Classic Rock in Tunica).

Tour out of town if you think you're "that big". You are more well recieved in Memphis (as a local band) if you get your work done and noticed outside of here.

That's how it always has rolled. For better or for worse. Hell; when the Tennessee Titans were temporarilly here in Memphis, everyone went to games to see their favorites play (out-of-town-teams, a la Pittsburgh Steelers).

If your band is "that awesome", take the MGMT or Saliva route.

Lived and seen shows here all my life, and never heard of them until Rolling Stone said they were the bee's knees.

You don't sound like you're from "around here". aMove to those other towns to "make it".
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am

Word of warning about Full Moon Club. You can use their PA for free but be sure to bring your own mics and cables. Also, I'm not sure the PA worked when we were there. Maybe it was missing the PA speaker cables? I don't know, but find out what the situation is before hand so that you don't show up without what you need.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 9:32 am

well, for what some places charge you should get to take a fucking floor monitor or a mic home with you

What places and how much?
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:04 pm

what's the policy at nocturnal?
$75 from the door for the soundguy, band mans the door.

But I promise to give you a mix worth at least $112.

We paid 75, but didn't get a sound check, nothing in the monitors, and a lot of electricity...the drums sounded ok but I credit that to the sound of the room
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:45 pm

All these problems are avoided if you have fans who will pay to see you. If you don't, who should bear the expense of your show?

Bingo!
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Yeah, so what band are you in again?
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 1:03 pm

We paid 75, but didn't get a sound check, nothing in the monitors, and a lot of electricity...the drums sounded ok but I credit that to the sound of the room

Yeah that room sounds better than any other bar-type place in Memphis but I thought Kyle had all the bands sounding as good as they could sound last night. The Mary Jane vocals sounded lovely. I don't think there are floor monitors though so you can't hear the vocals or guitars very well on stage (but I've played at the hitone a few times where they don't even turn them on..so fuck), but all the bands sounded good. I'd give $104.57 for the mix and have enough to buy a back yard burger combo after. You just need to cut your hair and learn how to flip the switch on the back of the amp you fuckin bitch!

You may have a tried and true degree from Steve Albini's "School of I'm familliar with a/v or p/a technology".
I would totally get this degree if I got couple of free Josephson e22s when I graduate
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Nocturnal IS the best sounding room in Memphis and Kyle made The Everyday Parade sound like a million bucks last month...I'm STILL getting compliments on the sound from that show.
I got a bargain at 75 dollars believe me...
The side fill monitors blew my head off last month and last weekend when The Pacemakers played there.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 2:42 pm

I guess there was a reason it was the Antenna for so long. Go figure.

Yeah, so what band are you in again?
My name is Matt. I play in the Six String Jets, Angel Sluts, Rainy Saturdays, Art Fags, DuckMasters, Isley Brothers, Stooges, Barkays, Sex Pistols, and Duran Duran (ok not the last 5). I like kittys, real boobs, fags and lotion (clearly), short walks near the beach, garbanzo beans, Jack Stands, protein shakes, and girls that work at the Memphis Flyer.

Not trying to start an argument or disrespect sound men. Kyle, Robin, Joel, Quinn (well only when he gets smoked out and messes with the echo alot) rule it and deserve to get paid for what they do. I even tried to give Robin money, food or an asian massage for recording stuff for us but he wouldn't take it! I was just wondering where a gal can play where she doesn't have to pay for the PA especially if she doesn't have a much of following (yet or at all) or is trying to get out of town bands some gas/food money. And the only places I knew of were the Bucc and Full Moon. Just wondering if there were other places out there I don't know about so it could be done on the cheap. I just wanna play the guitar, make enough to cover picks and strings, and get the occasional 3 way. Is that asking too much? I love you all {{{HUGS}}}
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Doesn't Neals have some sort of open mike thing?
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, I guess it depends on what expenses we are talking about. If the "rider" states that the venue provide 4 made to scale cheese sculptures of lady divine, a vhs copy of The Bridges of Madison County, catering from Mcalisters, and a fluffing from the sound man, then perhaps the band better make some money to cover all that. I don't expect whoever is running the PA (not the glorified karaoke machines some call a PA) to work for nothing.... I've talked to a lot out of town bands that basicly got "shook down" for what they had to "pay the sound guy" when other bands usually play without paying.... Its whatever, the obvious solution is to just not play where they charge money, and if you end up playing somewhere that does, make sure you play with a band that the sound guy is friends with/likes..
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 2:43 am

What band? Did you ASK for a soundcheck? Did you ASK for anything in the monitors?
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 4:06 am

Not the Beauty Shop. Ya gotta bring your own. But if you can swing it, it's a hell of a place to see a show.

GO SEE THE BARE WIRES ON SUNDAY.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 4:16 am

The obvious solution is "have fans who will pay to see you." I don't. So I play the bottom of full bills and count myself lucky. I loved the shit out of playing a Buc Matinee two years ago with Tom, no rehearsal, and Richwad singing "Louie Louie" or whatever it is we wound up doing.

If you (the collective you, all the people in the band, all the bands on the bill) can't get 10-15 people to pay $5.00, then you don't get to play in public unless you provide the venue and/or the PA. How is this difficult to understand? 0 to 9 people ought to be able to hear you unless you play sampled mouse farts out of your iPod

It's the entertainment business. The people being entertained pay. If it's your fans, you get paid. If it's you, you get to pay.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:41 am

renting a P.A. and playing a gig at the Pumping Station is a wonderful idea! Every tuesday!!!!

DO IT!!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 1:37 pm

It's the entertainment business. The people being entertained pay. If it's your fans, you get paid. If it's you, you get to pay.
I understand fully that this is the way it is in some places, and people who profit for it being that way don't want it to change.

I know that more "popular" bands play at these places (on weeknights) don't get charged, even though they make more money than the shows with more out of town acts or lesser known local bands. Obviously because its a tight knit group that knows each other and not wanting to charge your friends and all.
Everytime I have played with out of town bands that play at these places they are shocked to hear that out of all the nice pubs and venues they've played on their tour, memphis is one of the few places that are gonna charge them... Hell, I've seen one band that didn't want to pay Murphy's pull out a 200wtt keyboard amp and run vox through it and it was the first time I have ever heard vox at Murphy's.... Its real ass backwards to me...instead of the venue worrying about the"guarantee" for the band, the band has to worry about paying the venue??

renting a P.A. and playing a gig at the Pumping Station is a wonderful idea! Every tuesday!!!!

Fuck Pumping Station....wait till the J Waggs reunion show.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Yawn. Oh, hey- Benny here (owner of Murphy's and Nocturnal).

Thanks for re-hashing the same old, same old.

I was paying Davis McCain and the Antenna club $50 for sound in 1985 for God's sake!

BUY YOUR OWN FUCKING P.A. AND USE IT! (Mics, Stands, Speakers, Cables, Processing, et al)

Otherwise, understand a phrase called "production costs".

And enjoy the beers I bought you.

How come nobody ever bitches about the lighting systems?

:^)
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Hell, I've seen one band that didn't want to pay Murphy's pull out a 200wtt keyboard amp and run vox through it and it was the first time I have ever heard vox at Murphy's....

Dear Memphis,

I have turned your p.a. on for close to 4 years now and I've reached a breaking point with my patience for your local bands. I know that "running sound" at Murphy's doesn't seem like it takes much effort and in a way it doesn't. What takes the effort is:
chasing the bands around to try to get them on stage before 11:30, having everyones girlfriend/drunk mom or dad try to tell me to turn the vocals up when they are at the point where if they're turned up any louder the feed back created will make my teeth fall out
having people dump beer on me or push me down while I try to pick up microphones that have been knocked down by the band themselves or some idiot in the audience
having to force 50 dollars out of the doorguy/lead singers hand at the end of the show that 3 people came to
having to stay through the 4th band that plays for an hour to no one, having to get yelled at for being outside while the band I could care less about seeing much less hearing needs "more monitor."
having to take the blame when something gets broken
having people treat me like I'm lazy when all I want to do is have fun like everybody else
having to wrestle with a drinking problem
having bands tell me after i've sat through their boring performance that i don't deserve to be paid
having to ask broke musicians for money they don't have
and on and on...

That being said who is going to replace me? Benny I know you said you had someone in mind and I'm not trying to quit on a message board but all of the fun of running sound at Murphy's has dried up for me. My greatest wish is that Murphy's will continue to have the awesome live shows (that were too small for the Hitone) that it has developed a reputation for having and that Memphis will continue to be a spawning ground for new bands. I love everyone in the Memphis music community but I need a change of pace...

I feel a lot better with that off of my chest. Thanks gonerboard!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 4:23 pm

I still think the pumping station is a great place to start having shows
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 4:26 pm

all you fags are gonna LUVVIT
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 6:29 pm

I know that more "popular" bands play at these places (on weeknights) don't get charged, even though they make more money than the shows with more out of town acts or lesser known local bands. Obviously because its a tight knit group that knows each other and not wanting to charge your friends and all.

well obviously they're not going to get charged because they're bringing business into the bars! there's a lot of memphis bands who clear the bar. why should the bar pay to have them drive away customers?

.instead of the venue worrying about the"guarantee" for the band, the band has to worry about paying the venue??

again, why should the bar have to pay for a sound man when the band isn't bringing in any business? there's a lot of local bands and touring bands that don't make it worth the $50 (or whatever fee there is) worth it to the bar. i think that's why murphy's started making the sound fee come out of the door on weeknights. on the weekend they usually have a crowd no matter what, but on the week nights it's pretty dead....even if some band that thinks it's time to tour even though nobody has heard of them other than their girlfriends is playing that night.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 7:22 pm

everyone happy now?

maybe I'll go all karaoke. solves that.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 7:23 pm

really bad karaoke.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 7:23 pm

bad.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:05 pm

How come nobody ever bitches about the lighting systems?

I do all the time. No one listens.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm

I do all the time. No one listens.

Maybe if you had a PA...
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:24 am

I really do love this board.

Eric and Zac- you rock.

No snivellers will ever keep Murphy's down... in-house or out.

Not mentioning any names- Quinn.

Git down.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:29 am

and, of course, I am TOTALLY in love with misslinda.

shhhh. don't tell any one...
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:54 am

Long live Murphy's! Let the record state that my departure from the sound position at Murphy's has nothing to do with the owner, employees or patron's of said venue. Benny and the gang have always taken care of me in every way imaginable. I'm just burnt out on the role of the "p.a. turner on'er" and ready to get back to being another guy that came to enjoy a show.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:35 am

when are they going to finish the new parallax theatre?

Do what? That place was the devil.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 5:47 pm

So when does the karaoke start? I can't wait! My self-imposed Murphy's ban is about to expire.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 2:05 am

stay banned, pony boy. stay banned.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 9:13 am

stay banned, pony boy. stay banned.

Brilliant!
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:07 am

No way, Bennie. I'm coming, and I'm bringing Dan with me. We're going to sing Joan Jett songs all night.

Can I get more hair in the monitors?
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't do karaoke much anymore, but I'm sure if Murphy's tried it, it would be more entertaining than Joel's heavy metal karaoke project ever thought about being.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 1:06 pm

That was only funny when Quinn was the MC.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 5:24 pm

It wasn't funny then either.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 3:58 am

DAN & JOEL= ROCK.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 11:28 am

That's kinda funny.
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 4:54 am

We do all kinds of different deals for all kinds of different bands. Sometimes we take some production fees and sometimes we don't. It all depends on what we have agreed on beforehand. Feel free to email me at hitonecafe@gmail about any booking concerns or questions and I'll be happy to do what I can.

i never got my $3,900 guarantee + bus full of certified virgins, DAN! also what's with the $69 "smoke machine fee" you put on my credit card.

though we had an agreement...
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 1:16 pm

Dude, just consider yourself lucky I waived the Autoharp fee.
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 2:24 pm

Dude, just consider yourself lucky I waived the Autoharp fee.

True...we were blindsided by that one and had to drop all of the Lovin' Spoonful from our set...always read the fine print
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 6:13 pm

"You didn't have to be so nice,
I would have liked you anyway."
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 9:45 am

Dan's getting funnier.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®